Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-15-17, 07:48 AM
All Yappi

tallmadge H2 dad will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
We are now last in the Central at 4-6.
With only 152 games remaining. Might as well throw in the towel
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-17, 10:58 AM
All World

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
Indians are not that good 77 wins.
Nope,95 wins...BAM!
Old 04-15-17, 01:55 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymo View Post
Nope,95 wins...BAM!
1227 may have been thinking about Cincy - though the Reds are off to a good start. Or, maybe the Buccos. Aa-argh!
Old 04-19-17, 09:11 AM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
We are now last in the Central at 4-6.
They'll be back in first by the end of April. And they'll stay there the rest of the season.

The hitters who have struggled seem, for the most part, to be coming around. Encarnacion is starting to drive the ball again. Previously, all he'd done was kill rallies and leave beaucoup runners on base. If he'd only come through with a big hit here or there, the Tribe would have scored a lot more runs and won 2 or 3 more games.

Last night's win was big, because Tomlin showed signs of coming around. He still wasn't great, but he rallied after a tough first inning and when he allowed baserunners, he kept the damage to a minimum.

The struggles by Tomlin and Trevor Bauer have contributed as much to the Tribe's slow start as the stale offense. Bauer has had a couple of starts in which he pitched well the first two times around the opponent's lineup, but came unglued about the fifth or sixth inning. I don't think he's that far away from finding himself. It's not like he's terrible from the first inning on.

Gomes at catcher is another concern. He finally had two hits the other night off Phil Hughes. That may have pushed his average to .100. One-freaking-hundred. Right now, he needs to go on a major tear just to reach the Mendoza Line. His defense has been very good. But Gomes is a completely different hitter from the guy who won a Silver Slugger award a couple of years ago. I doubt we'll ever see him hit like that again. The front office needs to start thinking about pulling the plug on Gomes as the everyday catcher.

The problem is that Roberto Perez hasn't hit much better. The Indians might need to concede that they're not going to get any production out of their catchers, and just appreciate their defense and pitch-calling. Gomes and Perez are holding the catching job until Francisco Mejia is ready, which should be next year.

Last edited by Metacomet; 04-25-17 at 08:18 AM..
Old 04-19-17, 09:24 AM
All Yappi

Mejia is batting .368 at Akron, by the way. But he still needs to finish off some rough edges in his game.
Old 04-19-17, 09:20 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
They'll be back in first by the end of April. And they'll stay there the rest of the season.

The hitters who have struggled seem, for the most part, to be coming around. Encarnacion is starting to drive the ball again. Previously, all he'd done was kill rallies and leave beaucoup runners on base. If he'd only come through with a big hit here or there, the Tribe would have scored a lot more runs and won 2 or 3 more games.

Last night's win was big, because Tomlin showed signs of coming around. He still wasn't great, but he rallied after a tough first inning and when he allowed baserunners, he kept the damage to a minimum.

The slow starts by Tomlin and Trevor Bauer have contributed as much to the Tribe's slow start as the stale offense. Bauer has had a couple of starts in which he pitched well the first two times around the opponent's lineup, but came unglued about the fifth or sixth inning. I don't think he's that far away from finding himself. It's not like he's terrible from the first inning on.

Gomes at catcher is another concern. He finally had two hits the other night off Phil Hughes. That may have pushed his average to .100. One-freaking-hundred. Right now, he needs to go on a major tear just to reach the Mendoza Line. His defense has been very good. But Gomes is a completely different hitter from the guy who won a Silver Slugger award a couple of years ago. I doubt we'll ever see him hit like that again. The front office needs to start thinking about pulling the plug on Gomes as the everyday catcher.

The problem is that Roberto Perez hasn't hit much better. The Indians might need to concede that they're not going to get any production out of their catchers, and just appreciate their defense
and pitch-calling. Gomes and Perez are holding the catching job until Francisco Mejia is ready, which should be next year.
^ Could be. I used to feel this way about shortstops, in general. As a consolation, other teams are in the same (or similar) boat. Good info; thanks.
Old 04-20-17, 03:55 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
No 1 place 89 wins.
Old 04-20-17, 08:30 PM
All American

Make up yer mind. Sheesh!

