Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Softball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-22-18, 12:18 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Rotational versus Linear Hitting (Baseball Swing vs Softball Swing)

Talking to a recent graduate that played softball in the Akron area, she had a rotational swing and was constantly being encouraged to change to a linear swing.

What do you think? Is a linear swing better for softball?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-18, 11:30 AM
All Region

mikedyer is on a distinguished road
I know a "hitting instructor" who claims to teach "linear" hitting and says it's Superior to "rotational." .

The thing is he can't define exactly what makes a swing linear or rotational.
Old 03-23-18, 06:51 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedyer View Post
I know a "hitting instructor" who claims to teach "linear" hitting and says it's Superior to "rotational." .

The thing is he can't define exactly what makes a swing linear or rotational.
I think most swings are a hybrid. Seems that watching college softball, there are more hitters trending towards rotational.
Old 03-24-18, 05:57 AM
All Region

mikedyer is on a distinguished road
Here's another.

My kid had a high school coach who claimed to have played some college ball. She told me "Her swing is too rotational. Needs to be more linear."

So what's the difference?

She said "Well.. my swing was rotational when I went to college. They worked with me and we made it linear. My average went wwwaaayyy up.."

Ok,,, but what does that mean?

"It's just different. One is rotational. One is linear.."

And the conversation sort of just went like that.
Old 03-24-18, 08:22 PM
Go Buckeyes

Sometimes I think there are people who want to make themselves appear more knowledgeable than the person they are talking too. Then they look a little sheepish when the person they are talking to already knows about these topics.
Old 03-25-18, 11:17 PM
All Ohio

ringer2 is on a distinguished road
There s a difference even though most can’t articulate it. Here is a good summary.

http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/...arHitting.html
Old 08-29-18, 12:56 PM
Go Buckeyes

Bumping this to the top. What do you see in HS softball? More linear swings or more rotational?
Old 08-29-18, 01:41 PM
All Ohio

Airborne88 is on a distinguished road
JMHO - I believe it depends on the hitter. Some kids have the tools to be power hitters and most incorporate a hybrid of linear and rotational. They attack the ball with linear movement (a small and controlled stride) then finish with a strong rotation of the core. Some kids are more contact hitters and a linear swing that keeps the barrel through the zone longer works really well for them.

I agree with some of the other posters that the topic is often confused and people like to tout one of the other to impress their students.

I'm way more interested in keeping weight back, hand path, footwork, head and finish. I've seen some really great hitters constantly barrel up balls with very little formal training. And, I've seen some average hitters spend thousands on hitting lessons.

Hit the ball "on time" and on the sweet spot of the barrel and things will work out.
Old 08-29-18, 05:14 PM
All Ohio

HSFB Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Bumping this to the top. What do you see in HS softball? More linear swings or more rotational?
Depends on the league.

In SW Ohio CMAC, MVC you see a lot of rotational or squish the bug.
GMC, GWOC you see a lot of full stride swings. Other leagues will have a mix of teams with ladies getting hitting instruction in one or the other.
Old 11-02-18, 01:47 PM
Go Buckeyes

Running into this issue again and just had to vent.

I personally think there are good hitters from both styles of hitting. They are unique to the batters and each kid has different strengths and weaknesses.

With that said, why are so many youth parents against "a baseball swing" (ie rotational)? I can't count the number of times I've heard educated people who have followed or played softball saying that it is wrong to teach softball players a baseball swing. If you watch college softball or happen to see the pros, the majority are now using the rotational swing. You can put many of the best college softball hitters and superimpose the top MLB players and their swings are almost identical.

There is NOTHING wrong with teaching rotational swings to softball players. We need to get past this complaining about people who have different swings than what was taught 30 years ago.

Just to be clear, both are solid styles for softball. My biggest beef is the number of people who criticize rotational swings. I don't think I've ever heard someone criticize a linear swing but hear way too many people who are quick to put down swings that are different from how they were taught.

End of rant.
Old 11-05-18, 09:57 AM
All Region

NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne88 View Post
JMHO - I believe it depends on the hitter. Some kids have the tools to be power hitters and most incorporate a hybrid of linear and rotational. They attack the ball with linear movement (a small and controlled stride) then finish with a strong rotation of the core. Some kids are more contact hitters and a linear swing that keeps the barrel through the zone longer works really well for them.

I agree with some of the other posters that the topic is often confused and people like to tout one of the other to impress their students.

I'm way more interested in keeping weight back, hand path, footwork, head and finish. I've seen some really great hitters constantly barrel up balls with very little formal training. And, I've seen some average hitters spend thousands on hitting lessons.

Hit the ball "on time" and on the sweet spot of the barrel and things will work out.
This!!! Kids can be successful using either approach. It's more about hand eye coordination and timing. And in softball at the higher levels, it's about being a great guesser. Most hitters have about 2/3's to 3/4's of a second to decide whether a ball is a ball or a strike. Most kids who are great hitters in fastpitch softball have that skill that no hitting instructor can teach.
Old 11-05-18, 10:07 AM
All Region

NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Running into this issue again and just had to vent.

I personally think there are good hitters from both styles of hitting. They are unique to the batters and each kid has different strengths and weaknesses.

