Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-24-17, 01:17 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
‘But It’s Tradition!’ Is No Reason To Ban Tie Games In MLB

Quote:
As you may have heard, MLB Commissioner Rob Manfeld is trying to shorten the length of baseball games. He ushered in an (asinine) new intentional walk rule this season, and the minor leagues are testing an absurd rule that places a runner on second base to start every extra inning. Now, ESPN lead baseball announcer Jon Sciambi and New York Post baseball columnist Joel Sherman have another proposal for the commish: That games tied after the 12th inning should end that way.

Both Scambi and Sherman worried the suggestion would make them look like heretics against baseball tradition, and — given my distaste for Manfred’s other tweaks — you might expect me to share in that opinion. (Fox Sports’s Ken Rosenthal certainly seems to.) Here’s the thing, though: it’s not antitradition to be in favor of ties. They happened all the time during baseball’s glorious early days.
Read more:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-games-in-mlb/
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-17, 01:25 PM
All Ohio

Taco MacArthur is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd be 100% on board with having ties, especially over having a runner on 2nd to start extra innings. I like this idea and agree with the thread title.
Old 04-24-17, 03:11 PM
All American

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
I'd be 100% on board with having ties, especially over having a runner on 2nd to start extra innings. I like this idea and agree with the thread title.
I can only guess you like soccer and hockey? I would do anything to not have ties. It makes no sense to have ties. How many games go more than 12-13 innings anyway. Also, is it not up to the managers to always have a "long" man in the pen in case of a long extra inning game. Also, most major league teams have an easy way of bringing up fresh arms daily, so if you run a guy out here for 6-7 innings in relief, just call up a fresh arm the next day to fill that spot.
Old 04-24-17, 03:21 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
What percentage of games go past the twelfth inning? 5-8%? Again, this is Manfred trying to toy with a fairly minor issue while totally ignoring the dead-time between pitches. With that said I don't really have a problem with this proposal. It's just not really going to fix all that much.
Old 04-25-17, 06:44 AM
All Ohio

Taco MacArthur is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
I can only guess you like soccer and hockey? I would do anything to not have ties. It makes no sense to have ties. How many games go more than 12-13 innings anyway. Also, is it not up to the managers to always have a "long" man in the pen in case of a long extra inning game. Also, most major league teams have an easy way of bringing up fresh arms daily, so if you run a guy out here for 6-7 innings in relief, just call up a fresh arm the next day to fill that spot.
Yeah. I'm also a fan of the NFL. I can only guess you don't like soccer, hockey and football?

I guess you're a fan of bastardizing a sport by automatically putting a runner on 2nd base? Why am I asking? It's a dumb idea so of course you're a fan of it.
Old 04-25-17, 08:52 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Go to two strikes (most players take the first one anyway) for a strikeout. Or, give the batter one strike to begin with. And, three balls = a walk. Two outs per inning instead of three.

Ties would be okay with me if they want to keep piddling around. Or, just leave the game alone! The middle innings were meant for naps, anyway.
Old 05-09-17, 07:08 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Absolutely freaking ed to have ties in baseball or to do what softball does with a runner at second base.

I am not a fan of the hockey shootout but to keep playing during the regular season isn't really feasible and it is much better than having a tie.

As a consumer, either in attendance or spending time on TV, I wholeheartedly want a team to win, and a team to lose, when I attend or spend my time watching.

A tie?

Absolutennot acceptable.

It is bad enough that the NFL has a tie every so often. Was at the Falcons/steelers tie a number of years ago and the feeling you get it just total blah in investing that much and nothing comes out of it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: