Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-09-17, 10:55 AM
All Ohio

Jowsepi is on a distinguished road
League meets are gonna be a mess

Lots of league meets are going to be very wet this week. If you have athletes that have state potential, so you sit them out to prevent injury?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-17, 12:09 PM
All Ohio

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Nah, not unless our league opponants agreed to pull some of theirs.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-17, 03:41 PM
All World

said_aouita is on a distinguished road
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowsepi View Post
Lots of league meets are going to be very wet this week. If you have athletes that have state potential, so you sit them out to prevent injury?
How many events to you consider more dangerous because of moisture?
Old 05-09-17, 05:09 PM
All District

starcatcher8 is on a distinguished road
Would a football coach hold out his key players because of inclement weather? I think not! Are we becoming a bunch of wooshes? Geesh, get real!
Old 05-09-17, 05:53 PM
All Ohio

I for one dont like the whole idea of pulling out your best from league meets. When your school commits to joining a league, I believe they commit to competing with these schools, and consequently, the teams, regardless of sport, have an obligation to committing their best to win. And that commiting anything less then ones best really erodes upon that spirit of league competition. Now, I can see pulling top atheletes out of certain events in dual meets where a team is heavily favored. But I do not really like when a team does any more than that.

Old 05-09-17, 06:04 PM
All Ohio

Just out of curiosity, but does wet conditions affect long jump marks? Like if the sand is wet, the impression left in the sand is not as big?

Old 05-09-17, 07:18 PM
All Ohio

madman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
Just out of curiosity, but does wet conditions affect long jump marks? Like if the sand is wet, the impression left in the sand is not as big?

My understanding is that if the pit is properly prepared there is enough moisture in the sand that slumping around the landing should be minimized or at least somewhat consistent. That's a good thing.

It's crazy to me that we measure jumps to 0.25" when the slumping of sand can result in several inches of variation from where initial contact was made. Marking jumps from the bottom of the depression isn't consistent with the rules, but is probably the most consistent measurement given the inconsistency of slumping sand.

Watching the pit preparation at the Olympic Trials versus what happens at almost any high school meet makes you realize that most scholastic marks could hardly be considered "official" even with the most knowledgeable and careful officials assigned to the event.
Old 05-09-17, 07:32 PM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
League meets are gonna be a mess

Almost no one is going to hold kids out of their league meet over rain. Maybe if there is a lot of water and you have a kid coming back from injury that is long jumping or pole vaulting. NOT wanting to start an argument from another thread, but I have no doubt that the reason so many coaches scratched kids from races last Friday night was that league meets were this week and there would not be time to recover from injuries. Most league titles are settled just on what happens at the league or conference meet. That is when you err more on the risk side.

As for wetness affecting the long jump, it's primary affect is to make the board more slippery. That can have a big impact on the number of fouls.
Old 05-09-17, 09:36 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathking View Post
Almost no one is going to hold kids out of their league meet over rain. Maybe if there is a lot of water and you have a kid coming back from injury that is long jumping or pole vaulting. NOT wanting to start an argument from another thread, but I have no doubt that the reason so many coaches scratched kids from races last Friday night was that league meets were this week and there would not be time to recover from injuries. Most league titles are settled just on what happens at the league or conference meet. That is when you err more on the risk side.

As for wetness affecting the long jump, it's primary affect is to make the board more slippery. That can have a big impact on the number of fouls.
In the ptc, league titles are settled by the invitational as well as all the league dual meets.

Old 05-09-17, 09:55 PM
All American

Yeah, I know. There are a few others that do that as well. But in most conferences/leagues it is just that one meet.
Old 05-10-17, 08:11 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
To this point, the whole season has been a mess weatherwise. Why should this weekend be any different?

Just keep you LJ boards, plant box, and throwing rings dry and get on with it (i.e. no standing water in the throwing circles or plant box, and wipe the LJ board after every trial. There are these things called "towels" for these types of situations.)
Old 05-10-17, 08:25 AM
All Ohio

Jowsepi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by said_aouita View Post
How many events to you consider more dangerous because of moisture?
The jumping events
Old 05-10-17, 02:49 PM
All World

said_aouita is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowsepi View Post
The jumping events
I was thinking the throwing events, since they do not wear spikes.
Old 05-11-17, 08:29 AM
All Ohio

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcatcher8 View Post
Would a football coach hold out his key players because of inclement weather? I think not! Are we becoming a bunch of wooshes? Geesh, get real!
Are you kidding me?

Have you watched the NFL or NCAA football the last decade?

NFL sits players the last 2 weeks. Leonard Furnette from LSU did not play in the bowl game. This is a trending issue now. Expect more and more players not to play in bowl games.

Pro bowl no one plays due to the risk of injury.

Wake up!!
Old 05-11-17, 01:55 PM
All Region

PCTigerTrackCoach is on a distinguished road
Temperature is the only way I'd pull my sprinters..... I think you tow a fine line if its close to freezing and you're trying to keep a sprinter warm unless it's districts or beyond, I believe certain precautions should be taken with athletes who have a shot to make or win the state meet
Old 05-11-17, 07:36 PM
All Ohio

Im young but ive not seen any league invitational where cold is an issue. I mean, its kinda into may now. And its not like the meets are held at 5:30 in the morning.

