Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-09-17, 07:10 PM
Varsity

Big09 is on a distinguished road
STVM Baseball

STVM underachieves again thanks to Anthony Boarman. If the basketball or football coach was that mediocre they would have been fired years ago. He continues to get out coached game after game, and lose to less talented teams. He should consider himself lucky that baseball is a non-money generating sport so no one pays attention to it, and that his father was actually a really good coach.

Last edited by Big09; 05-10-17 at 12:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-17, 09:37 PM
All District

OEBNorthGM is on a distinguished road
Emotions always run high after a tough loss - especially one that ends a season. But I'd slow down asking for Coach Boarman's job. I know you are familiar with the school/program so you know Coach B bleeds green and gold. He's a teacher there, a football coach and a baseball coach. I've come across only a handful of coaches who are as passionate about the kids they coach and the relationships that are built then Anthony. Is he perfect? That's not for us to decide. Any coach in a honest moment will tell you they probably wish they could get a redo in certain moments. Sports and life are full of adversity and I know for a fact that's one of the many life lessons players who play for Coach B learn. Sure it's a tough and disappointing loss but I have no doubt he will find a way to use this as a teaching moment for his players and he too will learn from it and get better. Be careful what you wish for!
Old 05-09-17, 10:31 PM
All District

Red Right 88 is on a distinguished road
When you draw players from throughout a 3-county area, yet still get seeded behind teams like Field and eliminated by teams like Springfield in the first round then the adversity being mentioned above is self-inflicted.

Boarman and Irish baseball are one in the same and they're both irrelevant. If you think otherwise and are hopeful of change, you have quite a bit of frustration ahead of you.

First football game is about 100 days out. Cheer up.
Old 05-10-17, 08:01 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
SVSM is not and never has been a baseball school. The program is not a priority so it does not enjoy the talent advantages of the football and basketball programs. Sure, it gets some decent kids, but not to the extent of Walsh or Hoban.

Boarman's a good guy. His counterparts at other schools like and respect him. He works well with the kids and teaches lessons beyond baseball (which some forget is JUST A GAME). At the end of the day, those are pretty good qualities in a high school coach.
Old 05-10-17, 08:15 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Right 88 View Post
When you draw players from throughout a 3-county area, yet still get seeded behind teams like Field and eliminated by teams like Springfield in the first round then the adversity being mentioned above is self-inflicted.

Boarman and Irish baseball are one in the same and they're both irrelevant. If you think otherwise and are hopeful of change, you have quite a bit of frustration ahead of you.

First football game is about 100 days out. Cheer up.
Baseball at the next level, for 95% of the kids that do play it, is highly contingent upon academic success. Considering that nearby Walsh and Hoban seem to have a stronger emphasis on both baseball and education, the multi-county thing is less pertinent here.

This is baseball. Did you see the game ? The 1 run effort probably had more to do with Springfield's pitcher (and the ump? ) than anything else.
Old 05-10-17, 09:16 AM
Freshman

ksu315 is on a distinguished road
I don't think there is any more emphasis on baseball at hoban than STVM. Hoban does have a field on its property but other than that there isn't much emphasis at all. Everyone knows baseball is a strange game and anything can happen in a one and done scenario.
Old 05-10-17, 09:45 AM
All Yappi

no one told 09, apparently....

Some of the families at Hoban might differ on the "emphasis" thing. Less competition for attention beyond football, at any rate.
Old 05-10-17, 04:13 PM
All District

MERKLE is on a distinguished road
Anthony is a good coach and a very good man. To think he should be let go is foolish. It's always disappointing when a team makes an early exit, but the quality of the schedule St V has played tells me that they're doing what's right.

Secondly, all high schools put football and basketball at the top of their food chain. Even when Hoban baseball went to the state final 4, 2 out of 3 years, all the school wanted was a successful football program. A 1-2 win football program got new turf. The baseball program got zero bags of diamond dry, and kicked their own coach off the field when he tried to fix it up.

For 20+ years, a kid looking to play a particular sport in high school, and was considering one of the privates, had a hierarchy. In baseball it's been Walsh first, Hoban second and St V third.

I don't like, I don't agree with it, but that's the way it is.
Old 05-10-17, 06:23 PM
Varsity

Never said Anthony is not a good man. I don't have a bad word to say about him as a person. I am talking about him as the coach and his teams continue year in, and year out to underachieve and that's on the COACH. 5 college commits according to their web site, 1 being a D1 school and your .500?? If STVM is happy to be average then he's your man. And to say STVM is not a baseball school only proves my point. They were always a baseball power in the 80's & 90's and have continued to decline until now, when no one cares.
Old 05-10-17, 06:47 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERKLE View Post
Anthony is a good coach and a very good man. To think he should be let go is foolish. It's always disappointing when a team makes an early exit, but the quality of the schedule St V has played tells me that they're doing what's right.

Secondly, all high schools put football and basketball at the top of their food chain. Even when Hoban baseball went to the state final 4, 2 out of 3 years, all the school wanted was a successful football program. A 1-2 win football program got new turf. The baseball program got zero bags of diamond dry, and kicked their own coach off the field when he tried to fix it up.

