Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-15-17, 09:20 PM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
Breaking up a no-hitter with a bunt

Just looking for opinions here. I know what I think but I'm not going to share my thoughts just yet...

Fifth inning of a regular season game featuring two teams that are already out of the tourney. Home team leads 4-0 in the 5th and their starting pitcher hasn't allowed a hit yet. Kid for the visiting team lays down a bunt and gets a clean hit.

Bush league, legitimate, or somewhere in between?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-17, 09:46 PM
All Region

Over The Hills is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
Just looking for opinions here. I know what I think but I'm not going to share my thoughts just yet...

Fifth inning of a regular season game featuring two teams that are already out of the tourney. Home team leads 4-0 in the 5th and their starting pitcher hasn't allowed a hit yet. Kid for the visiting team lays down a bunt and gets a clean hit.

These "Bush League" issues always make me laugh.

Legitimate = a hit, no matter how it occurs....if it wasn't a hit, it would be called something else.

Bush League = saying a bunt is bush when breaking up a "no hitter".....in the 5th inning of a one swing game, as if a bunt is not a hit.

In Between = play hard on every pitch and try to do what you can to win with class.
Old 05-15-17, 10:01 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Top of five is still pretty early. 4 runs isn't a ton. No one likes to be no-hit.

Not bush, and the "Bush Leagues" are higher up the food chain than high school ball, anyway.

That said, I wouldn't call for the bunt as a coach. My fast kids would have a green light to bunt for a hit with no one on. If they are more confident in bunting than in swinging in that at bat, that's fine by me.

Last edited by cabezadecaballo; 05-15-17 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-15-17, 10:23 PM
All Ohio

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
A bunt is a hit. So normal to me. I doubt anyone would say bush league besides some crazy parent
Old 05-15-17, 10:28 PM
All American

darbydavidsonfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over The Hills View Post
These "Bush League" issues always make me laugh.

Legitimate = a hit, no matter how it occurs....if it wasn't a hit, it would be called something else.

Bush League = saying a bunt is bush when breaking up a "no hitter".....in the 5th inning of a one swing game, as if a bunt is not a hit.

In Between = play hard on every pitch and try to do what you can to win with class.
^^^This

What's the point of even playing the game if you're not trying to win. Got to get some base runners to score. Maybe the bunt hit starts a rally.
Old 05-16-17, 03:47 AM
All District

USA70PP is on a distinguished road
Kid has a 25 game hit streak. Pitcher walks him every time up. "Bush league"?
Old 05-16-17, 05:45 AM
All Region

Bugsy8875 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA70PP View Post
Not sure if that would ruin his hitting streak because he didn't have an official at bat even though he was in the game. Interesting thing to think about.
Old 05-16-17, 05:46 AM
All Region

Quote:

It's legit! Kid trying to make something happen. The defense needs to defend the bunt and get the kid out.
Old 05-16-17, 06:00 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:

*It is only the 5th inning.
*It is only 4-0.

Legit.
Old 05-16-17, 06:14 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA70PP View Post
That's a pretty good point. No one thinks twice when certain hitters may be lucky to see even one hittable pitch in an at bat.
Old 05-16-17, 06:19 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
A bunt is a hit. So normal to me. I doubt anyone would say bush league besides some crazy parent
Most crazy parents that I know might say it in the moment but back off later, too. Important part of being half-crazy.
Old 05-16-17, 06:47 AM
All Yappi

thePITman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Top of five is still pretty early. 4 runs isn't a ton. No one likes to be no-hit.

Not bush, and the "Bush Leagues" are higher up the food chain than high school ball, anyway.

That said, I wouldn't call for the bunt as a coach. My fast kids would have a green light to bunt for a hit with no one on. If they are more confident in bunting than in swinging in that at bat, that's fine by me.
This is similar to how I feel. 5th inning isn't that late in the game. And a 4-run lead isn't insurmountable. Now, 6th inning, 2 outs, down 6 runs... that might be a little closer to "bush league." Basically it becomes "bush league" when there's no other reason the person would bunt other than to break up the no-hitter. If there is any reason at all the player would bunt in the game situation, then no problem at all.
Old 05-16-17, 07:41 AM
All American

Mansfield Buckeye
ask yourself this as a coach. My goal is to help my boys learn to win. I train them, win and lose with them hopefully making them better. I dont care about the other team, I have to live with my boys after the game. Being NO HIT is no fun. WE have to live with that. I can always tell them, "Remember that game where we were being no hit, and we bunted and got things going and scored a few runs? We didnt give up, we kept fighting, well we need that now, you have done this before." That is how a coach turns a bad situation into something that can help him in the future. No hitters are rare for a reason, they are hard. People bunt to break them up and change momentum. Not bunting to give the other pitcher a chance is the Millenial bs we have been fighting for years.
Old 05-16-17, 07:47 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield Buckeye View Post
ask yourself this as a coach. My goal is to help my boys learn to win. I train them, win and lose with them hopefully making them better. I dont care about the other team, I have to live with my boys after the game. Being NO HIT is no fun. WE have to live with that. I can always tell them, "Remember that game where we were being no hit, and we bunted and got things going and scored a few runs? We didnt give up, we kept fighting, well we need that now, you have done this before." That is how a coach turns a bad situation into something that can help him in the future. No hitters are rare for a reason, they are hard. People bunt to break them up and change momentum. Not bunting to give the other pitcher a chance is the Millenial bs we have been fighting for years.
YEP!