[That is more like it].
Old 04-21-17, 06:27 AM
All World

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
No 1 place 89 wins.
One more time 95 for the $$$...BAM!
Old 04-21-17, 07:57 AM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Good to get wins out of Tomlin and Bauer. That's how you start a streak
Old 04-21-17, 08:56 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:

The slow starts by Tomlin and Trevor Bauer have contributed as much to the Tribe's slow start as the stale offense. Bauer has had a couple of starts in which he pitched well the first two times around the opponent's lineup, but came unglued about the fifth or sixth inning. I don't think he's that far away from finding himself. It's not like he's terrible from the first inning on.

The problem is that Roberto Perez hasn't hit much better. The Indians might need to concede that they're not going to get any production out of their catchers, and just appreciate their defense and pitch-calling. Gomes and Perez are holding the catching job until Francisco Mejia is ready, which should be next year.
First place today, actually. Maybe Big B panicked a bit early...

EE is a notoriously slow starter. Season-long, he's been the most consistent power hitter in the AL over the last 5 years. No worries.

Tomlin needs pinpoint command, or he's toast. Good back-of-the-rotation guy, and he'll come around. He'll always win a few more than he loses, and often get you safely to the bullpen with a solid "no decision". Not a concern over the long haul this year.

Not ready to panic on Bauer, basically because of all the strength around him, but I have little faith in him to grow up. It would be great if he got his head out of his , but I'm not counting on it. He's a tweak.

Gomes may not get it back, but it is with good reason that Lucroy wouldn't come here. Perez turned out to be pretty clutch with the bat after a bad start filling in for Gomes last year. One of them will come around and rise to the top, but I think it's Gomes' job to lose with Tito. Like they say, the further you play from the ball, the better that you have to hit. The pitchers historically have looked pretty good with Gomes back there.
Old 04-21-17, 08:58 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Good to get wins out of Tomlin and Bauer. That's how you start a streak
yup

win another series, at least
Old 04-22-17, 10:21 PM
All Yappi

On a roll starting pitching been awesome.
Old 04-22-17, 11:29 PM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Lord the top 6 of this lineup is just death for opposing pitchers. Now that Kipnis is back we went Santana, Lindor, Brantley, Encarnacion, Ramirez, Kipnis. Would suck to be a right handed starter against that

Carrasco is nasty; sure could have used him to close out the Cubs
Old 04-23-17, 11:57 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bluth View Post
lord the top 6 of this lineup is just death for opposing pitchers. Now that kipnis is back we went santana, lindor, brantley, encarnacion, ramirez, kipnis. Would suck to be a right handed starter against that

carrasco is nasty; sure could have used him to close out the cubs
+1
Old 04-24-17, 01:37 PM
All Yappi

Big series this week with Houston. The Astros are for real. It wouldn't surprise me if it's Houston vs. the Tribe in the ACLS, rather than the Red Sox. And the Stros are throwing Keuchel, McCullers and Fiers this series. Tough fare. Taking two of three would be great.
Old 04-24-17, 01:42 PM
All Yappi

After three weeks of Almonte as the starting right fielder, I'm getting the idea that he's best-suited as a fourth outfielder. I think he'll keep doing what he's done since he's been with the Tribe: .255 to .260, little power and decent-but-not-great defense. I hope Naquin gets his stroke back in C-bus. Or Zimmer finds his stroke. If neither does, right field may be a spot the Tribe looks to upgrade later this summer.
Old 04-25-17, 08:50 AM
All Yappi

I looked up Zimmer's stats at Columbus. He's hitting .230, with two home runs. Since he's been drafted, he always has problems making consistent contact. Strikeouts have been, and remain, an issue for him. He especially struggles when he's newly-promoted to a higher level. The Tribe won't call him up until he starts making more consistent contact.

I almost forgot about Yandy Diaz as a potential everyday right fielder. He'll be playing mostly outfield in Columbus. He played quite a bit of OF in spring training. He batted .236 in his brief trial in the bigs, but that was his first exposure to major league pitching. Yandy was tentative at times, but he certainly wasn't overmatched. If/when Diaz is promoted again, he'll arrive a much more confident hitter. He played a much better third base than expected. But if he sticks at the big league level, it will be as an outfielder/utility guy. Third base belongs to Jose Ramirez for the next few years.

It would be great if Diaz, or at least someone from the organization, proves to be the permanent solution in right field. That way, the Tribe wouldn't have to make a trade. Diaz has a higher ceiling than Almonte, who will probably hit .260 with no power for the rest of his career.

Last edited by Metacomet; 04-28-17 at 09:31 AM..
Old 04-25-17, 11:09 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
After three weeks of Almonte as the starting right fielder, I'm getting the idea that he's best-suited as a fourth outfielder. I think he'll keep doing what he's done since he's been with the Tribe: .255 to .260, little power and decent-but-not-great defense. I hope Naquin gets his stroke back in C-bus. Or Zimmer finds his stroke. If neither does, right field may be a spot the Tribe looks to upgrade later this summer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Kipnis

Quote:
In the spring of 2007, Kipnis batted .337 for the Wildcats with a .450 on-base percentage as an outfielder while stealing 11 bases in 12 attempts in 34 games.
Quote:
.......University of Kentucky wasn't the right fit for him and that ASU's college baseball reputation would make it a better fit.

In 2008, Kipnis batted .371 with 14 home runs and 73 runs batted in. He finished second in the league with 24 stolen bases in 28 attempts. Kipnis primarily played center field, but played all outfield positions and second base; he batted leadoff part of the time.
Quote:
In 2009, Kipnis was the team's leadoff hitter and batted .384 with a .500 on-base percentage and a .709 slugging percentage. He finished with 16 home runs, 71 RBIs, 27 steals in 33 attempts, 51 walks and 32 strikeouts. The National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA), Baseball America, and Collegiate Baseball named Kipnis the Pac-10 Conference Player of the Year, a Pac-10 Conference All-Star outfielder, and a First Team College All-American outfielder. Rivals.com rated Kipnis the number one outfielder in the nation.
Quote:
In 2009, the first-year minor leaguer batted .306 for the Mahoning Valley Scrappers of the Short-Season A classification New York–Penn League, playing left and center field. While Kipnis appeared to be a good prospect as an outfielder, the Indians saw his potential as a second baseman. Kipnis felt he would have more success in the majors at second base, particularly because of Cleveland's difficulties at that position in recent years.
We have some good infielders around now. Is it nuts to consider putting Kipnis back in the outfield ? Could it even extend his career ?
Old 04-25-17, 09:00 PM
All American

Wow. Great find and info. I'll defer to MC to answer your questions - with good reason.
Old 04-26-17, 11:51 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Lord the top 6 of this lineup is just death for opposing pitchers. Now that Kipnis is back we went Santana, Lindor, Brantley, Encarnacion, Ramirez, Kipnis. Would suck to be a right handed starter against that....
Stupid mustachioed-Yoder-lookin' Keuchel!! Lefty Maddux....

Best opposition outing of the year ? Best I've seen.
Old 04-26-17, 09:23 PM
All Yappi

kent16 is on a distinguished road
No chance they move kipnis back 2 the OF this year.. Wouldn't mind seeing Diaz in RF, but think thats a few months away... Think if Jackson keeps hitting the way he is we will see him in everyday role in CF and chiss in RF
Old 04-27-17, 09:06 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Kipnis

We have some good infielders around now. Is it nuts to consider putting Kipnis back in the outfield ? Could it even extend his career ?
Those are all good points. And you've got great recall to remember that Kipnis was a college outfielder. He probably could play LF or CF in a pinch, though I get the feeling that is something the Indians organization would never consider. Kip is entrenched at 2B, where he is an annual All-star candidate. Also, I don't think he's got the arm to play right field at the big league level. That's why he was moved to second, and not shortstop. The Tribe has an all-star at every position on the infield; I just don't think they want to mess around with the makeup of that infield.

I do think that if the Tribe makes any sort of deal this summer, it will be for a right fielder. Even then, they'll exhaust all possibilities from the organization first. Playing Jackson and Chisenhall full-time is one option, but probably not the best one. Jackson might get a few more ABs against righties, but Chizz is better as a platoon guy. And Jackson's bat has been declining for several years. That's one reason he's bounced between so many teams recently. I suspect that he's best-suited for a platoon, as well.

Last edited by Metacomet; 04-27-17 at 09:19 AM..
Old 04-27-17, 09:13 AM
All Yappi

That was a good win for the Tribe last night. Seven runs off the Stros' staff is a real feat. And I'm especially pleased by the way they knocked around McCullers, who is one of the top young pitchers in the AL. And the Tribe did it without the longball. Clutch hits in abundance. Michael Brantley came through twice with men on base. Santana and Ramirez also had key RBI hits.

Brantley's average is up around .320. I think he needs a few more ABs before he's listed among the league leaders. He's stroking the ball with power now; four HRs in less than two weeks. Dr. Smooth gets at least one big hit every game. It's safe to say he's made a full recovery from his injuries. A month ago in Arizona, this wouldn't have seemed possible.

Last edited by Metacomet; 04-27-17 at 09:26 AM..
Old 04-27-17, 10:37 AM
All Yappi

I didn't actually remember Kip in the OF, but I did recall a Tom Hamilton mention of it a few years back, so I fired up the google-machine.

Francona has shown a willingness to experiment, and the team is willing to do it because Terry "owns" the outcomes. I wouldn't rule anything out.
Old 04-27-17, 10:44 AM
All Yappi

Zimmer's average has jumped to .258 at Columbus. He has two homers, seven RBI and five stolen bases. Zim also has 21 Ks in 66 ABs.

Mejia's BA is down to .333 at Akron. He has no homers yet, with seven RBI. Among his 19 hits are seven doubles and a triple.
Old 04-28-17, 09:45 AM
All Yappi

Another good win for the Tribe last night, 4-3 over the Stros in a nailbiter. Cleveland wins 2-of-3 in a playoff preview. Notice I didn't say "probable." Trust me, folks. The Indians and Astros will meet again this October with the American League pennant on the line. The Tribe certainly caught a break with the injuries to Jose Altuve and George Springer. But hey, you gotta play 'em no matter who is in the lineup.

Indians couldn't get a clutch base hit last night, so they relied on the longball. Dingers by Encarnacion and Almonte kept it close while starter Corey Kluber went through a rough stretch in the early innings. Kluber found his stuff in the middle innings and Francisco Lindor struck the coup de grace, a two-run bomb in the seventh that traveled over 450 feet. Brian Shaw and Cody Allen kept Houston at bay the last two innings.

See that? I ripped Almonte yesterday and he hits the HR and saves Kluber's bacon with a big first-inning catch with the bases loaded. I've complained about Gomes' poor hitting; now he's got his average up to .200 and he's even drawing walks, something he never did before even when he was going well.

I might have to start saying bad things about Encarnacion, Santana, Kipnis... My God!! Motivation by criticism. Now I know what it's like to be Brian.
Old 04-28-17, 10:11 AM
All Yappi

Indians host Seattle this weekend. Mariners are 10-13. Their pitching, apart from James Paxton, has been lousy. Even Felix Hernandez has struggled. Paxton won't pitch this weekend and neither will King Felix, who just went on the DL. Also going on the DL is rookie sensation Mitch Haniger, who has been Seattle's best hitter so far. Mariners' lineup has a couple of guys hitting well, like Haniger and Nelson Cruz, but a whole bunch of guys hitting .170-ish. Robinson Cano is batting a so-so .264.

Indians could, maybe should sweep this series.
Old 04-28-17, 07:39 PM
All American

Quote:
Another good win for the Tribe last night, 4-3 over the Stros in a nailbiter. Cleveland wins 2-of-3 in a playoff preview. Notice I didn't say "probable." Trust me, folks. The Indians and Astros will meet again this October with the American League pennant on the line. The Tribe certainly caught a break with the injuries to Jose Altuve and George Springer. But hey, you gotta play 'em no matter who is in the lineup.

Indians couldn't get a clutch base hit last night, so they relied on the longball. Dingers by Encarnacion and Almonte kept it close while starter Corey Kluber went through a rough stretch in the early innings. Kluber found his stuff in the middle innings and Francisco Lindor struck the coup de grace, a two-run bomb in the seventh that traveled over 450 feet. Brian Shaw and Cody Allen kept Houston at bay the last two innings.

See that? I ripped Almonte yesterday and he hits the HR and saves Kluber's bacon with a big first-inning catch with the bases loaded. I've complained about Gomes' poor hitting; now he's got his average up to .200 and he's even drawing walks, something he never did before even when he was going well.

I might have to start saying bad things about Encarnacion, Santana, Kipnis... My God!! Motivation by criticism. Now I know what it's like to be Brian.
Thankfully, you lack his writing "style". Enjoy the updates and insights.
Old 04-28-17, 08:47 PM
All Yappi

Indians offense is still bad. Lost 3 1 not good.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: