Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-14-18, 09:13 PM
All American

Lep2002 is on a distinguished road
Is Twinsburg still a mess to get out of? Does anyone have tips on where to park to avoid all the traffic after games?

I think Maple Heights is underrated here by many itt, but I would be stunned if they beat Hoban. I still think I will pick this game over a 3rd trip to Euclid and the Eds-Mentor game that will be played there. I just wish this one was at Solon or Hudson.
Old 11-14-18, 09:17 PM
All Ohio

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Cougarfan, just ignore him. The guy's sole purpose on Yappi has been to harass you. He's had 60 some posts, 99% directed at you. If the Kent boosters put the time into supporting their teams that he puts into trolling you, they'd have won more than a combined 6 games in the last 3 years. Good Lord, without Cuyahoga Falls, they'd be the Akron North of Portage County.
Yea I know. Just an unhappy soul with nothing to add to the conversation.
Old 11-14-18, 09:24 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by falguin View Post
I disagree. Mooney lost to Boardman. and MH rolled Boardman. MH is probably better than most are expecting. Will they be able to beat Hoban? I thing they have more than enough talent to beat Hoban. If the coaches for MH can devise a game plan that will keep Hoban off balance, they can win the game. Small, tough kids often give bigger kids fits. They don't allow them to just line up and pound them. They shoot gaps on the big kids; they trap them. It really is up to MH's staff to put in an offense that will get them to 30 because that is how much they need to score. MH will not allow Hoban to put more than 28 on them.
Small and tough doesn’t beat bigger, faster and stronger. Some of these players have already played in 10 plus post season games and multiple state finals. Coaching staff has as well. I really think you are going to see another game like last years regional final where a 12-0 Barberton was hammered into the turf.
Old 11-14-18, 09:59 PM
All District

MHMustangs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I disagree. Mooney lost to Boardman. and MH rolled Boardman. MH is probably better than most are expecting. Will they be able to beat Hoban? I thing they have more than enough talent to beat Hoban. If the coaches for MH can devise a game plan that will keep Hoban off balance, they can win the game. Small, tough kids often give bigger kids fits. They don't allow them to just line up and pound them. They shoot gaps on the big kids; they trap them. It really is up to MH's staff to put in an offense that will get them to 30 because that is how much they need to score. MH will not allow Hoban to put more than 28 on them.
I completely agree! Maple needs to and I think they can score 30 plus points. I don’t however think they can hold Hoban to 28. Our best Bet is like you said. Relies on Shaq Washington’s youthful coaching staff. If they can dial up a good game plan it can get interesting. Maple has better skill players IMO
Old 11-14-18, 10:02 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
Small and tough doesn’t beat bigger, faster and stronger. Some of these players have already played in 10 plus post season games and multiple state finals. Coaching staff has as well. I really think you are going to see another game like last years regional final where a 12-0 Barberton was hammered into the turf.
Like Falguin said. Moony lost to Boardman and Maple has a running clock & called the dogs off in the 3rd Qtr vs. Boardman. Not saying Hoban is slow. They’re definitely Bigger and stronger without a doubt. But in today’s game. Speed is the most dangerous. We’ll see what happens when #8 and #4 get in space
Old 11-14-18, 10:09 PM
All Ohio

Hope for no rain and good luck to Maple Heights on Friday. Pain train is coming.
Old 11-14-18, 10:20 PM
All Region

hoban2020 is on a distinguished road
Hoban is nationally ranked for a good reason. They’ve won 3 straight championships on their way to a 4th.

All these 10-0 or 9-1 public schools who think they’re so great haven’t stood a chance these last 3 years ... Avon, Barberton, Louisville, Trotwood-Madison, Winton Woods and more have all lost by 20+ to Hoban. The same story will play out on Friday.

Maple Hts may be good, but before the playoffs the highest ranked real they played according to Drew Pasteur’s site was 127th ranked Lorain (won by 6) and 130th ranked Cleveland Hts (won by 7). Nobody else in the regular season even close to a top 150 ranking. Hoban played 8 teams ranked 141st or higher and won by an average of 31 points - often playing with 2nd teamers for a couple of quarters.

Expect close to a replay of the Garfield score last Friday. Weather appears seasonably cool, but dry. Hoban 42, Maple 14.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-18, 10:45 PM
All District

What is Hoban Nationally ranked? Out of curiosity
Old 11-14-18, 10:58 PM
All Ohio

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHMustangs View Post
What is Hoban Nationally ranked? Out of curiosity
Max Preps ranks them #40, and has Maple Hts. at #226.
Old 11-14-18, 11:09 PM
All Ohio

Redwing is on a distinguished road
I hate national HS rankings, but since you asked - 12th in USA Today, one of Max Preps polls has them 21, which I believe is their human poll. Computer has them 40.