You make a person earn a no-hitter. Defend the bunt if you have to.
Old 05-16-17, 08:38 AM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
Great points by all, and I'm totally in the 'legit' camp as well. I get a little frustrated by all the focus on individual achievements when the purpose of playing is to win.

As soon as I heard about this I recalled Bob Brenly getting all butthurt when a backup catcher bunted to break up Curt Schilling's no-no bid. The thing is, Schilling was only up 2-0 in that game, and I couldn't believe Brenly was making such a big deal out of it:

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2011/05/27/...en-davis-bunt/
Old 05-16-17, 09:07 AM
Junior Varsity

J.R. Swish is on a distinguished road
In this scenario probably not "bush league" play. Last inning then for sure it is. If this is tourney game then I feel coach/player should do anything to try to win within the rules of course so bunting anytime is not bush in postseason.
Old 05-16-17, 09:08 AM
All World

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Absolutely legitimate.
Old 05-16-17, 11:14 AM
Varsity

FootballCrazy1 is on a distinguished road
Don't see a problem with bunting at all, get base runners any way you can and try and make something happen. Still plenty of game left in the 5th.

My issue is an earlier comment about a 25 game hitting streak, why would an opposing pitcher even be aware of that? Stats are great after the season, during the season just WIN GAMES!!

Kinda why I think it's dumb to post High School stats for kids when only about 6 teams in Stark County send them in. Wait until season is over.
Old 05-16-17, 12:31 PM
All Ohio

yakyak is on a distinguished road
Legit. A no-no is a team event, not just a pitcher. (even though the pitcher gets most of the press). If a corner falls asleep and is not ready to field a bunt, that is part of the game. If the pitcher forgets that speed is on the plate and gives a pitch that he can easily lay down the line, no-no should not be awarded.
Old 05-16-17, 12:40 PM
All Region

93 red ls is on a distinguished road
1000000000% legit....
props to the young man batting that had the awareness to lay one down....

4-0 is pretty close get a guy or 2 on and hit a gap you are right back in it
Old 05-16-17, 12:49 PM
All American

thehawg27 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

You baseball guys are starting to sound like soccer parents....Good Grief!!!
Old 05-16-17, 02:36 PM
All District

borntopin is on a distinguished road
Not bush league if its high school. Only 7 innings is played so a no hitter is not uncommon especially if its a run ruled shortened game. I once watched an interview with Nolan Ryan (MLB record 7 no hitters) and he said bunting on someone with a no hitter going would cause a huge fight. He would be head hunting that guy the rest of his career.
Old 05-16-17, 03:05 PM
Junior Varsity

SinPista is on a distinguished road
https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...d&action=click

NSFW - language
Old 05-16-17, 05:35 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by borntopin View Post
Not bush league if its high school. Only 7 innings is played so a no hitter is not uncommon especially if its a run ruled shortened game. I once watched an interview with Nolan Ryan (MLB record 7 no hitters) and he said bunting on someone with a no hitter going would cause a huge fight. He would be head hunting that guy the rest of his career.
Believe it!!

Old 05-16-17, 06:08 PM
All Ohio

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by darbydavidsonfan View Post
^^^This

What's the point of even playing the game if you're not trying to win. Got to get some base runners to score. Maybe the bunt hit starts a rally.
^^ This. Losing 4-0, and their pitcher is throwing extremely well. If I'm a coach/player on the losing side, I'm trying to win the game.
I don't care what inning it is, trying to get on base is the way to compete.

If he loses his no-hitter, well that's baseball. What right does the pitcher have that the opposing team is supposed to "lay down" and not use all of the tools at their disposal to get a hit/get on base/win the game?
Old 05-17-17, 08:59 AM
All Ohio

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Absolutely no problem with it.....5th inning and a 4-0 game...I'll take a baserunner any way I can get it.

Perfect example.......Yesterday, NAIA regional.....host team is top 5 in the country...and on a 27 game win streak.

Hosts up 7-2 in the 6 with 2 outs (2 batters, 2 K's) and nobody on for the 3-seed.....starting pitching has 12 K's. 3 straight hits, a couple walks then a Grand Slam....to give the 3-seed a 8-7 lead.......then 9 more in the 8th to win it 17-7, send them to the final, the host to the loser's bracket and basically change the entire scope of the tourney...all started with 2 outs and nobody on.
Old 05-17-17, 08:33 PM
Freshman

ThatRandomGuy is on a distinguished road
Screw the unwritten rule. Play to win, even if it takes a bunt hit
Old 05-19-17, 06:50 AM
All District

#Hashtag is on a distinguished road
Inning & score don't matter. Bunts are fair game. I don't care if the team is 1 out away from a no-no and it's 12-0, bunts are part of the game. Defend it and don't complain.
Old 05-22-17, 11:33 AM
All District

EXPRESS
I've seen low level teams bunt almost every player against great pitchers, and it works. Great strategy and good coaching.
Old 05-22-17, 01:13 PM
All Yappi

I've seen a pizzed off coach already holding a 3 run lead put the bunt-o-rama on a arrogant opposing coach with a lazy catcher just to show him up, too