For 20+ years, a kid looking to play a particular sport in high school, and was considering one of the privates, had a hierarchy. In baseball it's been Walsh first, Hoban second and St V third.

I don't like, I don't agree with it, but that's the way it is.
I think the fact that St V's best senior also plays football bears this^ out. Football may have been #1 for him as a rising 8th grader.
Old 05-10-17, 08:01 PM
All District

It's also tough to want to coach one of the privates "non money" sports. I'm sure head coachs make about $2k, and their assistants probably don't make gas money for the season.
Old 05-11-17, 07:48 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big09 View Post
Never said Anthony is not a good man. I don't have a bad word to say about him as a person. I am talking about him as the coach and his teams continue year in, and year out to underachieve and that's on the COACH. 5 college commits according to their web site, 1 being a D1 school and your .500?? If STVM is happy to be average then he's your man. And to say STVM is not a baseball school only proves my point. They were always a baseball power in the 80's & 90's and have continued to decline until now, when no one cares.
Yep, the trophy cases are full from the 80's and 90's SVSM baseball dynasties.
Old 05-11-17, 08:55 AM
All District

KentuckyKlondikeBars is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
STVM underachieves again thanks to Anthony Boarman. If the basketball or football coach was that mediocre they would have been fired years ago. He continues to get out coached game after game, and lose to less talented teams. He should consider himself lucky that baseball is a non-money generating sport so no one pays attention to it, and that his father was actually a really good coach.
Harder to find voucher baseball kids than voucher football/basketball kids
Old 05-11-17, 10:51 AM
Varsity

reggiejackson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Let me first start by saying I have no clue about coach or his program. But I completely agree with this statement in general. If these things about St V baseball are true then why would they not consider making a change. At what point is being a great guy not enough? There are a lot of coaches who get out worked year after year and continue to keep their job. I understand coaching is about more than just trying to win at all costs at the high school level, but winning should still play a big role and I think in many cases it doesn't.
Old 05-11-17, 12:57 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Yep, the trophy cases are full from the 80's and 90's SVSM baseball dynasties.
STVM Baseball history for you clark,
District champs:80,82,84,86,87,88,89,90,91,92,95,99,02 & 16.
Regional champs:86,89,92,95
State champs:86,89
I would say the baseball program was pretty good in the 80s & 90s. No reason not to be competitive like that again, the talent is there.

Last edited by Big09; 05-11-17 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-11-17, 01:50 PM
All District

I agree that St V was exceptional in the 80's and 90's, but I disagree that they have the talent. I think Anthony has done a good job with the talent he's had.

Just my opinion.
Old 05-11-17, 04:08 PM
All American

Irish60 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm not doubting what you say about the STVM website, but my son played baseball there for 4 years and spent two years on the varsity (2014-2015). On the 2014 team, I know there were 5 kids who went on to play baseball in college. Most were D3, but they still had the talent to play at the next level. And others had the opportunity to play, but chose not to, or played in other sports in college. So they have had the talent. And in comparing them to Hoban, I would say they have pretty commensurate talent with that club. My son played with or against a number of them in various summer leagues. So I feel comfortable in assessing the talent levels of those teams. Boarman's teams have done well during the regular season over the past 5-6 seasons, but have not had much luck in the post-season. Some of it you can lay at the coach's feet, sometimes you run into a better team or a pitcher on fire, or sometimes its just baseball. I know the team is frustrated at the lack of post-season success, but that's what happens when you have a round bat and a round ball and are expected to hit it square! The one thing I will say about the program is they have not been able to develop a dominating pitcher. They have had good pitchers, but they have not been able to develop that one true ace. If anything, that's what is holding the team back. Now, is that a coaching issue or a talent issue? I can't say, but I suspect a little of both.
Old 05-11-17, 04:39 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I would say the baseball program was pretty good in the 80s & 90s. No reason not to be competitive like that again, the talent is there.
Very good. I stand corrected.
Old 05-12-17, 09:08 AM
All District

City Slicker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Don't jump dude, it's not worth it.

Question for you.... did you come on an anonymous website forum last year and give Anthony any credit for the District Championship? Or do you just come on to bash him when things don't go well?

(I'll wait for the "they won in spite of him" response.)
Old 05-12-17, 09:17 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Slicker View Post
Don't jump dude, it's not worth it.

Question for you.... did you come on an anonymous website forum last year and give Anthony any credit for the District Championship? Or do you just come on to bash him when things don't go well?

