Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-04-17, 08:54 AM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
JH state honor roll

Does anyone know where to find the qualifying times for JH state?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-17, 08:58 PM
All District

Jaws31 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
Does anyone know where to find the qualifying times for JH state?
Baumspage has all the info you would need.
Old 04-04-17, 11:00 PM
All Ohio

CoventryTrackXCguy is on a distinguished road
Yes. Baumspage is your friend.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-17, 06:25 AM
All World

The more I get involved in this the worse job I feel the ohsaa is doing.first off you have one big division. "Hey let's host a state wise JH championship but only do one division.". Then there is the $10 per athlete fee. Well that doesn't seem like something a non profit organization should be doing. Then the honor roll. FAT times are mandatory but not taking field events from meets that aren't FAT times. Really? I have 3 kids easily in this thing but their marks were at a FAT meet. We have home quads with officials at each event. Went to a invite that was timed FAT and Uncle Riko was running long jump. Do you think they will check that meet for registered officials?

Then the time schedule. 11am for field and 2pm for running. Really? 3 hours for a meet with only 16 kids in an event?
Old 04-18-17, 08:47 AM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Come on cc609...think of how lopsided it would be for field events if every mark from every meet could be used and running events had to be FAT. There would be 10 times the marks eligible. Add to that the 3 to four attempts per meet for a field events and it's just unfair.

The entire thing is a bad idea. Let MS kids do all sorts of events and learn. Now more coaches will lock kids into events even more than they are now. Sacrifice technique for quicker results in skill events even more. I think it's dumb.
Old 04-18-17, 10:59 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
Come on cc609...think of how lopsided it would be for field events if every mark from every meet could be used and running events had to be FAT. There would be 10 times the marks eligible. Add to that the 3 to four attempts per meet for a field events and it's just unfair.

The entire thing is a bad idea. Let MS kids do all sorts of events and learn. Now more coaches will lock kids into events even more than they are now. Sacrifice technique for quicker results in skill events even more. I think it's dumb.
The point is that if you have a great field Mark you can't even apply to get it in. Non FAT meets are at a disadvantage now. What about conference meets for JH where there is no availability for FAT?

Like I said...rules were set for convienence...not for the kids.
Old 04-18-17, 12:35 PM
All Region

Finishtiming is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The point is that if you have a great field Mark you can't even apply to get it in. Non FAT meets are at a disadvantage now. What about conference meets for JH where there is no availability for FAT?

Like I said...rules were set for convienence...not for the kids.
What about the Ms conference meets that are actually on the day of the meet? I have 2 conference meets that day to time.
Old 04-20-17, 01:44 PM
All District

Jaws31 is on a distinguished road
Very little forethought went into this whole thing it seems. It should have been run no differently than high school. If not districts then at least regions to qualify to states. Divisions should of been a must. The way this is set up 90% of jh athletes wont even have the opportunity to qualify.
Old 04-20-17, 06:55 PM
All Ohio

madman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws31 View Post
Very little forethought went into this whole thing it seems. It should have been run no differently than high school. If not districts then at least regions to qualify to states. Divisions should of been a must. The way this is set up 90% of jh athletes wont even have the opportunity to qualify.
I don't believe we currently collect the enrollment data in each middle school to be able to group them and assign to divisions accordingly. It would be completely unfair to group the middle school according to the division of the high school. Some high schools are fed by one middle school and some are fed by many. In some cases middle schools that feed Div I high schools are the same size as middle schools that feed smaller DII high schools.

My gut says this whole thing is not ultimately in the best interest of the sport.

========================================

from: http://activeforlife.com/top-five-re...s-play-sports/

A Michigan State University study asked boys and girls aged 10 to 12 why they played sports. Here are the top five reasons they gave:

1. To have fun.
2. To do something I’m good at.
3. To improve my skills.
4. To stay in shape.
5. To get exercise.

Surprise; “winning” didn’t even make the top ten reasons.

Study after study comes up with the same #1 result. Kids play sports for the fun of it.

And not having fun is one of the major reasons 70 percent of kids quit playing sports by the time they’re 13.

Most often it’s parents and coaches who want to win. Kids hardly care. For them, winning is just icing on the cake. They’re focused on simpler things.

=========================================

I'm pretty firmly in the camp that middle school is an excellent time for kids to explore many sports, or events within sports like track and field. I think there's plenty of research to show that the broader the base of athletic experiences the higher the typical achievement in whatever sport an athlete eventually chooses to focus on in college/high school.

Specializing to achieve extreme performances at young ages isn't in the long term interest of even the best athletes and the over-emphasis on achievement at early ages only serves as a deterrent to late bloomers.

It wouldn't bother me in the least to see this effort die on the vine.
Old 04-20-17, 07:12 PM
All Ohio

CoventryTrackXCguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
I don't believe we currently collect the enrollment data in each middle school to be able to group them and assign to divisions accordingly. It would be completely unfair to group the middle school according to the division of the high school. Some high schools are fed by one middle school and some are fed by many. In some cases middle schools that feed Div I high schools are the same size as middle schools that feed smaller DII high schools.

My gut says this whole thing is not ultimately in the best interest of the sport.

========================================

from: http://activeforlife.com/top-five-re...s-play-sports/

A Michigan State University study asked boys and girls aged 10 to 12 why they played sports. Here are the top five reasons they gave:

1. To have fun.
2. To do something I’m good at.
3. To improve my skills.
4. To stay in shape.
5. To get exercise.

Surprise; “winning” didn’t even make the top ten reasons.

