Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-15-17, 11:48 AM
All Ohio

madman is on a distinguished road
Why are semi-finals in short sprints done first?

Am I missing something? Why are we doing semi-finals for the short sprints before the semi-finals in all the other events?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-17, 12:04 PM
Varsity

galesxc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
Am I missing something? Why are we doing semi-finals for the short sprints before the semi-finals in all the other events?

I believe this schedule has just been revised... restored to the normal "4x8 first" schedule.
Old 05-15-17, 12:11 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Where have you been? CC609 has brought this up many times. This has come from the SW and is now state wide. It really hurts us as our anchor for our 4x800 is also the anchor on our 4x200. Also, all of our 1600 runners are on the 4x800. This is just BS and makes people make decisions that could be very costly. All you do is have a mandatory time between events in case there isn't a need to run the 1600 prelims. This hurts distance heavy squads and gives sprint heavy teams even more of an advantage than they already have.
Old 05-15-17, 12:21 PM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
This was discussed here on Yappi. I thought it was dead, or at least not forced to be all over the state. Then they told us we would be following it in the central. Then they sent out a schedule saying that showed the old (correct) order of events. Earlier today we got an email in the Central saying that we were moving the 4x800 between the 100 and 4x200. Then we got another email saying we were going back to the old (correct) order of events. It is ridiculous to move the 4x800 in any district where kids might have to run a 1600 prelim. Fortunately it looks like (at least for D1 central district) that we won't be doing that.
Old 05-15-17, 12:43 PM
Junior Varsity

ENA2 is on a distinguished road
This year, we are "sprint heavy" team and we have our 100 meter kids used to racing in the 4 x 200 right after the 100. WE DO THIS AT EVERY DUAL, TRI and INVITATIONAL MEET! Why would they cahnge it. This is not only biased for sprint heavy teams, and could hurt distance kids who run the 4 x 8/1600. it also hurts kids who run the 4 x 800 and come back for the semis fo the 400 (if they don't do the 1600 semis..... so it hurts sprinters too.

I wrote a note to Dale Gabor about this as it hurts all excepth the really big (deep) school where kids only do one or a couple events on the track.

I was told that it was set for this year and that it may be changed next year.
Old 05-15-17, 01:15 PM
All District

PCTigerTrackCoach is on a distinguished road
Would it be a horrible idea to run 2 divisions together?
Old 05-15-17, 01:50 PM
All District

CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
This is not state wide. NW is still running the 4x800 first at 5:00 in all the sites I looked at.
Old 05-16-17, 09:43 AM
Varsity

KevinL is on a distinguished road
4x8 is after 100 in Orville (D2 NE). Just announced today AFTER entries were due. Not good for a guy who was choosing between 400 and 800 as his open event, and chose 400.
Old 05-16-17, 10:17 AM
Varsity

KevinL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinL View Post
4x8 is after 100 in Orville (D2 NE). Just announced today AFTER entries were due. Not good for a guy who was choosing between 400 and 800 as his open event, and chose 400.
We received your email. The updated running schedule is the recommended order of events from the OHSAA.
Old 05-16-17, 08:16 PM
All District

XCFan98 is on a distinguished road
Our sport ??

Officials don't know our sport. They don't coach, they don't run, they didn't run. they don't understand and then they make decisions that impact us all. Only 5 teams entered the 4x800 at the Mason District on the girls side. I am sure many of them saw that short break and said we are out. This is bad for OUR SPORT. They should not be able to ruin our sport. The OHSAA and SWDAB are clueless about our sport. They don't listen, they don't change, they don't understand. They will continue to hurt our sport until everyone just decides to do Lacrosse. But, they will have 100 officials at the state meet all with a nice box lunch and new hat and shirt and then complain they they don't make enough money to let assistant coaches or alternates into the meet without paying $10.
Old 05-16-17, 09:03 PM
All Region

fanofrunning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCFan98 View Post
Officials don't know our sport. They don't coach, they don't run, they didn't run. they don't understand and then they make decisions that impact us all. Only 5 teams entered the 4x800 at the Mason District on the girls side. I am sure many of them saw that short break and said we are out. This is bad for OUR SPORT. They should not be able to ruin our sport. The OHSAA and SWDAB are clueless about our sport. They don't listen, they don't change, they don't understand. They will continue to hurt our sport until everyone just decides to do Lacrosse. But, they will have 100 officials at the state meet all with a nice box lunch and new hat and shirt and then complain they they don't make enough money to let assistant coaches or alternates into the meet without paying $10.
The OHSAA made the decision, not the officials who staff the meets. Every official I know (admittedly only a dozen or so) said WTH? to this decision. It just makes no sense. It will be interesting to see if 4x800 times at the state meet achieve historical averages. Seems pretty apparent, at least in SW Ohio, given the entries in the 4x800 at the Mason district meet, that many (most?) coaches don't like this.
Old 05-16-17, 09:46 PM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
At Hilliard Darby we ran the 4x800 in its proper place today, before the 100 hurdle prelims.
Old 05-17-17, 09:18 AM
All District

CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofrunning View Post
The OHSAA made the decision, not the officials who staff the meets. .
Seems it was made by district boards since not all are following the same time schedule.
Old 05-17-17, 11:47 AM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
I am at the fore front of this and likely the reason that Dale Gabor mandated this statewide. This schedule originated in Dayton by Max Benton and likely was persuaded by coaches from places like Dunbar (this is my guess adn may not be true).

I fired off emails to the Boards and to OHSAA about how the schedule was incorrect. It ended up being dicated by Gabor that all districts run the adopted schedule. Gabor even stated in his emails to the district boards that this schedule "mirrored" the schedule at regionals and state.

If he doesnt even know the adopted schedule he needs to step down.
Old 05-24-17, 10:12 AM
Varsity

jktrack is on a distinguished road
I think this schedule is a little bit of a holdover when prelims were run in the high hurdles, 100 and 200 and then semis were run later on in the correct order after the 4x800's (for those of us who can remember running prelims and semis).

I agree that deviating from the regular season schedule makes no sense. I agree with a previous post that if you have someone in the 4x800 and 4x200 it's almost impossible to run those back to back.

Just run a regular schedule leaving out the events that don't need semifinals.
Old 05-24-17, 10:20 AM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Track Fan View Post
This is not state wide. NW is still running the 4x800 first at 5:00 in all the sites I looked at.
yes it was statewide sent from the man himself, Dale. Your district managers either werent paying attention or choose to ignore it.

I hear that there is enough complaining about it that it might go away.
Old 05-24-17, 10:40 AM
All World

SOTT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
yes it was statewide sent from the man himself, Dale. Your district managers either werent paying attention or choose to ignore it.

I hear that there is enough complaining about it that it might go away.
The man himself, Dale, was officiating at our district and we ran the 4x8 first. So no, it wasn't state wide.