With that said, why are so many youth parents against "a baseball swing" (ie rotational)? I can't count the number of times I've heard educated people who have followed or played softball saying that it is wrong to teach softball players a baseball swing. If you watch college softball or happen to see the pros, the majority are now using the rotational swing. You can put many of the best college softball hitters and superimpose the top MLB players and their swings are almost identical.

There is NOTHING wrong with teaching rotational swings to softball players. We need to get past this complaining about people who have different swings than what was taught 30 years ago.

Just to be clear, both are solid styles for softball. My biggest beef is the number of people who criticize rotational swings. I don't think I've ever heard someone criticize a linear swing but hear way too many people who are quick to put down swings that are different from how they were taught.

End of rant.
I think the argument a lot of people make is that a rotational swing is too "big" or too slow for the game of fastpitch softball. I will say that in my experience it seems that a lot of girls with "baseball" type swings tend to strikeout more than girls with "softball" swings, but the girls with the rotational style also seem to hit the ball with more power. I for one am willing to take the trade-off if a girl can but the ball over the fence and drive it into the gaps for extra bases on a regular basis.
Old 11-05-18, 03:10 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOldBlood View Post
I think the argument a lot of people make is that a rotational swing is too "big" or too slow for the game of fastpitch softball. I will say that in my experience it seems that a lot of girls with "baseball" type swings tend to strikeout more than girls with "softball" swings, but the girls with the rotational style also seem to hit the ball with more power. I for one am willing to take the trade-off if a girl can but the ball over the fence and drive it into the gaps for extra bases on a regular basis.
Agreed. Typically the "contact" hitter is the linear hitter. The "power" hitter is the rotational hitter. Teams probably prefer to have a good mix of both type of hitters.

That's not to say that linear has no power or rotational can't make consistent contact. They are just two different styles and most kids have a hybrid swing that leans one way or the other. My biggest beef is the parents who belittle those that teach baseball swings.
Old 11-08-18, 02:39 PM
All Yappi

MCGal is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MCGal
Agree with those above ... linear is 'better' because it's quicker... in fast pitch softball especially at the highest level, it's rare to find someone who has a quick enough "rotational" (aka not throwing your hands directly at the pitch) type swing.
Old 11-08-18, 03:49 PM
Junior Varsity

kxf523 is on a distinguished road
Wow, I really thought this debate died at least 5-10 years ago. I know it did at the highest levels of Travel, college, and professional softball.
Even experts like Sue Enquist of UCLA and Olympic coaching fame have admitted their error of trying to differentiate between a baseball swing and a softball swing a long time ago do to the new slow motion video capturing technology.
Most high level hitting coaches coach both boys and girls exactly the same way. Itís both rotational and linear with varying degrees depending on style. I havenít heard anyone call it rotational or linear in a really long time because most people realized great hitting is attributed to both aspect.
If your looking for high level girls softball talk I suggest this forum
https://www.discussfastpitch.com/
Lots of college and professional coaches, instructors, and players getting into more details than you could imagine. Enjoy
Old 11-08-18, 04:17 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxf523 View Post
Wow, I really thought this debate died at least 5-10 years ago. I know it did at the highest levels of Travel, college, and professional softball.
Even experts like Sue Enquist of UCLA and Olympic coaching fame have admitted their error of trying to differentiate between a baseball swing and a softball swing a long time ago do to the new slow motion video capturing technology.
Most high level hitting coaches coach both boys and girls exactly the same way. Itís both rotational and linear with varying degrees depending on style. I havenít heard anyone call it rotational or linear in a really long time because most people realized great hitting is attributed to both aspect.
If your looking for high level girls softball talk I suggest this forum
https://www.discussfastpitch.com/
Lots of college and professional coaches, instructors, and players getting into more details than you could imagine. Enjoy
Interestingly, I've searched "linear swing" on youtube and have come up almost empty with the exception of "rotational versus linear" swing.

My frustration was from a few people who were very critical calling it a baseball swing and thinking it was wholly inappropriate for a girl to be taught that swing.
Old 11-09-18, 07:41 AM
Junior Varsity

kxf523 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Interestingly, I've searched "linear swing" on youtube and have come up almost empty with the exception of "rotational versus linear" swing.

My frustration was from a few people who were very critical calling it a baseball swing and thinking it was wholly inappropriate for a girl to be taught that swing.
Thatís crazy. If someone is telling your daughter that she has a baseball swing I guess I would take it as a compliment? I would also ask them to demonstrate the difference and the reason for an alternative swing for a similar sport.
Bottom line a good swing is a good swing be it baseball or softball, itís still the same challenge.
Old 11-11-18, 07:59 AM
All Ohio

HSFB Fan is on a distinguished road

One of the greatest hitters of all time was a "squish the bug hitter" in most at bats. When Pete would stride he took a 4 to 6 inch step. Lots of good videos of success vs. MLB pitching and the lower body stayed home and rotated.

What works... works. If the numbers are there and you get on base, drive in runs that is what hitting is about. I have seen success at all levels using both.

Too many coaches and parents today focus on the launch angle, over stride or HR swing for little sally who at 5.2 100 lbs. is going to be a power hitter she is...They then over reach with the front foot dragging the rear in their approach to get the body moving forward. Another issue is leg kick, lots of kids/parents see MLB players or SP players with a high leg kick to stride and try to get little johnny or sally to do the same to increase power SMH...

Last edited by HSFB Fan; 11-11-18 at 08:12 AM..