Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-15-18, 06:50 PM
All American

falguin is on a distinguished road
Youngstown East vs. WGH

I can't believe there isn't a thread on this game yet. I haven't seen either team in person, but I have seen both on film. Both teams payed Fitch with WGH killing Fitch, and Fitch gutting out a tough win from East. But we all know you can't base much on that. Football is all about matchups and East matches up well with Harding. I can't believe some of the studs East has. The new coach has these guys playing well. Plus, East has a couple of Harding ex-players on its team. I'll go East in an upset 12-7. East will be too fast for Harding, and unlike Fitch, East has more size that can stand up to Harding's size. If Harding wins this game, look out DII including Massillon. Harding will show it is the real deal if it wins this game. The Massillon and Mck games were flukes, especially McK. Harding gave them that game. Both teams are playing very well now.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-18, 06:53 PM
All World

BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
I agree, you have to throw the ball on East to beat them. Boardman did not sustain much of a rushing attack on East, not sure what Fitch did. But O'Horo and our backup Martin threw TD passes. It will take a good passing attack to beat the Panthers as they are very physical and athletic in the trenches.

The other thing that impressed me when I watched them play Boardman (on the stream, not in person) was their discipline. Gone were most of the silly penalties that plagued them in years past. Credit to Marrow and his staff for instilling pride and discipline.
Old 10-15-18, 07:00 PM
All Ohio

nupanther is on a distinguished road
Fitch scored on two pass plays. One long and one short. .I think they rushed for around 140-150 or so. You're right about the penalties. Still have too many, and untimely ones that have wiped out scores (holding, block in the back).,
But (almost) gone are the pre snap penalties and late hit/ unsportsmanlike conduct ones. Had a key defensive player ejected for throwing the helmet last week. Should be a emotional one with the former Raider players now playing for the Bears
Old 10-15-18, 07:01 PM
All American

SOARING-EAGLE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHSspartans13 View Post
I agree, you have to throw the ball on East to beat them. Boardman did not sustain much of a rushing attack on East, not sure what Fitch did. But O'Horo and our backup Martin threw TD passes. It will take a good passing attack to beat the Panthers as they are very physical and athletic in the trenches.

The other thing that impressed me when I watched them play Boardman (on the stream, not in person) was their discipline. Gone were most of the silly penalties that plagued them in years past. Credit to Marrow and his staff for instilling pride and discipline.
Besides penalties in the past, it was kids playing that were undisciplined also...A lot of the East teams in the past had some athletes but they were very raw and needed a good coaching staff to show the boys how to play the game properly.....They are a hundred percent better with this Staff. Hats off!!!
Old 10-15-18, 08:57 PM
All Yappi

Worm02 is on a distinguished road
Coach Marrow and his staff have done a great job at East and quiet as kept, I think that bringing the Golden Bears back has helped instill pride back into their program. Nice to see that they have turned things around. Should be a fun night in Warren on Friday!
Old 10-15-18, 09:10 PM
All Ohio

jeroe
Quote:
Originally Posted by falguin View Post
I can't believe there isn't a thread on this game yet. I haven't seen either team in person, but I have seen both on film. Both teams payed Fitch with WGH killing Fitch, and Fitch gutting out a tough win from East. But we all know you can't base much on that. Football is all about matchups and East matches up well with Harding. I can't believe some of the studs East has. The new coach has these guys playing well. Plus, East has a couple of Harding ex-players on its team. I'll go East in an upset 12-7. East will be too fast for Harding, and unlike Fitch, East has more size that can stand up to Harding's size. If Harding wins this game, look out DII including Massillon. Harding will show it is the real deal if it wins this game. The Massillon and Mck games were flukes, especially McK. Harding gave them that game. Both teams are playing very well now.
Boy this is getting way ahead. If Massillon and Warren play again then someone took out Hoban. After watching them last week as a Massillon fan I would welcome a rematch. I think Warren is tough but Hoban is something different.
Old 10-15-18, 09:33 PM
All Yappi

Steel Valley FB is on a distinguished road
I’m assuming that even if the Raiders win out, they’ll still be in the bottom four and playing on the road in week 11. Is that correct?
Old 10-15-18, 09:42 PM
All Ohio

jeroe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Valley FB View Post
Iím assuming that even if the Raiders win out, theyíll still be in the bottom four and playing on the road in week 11. Is that correct?
If Nordonia wins out, Warren most likely on the road in week 11. But Warren is ready! Just don't finish 8!
Old 10-15-18, 09:43 PM
All Yappi

Maxie can only hope to improve
Quote:

In regards to the Massillon-Warren game (51-21), the score wasnít a fluke. In fact, the score could have been worse. I donít understand your rationale.
Old 10-15-18, 09:43 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Valley FB View Post
I’m assuming that even if the Raiders win out, they’ll still be in the bottom four and playing on the road in week 11. Is that correct?

