Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-11-17, 01:46 AM
Varsity

State The Obvious is on a distinguished road
Clayton Murphy ranked #1 U.S., #6 World

The annual Track and Field News rankings issue has been mailed and as expected our own Clayton Murphy earned a #1 U.S. ranking at 800 meters. The only other time since the rankings began (1947) that an Ohioan has been ranked first was in 1972 when Dave Wottle brought home gold from Munich.

Clayton also earned a #6 World ranking. (Personally, I thought his Olympic bronze should've had him ranked higher than 6th).

His 1:42.93 ranked #1 in the U.S., #4 in the World and is the 5th fastest time ever run by an American. Only 2 Americans have ever run faster (Johnny Gray, 3 times and Duane Solomon once).

Wow!

Last edited by State The Obvious; 01-11-17 at 02:17 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-17, 06:41 AM
All World

SOTT is on a distinguished road
Clayton is also planning to run the 3000m in the New Balance Indoor Grand Prix in Boston on January 28th. Of note, he will be racing against two 5000m Olympic Medalists in Paul Chelimo (USA - Silver) and Hagos Gebrhiwet (Ethiopia - Bronze). Kind of nice to see he isn't afraid to step up in distance and race against a couple guys who have run in the 7:30s and will likely blow his doors off.
Old 01-11-17, 12:46 PM
Freshman

Ram On is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTT View Post
Clayton is also planning to run the 3000m in the New Balance Indoor Grand Prix in Boston on January 28th. Of note, he will be racing against two 5000m Olympic Medalists in Paul Chelimo (USA - Silver) and Hagos Gebrhiwet (Ethiopia - Bronze). Kind of nice to see he isn't afraid to step up in distance and race against a couple guys who have run in the 7:30s and will likely blow his doors off.
Oh, he won't get his doors blown off. If it's a stiff pace, he'll run mid 7:40's and if it's slow, he could be in the hunt to win.
Old 01-11-17, 02:01 PM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
Clayton is going to have a long career. He wasnt a high mileage guy in HS. He also will be smart and develop range for longer races. So many 800 guys cant go to the 1500 or 3000 later in their career. He will.
Old 01-11-17, 04:58 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram On View Post
Oh, he won't get his doors blown off. If it's a stiff pace, he'll run mid 7:40's and if it's slow, he could be in the hunt to win.
I guess it depends on what your definition of getting your doors blown off is. I don't think he'll run mid 7:40s. I'd say 7:50 would be a fantastic race for him at this point, and I'm guessing a few guys will be looking at low 7:40s. You're right though, if it's close at the end and was fairly slow he definitely has a shot.
Old 01-16-17, 12:50 PM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
Here's a short Q & A with Murphy.

It sounds to me as if he is open to racing the 1500 more regularly and possibly longer than that. I would think that s he ages and matures he will evolve. In the meantime, racing the upcoming 3000 indoors will be beneficial to him from a strength standpoint in both the 800 and the 1500. It will help him be able to maintain pace over a longer distance and may even moderately improve his vo2 max . It's smart for him to be pushing himself.
Old 01-28-17, 09:46 PM
All American

Quote:
The meet was in NBCSN today but I didn't get a chance to see it. Results are here http://live.pttiming.com/?mid=1132

Murphy didn't have a good race finishing 12 th of 12 in 8:16.7. Looking at the splits it looks like something happened between 1800 to 2200. Hopefully he didn't get injured.
Old 01-29-17, 10:28 AM
All District

gatornation is on a distinguished road
Not sure anything happened physically. They said before the start that he was using the race as a workout to prepare for a mile race he is doing in a couple of weeks, cant remember if it is the wanamaker or millrose. He never challenged during any point in the race, sitting in the back of the pack the whole time.
Old 01-29-17, 11:57 PM
Freshman

Ram On is on a distinguished road
I originally thought Clayton would run a great 3000 this weekend. But I was wrong. After thinking it thru, here's where I went wrong:

It was unfair to Clayton for me to have such high expectations. It was actually his fault tho. It seems like anything he touches turns to gold (or at least bronze)! Clayton, to date tho, is an 800 runner who dabbles in the 1500/mile. He has had success in the 1500 but it pales in comparison to his 800 accomplishments. The 3000 is a totally different event than the 800/1500. To expect him to just line up in his first pro 3000 and be able to run with runners who have been running the event for years is ludicrous. Same thing with busting a fast time.

I don't buy that he ran in the prestigious New Balance Games as a workout. He just was out of his league. For now. He tried to hang for as long as he could but found out it's a very long race!

Does he have the tools to be a great 1500 runner? Undoubtedly. How about 3000? Maybe. Only time will tell. But, IMO, I do think we'll see something special out of Clayton in the 1500/mile this year. I'm a fan.
Old 01-30-17, 06:53 AM
All World

Quote:
I originally thought Clayton would run a great 3000 this weekend. But I was wrong. After thinking it thru, here's where I went wrong:

It was unfair to Clayton for me to have such high expectations. It was actually his fault tho. It seems like anything he touches turns to gold (or at least bronze)! Clayton, to date tho, is an 800 runner who dabbles in the 1500/mile. He has had success in the 1500 but it pales in comparison to his 800 accomplishments. The 3000 is a totally different event than the 800/1500. To expect him to just line up in his first pro 3000 and be able to run with runners who have been running the event for years is ludicrous. Same thing with busting a fast time.

I don't buy that he ran in the prestigious New Balance Games as a workout. He just was out of his league. For now. He tried to hang for as long as he could but found out it's a very long race!

Does he have the tools to be a great 1500 runner? Undoubtedly. How about 3000? Maybe. Only time will tell. But, IMO, I do think we'll see something special out of Clayton in the 1500/mile this year. I'm a fan.
Good analysis.

One slight correction which probably comes down more to semantics than anything: he did use the race as a workout, however, I am sure he still wanted to run much faster and be much more competitive than he was. Using it as a workout and wanting to be competitive are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Last year, on the same exact weekend in the 3000m he opened with an 8:18. I think we know how that year turned out. As you said Ram On, he'll be just fine.
Old 04-24-17, 08:31 AM
All American

Clayton Murphy had another big performance this past weekend at the IAAF/BTC World Relays in the Bahamas. Murphy ran the anchor in the 4x8 and teamed up with fellow Ohioan Brannon Kidder, Erik Sowinsk, and Casimir Loxsom to win over Kenya. The race was tactical in nature and the times were slowish. The anchors for Kenya and the USA received the batons at the same time and it has been reported that Murphy ran his last 200 in ≈ 24.09 to beat Oly 5th place finisher Ferguson Rotich for the victory.

Final Results:

1 UNITED STATES 7:13.16
2 KENYA 7:13.70
3 POLAND 7:18.74
4 AUSTRALIA 7:20.10
5 MEXICO 7:20.92
6 QATAR 7:28.25
7 ATHLETE REFUGEE TEAM 8:12.57

More on the event here and here.