Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-24-17, 03:04 PM
All Ohio

CoventryTrackXCguy is on a distinguished road
Track Week 5/6 Hub: Meet Previews, Predictions, Results.

It is now nearing the end of April. Many of us are onto our last couple of weeks of dual meets, and are beginning to look ahead to league meets as well as post season. So where is everybody at these next couple of weeks?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-17, 03:09 PM
All Ohio

Last Saturday, My comets where at East Palestine relays. We placed 4th overall, and we are starting to demonstrate some tangible improvement since the start of this season, particularly in the 200's. Ty Porter is back, Treon Sibley is back, although he is still not cleared for the high jump just yet. Progress is being made. Of interest for some of you guys: Coventry's 4 by 100 lost to CVCA. Coventry ran a 43.9x, and CVCA ran a 43.7x. This marks the first race of the season where we bring everybody back from our state qualifying 4 by 100 last season.

This Friday, we will be making another long road trip to Tusky Valley for their Invitational.

Next Thursday, the Coventry 4 by 100 will get to test their mettle against SVSM, at the Tallmadge T-Conn relays. I'm looking forward to it...
Old 04-24-17, 09:20 PM
All Region

peebles is on a distinguished road
Coventry: Looks like your guys are starting to pick it up with everybody back in competition. Good luck against the SVSM machine. The Quakers also had some good performances at East Palestine, with the 4x4 topping it off by breaking the record that they set last year (3:26.17). Salem has a dual vs Alliance tomorrow, and then the highly competitive Cogan Invite on Friday at Carrollton. With Louisville replacing St Clairsville and state power Aquinas at the Cogan, it should be a great test for all teams to find out exactly where they are competitively at this point in the season. It will also be a great warm-up for the County next week and the NBC League meet the week after. The Quakers also have a dual against their arch-rivals West Branch thrown into the mix.
Old 04-25-17, 05:41 AM
All Ohio

Has Salem faced Poland Seminary yet this year? What are they like, in particular in the 4 by 100's?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-17, 10:09 AM
All Region

Haven't faced Poland to any extent this season. From results that I have seen, they are not as strong as last year when they won the 4x1 at State and were runner-up in the 4x2. They lost three seniors from those relays. The Poland Invite is this Saturday and you can check the results from that meet. Your Comets may have the edge on them this year.
Old 04-28-17, 10:22 PM
All Ohio

Coventry captures the Tusky Valley crown again this year for the 3rd year straight. Due to the rain, the meet ended after the 2 mile. No 4 by 400. We are finally starting to pick up some momentum. Still short of where we were last year, but tremendous progress has been made in restoring our former glory. Hopefully we can carry this momentum into Tallmadge next week against SVSM, then PTC's (Woodridge, we're coming for you. Round two, lets do this). And lets hope we can build on this momentum to carry us through post season.

Old 04-29-17, 12:05 PM
All American

cvctrackfan is on a distinguished road
Poland Meet canceled after prelims
Old 04-29-17, 01:24 PM
All Ohio

Thats actually kind of dissapointing about Poland. That meet always gives a little snapshot of whats happening in the region in d2, as we approach the post season.

Old 04-29-17, 01:25 PM
All Ohio

Do you think these cancellations are hurting a lot of teams?

Old 04-29-17, 05:14 PM
All Region

I was disappointed that the 4x4 did not go at the Cogan. However, Salem's top 200 sprinter did not run in any events and he is a vital cog in the 4x4. Two other sprinters have recently been conspicuously absent. So they may not have brought their top team to begin with. This will probably hurt some teams because there are now limited meets in which they can run together. A bright spot for Salem was Mary Double who set the record (16-01.5) in the long jump. NBC Conference boys teams finished 2nd through 5th. A good preview of the upcoming league meet. Should be a barn burner!

