Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-09-17, 10:45 AM
All Ohio

madman is on a distinguished road
Parent Involvement in Recruiting Process

I don't know the author and there are a wide variety of opinions regarding him (just like there are for most of us), but I think this article has some valuable insights:

http://www.milesplit.com/articles/21...uiting-process
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-17, 11:55 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
Having gone through the recruiting process with three kids (not Track/CC), some of this info is spot on. The biggest being- aim right. I would think this is especially true with sports like track and cross country (swimming, too) that are not subjective (the best point guard, tight end, e.g.), but rather measurable and comparable. Find the schools stat sheet and compare your kids times, you will know if they would be a fit or not. Fit is truly everything, better to be at a D3 school that you can truly be a part of the team, than to be at the bottom of the barrel at a "reach" school just because it is a higher division or more prestigious.

Other advice- start an email account that you and kid can access that is used solely for college. You can make sure your kid is following up with any coach responses.

Everything is negotiable- even scholarships. It's a numbers game and often athletes of "minor" sports have a mix of athletic and academic $, don't accept the first offer from a school if you think you can get more. Nothing to lose by asking, just know when to stop pushing back.
Old 05-15-17, 02:59 PM
All Region

LoveCrossCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
I don't know the author and there are a wide variety of opinions regarding him (just like there are for most of us), but I think this article has some valuable insights:

http://www.milesplit.com/articles/21...uiting-process
I read that earlier and also thought he had good advice.