Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Old 11-15-18, 06:26 AM
All American

Lynus24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoban2020 View Post
Hoban is nationally ranked for a good reason. They’ve won 3 straight championships on their way to a 4th.

All these 10-0 or 9-1 public schools who think they’re so great haven’t stood a chance these last 3 years ... Avon, Barberton, Louisville, Trotwood-Madison, Winton Woods and more have all lost by 20+ to Hoban. The same story will play out on Friday.

Maple Hts may be good, but before the playoffs the highest ranked real they played according to Drew Pasteur’s site was 127th ranked Lorain (won by 6) and 130th ranked Cleveland Hts (won by 7). Nobody else in the regular season even close to a top 150 ranking. Hoban played 8 teams ranked 141st or higher and won by an average of 31 points - often playing with 2nd teamers for a couple of quarters.

Expect close to a replay of the Garfield score last Friday. Weather appears seasonably cool, but dry. Hoban 42, Maple 14.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoban beat Louisville by 7 (not 20+) and were trailing in the 2nd half in 2015.
Louisville stood more than a chance that night. With that being said Hoban wins this week and more than likely rolls into another championship.
Old 11-15-18, 07:57 AM
All Ohio

hoban2020 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynus24 View Post
Hoban beat Louisville by 7 (not 20+) and were trailing in the 2nd half in 2015.

Louisville stood more than a chance that night. With that being said Hoban wins this week and more than likely rolls into another championship.

I stand corrected ... the 2015 team won by 14 (New Philly), 7 (Louisville), 3 (SVSM) 12 (Zanesville), 13 (Toledo CC) on their path to the state title. Average victory margin 9.8 points. Realistically close games.

2016 average victory was 24.2 (smallest 9)
2017 average victory was 31.8 (smallest 24)
2018 average victory so far is 42.5

Great for the kids involved and all the work they put in. For the non-football dad like me, I’ll attend if the weather is reasonably nice or if there’s a compelling matchup - like SVSM or a Massillon. This year, I’ve been to only 3.5 games (Ignatius, SVSM, Benedictine from the tailgate lot, Garfield). The rest of the time, it’s like “Why am I going to Walsh to watch them win by 50?”

Old 11-15-18, 08:07 AM
All Ohio

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoban2020 View Post
I stand corrected ... the 2015 team won by 14 (New Philly), 7 (Louisville), 3 (SVSM) 12 (Zanesville), 13 (Toledo CC) on their path to the state title. Average victory margin 9.8 points. Realistically close games.

2016 average victory was 24.2 (smallest 9)
2017 average victory was 31.8 (smallest 24)
2018 average victory so far is 42.5

Great for the kids involved and all the work they put in. For the non-football dad like me, I’ll attend if the weather is reasonably nice or if there’s a compelling matchup - like SVSM or a Massillon. This year, I’ve been to only 3.5 games (Ignatius, SVSM, Benedictine from the tailgate lot, Garfield). The rest of the time, it’s like “Why am I going to Walsh to watch them win by 50?”

If anything, this data shows just how dominant they've become over the last 4 seasons. Remember, in 2014 they were 6-4 playing (arguably) an easier schedule in D3 and 5-5 in 2013. Your stats just show how strong of a powerhouse they've become over the last 4 years. I wonder how long they will keep this up. People act like Hoban has been dominating for the last decade, when in reality it's been more recent than people think.
Old 11-15-18, 08:23 AM
All Ohio

Redwing is on a distinguished road
That 2015 team that got it started wasn't as talented as these last 3 teams, but they were a close knit group of grinders that had been through a lot of frustrations up to that point. They didn't overwhelm anybody during that playoff run, all those games were tense, 4 qtr affairs.
Old 11-15-18, 08:38 AM
All World

1disciple is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
If anything, this data shows just how dominant they've become over the last 4 seasons. Remember, in 2014 they were 6-4 playing (arguably) an easier schedule in D3 and 5-5 in 2013. Your stats just show how strong of a powerhouse they've become over the last 4 years. I wonder how long they will keep this up. People act like Hoban has been dominating for the last decade, when in reality it's been more recent than people think.
Exactly
Old 11-15-18, 08:46 AM
All Yappi

longtime1sttime
"Unheralded players help Hoban pursue fourth state title in row"
https://www.ohio.com/sports/20181113...e-title-in-row
Old 11-15-18, 08:47 AM
All Ohio

For the Hoban folks, a nice article in the Beacon this week about some of the new faces and unsung kids that you don't hear much about. Really happy for the Robinson kid playing C, an Akron CYO kid who I never would've thought would be starting on varsity at some point. The article lists him at 230, but he looks 210-215 at best. By far their least imposing lineman, but he's done a great job at a position I thought could be a problem for them this year.

https://www.ohio.com/sports/20181113...e-title-in-row
Old 11-15-18, 08:48 AM
All Yappi

longtime1sttime
"How Shaq Washington’s first Maple Heights team as coach is like his last as a player"

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.co...layoff-points/
Old 11-15-18, 08:55 AM
All Ohio

hoban2020 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
That 2015 team that got it started wasn't as talented as these last 3 teams, but they were a close knit group of grinders that had been through a lot of frustrations up to that point. They didn't overwhelm anybody during that playoff run, all those games were tense, 4 qtr affairs.