Last edited by peebles; 05-02-17 at 11:51 AM..
Old 05-02-17, 11:49 AM
All Region

Salem is hosting the Columbiana County Meet today. They would be considered overwhelming favorites but have been slowed by injuries. Their three top sprinters have seen limited or no duty, as have two of the top 400 guys who are core pieces in the 4x4 and of course the open 400. Fortunately, the distance crew is stronger than they have been in many years, and some young and less experienced sprinters have taken up the baton for the relays and performed admirably. The Quakers top hurdler from last year is finally getting back into the mix after being out early in the season and should be a factor in both races. Hopefully all the athletes can get back into prime condition for the very tough NBC league meet and the district. The girls are considered one of the favorites for the title but will find themselves in a dogfight for the top. Also, we'll have to see how the wind and cooler temps affect performances. It's a shame that the weather has negatively influenced the sport in recent days.

Last edited by peebles; 05-02-17 at 12:03 PM..
Old 05-05-17, 10:56 AM
All American

Gardens35 is on a distinguished road
Austintown Optimist is tomorrow starting at 9am. The Youngstown Vindicator usually has solid coverage in the Sunday edition. www.vindy.com
Old 05-09-17, 10:04 PM
All Region

Northeastern Buckeye meet this Friday; should be a duel between the Louisville and Salem boys. Louisville is very strong in the distances and Salem has depth in the sprints. This one could be decided by the 4x4 if both teams are at full strength.
Old 05-11-17, 06:52 AM
All Ohio

Ptc Metro meet is this week as well. Prelims were yesterday, Finals will be on Friday. Woodridge is favored (again) But Coventry, Streetsboro, and Norton all possess a lot of talent. This meet will be very competitive.

Yesterday, Coventry took 1st in Shot Put. Coventry also took 1st in the long jump, with Dusty Burkhart jumping 21 feet. Sophomore Austin Hinzman took 6th in the long jump. We also took third in the 4 by 800. Yesterday went fairly well for Coventry. Woodridge is still favorite, but Coventry's chances of pulling off the upset are higher than they were 24 hours ago. The key to Coventry pulling off the upset is Brad Holmgren, who ran a 4:38 mile, and a 10:10 2 mile. If he can limit Woodridge's point margins in the distance events, Coventry surely could pull off the upset.
Old 05-12-17, 10:13 PM
All Ohio

Woodridge won the league. Coventry fought valiently, but it did not have quite enough to bring down woodridge or streetsboro. The good news is that Coventry returns a lot and with a healthy group of underclassmen, the team shall surely strengthen in coming seasons. Now lets see what we can do postseason.

Old 05-12-17, 10:14 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Woodridge won again. Boys and girls. The boys did not have a particularly good day, and left a lot of points out there to e had. Streetsboro and Coventry have to be kicking themselves as it was there for the taking. I had Woodridge scoring 140 points, Coventry 122 and Boro 118 on paper going into the finals. The final score was Woodridge 124, Boro 109 and Coventry 101.

The girls came down to the 4x400 between Woodridge and Cloverleaf. Woodridge won it and Cloverleaf was 3rd. So Woody won the girls 138 to 135.

All is right in the world as Woodridge won and we can all sleep a little better tonight with that warm wonderful peaceful feeling.
Old 05-12-17, 10:35 PM
All Ohio

It was a good night for many of us on times. Our biggest dissappointments were in the 4 by 200, and the 1600. Our lead distance runner may have been gassed there, as he did perform in the 3200, which was actully the first event ran that day. But elsewhere, most of ours performed well. Nonetheless, I think a big priority for us in the upcoming months will be to figure out how we reclaim our former glory in the 400s. I miss those days when Zack Lake tore up the league in the 400s. And the rest of my class assisted. Those were the days...

