Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-16-18, 12:53 PM
All Region

boater is on a distinguished road
50 greatest High School football teams ALL time - as per Max Preps

Nice list - the obvious omission I would add is that 2004 Cincinnati Colerain team that obliterated everyone on their schedule :

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/Azw2wLq...f-all-time.htm
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-18, 01:01 PM
Junior Varsity

letsgetitdone is on a distinguished road
How dare they put Massillon in the top 50 4 times. They should be ashamed of themselves. Those were mythical teams, they never existed. How dare they print fake stories about the existence of those Massillon teams. That is all fake news.
Mack, 2Sense and all the other trolls please help me out on this one....
Old 11-16-18, 01:14 PM
All World

sportster4321 is on a distinguished road
1940 massillon scrimmaged Kent State and won 47-0? I know it was 1940 but geesh lol.
Old 11-16-18, 01:16 PM
All Region

Kind of surprised no Mckinley teams either - '97/98 were pretty darned good- even if they did get beat by the Tigers -pretty sure it was'97 with Josh McDaniels QB and his dad coaching them- they did turn around and beat them in the playoffs.
That '76 Moeller is very deserving - gotta say - really dominant!
Old 11-16-18, 01:20 PM
All District

Warriorviking is on a distinguished road
That 97 McKinley team was voted no 1 for the year by usa today
Old 11-16-18, 01:21 PM
All Region

CoachHoversten is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by boater View Post
Nice list - the obvious omission I would add is that 2004 Cincinnati Colerain team that obliterated everyone on their schedule :

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/Azw2wLq...f-all-time.htm
This list doesn't include the "Remember The Titans" TC Williams team....I am out, list is crap
Old 11-16-18, 01:28 PM
2018 GMC & GCL Champs!

tofer23 is on a distinguished road
2004 Colerain would have beaten half the teams on that list.
Old 11-16-18, 01:29 PM
All District

ImpracticalJoker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Kind of surprised no Mckinley teams either - '97/98 were pretty darned good- even if they did get beat by the Tigers -pretty sure it was'97 with Josh McDaniels QB and his dad coaching them- they did turn around and beat them in the playoffs.
Off by a few years. The 97 and 98 McKinley teams both beat Massillon on their way to state titles. Think you are thinking of the 94 season in which Massillon beat McKinley in the 100th meeting and McKinley won the rematch in the playoffs. Figured I'd jump in before someone else did.

I know it's neat to see these kind of lists and they fuel plenty of debate/disagreement but it is basically impossible to put a list like this together. Too many variables.
Old 11-16-18, 01:37 PM
Varsity

Foster is on a distinguished road
Since they went as far back as 1912, I think they should have mentioned the 1930 Steubenville team. They went 9-0, scored 277 pts, and were not scored on. They were led by Puck Burgwin who ran for 5614 yds in his 28 game career.
Old 11-16-18, 01:37 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpracticalJoker View Post
Off by a few years. The 97 and 98 McKinley teams both beat Massillon on their way to state titles. Think you are thinking of the 94 season in which Massillon beat McKinley in the 100th meeting and McKinley won the rematch in the playoffs. Figured I'd jump in before someone else did.

I know it's neat to see these kind of lists and they fuel plenty of debate/disagreement but it is basically impossible to put a list like this together. Too many variables.
Thanks for the correction - I do remember the final in which Mckinley played Moeller for the Championship - just to watch the match up of Kenny Peterson ( was Defensive player of the year & OSU commit) against Anthony Munoz's son who committed to Tennessee before having injury problems. Rare you watch the line of scrimmage - but that was a war all night long! Plus even though the Bulldogs won the game I graded Munoz winning that war in the trenches !! Mckinley also had Mike Doss on that team - great memories !!
Old 11-16-18, 01:42 PM
All District

THE FLOCK is an unknown quantity at this point
Where's the 2015 Fenwick team?
Old 11-16-18, 01:58 PM
Grand Inquisitor

Baron Von Steuben is on a distinguished road
Surprised those late 90's McK teams were left off the list.
Old 11-16-18, 02:32 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Essentially this was clickbait to get fans arguing on who should've been in and to pass the link around.

It worked.

Also: "De La Salle teams top Washington Massillon, Archbishop Moeller, Bishop Gorman for top spot."
Old 11-16-18, 03:04 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
Essentially this was clickbait to get fans arguing on who should've been in and to pass the link around.

It worked.

Also: "De La Salle teams top Washington Massillon, Archbishop Moeller, Bishop Gorman for top spot."
Absolutely to discuss it - isn't that what this site is about? Otherwise, I certainly don't have an interest in Maxpreps - just found this worthwhile of discussion.

One final thought - it doesn't take much on this site to start a disagreement or argument -seems to be the attraction..

On your last point no NE Ohio ( outside of IGGY) nor western PA teams - so do you have anything to add?
Old 11-16-18, 03:08 PM
All World

eaglepride is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofer23 View Post
2004 Colerain would have beaten half the teams on that list.

They had them in at #51
Old 11-16-18, 03:36 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Absolutely to discuss it - isn't that what this site is about? Otherwise, I certainly don't have an interest in Maxpreps - just found this worthwhile of discussion.

