Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-03-18, 03:43 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Ashland University is 1st to recruit top Fortnite players with bona fide scholarships

Quote:
As the broad-based popularity of esports continue to grow, colleges are reacting in kind. Conferences are launching esports competitions, some individual colleges are aggressively targeting skilled esports players and, now, at least one college is jumping on board the next big thing and offering true scholarship money to entice elite players.

As reported by Digital Trends, Ashland University in Ohio has incorporated the battle royale shooter Fortnite into its esports scholarship program. The school initiated its esports scholarship program in fall 2017, offering grant-in-aid money to student e-athletes who excelled playing League of Legends, Overwatch, Counter Strike: Global Offensive, and Rocket League.
Read more:
http://usatodayhss.com/2018/ohio-uni...e-scholarships
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-18, 03:56 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
why ?
Old 05-03-18, 11:41 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
why ?
Because esports has taken off to a level that nobody ever imagined. I'm not sure how many scholarships they're offering but let's say it's 10. They're capped at $4,000. That's a total of $40,000 for an ungodly amount of publicity. Ashland's making national news and bringing attention to the university and attracting students for "good reasons". Only way they make the news besides that is for something like a school shooting.

Also the B1G Ten just had a very successful tournament in terms of ratings. The NBA's new E League was originally set to pay those "athletes" more money than G League players. And some of these guys are making upwards of $100,000+ a month to stream their games live on platforms such as Twitch. I don't game but have been interested in this movement.
Old 05-04-18, 01:36 AM
All Ohio

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
One of our local high schools is looking to introduce its own e-sports team/league next fall. Not only are the students crazed over the prospect, but the faculty is also on board in that teachers have noted a correlation between gaming interest and STEM (or STEAM) subject/career interest among students. With our education system's ever-increasing push toward establishing STEM programs at every school, perhaps it is only a matter of time before most schools have their own e-sports programs.

This past year, our local school observed that many of its gamers were also above-average students who showed a surprising amount of enthusiasm, focus, ingenuity, persistence, competitiveness, and strategic-planning when presented with science, technology, engineering, and math projects in STEM classes. And, the kids were obsessed with Elon Musk, lol. Perhaps more importantly, the high school recognized that it had heretofore failed to engage this often-overlooked population in terms of offering extracurricular activities that, amongst these typically-uninvolved students, had the potential to foster a newfound excitement for and connection with the greater school community. Hence, the e-sports proposal was introduced.

All things considered, why wouldn't a college extend a scholarship to a student with this type of profile?
Old 05-04-18, 02:59 AM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
This could backfire on these universities who are giving kids even more reason to be on their playsystems at 4:00 in the morning when they should be asleep.

The addictive nature of gaming is very destructive to other more practical disciplines of life such as hygiene . One of the great gamers at OSU this year got sent home last week right before finals because his passion for his "sport" was disrupting the ability of other students to study or sleep.

Young children are getting hooked on these games and the result can be rather devastating to their development of physical skills.

Time will tell, but gaming seems to have a great potential negative impact on its participants when they spend every waking minute thinking or interacting in such games.
Old 05-04-18, 09:51 AM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
smart
Old 05-04-18, 09:52 AM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post
This could backfire on these universities who are giving kids even more reason to be on their playsystems at 4:00 in the morning when they should be asleep.

The addictive nature of gaming is very destructive to other more practical disciplines of life such as hygiene . One of the great gamers at OSU this year got sent home last week right before finals because his passion for his "sport" was disrupting the ability of other students to study or sleep.

Young children are getting hooked on these games and the result can be rather devastating to their development of physical skills.

Time will tell, but gaming seems to have a great potential negative impact on its participants when they spend every waking minute thinking or interacting in such games.
how many crimes have osu football players been convicted of?
Old 05-04-18, 10:25 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post

I'm sorry, but what you said just reminded me of an older gentleman I overheard this past week, talking to a store clerk about our Youth ... "This younger generation is going to take us straight to hell in a handbasket. You mark my words!"

Maybe so.

Don't get me wrong ... like you, I sort of cringe when I see the physical (and hygienic) decay of some of our Youth, who take their obsession with gaming to a whole other level. That said, we can't continue to be blind to the fact that traditional high school sports are just not for everyone. Heck, it's always been that way. Moreover, we can no longer ignore that gaming has captured a more prominent position in the everyday lives of much of our Youth, as compared to previous generations.