Old 05-12-17, 11:04 PM
All District

Tartan78 is on a distinguished road
The men's 1600 at NBC league was the most exciting mile I have ever seen. Top 3 topped the previous league record. Congrats to Cole Lovett from Carrollton running a 4:14.69. Noah Chaplick, Louisville ran 4:15.16 and Nick Chaplick ran 4:17.32! Great Race!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-17, 08:55 AM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
It was a good night for many of us on times. Our biggest dissappointments were in the 4 by 200, and the 1600. Our lead distance runner may have been gassed there, as he did perform in the 3200, which was actully the first event ran that day. But elsewhere, most of ours performed well. Nonetheless, I think a big priority for us in the upcoming months will be to figure out how we reclaim our former glory in the 400s. I miss those days when Zack Lake tore up the league in the 400s. And the rest of my class assisted. Those were the days...
Your Distance guy was up against All-Ohio runners. He can't be expected to score more than he did. The problem is your second distance runner could not do better. Have to develop depth. He actually did his job in the 3200 by pressing the 2 Woodridge runners so they had trouble coming back in the 1600. That's where you need depth to pick off those points Woodridge left out there for the taking in the 1600. You really did not do as well as you could have in the throws. Hurdles and 400 hurt you. Especially when Woodridge's #2 hurdler pulled up in the prelims of the 110's. Woodridge had to go to a 3rd hurdler in the 300's and he scored. It's not all about getting the big points, but those small points in every event. Like in the 200. Against Woodridge, you need 3 or 4 distance kids. One doesn't cut it.

There is always next year.

So, you really want to go back to the days when you did not win league titles either? Fine by me.
Old 05-13-17, 10:45 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
Your Distance guy was up against All-Ohio runners. He can't be expected to score more than he did. The problem is your second distance runner could not do better. Have to develop depth. He actually did his job in the 3200 by pressing the 2 Woodridge runners so they had trouble coming back in the 1600. That's where you need depth to pick off those points Woodridge left out there for the taking in the 1600. You really did not do as well as you could have in the throws. Hurdles and 400 hurt you. Especially when Woodridge's #2 hurdler pulled up in the prelims of the 110's. Woodridge had to go to a 3rd hurdler in the 300's and he scored. It's not all about getting the big points, but those small points in every event. Like in the 200. Against Woodridge, you need 3 or 4 distance kids. One doesn't cut it.

There is always next year.

So, you really want to go back to the days when you did not win league titles either? Fine by me.
Yeah, but we were down ths year big time in the hurdles. Tremayne graduated, and we had absolutely had noone lined up to replace him. We had Hinzman get in the 43s but for whatever reason he did not run hurdles this meet. We had another freshman steadily improve in 110, but to expect him to get into the 15s to do some real damage was too much to ask for. As for the 400's, they got pommeled with graduation losses, our 400s pretty much had to be rebuilt entirely from scratch. Fortunately many of those guys are young, and return.

As for our distance squad, its fate going forward is intertwined with that of the cross country team. I will see what can be done there this fall.

As for the team of Zack Lake, give us credit, we did come 12 points shy of capturing the league crown that year of 2015. We were close, but we couldnt knock off Field.

Last edited by CoventryTrackXCguy; 05-13-17 at 11:18 AM..
Old 05-13-17, 10:50 AM
All Ohio

Regardless, I think this league has gotten a lot more competitive this year. Well see if the post season proves me right.

Old 05-13-17, 01:08 PM
Varsity

CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartan78 View Post
The men's 1600 at NBC league was the most exciting mile I have ever seen. Top 3 topped the previous league record. Congrats to Cole Lovett from Carrollton running a 4:14.69. Noah Chaplick, Louisville ran 4:15.16 and Nick Chaplick ran 4:17.32! Great Race!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That would have been an awsome race to watch. Love seeing top end runner have to push themselves to their limits.
Old 05-13-17, 05:49 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Track Fan View Post
That would have been an awesome race to watch. Love seeing top end runner have to push themselves to their limits.
The NBC has been churning out some good distance runners for years. The other events can be hit or miss at times, but the distance events always seems to be good in that league.
Old 05-13-17, 10:20 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
The NBC has been churning out some good distance runners for years. The other events can be hit or miss at times, but the distance events always seems to be good in that league.
But will that change? Cause the rest of these schools are showing Louisville the door.

