Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who Wins
Hubbard by 15+ 7 15.56%
Hubbard by 8-14 16 35.56%
Hubbard by 1-7 8 17.78%
Girard by 1-7 5 11.11%
Girard by 8-14 5 11.11%
Girard by 15+ 4 8.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-18, 01:19 PM
All American

roberto21 is on a distinguished road
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster4321 View Post
Mark Waid 42 carries last night? Good lord. Did he drive the bus home too?

No, but on the highlights, they showed him taking Chick-filet sandwich orders between plays. And I'm not sure but it could have been popcorn bags in the sack on his back for delivery.

Some of the comments on here about how good Girard has become since the first game and how nobody in their right mind would try anything different to slow Waid down, has me wondering why they are playing this game, especially since Hubbard has been stagnant since then and have lost 4 players since game#2. How will they ever recover enough strength to go on the field?
Old 11-12-18, 01:36 PM
Freshman

TammyMarie is on a distinguished road
Anyone else surprised this game is at Niles? The location makes sense but other than that the facility isnt up to hosting a regional final.

Good luck to whatever team is the visiting team. Bring buckets to catch all the leaking water and maybe some disinfectant. The visiting locker room is something right out of a horror movie. But dont worry most of the team won't fit into the locker room anyway.

Nice field and lots of seats but other than that not really sure why this was picked over a lot of other places like fitch or warren or boardman.
Old 11-12-18, 01:46 PM
All World

wghfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TammyMarie View Post
Anyone else surprised this game is at Niles? The location makes sense but other than that the facility isnt up to hosting a regional final.

Good luck to whatever team is the visiting team. Bring buckets to catch all the leaking water and maybe some disinfectant. The visiting locker room is something right out of a horror movie. But dont worry most of the team won't fit into the locker room anyway.

Nice field and lots of seats but other than that not really sure why this was picked over a lot of other places like fitch or warren or boardman.
Girard at Niles this year. They are 2-0, and averaging over 45 points a game there. Things must not be that bad for them
Old 11-12-18, 01:49 PM
All Ohio

ICBM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TammyMarie View Post

Perhaps a thank you for stepping up at the last minute in an emergency situation.
Old 11-12-18, 02:40 PM
Varsity

NEohioFB is on a distinguished road
Now does Niles make any profit from hosting? I know they struggle to pass any kind of levy and you’re right, other than the actual turf, the facilities are horrendous. Maybe they can use money earned to help this situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-18, 06:02 PM
All World

sportster4321 is on a distinguished road
Hubbard needs to keep the intensity up and continue to play angry. What they did to Steubenville is a great accomplishment. If they continue to play smart lights out football, the sky is the limit.
Old 11-12-18, 09:11 PM
All World

Drew P, highschoolball, and Calpreps all heavy on Hubbard this week. Means absolutely nothing as 2 of the 3 were heavy Steubenville last week and I'm sure Girard Perry was the same.
Old 11-12-18, 10:46 PM
All World

5 Days. Wings up prepare to soar Eagles!
Old 11-13-18, 09:02 AM
All Ohio

ICBM is on a distinguished road
North East Ohio Inland team announced. Offensive and defensive Players of the year face off Saturday in Niles.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2018/nov/1...rn-top-honors/
Old 11-13-18, 10:22 AM
All Ohio

YTOWN is on a distinguished road
Gentlemen,

I have been going back and forth on who I think is going to win this game. I think Hubbard has an edge on the defensive side of the ball and so I think they would be a slight favorite but it's not easy to beat a team twice in the same season. Can Girard stop Hubbard's running game. Can Hubbard slow the Waid juggernaut? We shall soon see.

In the interim how about a local playoff trivia question while we are waiting for the game? We have established that before this upcoming game the last all area regional final was Mooney-Poland in 2009 but can you name the year and the teams involved in the first one?

On a related note: Obviously prior to 1980 there were no regional finals as only one team per region qualified so the first round was the semi-final. However the first all area match up occurred in 1973 when Mooney defeated defending AAA state champion Warren Western Reserve in the AAA state title game. That is the ultimate all local playoff match up.