Old 05-11-17, 08:58 PM
All Region

PCTigerTrackCoach is on a distinguished road
It was May last Friday and at 6pm.it was raining and cold, we live in Ohio lol it being May means absolutely nothing lol
Old 05-11-17, 09:34 PM
All American

I have coaches at league and district meets in the 30s with rain. In those situations we do with sprinters the same thing we do with distance runners when it is really hot. Try to limit the number of times they compete and look at not screwing up their post season chances.
Old 05-11-17, 11:02 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Im young but ive not seen any league invitational where cold is an issue. I mean, its kinda into may now. And its not like the meets are held at 5:30 in the morning.

If memory serves, I was at the DIII session of state prelims in 2012. It was mid-50s at best and raining steadily. I remember watching my team's 4x200 runners splashing through the puddles of standing water as they ran that race. The clouds never broke as I stayed through at least the DII 4x800, I was horribly underdressed in shorts, a polo shirt, and an undershirt, and I drank an entire 4-cup pot of coffee when I got back to the hotel since I had no better idea on how to get warm again. I don't even like coffee. That day was as bad as any 30 degree dry day I ever experienced at the track, and it was freakin' June!
Old 05-12-17, 10:48 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
If memory serves, I was at the DIII session of state prelims in 2012. It was mid-50s at best and raining steadily. I remember watching my team's 4x200 runners splashing through the puddles of standing water as they ran that race. The clouds never broke as I stayed through at least the DII 4x800, I was horribly underdressed in shorts, a polo shirt, and an undershirt, and I drank an entire 4-cup pot of coffee when I got back to the hotel since I had no better idea on how to get warm again. I don't even like coffee. That day was as bad as any 30 degree dry day I ever experienced at the track, and it was freakin' June!
That year was awful on prelim day. Even though it was "only" in the 50s, everyone had physiologically adjusted for warmer temps. So 52 with wind and rain was pretty nasty. I still think it played a role in our star sprinter (who was in the 100, 200, 4x100 and 4x200) having a sub par day on Saturday. I was thankful for my good rain jacket and wool socks.
Old 05-12-17, 11:18 AM
All Ohio

This year, it seems like its been cooler and rainier through much of the season, so 50's and rain, shouldn't bother too many people. The real thing that's gonna bother people, is the fact that the forecast for next Wednesday, when I think many d1 districts hold their prelims, the temperature is gonna be almost 90 degrees. That's gonna be the killer for people this season, not cool and rainy weather.
Old 05-12-17, 12:33 PM
All American

Yeah but the hot weather will largely be killer for the distance kids. Our predicted mid 80s temps for Tue and Thu are making our sprinters and field kids happy. For the distance kids multiple races may be cut down.
Old 05-12-17, 12:58 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathking View Post
Yeah but the hot weather will largely be killer for the distance kids. Our predicted mid 80s temps for Tue and Thu are making our sprinters and field kids happy. For the distance kids multiple races may be cut down.
Yeah, us here at Coventry should be happy about this weather too. But we do have a distance kid who ran a 10:10 last week, and in looking at past regional times, he is just a decent pr or two from perhaps being able to qualify to states. Coventry has been enjoying itself in qualifying sprinters and jumpers to states, but it would be really awesome, and send our rivals a strong message, if we are getting distance kids to states as well.
Old 05-12-17, 01:35 PM
All American

Well the heat can be an advantage if a kid is running the 3200 fresh and others are not.
Old 05-12-17, 03:21 PM
All Ohio

Heat can also be an advantage if a kid has experience running in the heat, although it is debateable how advantageous that could be if last September was the last time a kid ran in this sort of heat.

Old 05-12-17, 09:38 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Coventry; It is STATE!!!
Old 05-13-17, 06:25 PM
All Ohio

Altor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, but does wet conditions affect long jump marks?
The complaint I hear from the athletes is that the board is slippery and they don't feel they can plant firmly in the rain. Last Saturday, the two girls that went 1-2 apparently didn't even put a toe on the board. They won the event by jumping off the runway.
Old 05-13-17, 06:44 PM
All Yappi

At the end of the weekend, how bad was the weather really?

In my neck of the woods, it was a bit chilly but tolerable and dry on Friday, and Saturday was arguably the nicest day of meet weather that we had all season -
dry and warm enough to please the sprinters but not too hot to upset the distance crowd.
Old 05-14-17, 03:16 PM
All Region

peebles is on a distinguished road
Weather was cool but tolerable and dry at the NBC meet. It also seems that the participants found it to their liking. Athletes dropped below the previous event records eleven times. Most were in the distance events, but a record was also set in the girls 400 and girls shot. Three runners shattered the previous record in the boys 3200.
Old 05-14-17, 07:10 PM
All American

We hosted the OCC Capital, Cardinal and Central divisions. The weather was very nice. Particularly on Saturday. Very mild tail wins, so a lot of good sprint times. It was a little warm on Saturday, and some of the distance runners running multiple races were worn out, but otherwise there were a great many meet and conference record performances. Even what would have been a state record were there an official wind gauge.