Old 05-13-17, 10:51 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
But will that change? Cause the rest of these schools are showing Louisville the door.

Louisville's absence will hurt, but 6 of the 7 other NBC members will still produce talented runners. Carrollton has a good program built up from the junior high level. Louisville's program was built that way. The other programs are more cyclical, but there is always 1 or 2 that has something good to offer like Marlington and Minerva. Salem is rebounding at the middle distances. Alliance has potential. Even West Branch has had its moments. Canton South is the one that seems to have the most work to do in the distance events. I'm not sure if they've had a really good runner since I was in HS (Eric Bair, IIRC). South Range will be the 8th member of the new league. If there's any talent on that team, their coaches will put it to good use.
Old 05-14-17, 11:39 AM
All Region

NBC meet went to Louisville thanks to their awesome depth in the distances and overall depth in all events. Alliance finished an impressive second (I didn't see that coming!) and Salem was third. Salem finished 12 points out of first place thanks to the fact that they were not at full strength due to injuries; it really hurt them in the relays. I still think that the NBC title would have been determined by the 4x4 if Salem was at full strength. Louisville broke the 4x4 record set by Salem last year by a few tenths; Salem could only manage a 3:30 with key members of the team out for the relay. Regardless, it was an excellent meet with many record performances and cooperative weather for the most part. I just wish the battle would have come down to the final race. Now it is on to the District with the hope that everybody will be in good health!
Old 05-14-17, 09:12 PM
All Ohio

Yes, Salem districts here we come.

Old 05-15-17, 09:40 AM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
There were a lot of good performances from league meets this past weekend. A few that stood out to me:

The OCC had good sprint performances across the board. It's the best conference in the state for sprinting. The Lincoln, Pick Central, and Reynoldsburg boys are outstanding. Lincoln boys went 1:26.96 in the 4x2. There were a bunch of other fine relay and individual performances.

Some individuals (track) that stood out:

Coffman's Abby Steiner won the 100 at 11.54 (11.68 in prelims), and the 200 at 23.99 (23.98 prelims).

Pick Central's Jaydan Wood went 55.05 in the 400.

Davidon's India Johnson and Coffman's Lucas Bons took first in the 800, 1600, and 3200 for the girls and boys respectively.

Orange sophomore Allison Guagenti took the 800 in 2:16.64 & the 1600 in 4:58.73. She was runner up in the 3200 at 11:32.96.

Lincoln girls went 9:19.12 in the 4x8 while the TWHS boys went 7:51.72.

In the ECC (Cincinnati) Turpin sophomore Sam Bush ran a 4:51.73 and a 10:43.01 to take the girls 1600 & 3200 titles. Runner up in both events, Hannah Rasmussen of Kings, also ran strongly with a 4:52.73 and a 10:48.79.

Also in Cincinnati, in the CHL championships, Indian Hill sophomore Anna Podojil captured the 100, 200, and 400 titles with times of 12.15, 24.86, and 57.63. As is the case with Coffman's Abby Steiner, Anna is a good soccer player and will be playing collegiately at Arkansas (Steiner at Kentucky).

Another conference in Cincinnati, the GMC, also held championships this past weekend.

Mason frosh Maddie Ullom went 57.41 in the 400.
East's Dustin Horter took the 800 in 1:54.56 and the 1600 in 4:07.52.

Feel free to add to the list and add any strong jumping or throwing performances as well.
Old 05-15-17, 10:32 AM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
Gia Napolean of Thomas Worthington ran 4:55.97 in the 1600.
Old 05-15-17, 02:17 PM
All Region

LoveCrossCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathking View Post
Gia Napolean of Thomas Worthington ran 4:55.97 in the 1600.
Oh yeah, this was really cool to watch. She is amazing.

Props to Lucas Bons for winning a very hard triple in your OCC division - 1600, 800, 3200.