It'll be close between them and Nordonia. In fact it's pretty much already baked in that this will be the matchup.

Boardman is pretty much playing for the 6 seed against Fitch, lose and they will almost assuredly be the 7. Their likely opponent will be either Maple or Garfield Heights as the 2/3 lineup is uncertain as well.

The 8 seed is a toss-up between Benedictine, Brush, and Mayfield. Twinsburg is unlikely to beat Nordonia though if they pull the upset that could elevate Harding into the 4 slot.

Outside of Hoban, this region has lots of parity IMO.
Old 10-15-18, 09:56 PM
All World

wghfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It'll be close between them and Nordonia. In fact it's pretty much already baked in that this will be the matchup.

Boardman is pretty much playing for the 6 seed against Fitch, lose and they will almost assuredly be the 7. Their likely opponent will be either Maple or Garfield Heights as the 2/3 lineup is uncertain as well.

The 8 seed is a toss-up between Benedictine, Brush, and Mayfield. Twinsburg is unlikely to beat Nordonia though if they pull the upset that could elevate Harding into the 4 slot.

Outside of Hoban, this region has lots of parity IMO.
Keep in mind that if Cleveland Hts. Who is 6-2 now beats Maple Hts in week 10, Maple could slip to the 4 or 5 seed
Old 10-15-18, 10:01 PM
All World

Yeah almost forgot about that, Pasteur would have them as the 4. Honestly Maple hasn't played anyone of note and neither has Garfield Heights. I'm picking Harding to advance to Round 2 as long as they aren't playing Hoban to be honest. They have played the toughest schedule out of anyone besides Hoban in the field.
Old 10-15-18, 10:12 PM
All World

Quote:
Yeah almost forgot about that, Pasteur would have them as the 4. Honestly Maple hasn't played anyone of note and neither has Garfield Heights. I'm picking Harding to advance to Round 2 as long as they aren't playing Hoban to be honest. They have played the toughest schedule out of anyone besides Hoban in the field.
That is the problem being that 4 or 5 seed. Hate to say this, but in this case I think I would rather be in the 6 or 7 spot. Especially with this field. Would rather avoid Hoban for as long as possible
Old 10-15-18, 10:45 PM
All World

Heck, 7 might be the place to be if Maple Heights loses to Cleveland Heights. It's why I'm pretty optimistic as a Boardman fan that we're essentially locked into the 6 or 7 slot. And our defense will give us a shot against probably anyone that isn't Hoban. The first team D hasn't given up more than 17 all year.

But you guys are no slouch, played McKinley even for more than a half, and Massillon is always tough on the road. Maybe rest guys and lose the next two and see if it knocks you to 6? Though to be honest the WGH Frosh team could probably beat Howland.
Old 10-15-18, 11:17 PM
All World

Quote:
Heck, 7 might be the place to be if Maple Heights loses to Cleveland Heights. It's why I'm pretty optimistic as a Boardman fan that we're essentially locked into the 6 or 7 slot. And our defense will give us a shot against probably anyone that isn't Hoban. The first team D hasn't given up more than 17 all year.

But you guys are no slouch, played McKinley even for more than a half, and Massillon is always tough on the road. Maybe rest guys and lose the next two and see if it knocks you to 6? Though to be honest the WGH Frosh team could probably beat Howland.
Boardman defense is tough! It has been consistent all year too. Still trying to figure, how in the heck Howland scored 17 points on you guys.

No way WGH would rest anyone against East. Besides them being a formidable foe this year, there are a lot of in house intangibles within this game. The East starting QB, and RB, were at WGH, the last couple years, and Coach Cylar took a few of the players over to East, after he left the WGH staff
Old 10-15-18, 11:27 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by wghfan View Post
Boardman defense is tough! It has been consistent all year too. Still trying to figure, how in the heck Howland scored 17 points on you guys.

No way WGH would rest anyone against East. Besides them being a formidable foe this year, there are a lot of in house intangibles within this game. The East starting QB, and RB, were at WGH, the last couple years, and Coach Cylar took a few of the players over to East, after he left the WGH staff
The first team gave up a FG. Howland scored 2 TDs against the JVs in the last 2 minutes. I think we had like 3 or 4 INTs in the first half alone. O'Horo and I'm pretty sure Huzicka did not even play. Really sad what's happened to Howland, even last year and two years ago they were a solid club.

I expect Harding to win but it should be a good game for sure.
Old 10-15-18, 11:36 PM
All World

Quote:
The first team gave up a FG. Howland scored 2 TDs against the JVs in the last 2 minutes. I think we had like 3 or 4 INTs in the first half alone. O'Horo and I'm pretty sure Huzicka did not even play. Really sad what's happened to Howland, even last year and two years ago they were a solid club.