That 1973 AAA title game match was also the 1st rematch of a regular season game in the championship game. It was the only one for 28 years after that and is the first of 6 that have occurred so far.
Old 11-13-18, 12:38 PM
All World

Pretty school stuff YTOWN. Who won the regular season matchup in that championship game rematch between Mooney and Reserve? As for the first all local regional final post 1980.. I'm still trying to come up with something. Feel like Chaney played in a all local game back then. Could be way off though.
Old 11-13-18, 12:44 PM
All Ohio

Scipio is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Pretty school stuff YTOWN. Who won the regular season matchup in that championship game rematch between Mooney and Reserve?
Reserve completely crushed Mooney during the regular season. Totally dominated every facet of the game and it was never close.
Thusly, WWR took Mooney lightly in the Championship game and Mooney was able to squeak by with some unknown RB.
Old 11-13-18, 12:49 PM
All American

Gardens35 is on a distinguished road
Wasn't it 6-0, fumble and run for TD?
Old 11-13-18, 12:57 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardens35 View Post
Wasn't it 6-0, fumble and run for TD?
Yes it was. WWR's Brian DeCree returned a Mooney fumble about 70 yards for the only score of the game. I think Scipio is just breaking stones a little bit. Also, as good as WWR was for all the years they were open that was the only time they beat Mooney. The Cardinals finished 8-1 all time against Reserve

sportser,

Chaney did play East in a regional final in 1997 but there were several before that.

Hint:

One of the teams involved in the regional final in question defeated a defending state champion in week one of the season in question. That win was the springboad to the team qualifying.

That hint probably doesn't help much.
Old 11-13-18, 01:05 PM
All Ohio

I was there Ytown. What you conveniently leave out...was how dominating DeCree's run was. Weaving in and out, stiff arming guys to the ground, outrunning the rest like they were standing still. Just a crushing run. Don't be a hater.

This old guy is hoping for decent weather to go to this game in Niles. I don't have a dog in this fight, but I am thinking I'll take the over. What is the spread from the restaurant down your way YTown?
Old 11-13-18, 01:08 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by YTOWN View Post
... I think Scipio is just breaking stones a little bit. ......
Yes, He had me at THUSLY.
Old 11-13-18, 01:18 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Yes, He had me at THUSLY.
Yes that choice certainly defies his limited mental capacity.

Scip,

They did score 80 in that week two game so that might be a good over/under. If I had to make a line I would make Hubbard the chalk by anywhere from 1 to 42.

A little bit more info for the hint I gave above:

The defending state champ that lost to one of the regional finalists we are looking for is the same defending state champ that the Eagles just knocked off.
Old 11-13-18, 04:15 PM
All World

Still searching Ytown. I know Labrae and Rayen both broke through to the state semis in the mid 80's. Cant remember the opponents.
Old 11-13-18, 04:16 PM
All World

Weather is now showing clear for Saturday. Should be similar to this past Friday. Clear and cold. Good Ohio football weather.
Old 11-13-18, 05:17 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Still searching Ytown. I know Labrae and Rayen both broke through to the state semis in the mid 80's. Cant remember the opponents.
They both did indeed make it to the semis in the 80's.

LaBrae did it in 1983 but they did not play a local team in the 1st round which was the regional final then. The Vikings did pull off what at the time was considered to be a major upset even though they were 10-0 and had 7 shutouts in the regular season. I think they only gave up 17 points in the regular season. They beat the 2-time defending D3 state champion Akron St. V-St.M Irish in that regional final before losing to Elyria Catholic in the semis. ASVM had one loss, to Akron Garfield who ended the season as the D1 runner-up.

That leaves Rayen and the Tigers are indeed one of the teams we are looking for. They went down to Steubenville to open the 1985 season against the defending D2 state champs and pulled off the shocker when they hit a hook and lateral for about a 70-yard TD with about 2 minutes left in the game for the win. Rayen finished 9-1 in the regular season. The loss was to 9-1 Boardman, who lost to Mooney. Big Red regrouped and made it to the D2 semi-final where Mooney beat them so they started their season with a loss to a Youngstown team and ended their season with a loss to a Youngstown team.

In the 1st round Rayen played and defeated Struthers and that was the first time two local teams met in the playoffs since the aforementioned AAA title game in 1973. Rayen then met and defeated that other area team we are looking for in the 2nd round, which was the regional final.
Old 11-13-18, 05:24 PM
All American

Wjfk.
Old 11-13-18, 05:38 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Wjfk.
We have a winner. Rayen beat JFK in the regional final but unfortunately for the Tigers they lost their starting QB in the game and had to play without him in the semis. Any time you lose a QB it hurts but when you run the wishbone it's probably worse. Rayen lost to Orrville by 10.

I talked to Orrville's coaches two year later at the 1987 week 9 Mooney-Ursuline game. They were scouting because they thought they would see at least one of them in the playoffs. Struthers had other ideas though and beat Ursuline in week 10 knocking them out of the playoffs and then beating the Red Riders in round one which set up the 2nd all local regional final against Mooney.

Anyway I asked them about that 85 Rayen game and they said the Tigers were the scariest team they saw on film all year. They felt they were fortunate that Rayen had to play without Mr. Donaldson at QB.