One final thought - it doesn't take much on this site to start a disagreement or argument -seems to be the attraction..

On your last point no NE Ohio ( outside of IGGY) nor western PA teams - so do you have anything to add?
I think the 1930 Steubenville team that went unscored-upon deserves a nod.

I read their criteria. Not a fan of the setup. If a team has a run, they only pick one of the years. But if they have two runs very close together, then can pick multiple times from the same team.

Sounds like they're rewarding inconsistency instead of domination. They praise DLS, but don't consider IMG? During that 150+ run, DLS was basically the de facto football factory of the bay area.

As for Western PA, there isn't much recent history that could crack the top 50. Older days? There were same great teams, but western PA had a tendency to beat up on themselves so nobody really stands out as 'one of the greatest teams ever'.

On the list, I've seen 2 of the teams. Katy and Allen. No way Katy is ranked higher. They argue the victory over Lake Travis was a great win but despite their long run, Lake Travis wasn't a good team that year despite making it to the final. Like when The Woodlands made it. Or Cy Ranch, even. A team made a surprise run, got some upsets, and then get steamrolled by the team that was figured to win it all along. Allen's run was epic just because by sheer numbers they're the largest school in the state, so they're expected to win it. I'd put Allen above Katy and drop Katy out of the top 50. No way did I witness one of the 50 greatest teams ever that day. The three-year-run by Allen was probably the best team I've ever seen in person.

Didn't get to see any of the Southlake Carroll teams in their dominance run, so can't judge there. Or the Permian teams that dominated west Texas like no others, even Abilene. They've fallen off a cliff in the past two decades. Living off their history and FNL.

Colerain's sheer domination should've made it. But they weren't.

As for your second point? Yeah.

As for Maxpreps, I've been to several of their 'must see' stadiums, and still don't feel the Wolvarena should be top 10 or 20. It has a huge antiquated concrete homestand with no parking. Woodland Hills has done some work to it, but so many people think so highly of it NOW that it's been listed as such but before then it wouldn't have elicited rave reviews before then.
Old 11-16-18, 11:22 PM
All Region

FossyWriter8 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foster View Post
Since they went as far back as 1912, I think they should have mentioned the 1930 Steubenville team. They went 9-0, scored 277 pts, and were not scored on. They were led by Puck Burgwin who ran for 5614 yds in his 28 game career.
If they went back to 1912, they should include the 1912 Fostoria team.
Named the national champion by the Boston (Mass.) Evening Transcript.
Unbeaten, untied, unscored upon.
The Red and Black, as they were called then, outscored their opponents 596-0 in eight games. The 74.5 points per game average is the highest in state history, according to the OHSAA.
Several Ohio teams have scored more total points in a season since, but none in fewer than 10 games, with the vast majority needing 13 or more. The current record for total points is 861 by The Plains Athens in 15 games in 2014 — an average of 57.4 points per game.
The 74.5 points per game is second all-time in the nation to the 1922 Jersey Shore (Pa.) team, which had 676 points in a nine-game season for an average of 75.1 points per game. (Source: National Federation of State High School Associations)
Fostoria might have scored more points in 1912, but a 131-0 win against Crestline had just a five-minute fourth quarter so Crestline's team wouldn't miss its train home.
And the team ran and passed the ball. In fact, then-University of Cincinnati coach George Little, who also officiated several of Fostoria's games that year, said "Fostoria had the forward pass nearer perfection than any team he had seen and that they could defeat the majority of colleges in the state."
The 1912 season was also no fluke.
It was the sixth and final season for coach Lawrence C. Boles, who went 48-4-2 in his tenure. His season records (and points scored and allowed by his teams) were 8-0-1 (368-11) in 1907; 8-1-0 (328-21) in 1908; 6-2-1 (187-44) in 1909; 8-1-0 (162-7) in 1910; 10-0-0 (312-14) in 1911; and 8-0-0 (596-0) in 1912.
Fostoria teams outscored their foes 1,953-97 during his Boles' tenure, with just three opponents scoring in double digits in a game against FHS during that run.
His teams were named state champs in 1907, 1910, 1911 and 1912; Northwestern Ohio champ in 1908; and national champ in 1912.

Fostoria 1912 results
Fostoria 87, Tiffin 0
Fostoria 28, Bowling Green 0
Fostoria 131, Crestline 0
Fostoria 58, Ada 0
Fostoria 74, Mansfield 0
Fostoria 103, Prairie Depot (now Wayne) 0
Fostoria 41, Springfield 0
Fostoria 74, Buffalo (N.Y.) Central 0
Old 11-16-18, 11:30 PM
All Ohio

JJBulldog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
McKinley beat Massillon both years, were chosen National Champions in '97 (Ohio's last) with 3 NFL players and a lot of D1 players. Only team to defeat #4 Nationally ranked St. Ignatius with its two NFL players that year (twice). won both playoff State Championships those years, something Massillon has never done.

This Max Preps poll is nonsense.

Last edited by JJBulldog; 11-16-18 at 11:42 PM.