Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-03-17, 05:49 PM
All Ohio

JimmyOhio75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Joe Yost steps down at Ellet after 38 years.

Good luck Joe. Quite the legacy at Ellet.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/high-scho...asons-1.751001
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-17, 06:58 PM
All Region

chito is on a distinguished road
Congrats of a fine career Coach.
Old 03-03-17, 07:14 PM
Freshman

Max73 is on a distinguished road
Joe Yost was an excellent coach and mentor. His impact on turning boys into men was enormous. He was such a positive, hard working person. He will never be replaced. His devotion to his players and the Ellet community will never be surpassed. He truly is a special human being. Thank you, Coach Yost, may God bless you !
Old 03-03-17, 07:20 PM
All American

Orangeman89
I was one of his biggest critics when it came to his ultra conservative playcalling and game management but you won't meet a better person. Joe was someone who valued the ultimate character of his players over winning. He was a true gem and well respected by his peers. Ellet football will never be the same.

As a parent with a son in the program I'm excited about the possibilities of the future. It's a fairly attractive job with the new school and field upgrades coming. Lots of community support and funding available. Interesting to see who applies and who Vassalotti chooses.
Old 03-03-17, 09:35 PM
All Ohio

smash mouth 34
Hire one of the guys on staff. They're all Ellet guys who have been a part of the program for years. Not much will change.
Old 03-03-17, 10:06 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Could Sax come back to take over the Ellet program?? There was lots more to the story of his "stepping out" of the Garfield position than the stated for more family time. Supposedly now he is going to be an assistant at Lake but he'd really like to be a HC again.
Old 03-04-17, 09:30 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
I hear they're bronzing a pair of his tight coaching shorts to present to him at the retirement banquet.

As Orangemen stated, his playcalling could sometimes be questioned, but his commitment to the program and kids could never be questioned.

This job should really attract some decent candidates. Nice youth program, rare committed city school parents, a decent talent pool, helpful boosters and reasonable facilities including a new school being built. Lots of positives to attract candidates. Also, unlike previous years, there are people in the APS athletics administration (Vassalotti and Linger) with a clue.
Old 03-04-17, 11:01 AM
All World

BigWorm can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by smash mouth 34 View Post
Hire one of the guys on staff. They're all Ellet guys who have been a part of the program for years. Not much will change.
No No No...Enough basic football, lets get some guys that will teach the kids how to play
Old 03-04-17, 11:02 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I hear they're bronzing a pair of his tight coaching shorts to present to him at the retirement banquet.

As Orangemen stated, his playcalling could sometimes be questioned, but his commitment to the program and kids could never be questioned.

This job should really attract some decent candidates. Nice youth program, rare committed city school parents, a decent talent pool, helpful boosters and reasonable facilities including a new school being built. Lots of positives to attract candidates. Also, unlike previous years, there are people in the APS athletics administration (Vassalotti and Linger) with a clue.
Spot on
Old 03-04-17, 12:47 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Uh-oh. With no coach in place, Tyrell and Hoban will consider it open season for the Ellet players. I hear the phones ringing now.
Old 03-04-17, 03:57 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYaSometime View Post
Uh-oh. With no coach in place, Tyrell and Hoban will consider it open season for the Ellet players. I hear the phones ringing now.
Old 03-05-17, 08:29 PM
All American

MAROON&GOLDBLOOD
TRUST AND BELIEVE

Hoban already has what they want. Good luck to Coach Yost. He is a great man that has done a lot of good for a lot of young men.
Old 03-07-17, 11:50 AM
All Region

Irish02 is on a distinguished road
People aren't saying much about a guy that has been a HC at the same school for 38 years....
Old 03-07-17, 02:19 PM
All American

hsfan60 is on a distinguished road
Check out the lunch room too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYaSometime View Post
Meet and greet!
Old 03-07-17, 02:36 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish02 View Post
People aren't saying much about a guy that has been a HC at the same school for 38 years....
Much like his career- under the radar. Not said to insult him, he just seems like a low key guy.
Old 03-07-17, 10:35 PM
All Yappi

perry1480 is on a distinguished road
Who coached Ellet prior to Joe Yost?
Old 03-08-17, 08:46 AM
All Region

Irish02 is on a distinguished road
I think it was Wild Bill McClain.
Old 03-12-17, 03:35 PM
All District

Money Ball is an unknown quantity at this point
I hate to see Yost leave Ellet. He was a good dude who loved the kids and always had his teams playing really hard until the end. Will be a shame not to hear his brother warming up the troops with the infamous, "Team Ready!!" Or even during the course of the game you could always hear Coach yelling, "Git 'em, Ellet! Git 'em!"

Things have to change and I think this could be a position that sees a ton of interest. Good Luck to Coach Yost and his skin-tight marble huggers....THOSE bad boys will NOT be missed!
Old 03-15-17, 01:23 PM
All Ohio

smash mouth 34
Any news on the hiring process? It's getting late in the game....Also, wondering why Yost waited until March to make this announcement.
Old 03-15-17, 03:28 PM
All Region

Cali_Eagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
...Also, wondering why Yost waited until March to make this announcement.
Maybe he was privately channeling his inner "Brett Favre" and just couldn't decide whether he wanted to go or come back for one more season?
Old 03-15-17, 04:16 PM
All American

Orangeman89
Quote:
Any news on the hiring process? It's getting late in the game....Also, wondering why Yost waited until March to make this announcement.
I believe it's supposed to be posted as soon as they name the new Kenmore-Garfield coach which was thought to be as early as this week.
Vassalotti said he wanted someone
in place at Ellet before the end of April.

We know coach Laktash and a few others on Joe's staff will apply. Curious to see what kind of attention this gig draws from outside the program, if any.
Old 03-16-17, 07:59 AM
All District

Money Ball is an unknown quantity at this point
They have already named the replacement at Garfield-Kenmore, or whatever the name of the school is going to be. It is Kemp Boyd and all of his 5 wins.

As for Ellet, this one could get a lot of outside attention. Community support, new field turf getting ready to go in within the next year or so, and a new school. What is not to like, unless you want big and strong kids, which Ellet doesn't typically have. They usually do it with quickness and tenacity..."Get 'em Ellet! Get 'em!" The bingo provides a lot of $$ for the programs at Ellet so they already have that aspect in place. It would be a lot like already having a membership card to Sam's Club without paying for it yourself. Just enjoying all of the benefits, but not having to do much except WIN BABY!!

I wonder if Vass has any interest in it? Maybe he could hire himself??? Can't imagine that Shuman would want to take on the head job and still be the softball coach, and same with Sarver, I think he is the baseball coach. What about Vaughn over at Springfield? He went there and played for Yost, but I think he has a nice position over at S-field as the AD and HC of football. Would probably be hard to leave that spot even if it is for the Alma Mater.

Then you gotta think about some other young guys around the area who might be ready to take the reigns. Interest should be plenty in this one. If anyone knows what is up with some other people applying, let us know what's up. I don't feel like going to Sam's today to see what's up.