Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-16-17, 04:22 PM
All World

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Can they win 95 this year?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-17, 07:51 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the great news updates. The future is looking good for the Tribe!
Old 03-18-17, 11:56 AM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
Indians blew a lead to Texas yesterday but Tribe bats continued to sizzle. Yan Gomes went 3-for-4 with a homer. That's a great sign. No one needs a bounce-back year any more than Gomes. Rookie outfielders Greg Allen and Bradley Zimmer both stayed hot. Zimmer leads the Tribe in spring RBIs (having Lindor and Santana playing in the WBC helps). If Zimmer continues to hit this way in Columbus, he could earn a mid-season call-up by the Tribe.

Rookie catcher Francisco Mejia was sent down to Akron, but batted well over .300 in Arizona. Mejia has developed into one of baseball's most highly-touted prospects. He's the kid who fashioned a 50-game hitting streak last year between Lake County and Lynchburg. Mejia batted .342 overall in 2016. He also threw out 43 percent on stolen base tries, an outstanding percentage. Mejia had bombed a couple of homers this spring. He's starting to grow into some power. Mejia hit 11 homers last year; it is his career high. He'd been more of a line-drive hitter his first few seasons. This kid will probably reach Cleveland sometime in 2018.

He's also one of the kids (outfield prospect Greg Allen is another) who were included in the erstwhile Jonathan Lucroy trade. This might turn out to be one of the greatest trades the Indians' front office never made. Mejia is an elite prospect; Allen is turning into a solid prospect with a big league future. And the other two kids, P Shawn Armstrong and SS Yu Chen, are also among the Tribe's top 10 prospects. Armstrong has a chance to win a spot in this year's bullpen.
I wouldn't trade Mejia or Allen in just any deal, but to me a prospect is simply a prospect until they become a proven MLB player. Lindor is an example of why you typically want to keep your elite prospects, but a team like the Tribe...with a wide open three year championship window...should strongly consider trading any prospect for proven MLB producers than can help win a World Series now if a worthy deal presents itself.
Old 03-20-17, 11:34 AM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
I wouldn't trade Mejia or Allen in just any deal, but to me a prospect is simply a prospect until they become a proven MLB player. Lindor is an example of why you typically want to keep your elite prospects, but a team like the Tribe...with a wide open three year championship window...should strongly consider trading any prospect for proven MLB producers than can help win a World Series now if a worthy deal presents itself.
No!No!NO!NO!NO!

If you go overboard pawning off your better prospects chasing That One Missing Piece, you guarantee your team a short window of opportunity. An organization that makes one or two judicious trades, and hangs on to as many prospects as it can is the one that will be in position to win over a much longer term. Do you really want to see the Indians operate like the Angels or the Tigers? The Angels traded themselves into the position of having the worst farm system in baseball, chasing an elusive title that remained out of their reach. They've got Mike Trout propping up a team that would be a potential 100-game loser if not for him.

The Tigers did the same thing for years, trying to win a title while owner Mike Ilich was still alive. Well, he passed away this winter and the Tigers never managed to find the right parts to complement Miguel Cabrera and Justin Verlander. The one difference between the Tigers and Angels is that the Tigers were smart enough to part with Yoenis Cespedes for some young pitching when the realized they couldn't re-sign him, and they netted promising starter Michael Fulmer in the deal. But still, the Tigers are propped up by Cabrera, Verlander and Ian Kinsler. Their farm system is wafer thin, because then-GM David Dombrowski was always trying to add veterans. So for years, the Tigers traded off the cream of their farm system. But when Cabrera and Verlander fade, the Tigers will fall and fall hard. They'll be losers with no end in sight because of their thin farm system. That is, unless they start trading guys like Kinsler and J.D. Martinez this year. Maybe they can build themselves a future. They're sure not going to win a title with their current roster.

Last edited by Metacomet; 03-21-17 at 10:20 AM..
Old 03-20-17, 11:48 AM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
The Indians are a small market team and will never have more than a 3-5 year window to compete, if that. Go for it as hard as you can and then sell everything once the window starts to shut, which means trading good prospects for rental players. Or you'll end up like the Reds who thought they could compete for two years longer than they should have and are now left with a pretty average farm system. And they don't have a single playoff series win to show for it
Old 03-20-17, 11:54 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
You want to know the value of a farm system? These players were drafted/signed and developed by the Indians: Danny Salazar, Josh Tomlin, Cody Allen, Cody Anderson, Ryan Merritt, Shawn Armstrong, Roberto Perez, Eric Gonzalez, Jason Kipnis, Francisco Lindor, Jose Ramirez, Tyler Naquin, Lonnie Chisenhall, Greg Allen, Bradley Zimmer and Yandy Diaz.