(I'll wait for the "they won in spite of him" response.)
9 years, 1 district....I guess he is a GREAT coach.
Old 05-12-17, 09:37 AM
Varsity

BobbyKnight85 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Big09 sounds like a parent that just couldn't find the strength to follow the 24-hour rule and take his concerns privately to the coach and/or AD. Parents (and other fans) that complain about coaches online, during the games and afterwards to anyone that will listen often end up poisoning the team. Baseball is a unique and humbling sport that teaches lessons that are out of everyone's control. I have a high level of respect and admiration of the STVM baseball program and its staff.
Old 05-12-17, 09:50 AM
Varsity

duckdodgers is on a distinguished road
I normally support Hoban on here, but I have to jump in on this and support Coach Boarman. I have watched a variety of teams in the area over the last 10 years or about, and I have yet to see a juggernaut baseball club at Hoban or St. V. Have there been some good players absolutely, but powerhouses 1-9 in order.....not really. I would even argue that the teams at Hoban that made state appearances were not great teams. Good teams yes, program sustaining teams probably not.

If I recall last years St. V Team wasn't a power, but they made a nice run getting thru Districts. I missed the Coach Boarman love fest thread on here.

Not just Coach Boarman, but I would say this about most Ohio spring baseball coaches, get off their back. the get low pay, mostly poor facilities, and outside of second guessers very few fans or even students coming to the games. They do it for the game and for the kids.
Old 05-12-17, 10:05 AM
All District

OEBNorthGM is on a distinguished road
Last two posts are spot on. Couldn't agree more. What's funny is Big09's son has another year to play for Coach B. Karma will get you every time.
Old 05-12-17, 10:19 AM
All District

City Slicker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
9 years, 1 district....I guess he is a GREAT coach.
I can't imagine how high your blood pressure would be if your son was playing at Walsh.

I think you need to drop your expectations of SVSM's baseball program a little bit.

You are quick to point out 1 district championship in 9 years.... I'll point out to you that, SVSM has won TWO District Championships in the last 18 seasons so maybe AB isn't the only "bad coach" that SVSM has had.
Old 05-12-17, 11:18 AM
All District

First rule as a coach is to always give the players credit when they win and always accept responsibility for a loss. Now we all know that both player and coach are on equal sides of this equation.

I certainly support most of these coaches, as none of them do it for the money.

Duck, I will disagree with you about juggernauts. I think the 2011 hoban team was legit.
Old 05-12-17, 11:58 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Nice history lesson. Thank you. It is a list worthy of the pride you seem to display. Here is a little more recent history, an excerpt from an article dated 12-18-14 -

Quote:
Kaczmar is a 1998 graduate of Walsh Jesuit. In 18 years at the helm of the Warriors, he's compiled a 444-83 record, including a perfect regular season in 2014. Kaczmar has also won eight conference championships, 16 sectional titles, 11 district titles, three regional runner-up finishes, six regional titles, two state runner-up finishes and four state titles.

He was inducted into the Northeast Ohio Baseball Coaches Association Hall of Fame in 2010, named the National Easton Sports Master Coach Award winner in 2011, and was honored as the Division II Coach of the Year in 2007. He has also been named the National Federation of State High School Associations Coach of the Year in 2011.
When did Chris Kaczmar take over Walsh Jesuit's program, in relation to coach Boarman's service ? I'm thinking Coach Kaczmar had a pretty good head start. Walsh was established as the private baseball destination between Cleveland and Akron before the scapegoat for your frustration arrived. Tough hill to climb. That matters, in an area like this and baseball. This isn't football, where raw athletes are taken in, hooked with vouchers out of a crappy school and molded. "Athletically superior" baseball teams are dropping like flies in the first playoff round. Most of the kids that put in the time to be really good at baseball come from good public school districts.

Last edited by cabezadecaballo; 05-12-17 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-12-17, 12:01 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyKnight85 View Post
Big09 sounds like a bit of a tool
fixed that for you
Old 05-12-17, 12:10 PM
Varsity

duckdodgers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERKLE View Post
First rule as a coach is to always give the players credit when they win and always accept responsibility for a loss. Now we all know that both player and coach are on equal sides of this equation.

I certainly support most of these coaches, as none of them do it for the money.

Duck, I will disagree with you about juggernauts. I think the 2011 hoban team was legit.
No problem on the disagree. I have since come out of red fog coach-bashing rage

Any team getting to the final 4 is pretty dang good and can't remember if that is the year or not that they ran into the Defiance machine.
Old 05-12-17, 01:50 PM
All District

2011 Hoban lost on the finals 9-8 vs DeSales. Umpire missed a call on a straight steal of home by the Knights with the game tied 7-7. Tim Rogers from the plain dealer called it the worst call of the tournament. 2013 Hoban lost to Defiance 5-1 in the semis. Hoban out hit Defiance, but just couldn't push a run across.

That Defiance pitcher was Mr Ohio in baseball, went to Kentucky and is now at Kent State. Oddly enough, the Golden Flashes number one pitcher is Eli Kraus. Hoban beat him in the District semis that year, it was his only loss.
Old 05-12-17, 02:10 PM
All Yappi

It seems to me that the solution would be to call 330.253.9113, ask for Athletic Director Willie McGee and direct all concerns to him.

I took a look and SVSM was the 3 seed while Springfield was the 6 seed, with SVSM losing 3-1. That's not the great upset I anticipated from the tone of the complaints.