I expect Harding to win but it should be a good game for sure.
That explains it better. Being that game was way back in week 1, I did not remember how it went down.
Harding needs to get their passing offense back on track. It has really been off bad the last few games
Old 10-15-18, 11:54 PM
All Yappi

Steel Valley FB is on a distinguished road
Thanks, guys. If we somehow slip into the 4 spot, I’d likely make the trek back home.

I’ve been meaning to get up to a pre-game at OLDGOLD’s place for some bocce and a taste of his family’s homemade red wine. Hard to believe it’s been almost 35 years since Conneaut when I last had some, OG.
Old 10-16-18, 01:15 AM
All Ohio

Reddengineer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I would caution anyone not to take Maple Heights lightly. Coach Shaq Washington has them playing very well as a unit.
Old 10-16-18, 02:47 AM
All World

warren west
Sure sounds like he is doing a tremendous job!
Old 10-16-18, 05:15 AM
All Yappi

Worm02 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wghfan View Post
That is the problem being that 4 or 5 seed. Hate to say this, but in this case I think I would rather be in the 6 or 7 spot. Especially with this field. Would rather avoid Hoban for as long as possible
Ain't nobody trying to lose for the sake of running from Hoban. Harding has to get better every week, pick up wins, and let the chips fall where they may.
Football is a competitive game so at the end of the day, the cream will always rise to the top.
Old 10-16-18, 06:09 AM
All American

FootballQueen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
In regards to the Massillon-Warren game (51-21), the score wasnít a fluke. In fact, the score could have been worse. I donít understand your rationale.
I have to agree.
Old 10-16-18, 06:10 AM
All American

FootballQueen
Good luck to both. Hopefully a great game.
Old 10-16-18, 08:32 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm02 View Post
Ain't nobody trying to lose for the sake of running from Hoban. Harding has to get better every week, pick up wins, and let the chips fall where they may.
Football is a competitive game so at the end of the day, the cream will always rise to the top.
We realize that. It is all just fun fan talk
Old 10-16-18, 05:10 PM
All American

falguin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
I know that Massillon stomped them. I just don't understand how Harding didn't put up a fight. Having watched them against Fitch and some other teams, they look like a good team. It makes no sense to me how a team with the talent Harding has could get killed like that. I imagine if they would meet again, Harding will play better. But I didn't realize that Hoban is in Harding's region, which gives Harding little chance to win, but there's a reason why they play the game.
Old 10-16-18, 06:00 PM
All Ohio

jeroe
Quote:
I know that Massillon stomped them. I just don't understand how Harding didn't put up a fight. Having watched them against Fitch and some other teams, they look like a good team. It makes no sense to me how a team with the talent Harding has could get killed like that. I imagine if they would meet again, Harding will play better. But I didn't realize that Hoban is in Harding's region, which gives Harding little chance to win, but there's a reason why they play the game.
First of all you are assuming they played bad. They did not. They ran into a buzz saw! In fact they played Massillon as tough as anyone except the St Louis Team. I believe Warren is under rated, but Massillon is very balanced on offense and scores in bunches! Every thing can be going well and the next thing you know they just put up 21 points. I do not ever want to play someone twice, and definitely not Warren but that score was not because they played poorly or put up a fight as you say! They need to shore up the pass D, and when the time comes do not let Hoban run left!
Old 10-18-18, 11:33 AM
All District

OLDGOLD is on a distinguished road
For me this has become the most interesting game of the season for WGH. Both teams are doing better than expected and the added emotion from 3 players and one coach at East who were at Harding last year raises the stakes even though both teams may be playoff bound.
I think The Raiders have played better competition so I can pick them, although I would probably pick them anyway.

SVFB--alas, after 20+ years we have ended the pregame parties [although we did do one for the Moony game]. If you make the trip I will buy you a beer and some chicken
Old 10-18-18, 11:41 AM
All Ohio

Scipio is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDGOLD View Post

SVFB--alas, after 20+ years we have ended the pregame parties [although we did do one for the Moony game]. If you make the trip I will buy you a beer and some chicken
Hmmm, I may crash that one...
Old 10-18-18, 02:03 PM
All World

Struthersfan is on a distinguished road
How's the concession stand at Mollenkopf?
Haven't been there except a couple times since the WWR days.
(One Harding-Massillon game and one Kennedy game)

Bo Rein is excellent in that respect.

They've done some considerable renovations at Mollenkopf, correct?

Anyway..... go Raiders!
Old 10-19-18, 10:57 AM
All Ohio

YTOWN is on a distinguished road
Good luck to both teams but I would really like to see East make the playoffs for the first time since the school reopened. Hope it's a great game with no injuries.

GO Golden Bears!