And these players started their careers in other organizations, but were obtained by the Indians as minor leaguers, and were developed into finished products by the Tribe's player development system: Corey Kluber, Carlos Carrasco, Trevor Bauer, Zach McAllister, Mike Clevenger, Carlos Santana, Michael Martinez and Michael Brantley.

That's the bulk of the American League Championship team, all processed through the Tribe's minor league system. I don't know if any other team has the number or quality of home-grown players that the Indians do. Maybe the Cardinals or Red Sox come close.

The Indians don't need to make a bunch of trades and they certainly don't need to gut their farm system; it's their golden ticket to a successful future. They didn't need Jonathan Lucroy last year. They don't need anyone like him this year. And they don't need to add a Dexter Fowler or Jason Hayward-type in the outfield, when neither of those guys has the power/speed potential of Zimmer; and Allen has a ceiling similar to theirs, with youth (and low salary) on his side.

Last edited by Metacomet; 04-04-17 at 10:43 AM..
Old 03-20-17, 12:02 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
The Indians are a small market team and will never have more than a 3-5 year window to compete, if that. Go for it as hard as you can and then sell everything once the window starts to shut, which means trading good prospects for rental players. Or you'll end up like the Reds who thought they could compete for two years longer than they should have and are now left with a pretty average farm system. And they don't have a single playoff series win to show for it
You want to know how to keep the window open longer than 3-5 years? You keep scouting, drafting and signing elite young talent. Scouting and player development. The Cardinals have been winning since the 1920s, and it's all because they scout and develop young talent better than any organization. The Indians can do that, too. In fact, they are doing it now.

The Indians are already American League favorites. What do they need that they don't already have? If the Angels want to trade Mike Trout, the Tribe would be crazy not to listen. But for a good, but not super player like Jonathan Lucroy? If the Tribe had made that trade, it would have been robbery. The Brewers robbing Cleveland, that is. Lucroy was not worth Mejia, Allen, Chen and Armstrong. I wouldn't have traded Mejia straight up for him. Mejia will be the Indians' starting catcher by mid-season 2018.
Old 03-21-17, 10:33 AM
All Yappi

This wouldn't have seemed possible two weeks ago, but Michael Brantley just might be fit enough to be the Indians' Opening Day left fielder. Brantley went 2-for-3 with an RBI in yesterday's 14-5 win over the Dodgers. According to the PD, Brantley hit the ball hard in all three plate appearances, and looked comfortable in left field. The next test will be playing him on consecutive days.

Having Brantley ready by Opening Day isn't a sure thing. On the other hand, it's not an impossible dream. It's starting to look as if it might happen.

OK. Now for the bad news: Cody Anderson, the once-promising young pitcher who won seven games for the Tribe in 2015, will miss the entire 2017 season, and probably part of 2018. Anderson will undergo Tommy John surgery to repair his injured right elbow. The elbow has been bothering Anderson since spring training last year, and may account for some of the struggles he has experienced since then.

Last edited by Metacomet; 03-21-17 at 10:51 AM..
Old 03-21-17, 07:39 PM
All American

Brantley: part-time to start would be fine with me - not that I count.

Anderson: that's a long time, but maybe this will help him turn around.
Old 03-22-17, 10:11 AM
All World

Got my fingers crossed for #23 to take baby steps,it's a long season.
Old 03-23-17, 11:26 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymo View Post
Got my fingers crossed for #23 to take baby steps,it's a long season.

Brantley went 1-for-3 in yesterday's 10-2 loss to Colorado. A sharp single to right and two routine fly-outs to left. The Tribe was idle on Tuesday, so Dr. Smooth still hasn't played on consecutive days. I'm interested to see if he plays today. If he does and he's comfortable, that's a very encouraging sign.