Study after study comes up with the same #1 result. Kids play sports for the fun of it.

And not having fun is one of the major reasons 70 percent of kids quit playing sports by the time they’re 13.

Most often it’s parents and coaches who want to win. Kids hardly care. For them, winning is just icing on the cake. They’re focused on simpler things.

=========================================

I'm pretty firmly in the camp that middle school is an excellent time for kids to explore many sports, or events within sports like track and field. I think there's plenty of research to show that the broader the base of athletic experiences the higher the typical achievement in whatever sport an athlete eventually chooses to focus on in college/high school.

Specializing to achieve extreme performances at young ages isn't in the long term interest of even the best athletes and the over-emphasis on achievement at early ages only serves as a deterrent to late bloomers.

It wouldn't bother me in the least to see this effort die on the vine.
I agree. Fun factor is always number 1. Even in high school. Is not the primary draw to sports is fun? I think too many people and even coaches underestimate the value of the fun factor in building a team. I firmly believe that coaches should set aside a practice, or part of a practice, perhaps on the easy day, like before an invitational to get the team together to do things like ultimate frisby. Some might see it as a waste, but I disagree. Fun should be a priority, and im a firm believer that fun can and should coexist with hard work.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-17, 08:31 PM
All Ohio

Altor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
We have home quads with officials at each event. Went to a invite that was timed FAT and Uncle Riko was running long jump. Do you think they will check that meet for registered officials?
How many of your JH meets weigh implements? In my part of the state, I don't think a single one does. I hope they have a big box at this meet for all the 8 lb shots that will be impounded.

I can hear the complaints now. "But I've been using it all year!" No wonder you made the list, kid. You were throwing light.
Old 04-21-17, 08:57 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
How many of your JH meets weigh implements? In my part of the state, I don't think a single one does. I hope they have a big box at this meet for all the 8 lb shots that will be impounded.

I can hear the complaints now. "But I've been using it all year!" No wonder you made the list, kid. You were throwing light.
At jh meet last night where it was timed. Had HS kids running the LJ. Saw multiple mistakes including missing jumps that were fouls and not paying attention .
Old 04-22-17, 07:15 AM
All World

said_aouita is on a distinguished road
Quote:
At jh meet last night where it was timed. Had HS kids running the LJ. Saw multiple mistakes including missing jumps that were fouls and not paying attention .
Sounds like your school needs more volunteers from the parents.
Old 04-22-17, 05:55 PM
All World

No the host schools pay for officials for field events
Old 04-25-17, 07:32 AM
Freshman

bigbabycavalier is on a distinguished road
In Austintown there are 4 certified officials for all field events for middle school weekday meets. Schools should not be hosting Invitationals if they are not properly staffed. It's not fair to the kids when you have one official and three young ladies marking the discus who have never done the job before.
Old 04-25-17, 08:21 AM
All Ohio

madman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbabycavalier View Post
In Austintown there are 4 certified officials for all field events for middle school weekday meets. Schools should not be hosting Invitationals if they are not properly staffed. It's not fair to the kids when you have one official and three young ladies marking the discus who have never done the job before.
I completely disagree with this statement at the middle school level. Requiring that we staff middle school invitationals with the same number of officials as a high school regional championship is a sure way to kill the sport. Most entry fees are ~$200/school. If you have 8 teams, that's $1600 of revenue. You would be lucky to take that much in as gate receipts for a total of $3200.

Timing services are $1000-$1500/meet and you get what you pay for.

Even if you only give medals to the top 3 in each event and trophies to the top two teams, you're looking at ~$1000 or more depending on the quality of the awards.

That leaves ~$1000 for officials if you're not paying people to sell tickets/programs at the entrance, which means you're looking at ~5-6 officials which I think must at a minimum include two starters a clerk, and a roaming field judge.

Having multiple paid officials at every event is going to make operating T&F meets cost prohibitive.

The problem is not a lack of money or officials. The problem is putting too much emphasis on middle school track performances.

We should be doing all that we can to promote the sport and encourage accessibility to good coaching and good competition. Pouring limited financial resources into creating situations where every result is done under the eye of several certified officials is unwise to say the least.
Old 04-25-17, 08:30 AM
All Ohio

Altor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbabycavalier View Post
In Austintown there are 4 certified officials for all field events for middle school weekday meets.
I call BS on this. There is no way a school is paying 20 officials for a MS meet on a Tuesday...and that's just for field events.
Old 04-25-17, 12:29 PM
Freshman

You can call it what you want but that how we do it in Austintown.
Old 04-25-17, 12:31 PM
Freshman

I can give you our track meet director's number so he can tell you for himself
Old 05-06-17, 09:23 PM
All Region

Finishtiming is on a distinguished road
All MS coaches please read ALL of the info on baumspage about the state meet. A coach must declare the athlete and also be in attendance with them. I have already talked to a couple parents that were just going to go to the meet and think they were in because they made the list. There is a very small declaration window and then I am not sure but if 16 do not declare then somehow people outside the 16 will be allowed in.
I do not believe this is going to go very smooth in this process so make sure you follow any directions they have posted on the site. I have nothing to do with this but feel there are many coaches that have no idea what they need to do as a lot ms coaches have enough trouble entering a meet within a specified deadline.
Old 05-07-17, 07:13 PM
All World

Agreed. Many of these kids are in programs that collect uniforms and forget about JH. I know I have multiple kids sitting in the top 30. I am declaring them just in case.