Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-30-17, 05:26 PM
Varsity

southernman is on a distinguished road
Mason Rod Russell Invitational

How is the distance races shaping up?

Who is expected to attend?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-17, 11:19 AM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
Heat Sheet
Old 05-05-17, 02:56 PM
Ron Jeremey Stunt Double

skins99 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to skins99
A lot of talent in the miles mile this year.
Old 05-06-17, 06:26 AM
All Region

fanofrunning is on a distinguished road
I got to see the boys mile. Horter and Johnson engaged in a spirited duel as they separated themselves from the field. Johnson edged by for the lead with 300 to go, but Horter showed a very good finishing kick to win 4:14.5 to Johnson's 4:17.59. Horter came back later in the evening to win the 3200 in 9:12.04. The young man had a heckuva evening on a night where very few saw it due to the miserable weather. It will be interesting to see if he plans on doubling in the state tournament.
Old 05-06-17, 07:33 AM
All American

Did the 200, 4x4, & pole vault get canceled?
Old 05-06-17, 12:47 PM
Varsity

southernman is on a distinguished road
I see they are missing from the results. Does not make sense you have 3200 results and don't have 200 results
Old 05-06-17, 05:42 PM
All Region

Finishtiming is on a distinguished road
Due to the weather they decided to not run the 200 and 4x400. Distance runners are tougher than sprinters and can handle the cold and rain.
Old 05-06-17, 05:57 PM
All Region

fanofrunning is on a distinguished road
Yes, the pole vault was cancelled also.
Old 05-06-17, 08:41 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernman View Post
I see they are missing from the results. Does not make sense you have 3200 results and don't have 200 results
It makes sense if the 3200 was contested at a different point in the meet. Some meets will run the boys 3200 during prelims, or they will at least run the slower heats during prelims, so nobody has to watch 4 consecutive heats of the 3200.
Old 05-07-17, 09:55 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finishtiming View Post
Due to the weather they decided to not run the 200 and 4x400. Distance runners are tougher than sprinters and can handle the cold and rain.
Likely a safety issue on a very wet surface don't you think?
Old 05-08-17, 12:10 AM
All Ohio

madman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post
Likely a safety issue on a very wet surface don't you think?
No.
Old 05-08-17, 11:09 AM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
Much as I would like to say, as a distance runner, that distance runners are tougher, that really isn't the case here. This is more of a risk/reward situation. A distance runner's risk of injury probably does not increase, certainly not very much, running in weather like we had on Friday. The lower temperatures are actually an asset. Top sprinters, on the other hand, are at greatly increased risk of injury. Hurdlers even more so. We scratched quite a few of our sprinters from the second half of our meet (300H, 200, 4x400) because we didn't want to risk injury at this point in the season. When it is 95 with 90 percent humidity how many people say that the sprinters are tougher because they still run multiple events while the wimpy distance runners don't?
Old 05-08-17, 01:32 PM
All Ohio

madman is on a distinguished road
If sprinting in cold weather were really a problem, the NFL wouldn't have Nov/Dec/Jan games.

Is cold weather more detrimental to performance for sprinters than distance runners? No argument from me on this point. Is hot weather more detrimental to distance runners? Again, no argument from me.

This particular circumstance seems to be driven by multiple factors, not the least of which were the length of the meet and the belief among coaches of little marginal benefit from running the rest of the races. I don't have an issue with making such decisions.

I do have an issue with people saying you can't safely sprint on a wet track or when it's cold. That just isn't true.

If it's rainy and cold at regionals your sprinters better be ready to perform at their best, just like if it's brutally hot your distance runners better be ready to perform at their best.
Old 05-08-17, 06:44 PM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
Madman, cold weather is absolutely a problem. It is one of the reasons there are more injuries in the NFL when it is really cold. The same thing is true for soccer. (Caveat, the injury rate data is from the 1980s, when I was in college.) Been through physiology classes and track and field school where the instructors talked about the reasons why and showed the research behind the science. The track and field school stuff was a couple of decades more recent.

Yes you can run in the cold. When you are pressing up against your maximal effort in cold weather there is a substantial increase in the risk of injury. Muscle strains and tears are more likely when it is cold. Yes it is still the case that most athletes will be able to go all out and still not get hurt. The athletes who are the strongest are also the athletes at the most risk. On a related note, cold weather is particularly bad for any athletes who have had reconstructive surgery on a joint. (Believe me when I tell you I pay close attention to that.) Also, weather like last Friday's has a significantly different effect now than it would have two months ago, because we have all been adapting to the warmer weather.

Yes, sprinters do sometimes I have to perform in rainy or cold weather late in the season. But there is a vastly different risk analysis to be performed for an invitational in the regular season the a post season meet. In the post season we will make sure that athletes take extended warm ups and are as ready as they can be. We will point out that everyone is competing in the same weather. At the invitational we are much more likely to say run your race or two and shut it down rather than try to add two or three more cycles of warming up, competing and cooling down. Even in the post season I have altered lineups due to weather, both cold and warm. If it is extremely warm do you just tell your distance kids to suck it up and double or triple like they would if it were 55 degrees?

It is fine to make a different choice on the risk-reward spectrum. Not everyone has the same set of incentives and the same risk tolerance. My point was that calling distance runners tougher because they compete harder in the cold isn't any more fair than saying sprinters are tougher than distance runners because they are more likely to run multiple events or get personal best times when it is really hot.
Old 05-08-17, 08:03 PM
All District

billcarson is on a distinguished road
Many of the worlds best sprinters ran in the cold rain at the Drake relays this past Saturday. A couple of them ran 2017 worlds best times, I think they were
in the hurdles. This was a meet with nothing to gain for them, but they were out there
Old 05-09-17, 06:41 AM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
I was thinking traction is the bigger issue for sprinters on a wet track. Also for pole vaulting in the rain doesn't seem as safe.
Old 05-09-17, 08:05 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post
I was thinking traction is the bigger issue for sprinters on a wet track. Also for pole vaulting in the rain doesn't seem as safe.
They wear spikes. I don't think traction is an issue.

A bigger danger for vaulters is probably the wind. There were some strong gusts of wind this past Friday night.