That was Rayen's only playoff appearance so they ended up with a .667 playoff winning percentage with their 2-1 record.
Old 11-13-18, 06:27 PM
All World

@YTOWN You ever think about writing a book covering the Valleys history and love for highschool football? Great knowledge! So little information available through online searches which is actually a shame. Bravo my friend! Man were some of those teams tough. They sure as hell didn't like each other but they always respected each other.
Old 11-13-18, 09:48 PM
All Ohio

He’s been hearing that for decades.
Old 11-13-18, 10:42 PM
All Ohio

nupanther is on a distinguished road
Dag habbit! Read this thread too late. I was gonna say Rayen and JFK. Good time for the north side because the 84-85 basketball team finally broke through after all those regional championship and won state. One of their key contributors was former Golden Bear Floyd Showers.
As for this Hubbard/Girard game???? I just hope for a dry night so I don't freeze my a&% off. Get ya popcorn ready!
Old 11-14-18, 12:33 AM
All World

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
Who would the winner of this play?
Old 11-14-18, 12:51 AM
All World

Assuming winner of this gets R15 winner of St Clairsville and Licking Valley.
Old 11-14-18, 08:51 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by nupanther View Post
Dag habbit! Read this thread too late. I was gonna say Rayen and JFK. Good time for the north side because the 84-85 basketball team finally broke through after all those regional championship and won state. One of their key contributors was former Golden Bear Floyd Showers.
As for this Hubbard/Girard game???? I just hope for a dry night so I don't freeze my a&% off. Get ya popcorn ready!
I was waiting for you to weigh in. I figured you would know.

I never followed hoops as close as football but I remember coach Cegledy saying that he probably had 4 or 5 teams better than the 84-85 team that finally won a state title for the Tigers. I think Mike Lyle was the tourney MVP for them.

I know they lost one game, it was a PA. team and I think it was Farrell, very early in the season. Do you remember who beat them?

sportster,

I have done a few and I helped a gentleman named Gene Janecko do several, may he rest in peace. He passed away late last year. He played football at Campbell and was good enough to be recruited by Paul Brown at OSU. He was a good guy.

Historically more often than not the winner of R13 does get the R15 winner but it depends on who comes out of the regions. I do know of a few years when R13 played R14 in the semis.
Old 11-14-18, 12:34 PM
All District

south yo is on a distinguished road
As I predicted last week the R13 championship would be Hubbard vrs Girard . I think the winner of this game beats whoever wins R15 so I like Hubbard in a sqeaker . I think Hubbard's run game keeps waid off the field just enough to pull it out.
Old 11-14-18, 09:50 PM
All American

Lep2002 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Pretty wild that two schools from the AAC are in this position with this much momentum both ways. This is what I was trying to allude to in that Steubenville thread spread. I wasn't trying to stir the pot. Our schools get told year after year that they don't stand a chance due to scheduling, ect. I think there have been a number of teams in our conference over the years that could have done it but just fell short. Howland and Poland had some great teams mid 2000's but couldn't break through. Girard in 2011, Hubbard in 2013 and 2014 ran into a monster one year and had bad luck the next. I think Struthers could have been special in 2016 but it didnt work out. Harding with Bowden. Fitch with Hall and co. If I'm a coach in our area I'm telling my kids to go Niles Saturday to watch two valley schools battle for the chance to represent our area in the semis. If these two can break through anyone can. I'm telling my players to never settle and this is why.
I think the interesting question is whether or not the fall of the smaller school Catholic teams in NE Ohio is a trend. Go look at the teams you mentioned and most had a Catholic roadblock in their region. Howland ran into some good Lake Catholic teams. I know Hubbard lost to STVM 3 years in a row and they have lost to Lake Catholic and Mooney. Girard had a really good team a handful of years ago that lost to Ursuline. Poland has losses that I can remember to STVM and Lake Catholic. Liberty had some really good teams fall to Mooney and Ursuline. Typically it is really tough for a school like Girard to Beat Ursuline. It is tough for Liberty to beat Mooney. It is really tough for Poland to beat STVM. Go back and look at the history. How many wins do the local D2, D3, and D4 teams have over programs like Ursuline, STVM, Hoban, Benedictine, Mooney, etc? I know Liberty beat Ursuline and a really good Mentor Lake Catholic team in the mid-2000's. I think Lakeview may have beaten a Walsh Jesuit at some point. Chaney had some real success. Maybe I am blanking on some obvious answers but there aren't many.

I think Region 13 was good this year, but there is not a big, bad Ursuline team standing in the way. There isn't a classic Mooney team or Benedictine for Hubbard to deal with. Do any Hubbard fans think their team this year avoids a running clock to those elite STVM teams they played? I doubt it. It does leave the Trumbull county with a very exciting week 13 matchup and that is something all of us can be thankful for.
Closed Thread