Yandy Diaz also went 1-for-3 yesterday. In Monday's win over the Dodgers, Yandy went 2-for-3 with a homer and 4 RBI. Diaz is batting .444 this spring. He strikes out almost as infrequently as Brantley. Diaz rakes line drives to all fields, and is starting to develop legitimate big league power.

But he's also struggling defensively, so he's not guaranteed a roster spot when the Tribe breaks camp. Yandy played third base Monday and booted a grounder. He also had at least one shaky throw that first baseman Chris Colabello saved with some nifty glovework. Diaz also hasn't been great in the outfield. Terry Francona is trying to find a spot for Diaz, because he'd like to keep him and his .300-plus bat in the lineup. Yandy has shown that he's capable of hitting major league pitching. He played third the other day because Tito is toying with the idea of moving Jose Ramirez to second while Jason Kipnis recuperates.

I believe Diaz will make the Opening Day roster if he shows Tito that he can play even average defense, at 3B or in the outfield.

Last edited by Metacomet; 03-23-17 at 11:56 AM..
Old 03-28-17, 10:40 AM
All Yappi

Brantley hit his first homer of the spring in Sunday's win over the Diamondbacks. Dr. Smooth is batting over .300, though he's only had 19 at-bats. Brantley has cleared one hurdle by playing consecutive days. Now, Tito wants to see how the shoulder responds to three straight games.

I'm just guessing here, but I believe that Brantley will open the season with the Indians. He just won't play every day, until he's proven the shoulder is sound enough to take the stress that an everyday player endures.

Yandy Diaz has survived every round of cuts. He's still with the big-league club, for now. At this time, it appears that Yandy is competing with Gio Urshela for the third base position, as Jose Ramirez takes over at second until Jason Kipnis comes off the DL. So it's Diaz vs. Urshela: one guy who hits a ton but struggles with the glove; the other, a fancy fielder who doesn't hit much. It's also still possible that Yandy could find a spot in left field until Brantley is ready to play every day.

Austin Jackson has made the team. I don't know what that means for Abraham Almonte, who has had a terrific camp. Almonte might fill in for Brantley in left. He may also platoon with Tyler Naquin in center, though I suspect that's where Jackson fits in. Jackson looks as if he'll inherit Rajai Davis' old role. I'm not sure how many outfielders the Tribe will keep to open the season, but there's a chance Almonte could be the odd man out.

I almost forgot: Lonnie Chisenhall hurt his shoulder crashing into the right field wall the other day in Scottsdale. He hasn't played since. It's possible that Chizz could open the season on the DL, which would clear a roster spot for Almonte, or even Diaz.

Last edited by Metacomet; 03-28-17 at 10:57 AM..
Old 03-28-17, 08:00 PM
All American

Sounds like nice "problems" to have. Better to have "too many" good choices than scrambling to put mediocre band-aids on the wounds.

Thanks for the info!

Go Tribe!!!
Old 03-29-17, 03:23 PM
All Ohio

JoeCool is on a distinguished road
Chiz will indeed start the year on the 10 day DL, and almonte will make the roster.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-17, 09:42 AM
All Yappi

Brantley hit his second homer of the spring in yesterday's 9-6 win over the Reds. Dr. Smooth is batting about .390. He's also cleared the "Three Straight Days" hurdle. It's looking more and more as if Brantley will be in the lineup and batting third against Yu Darvish when the Tribe starts playing for real Monday in Arlington.

Yandy Diaz went 2-for-3 yesterday and cracked a three-run tater to put the Tribe ahead to stay. Yandy is batting about .420. He's got two homers and about 10 RBI; I'm not sure of the exact number. It will be darned near impossible to keep Diaz out of the lineup Monday. Tito even stayed behind a couple of days last week when the Tribe had games, just so he could observe some defensive drills that some of the coaches were conducting with Yandy to improve his chances of winning a spot on the roster. They worked with him at third base one day; outfield, the next. Francona wants this kid to make the team. But he won't give Diaz a spot unless he shows he can play passable defense.

Giovanny Urshela, Yandy's competition at third, is having an OK spring. He's hit .275, with a pair of homers.