That was the last largely CYO group of football players. They dominated freshman play as freshmen in 2012 under Orsini when varsity was pretty bad, Sibley showed up in 2013 (I believe still Orsini), then 2014 was the QB switch mid year which imploded that season, and the train started rolling in 2015 as Tyrrell got into full gear of finding players from the Akron Publics - formerly an SVSM stronghold. The rest is history.

Old 11-15-18, 09:54 AM
All World

Egret has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I can't wait to read this thread Friday night an hour into the game. Certain posters will be long gone buried in their proverbial holes eating crow. Hoban is absolutely going to destroy this team. Early and often.
Old 11-15-18, 11:31 AM
All District

MHMustangs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtime1sttime View Post
"How Shaq Washington’s first Maple Heights team as coach is like his last as a player"

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.co...layoff-points/
I love this read. This team has more explosive players and athletes than the State title team back in 2010! This game will be a lot closer than most think.
Old 11-15-18, 11:37 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
I can't wait to read this thread Friday night an hour into the game. Certain posters will be long gone buried in their proverbial holes eating crow. Hoban is absolutely going to destroy this team. Early and often.
Again, I won't run and hide. I'm going down with the ship! I'll be back on here Saturday morning at the latest.... But I honestly think Maple is the best team Hoban has faced since week 1. We will score and we will score a lot! this will be a game People!
Old 11-15-18, 11:45 AM
All District

ColinCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I agree. The Ignatius offense was sub par but the defense was championship quality, and the Cats still had a hard time with Hoban's offense and making critical stops.
Old 11-15-18, 01:42 PM
All American

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHMustangs View Post
Again, I won't run and hide. I'm going down with the ship! I'll be back on here Saturday morning at the latest.... But I honestly think Maple is the best team Hoban has faced since week 1. We will score and we will score a lot! this will be a game People!
3rd-4th best behind Wayne and St V. You will be fortunate to get 2 scores and nothing in the second half. Just going on history past 2 years.
Old 11-15-18, 02:10 PM
All Ohio

Scipio is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by falguin View Post
Take heart MHMUstangs. My Falcons faced a much more daunting scenario against Iggy in the 90. Iggy had won 39 games in a row, were the NC and SC the year before. They had a bunch of DI guys that were huger. Fitch didn't have a guy over 200 pounds on the team at that point. The QB was about the same size. We did have a nice running back with some speech. No one gave us a chance to win that game, and we beat them. Now we ran the wing-t and trapped that big guys all night long. If the right offense is put in place big, strong, fast guys can take themselves out of position. I don't know what you guys run, but a win is not out of the question. The difference between MH and say Barberton and Avon, is MH has won a SC or at least been in the championship game. That type of history and tradition brings a different kind of confidence and expectation. If your kids bring it, they can win.
Gotta love us old guys pulling out games from 28...or 40 years ago to make a point...

My wife just shakes her head at me.
Old 11-15-18, 03:20 PM
Junior Varsity

We Are Massillon is an unknown quantity at this point
Tigers on the prowl!!!

Quote:
Enjoy this week Hoban because The Tigers are coming! Gonna be a great game! Come back to this post when the Knights are sent home! Roar!!!!!!
Old 11-15-18, 03:25 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
3rd-4th best behind Wayne and St V. You will be fortunate to get 2 scores and nothing in the second half. Just going on history past 2 years.
No way. Definitely the 2nd best. And we definitely have the most explosive players out of the teams as well. I laugh at you saying we’ll only score 2 touchdowns. Hobans players are built to play in the Box. I can’t wait to see what happens when Maple players get into Space!
Old 11-15-18, 03:59 PM
All World

Quote:
No way. Definitely the 2nd best. And we definitely have the most explosive players out of the teams as well. I laugh at you saying we’ll only score 2 touchdowns. Hobans players are built to play in the Box. I can’t wait to see what happens when Maple players get into Space!
The only space they'll be "getting into" is outer space after they have their clocks cleaned.
Old 11-15-18, 04:14 PM
All American

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I appreciate your enthusiasm and confidence in your team. I feel likewise about Hoban. Since they are our opinions and very subjective we will have to wait for the outcome. Good luck tomorrow night.
Old 11-15-18, 04:45 PM
All District

Quote:
The only space they'll be "getting into" is outer space after they have their clocks cleaned.
Hahaha
Old 11-15-18, 04:54 PM
All Ohio

jeroe
Quote:
Almost up there with the famous Seven-County All-Stars of St. Ignatius. Almost. Or the Ten-State All-Star teams of St. Gerry Faust back in Moeller's hey dey. Of course, we saw what a STELLAR coach he was when he went to Notre Dame and everyone else had a platform to recruit. Probably the greatest testimonial in the history of coaching. Loved it.
What are you talking about? He is the greatest HS Coach of all time! Just ask Moeller fans. He innovated the game didn't he?
Old 11-15-18, 05:11 PM
All Ohio

jeroe
Quote:
MHMustangs good luck tomorrow. I think you will be surprised by the Hoban Defense. I have seen them and am far from a Hoban fan. Outside of having an advantage in both trenches you will see a loaded secondary and more running backs than they can use. I hope you are right and Maple Hts gives them all they can handle. I have seen many teams and this Hoban team is one of the best I have seen in over 40 years of watching. I just don't see it my brother, but I m rooting for you all none the less!
Old 11-15-18, 06:16 PM
All World

Quote:
Hahaha
Love your enthusiasm. And Dear Lord if they pull off this upset you can get back on here and absolutely torture EVERYONE, including me. LOL.
Old 11-15-18, 06:58 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
DeSales - 14
Trotwood - 0
Brush - 0
Barberton - 13
Avon - 6
Winton Woods - 14

These are all teams that Hoban has played in the playoffs from 2016-present that were offensive juggernauts all year, and through the playoffs, only to find the sledding a little rough vs Hoban. We were all warned about their speed and how dynamic they were, only to watch it flame out when the reality of what they were facing was up in their face. Not saying that will be Maple's fate, and this Hoban D is a bit different, but they would be bucking a serious trend if they can flip it.
Old 11-15-18, 07:03 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Good luck with Twinsburg. I am not a fan of that facility. Solon, Bedford or Hudson are better facilities with better parking and access.
Old 11-15-18, 07:21 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Good luck with Twinsburg. I am not a fan of that facility. Solon, Bedford or Hudson are better facilities with better parking and access.
Never been, but the parking doesn't look great from the info we've been sent. I'm guessing Solon and Bedford were deemed to be too far for Hoban, and they played at Hudson last week, which I believe disqualified it for this week. I would've preferred Nordonia.
Old 11-15-18, 07:27 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Never been, but the parking doesn't look great from the info we've been sent. I'm guessing Solon and Bedford were deemed to be too far for Hoban, and they played at Hudson last week, which I believe disqualified it for this week. I would've preferred Nordonia.
The police do their best to get people in and out, but the access is limited. I'm thinking there are fans from hundreds of high school teams in Ohio that wish they had that problem tomorrow night!
Old 11-15-18, 07:34 PM
All American

falguin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio View Post
Gotta love us old guys pulling out games from 28...or 40 years ago to make a point...

My wife just shakes her head at me.
Football was more exciting and tough back then. Players actually knew how to tackle. The games were much more physical.
Old 11-15-18, 09:58 PM
All District

Lysdexic04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
DeSales - 14
Trotwood - 0
Brush - 0
Barberton - 13
Avon - 6
Winton Woods - 14

These are all teams that Hoban has played in the playoffs from 2016-present that were offensive juggernauts all year, and through the playoffs, only to find the sledding a little rough vs Hoban. We were all warned about their speed and how dynamic they were, only to watch it flame out when the reality of what they were facing was up in their face. Not saying that will be Maple's fate, and this Hoban D is a bit different, but they would be bucking a serious trend if they can flip it.
I have to say, I am no fan of Hoban (or any overwhelmingly dominant team for that matter-I like seeing good, competitive football), but I have been impressed by Hoban's size in the trenches and speed elsewhere, when I have watched them. After watching Barberton last year, I was hoping they could give Hoban a challenge with their team speed (unfortunately OHSAA chose a venue far too small for me to get the opportunity to go to the game), and Hoban dismantled, who may have been the 2nd best team in D2 last year. A team's best hope in D2 is that Hoban plays lackadaisical ball early, can jump to a lead an hang on to it. I hope MH gives them everything they want, and if they don't pull the upset,provides a blueprint to finding the scarce weaknesses in Hoban for the final two games of the year. It's obviously proven to be a tall task.
Old 11-15-18, 10:15 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
An awful lot of this going on in this thread-

Great gif!! 👏👏👏