Click image for larger version

Name:	USA Today_Ranking.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	2608
Old 11-15-18, 12:36 AM
All American

falguin is on a distinguished road
Take heart MHMUstangs. My Falcons faced a much more daunting scenario against Iggy in the 90. Iggy had won 39 games in a row, were the NC and SC the year before. They had a bunch of DI guys that were huger. Fitch didn't have a guy over 200 pounds on the team at that point. The QB was about the same size. We did have a nice running back with some speech. No one gave us a chance to win that game, and we beat them. Now we ran the wing-t and trapped that big guys all night long. If the right offense is put in place big, strong, fast guys can take themselves out of position. I don't know what you guys run, but a win is not out of the question. The difference between MH and say Barberton and Avon, is MH has won a SC or at least been in the championship game. That type of history and tradition brings a different kind of confidence and expectation. If your kids bring it, they can win.
Old 11-15-18, 07:26 AM
All American

Lynus24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoban2020 View Post
Hoban is nationally ranked for a good reason. They’ve won 3 straight championships on their way to a 4th.

All these 10-0 or 9-1 public schools who think they’re so great haven’t stood a chance these last 3 years ... Avon, Barberton, Louisville, Trotwood-Madison, Winton Woods and more have all lost by 20+ to Hoban. The same story will play out on Friday.

Maple Hts may be good, but before the playoffs the highest ranked real they played according to Drew Pasteur’s site was 127th ranked Lorain (won by 6) and 130th ranked Cleveland Hts (won by 7). Nobody else in the regular season even close to a top 150 ranking. Hoban played 8 teams ranked 141st or higher and won by an average of 31 points - often playing with 2nd teamers for a couple of quarters.

Expect close to a replay of the Garfield score last Friday. Weather appears seasonably cool, but dry. Hoban 42, Maple 14.

Hoban beat Louisville by 7 (not 20+) and were trailing in the 2nd half in 2015.
Louisville stood more than a chance that night. With that being said Hoban wins this week and more than likely rolls into another championship.
Old 11-15-18, 08:57 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynus24 View Post

Louisville stood more than a chance that night. With that being said Hoban wins this week and more than likely rolls into another championship.

I stand corrected ... the 2015 team won by 14 (New Philly), 7 (Louisville), 3 (SVSM) 12 (Zanesville), 13 (Toledo CC) on their path to the state title. Average victory margin 9.8 points. Realistically close games.

2016 average victory was 24.2 (smallest 9)
2017 average victory was 31.8 (smallest 24)
2018 average victory so far is 42.5

Great for the kids involved and all the work they put in. For the non-football dad like me, I’ll attend if the weather is reasonably nice or if there’s a compelling matchup - like SVSM or a Massillon. This year, I’ve been to only 3.5 games (Ignatius, SVSM, Benedictine from the tailgate lot, Garfield). The rest of the time, it’s like “Why am I going to Walsh to watch them win by 50?”

Old 11-15-18, 09:07 AM
All Region

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoban2020 View Post
I stand corrected ... the 2015 team won by 14 (New Philly), 7 (Louisville), 3 (SVSM) 12 (Zanesville), 13 (Toledo CC) on their path to the state title. Average victory margin 9.8 points. Realistically close games.

2016 average victory was 24.2 (smallest 9)
2017 average victory was 31.8 (smallest 24)
2018 average victory so far is 42.5

Great for the kids involved and all the work they put in. For the non-football dad like me, I’ll attend if the weather is reasonably nice or if there’s a compelling matchup - like SVSM or a Massillon. This year, I’ve been to only 3.5 games (Ignatius, SVSM, Benedictine from the tailgate lot, Garfield). The rest of the time, it’s like “Why am I going to Walsh to watch them win by 50?”

If anything, this data shows just how dominant they've become over the last 4 seasons. Remember, in 2014 they were 6-4 playing (arguably) an easier schedule in D3 and 5-5 in 2013. Your stats just show how strong of a powerhouse they've become over the last 4 years. I wonder how long they will keep this up. People act like Hoban has been dominating for the last decade, when in reality it's been more recent than people think.
Old 11-15-18, 09:23 AM
All Ohio

That 2015 team that got it started wasn't as talented as these last 3 teams, but they were a close knit group of grinders that had been through a lot of frustrations up to that point. They didn't overwhelm anybody during that playoff run, all those games were tense, 4 qtr affairs.
Old 11-15-18, 09:38 AM
All World

1disciple is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
If anything, this data shows just how dominant they've become over the last 4 seasons. Remember, in 2014 they were 6-4 playing (arguably) an easier schedule in D3 and 5-5 in 2013. Your stats just show how strong of a powerhouse they've become over the last 4 years. I wonder how long they will keep this up. People act like Hoban has been dominating for the last decade, when in reality it's been more recent than people think.
Exactly
Old 11-15-18, 09:46 AM
All Yappi

longtime1sttime
"Unheralded players help Hoban pursue fourth state title in row"
https://www.ohio.com/sports/20181113...e-title-in-row
Old 11-15-18, 09:47 AM
All Ohio

For the Hoban folks, a nice article in the Beacon this week about some of the new faces and unsung kids that you don't hear much about. Really happy for the Robinson kid playing C, an Akron CYO kid who I never would've thought would be starting on varsity at some point. The article lists him at 230, but he looks 210-215 at best. By far their least imposing lineman, but he's done a great job at a position I thought could be a problem for them this year.

https://www.ohio.com/sports/20181113...e-title-in-row
Old 11-15-18, 09:48 AM
All Yappi

longtime1sttime
"How Shaq Washington’s first Maple Heights team as coach is like his last as a player"

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.co...layoff-points/
Old 11-15-18, 09:55 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
That 2015 team that got it started wasn't as talented as these last 3 teams, but they were a close knit group of grinders that had been through a lot of frustrations up to that point. They didn't overwhelm anybody during that playoff run, all those games were tense, 4 qtr affairs.

That was the last largely CYO group of football players. They dominated freshman play as freshmen in 2012 under Orsini when varsity was pretty bad, Sibley showed up in 2013 (I believe still Orsini), then 2014 was the QB switch mid year which imploded that season, and the train started rolling in 2015 as Tyrrell got into full gear of finding players from the Akron Publics - formerly an SVSM stronghold. The rest is history.

Old 11-15-18, 10:54 AM
All World

Egret has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I can't wait to read this thread Friday night an hour into the game. Certain posters will be long gone buried in their proverbial holes eating crow. Hoban is absolutely going to destroy this team. Early and often.
Old 11-15-18, 10:55 AM
All Ohio

Bobby77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynus24 View Post
Your history is correct but since there is only one player on this year’s team that played in that game it probably is only history and has nothing to do with this week’s matchup.
Old 11-15-18, 12:31 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtime1sttime View Post
"How Shaq Washington’s first Maple Heights team as coach is like his last as a player"

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.co...layoff-points/
I love this read. This team has more explosive players and athletes than the State title team back in 2010! This game will be a lot closer than most think.
Old 11-15-18, 12:37 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
I can't wait to read this thread Friday night an hour into the game. Certain posters will be long gone buried in their proverbial holes eating crow. Hoban is absolutely going to destroy this team. Early and often.
Again, I won't run and hide. I'm going down with the ship! I'll be back on here Saturday morning at the latest.... But I honestly think Maple is the best team Hoban has faced since week 1. We will score and we will score a lot! this will be a game People!
Old 11-15-18, 12:45 PM
All District

ColinCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I agree. The Ignatius offense was sub par but the defense was championship quality, and the Cats still had a hard time with Hoban's offense and making critical stops.
Old 11-15-18, 02:42 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Again, I won't run and hide. I'm going down with the ship! I'll be back on here Saturday morning at the latest.... But I honestly think Maple is the best team Hoban has faced since week 1. We will score and we will score a lot! this will be a game People!
3rd-4th best behind Wayne and St V. You will be fortunate to get 2 scores and nothing in the second half. Just going on history past 2 years.
Old 11-15-18, 03:10 PM
All Ohio

Scipio is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Take heart MHMUstangs. My Falcons faced a much more daunting scenario against Iggy in the 90. Iggy had won 39 games in a row, were the NC and SC the year before. They had a bunch of DI guys that were huger. Fitch didn't have a guy over 200 pounds on the team at that point. The QB was about the same size. We did have a nice running back with some speech. No one gave us a chance to win that game, and we beat them. Now we ran the wing-t and trapped that big guys all night long. If the right offense is put in place big, strong, fast guys can take themselves out of position. I don't know what you guys run, but a win is not out of the question. The difference between MH and say Barberton and Avon, is MH has won a SC or at least been in the championship game. That type of history and tradition brings a different kind of confidence and expectation. If your kids bring it, they can win.
Gotta love us old guys pulling out games from 28...or 40 years ago to make a point...

My wife just shakes her head at me.
Old 11-15-18, 04:20 PM
Junior Varsity

We Are Massillon is an unknown quantity at this point
Tigers on the prowl!!!

Quote:
Enjoy this week Hoban because The Tigers are coming! Gonna be a great game! Come back to this post when the Knights are sent home! Roar!!!!!!
Old 11-15-18, 04:25 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
3rd-4th best behind Wayne and St V. You will be fortunate to get 2 scores and nothing in the second half. Just going on history past 2 years.
No way. Definitely the 2nd best. And we definitely have the most explosive players out of the teams as well. I laugh at you saying we’ll only score 2 touchdowns. Hobans players are built to play in the Box. I can’t wait to see what happens when Maple players get into Space!
Old 11-15-18, 04:59 PM
All World

Egret has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
No way. Definitely the 2nd best. And we definitely have the most explosive players out of the teams as well. I laugh at you saying we’ll only score 2 touchdowns. Hobans players are built to play in the Box. I can’t wait to see what happens when Maple players get into Space!
The only space they'll be "getting into" is outer space after they have their clocks cleaned.