So, how can we extract something good from this seemingly unhealthy (and unstoppable) youth development? Can we, as a society, identify and further-develop a particular sought-after skill set shared amongst the non-athletic gamer set (which perhaps includes technological savvy, strategic-thinking, and competitiveness) that can be utilized in ways that help advance our society?

I guess it remains to be seen, but we will never know until we try.
Old 05-04-18, 10:40 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
The Air Force, or Navy I forget which, adopted the use of Xbox controllers to do training simulations and drastically cut training time. Seems like video games have some real life use outside the used and tired cliche of shoving cheetos and Mt. Dew down your gullet.
Old 05-04-18, 10:56 AM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
I remember zelda helped me learn to think outside the box
Old 05-04-18, 12:50 PM
All World

Chop Stix is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't see how a $4k/yr scholarship for a nondescript school with a COA over $30k/yr would be enticing to anyone.
Old 05-04-18, 12:59 PM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
The Air Force, or Navy I forget which, adopted the use of Xbox controllers to do training simulations and drastically cut training time. Seems like video games have some real life use outside the used and tired cliche of shoving cheetos and Mt. Dew down your gullet.
You're right. I don't recall the branch either, but I do know it was for Drones.
Old 05-05-18, 11:54 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop Stix View Post
I don't see how a $4k/yr scholarship for a nondescript school with a COA over $30k/yr would be enticing to anyone.
I don't think the money's really the selling point, more so that they have a team. There's a large majority of families that believe their kid should go to college no matter the circumstances. They don't buy into the fact that you can make a living by going to a trade school or no college at all. Parents will use it as a selling point that they can play video games in college.

It'll be interesting in the next few years what types of regulations are placed on these teams. These kids can make way more than $4,000 a year playing online. Are they going to be able to do both?
Old 05-08-18, 07:56 PM
All American

Some Fortnite player finished last month with the most social media interactions under the athlete portion. Beating out the likes of Ronaldo and Lebron...
Old 05-08-18, 08:37 PM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
I don't think the money's really the selling point, more so that they have a team. There's a large majority of families that believe their kid should go to college no matter the circumstances. They don't buy into the fact that you can make a living by going to a trade school or no college at all. Parents will use it as a selling point that they can play video games in college.

It'll be interesting in the next few years what types of regulations are placed on these teams. These kids can make way more than $4,000 a year playing online. Are they going to be able to do both?
Yes to the last question. I believe they won't be sanctioned/governed by the NCAA. Sort of like how roping/reining/rodeo stuff isn't an NCAA sport but has their own weird governing body who runs the national tourneys. Some chick from A+M, Hailey Kinsel, won like 400 grand at The American.
Old 05-08-18, 10:28 PM
All American

There appears to be big money and a larger following than many may believe. I mean I guess I've always just watched live NBA games instead of video game NBA games because they weren't an option? Maybe I'll turn one on and find it entertaining and continue watching. I can def say I'll prob tune in at least once to see what it's about. NBA seems to believe in it since they're throwing millions into it.

I don't see it being extremely popular with the older crowd but they'll market hard towards 18-25. And hope that group continues to watch year after year. I believe that's why colleges are trying to jump in while it's hot.
Old 05-09-18, 04:44 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop Stix View Post
You just stack it up with athletic and academic awards, participation in service programs, work study, etc and whittle down the pile
Old 05-09-18, 11:24 PM
All American

It got their name out in the Fortnite community which I doubt many had heard of Ashland. Very smart by the college and cost them little to nothing. Great marketing
Old 05-21-18, 12:03 PM
All Ohio

Fortnite providing big money for eSports tournament prizes:

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/e...rts-tournament
Old 05-21-18, 07:12 PM
All American

The advancement of eSports over the next few years at the college level will be interesting. Will they try and keep kids from competing in money games like this? I guess they'll probably have to come up with a governing body.
Old 06-15-18, 08:28 AM
All Ohio

Bleacher Report just had an interesting article about the rise of eSports:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...sity-obsession
Old 06-15-18, 08:31 AM
All Ohio

And another article, from 3 weeks ago, in Education Week:

https://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2...3484&U=1353359

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: