Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-16-18, 11:49 AM
All Ohio

Jaws31 is on a distinguished road
New Youngstown League

It was just announced by Dana Balash of WFMJ that Yo. East, Chaney, Mooney and Ursuline are forming a league for all sports that will start in the fall of 2019. The name hasn't been released yet(I'm betting on some version of Steel Valley). He also added that they will look to expand soon. I can see Howland joining immediately. It would be interesting to see who us jumps in. Balash has been hinting at this for theclast couple of months.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-18, 11:56 AM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
I think this would be a great conference and great for the area; especially if it expanded. There are so many natural, heated rivalries there already that putting them all in a league would make for exciting match ups and exciting seasons. Of course, a lot of schools would have to get over themselves and agree to play each other.
Old 11-16-18, 12:02 PM
Varsity

NEohioFB is on a distinguished road
This is great. Wonder how much back and forth went on or how hard it was to get everyone to agree to do this. I wouldn't look for any schools like Poland, Canfield, Hubbard, Struthers, South Range to be intrigued mostly because I don't think stakeholders like that some of their kids have gone/can go/will go to Mooney/Ursuline. Who knows though.
Old 11-16-18, 12:04 PM
All American

roberto21 is on a distinguished road
Yo. East and Chaney will trade wins yearly finishing at 1-2 every year until a better opportunity comes along.
Old 11-16-18, 12:07 PM
All Ohio

Fitch is one school that comes to mind that would do well to join. I'm just not so sure that they would though. Boardman too. I think the schools that just joined the NE8 are going to be out. That is a good home for most of them. The Polands and Canfields of the world will have nothing to do with the city schools or the parochials for that matter. Struthers....msybe???
Old 11-16-18, 12:07 PM
All Region

Devilone is on a distinguished road
This would be a great league especially if Howland jumped in as well.
Old 11-16-18, 12:14 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberto21 View Post
Yo. East and Chaney will trade wins yearly finishing at 1-2 every year until a better opportunity comes along.
If I am some of the schools with open enrollment I would be a little nervous about both Chaney and East. Kids that used to head to Liberty, Hubbard, Fitch, Struthers snd the like might start to think it would be best staying home. East becsme much more attractive with their run this year and Amil is really putting in forward a big push with Chaney. Their weightroom is outstanding. Kids like that stuff.
Old 11-16-18, 01:37 PM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws31 View Post
Fitch is one school that comes to mind that would do well to join. I'm just not so sure that they would though. Boardman too. I think the schools that just joined the NE8 are going to be out. That is a good home for most of them. The Polands and Canfields of the world will have nothing to do with the city schools or the parochials for that matter. Struthers....msybe???

There is a 0% chance of Struthers joining this league. The NE8 is a nice setup for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-18, 02:15 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
The NE8 teams aren't jumping ship already. They don't want anything to do with Mooney or Ursuline when they're good.

East and Chaney needed a league, because in the AAC, they're basically at the bottom of the barrel in terms of enrollment size. And with the top getting reorganized at some point, needed a home.

Want to know a big reason why these four are together? Opportunity. East and Chaney are going to have one game every year with a huge gate (plus, of course their own rivalry game). GOTW type stuff. Secondly? Mooney and Ursuline get a local game that's an instant rivalry on the road. And probably enough local interest for the other game they host each year. Gives East/Chaney a yearly trip to YSU. And if you don't think that matters to kids, think of the arguments for the titles in Ohio Stadium.

Back before Rayen was rehabbed, the city schools did play at YSU.

Plus, with this arrangement, do you think Rayen might because a 'fall back' option for Mooney or Ursuline if they need a host venue when both are at home and YSU can't let one play on Saturday? Just in recent years, Ursuline had home games at Mollenkopf and Girard, so maybe a bit of friendly competition opens Rayen up for a game or so when there's a Stambaugh Stadium conflict.

If they're happy enough to be conference foes, the camaraderie might help all sides.
Old 11-16-18, 02:18 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
There is a 0% chance of Struthers joining this league. The NE8 is a nice setup for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. That is why I really don't think wny of the NE8 schools would go to this conference. Struthers is just one I mentioned based off of sheer logistics. Campbell would fit geographically but they have zero chance competitively. Liberty possibly. Remember this is all sports so travel in the winter month on a Tuesday may factor in. Plus it is going to depend on whether they want to sray with schools in the III-V range or go after some of the bigger ones.
Old 11-16-18, 02:25 PM
All World

sportster4321 is on a distinguished road
With falling numbers Liberty is on the fast track to D7. No way they'd get involved in this league either.
Old 11-16-18, 02:34 PM
All Ohio

YTOWN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It was just announced by Dana Balash of WFMJ that Yo. East, Chaney, Mooney and Ursuline are forming a league for all sports that will start in the fall of 2019. The name hasn't been released yet(I'm betting on some version of Steel Valley). He also added that they will look to expand soon. I can see Howland joining immediately. It would be interesting to see who us jumps in. Balash has been hinting at this for theclast couple of months.
Well at one time all 4 of them were in the City Series together so they may just call it that.
Old 11-16-18, 02:38 PM
All World

Struthersfan is on a distinguished road
As mentioned, Howland might go for it.

I was thinking more of Warren Harding.
Really think the Raiders would be a great fit.
Old 11-16-18, 02:47 PM
All World

Quote:
I agree. That is why I really don't think wny of the NE8 schools would go to this conference. Struthers is just one I mentioned based off of sheer logistics. Campbell would fit geographically but they have zero chance competitively. Liberty possibly. Remember this is all sports so travel in the winter month on a Tuesday may factor in. Plus it is going to depend on whether they want to sray with schools in the III-V range or go after some of the bigger ones.
No way in Hades that Campbell would join this. They were looking to get out of the AAC to join the ITCL before it imploded. Too small a school without open-enrollment to be part of anything like this. Really should've gotten into MVAC, but instead Waterloo was included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struthersfan View Post
As mentioned, Howland might go for it.

I was thinking more of Warren Harding.
Really think the Raiders would be a great fit.
Harding would be a good fit. But that's a lot of D3/D4 type schools to play each year. Might hurt them for playoffs. But certainly a lot of teams they'd be playing anyways and great rivalries and a lot of local competition to draw the fans.
Old 11-16-18, 02:49 PM
All Ohio

Scipio is on a distinguished road
I would be stunned if Howland were to join.
Old 11-16-18, 02:58 PM
Junior Varsity

Bigdean1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Liberty and Campbell would be a good fit only if the conference were to go to two tiers..........big schools and small schools, with a few smaller schools joining Campbell and Liberty. Neither Campbell or Liberty would be able to compete with those larger schools. They enrollments are too small.
Old 11-16-18, 03:41 PM
All World

But there wouldn't really be any crossover games. You'd have the AAC all over again. I think this works best IF it stays small. Maybe in the 6 team neighborhood. Gives you 5 non-league games to schedule. But, only take teams if they're willing to play all four current teams every year. If not. No.
Old 11-16-18, 04:46 PM
All District

West Branch is on a distinguished road
I wouldnít think it to be out of the question if West Branch and /or Salem were to be interested in leaving the Eastern Buckeye Conference (EBC) somewhere in the future. This may be just what they are looking for.
Old 11-16-18, 05:00 PM
All District

gyea36 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio View Post
I would be stunned if Howland were to join.
I had heard from some teachers in the school that their numbers and talent are down for the next few years, and that they are looking to downgrade their schedule significantly in the coming years--although I hear it's pretty tough again next year still
Old 11-16-18, 05:02 PM
All American

Gardens35 is on a distinguished road
City Series.
Old 11-16-18, 05:06 PM
All Ohio

Scipio is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyea36 View Post
I had heard from some teachers in the school that their numbers and talent are down for the next few years, and that they are looking to downgrade their schedule significantly in the coming years--although I hear it's pretty tough again next year still
Thanks. Weakening their schedule is something I can definitely see Howland doing.
However, I don't think downgrade means what they think it means.

Last edited by Scipio; 11-16-18 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-16-18, 05:36 PM
All Yappi

Worm02 is on a distinguished road
Howland joining a conference with Mooney & Ursuline? Not a chance.

It'd be nice to see Harding, Fitch, and Boardman all join. Starting conference play in week 4 would prevent many (if not all) of the schools to maintain the bulk of their noncenference games as normally scheduled.
Old 11-16-18, 06:40 PM
All Ohio

gotti544 is on a distinguished road
I know as long as Anarella has a voice at Fitch they will not join. They’ve refused to play Ursuline the last few years, don’t know the reasoning because they are playing WGH, Mooney and Boardman. Be great to put the old SVC back together, and Howland and Canfield both be independent next year would be a fit. But I doubt they will jump in
Old 11-16-18, 06:47 PM
All Region

ideliver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyea36 View Post

Their talent is...their numbers arenít.

Solid 100+ boys per grade level
Old 11-16-18, 06:48 PM
All Region

ideliver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm02 View Post
Howland joining a conference with Mooney & Ursuline? Not a chance.

It'd be nice to see Harding, Fitch, and Boardman all join. Starting conference play in week 4 would prevent many (if not all) of the schools to maintain the bulk of their noncenference games as normally scheduled.

The 80ís SVC...
Old 11-16-18, 08:02 PM
All World

Spartan0505 is on a distinguished road
Fitch won't join. They refuse to play Ursuline due to certain player poaching when Reardon was still here. Not sure if Boardman would join either.
Old 11-16-18, 08:22 PM
All World

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
Canfield and Howland would fit perfectly in this league, problem is politics would never let this happen which kinda sucks.

Also jaws some schools can get negative draw with open enrollment because of east and Chaney, but Hubbard should be the school that doesn’t drop at all, they have top 3 facilities In the area, along with great community support. Struthers doesn’t normally get any good players through open enrollment, just some bad apple and other students who aren’t involved with the football and basketball teams, also with their stadium upgrades should help them.

Is east the only team with a home field? I know YSU is an obvious choice for schools, I even remember a time Ursuline played a home game or 2 at mineral ridge which was odd. Chaney could use Struthers on a Saturday or when Struthers is away, doubt they would let the other 2 use it tho.
Old 11-16-18, 08:28 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
I thought Mooney and Ursuline just joined the North Coast League with other NEO parochials?
Old 11-16-18, 08:33 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYaSometime View Post
I thought Mooney and Ursuline just joined the North Coast League with other NEO parochials?
The only news articles I could find on that subject came from Jan. and Apr. of 2016. They were invited by the NCL and accepted the invitations, but it doesn't appear that the member schools ever voted them in as members.

http://www.wfmj.com/story/31023954/u...ast-conference
Old 11-16-18, 08:34 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYaSometime View Post
No, I know Mooney and Ursuline tried or had a deal (depends on who you talk to) to join the NCL a couple years back to be football only members but some of the others schools balked at the idea.