Last edited by Metacomet; 04-04-17 at 10:48 AM..
Old 03-30-17, 10:30 AM
All Yappi

Just my hunch, but here's what I believe the Tribe's lineup will look like Monday vs. Texas:

1. Carlos Santana, 1B
2. Francisco Lindor, SS
3. Michael Brantley, LF
4. Edwin Encarnacion, DH
5. Jose Ramirez, 2B
6. Abraham Almonte, RF
7. Yandy Diaz, 3B
8. Yan Gomes, C
9. Tyler Naquin, CF

Corey Kluber, P
Old 03-30-17, 12:00 PM
All Ohio

Only thing I would change from the lineup is Jackson in center just because they will probably throw Hammels out there who is left handed.

Lol nevermind just looked up they are starting Darvish.
Old 03-30-17, 06:37 PM
All Ohio

Diaz makes the team.

Old 03-30-17, 07:50 PM
All American

Quote:
Just my hunch, but here's what I believe the Tribe's lineup will look like Monday vs. Texas:

1. Carlos Santana, 1B
2. Francisco Lindor, SS
3. Michael Brantley, LF
4. Edwin Encarnacion, DH
5. Jose Ramirez, 2B
6. Abraham Almonte, RF
7. Yandy Diaz, 3B
8. Yan Gomes, C
9. Tyler Naquin, CF

Corey Kluber, P
Looks good, looks real good. Stoked. Cleveland rocks!
Old 04-01-17, 09:29 AM
All World

Wish #23 would DH every couple days,long season.
Old 04-01-17, 05:58 PM
All American

Maybe not a bad idea. Between the current roster and AAAers, the Tribe has plenty of outfielders available.
Old 04-03-17, 11:44 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymo View Post
Wish #23 would DH every couple days,long season.
It's possible that Dr. Smooth could DH. But it's even more likely that Tito will sit Brantley every fourth day or so, until he's convinced the shoulder is sound. We'll see lots of Almonte, Guyer and Jackson bouncing between left, center and right for the first month of the season.

What I'd like to know is, what happens if Diaz keeps hitting over .300? Will he ride the Columbus Express when Kipnis returns? Or will the Indians make a spot for him in right field? Diaz is too young to just keep in a utility role. Chizz had better keep his hitting shoes tied tight when he comes off the DL because if Yandy keeps raking, he might be the odd man out.
Old 04-03-17, 11:54 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
Maybe not a bad idea. Between the current roster and AAAers, the Tribe has plenty of outfielders available.
Bradley Zimmer and Greg Allen both had great springs and made positive impressions upon Tito and the Tribe's front office. Zimmer will play in Cleveland at some point this year; either as a call-up if someone gets hurt, or in September if all the outfielders stay healthy.

Allen will start at Akron, but I expect to see him promoted to C-bus sometime during the season.
Old 04-03-17, 11:57 AM
All Yappi

Opening Day!!!

The first day of what we all hope will be a World Series championship season.

Go Tribe!!!
Old 04-03-17, 01:12 PM
All American

Quote:
Opening Day!!!

The first day of what we all hope will be a World Series championship season.

Go Tribe!!!
This is the Tribe's year! Glad the game is on ESPN tonight. Stoked.

FWIW, the Tribe's game vs. the Chisox (next Wednesday 6:10) is the MLB.com Free Game of the Day. Great for those of us who do not get regular Indians telecasts.
Old 04-03-17, 09:29 PM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Pretty cool to have an 8-5 lead in a game that Kluber gave up 5 quick runs. The benefits of having a good lineup all the way through. Was so nice watching Brantley and Encarnacion come to the plate in the 1st inning
Old 04-03-17, 09:46 PM
All American

Great come from behind game! Love it that the Tribe is rarely - if ever - out of a game. [I forgot about the BB final].
Old 04-04-17, 06:35 AM
All World

This team is going to be fun to watch,we have some Swingers...BAM!
Old 04-04-17, 09:37 AM
All Yappi

Great win. Lots of positive things: The Ramirez HR that began the comeback; Yandy's first big-league hit, a double that set up the Tribe's fourth run; Encarnacion's two hits, including the game tying tater in the eighth; Almonte's solid perfomance: two BBs and the game-winning hit; Santana's two big hits; Brantley's RBI hit after starting 0-for-4; and of course, great relief work by Otero, Logan, Miller and Allen.

The only lowlights: Kluber's shaky performance in the first three innings, though he settled down after that; Gomes' 0-for-4. He started up right where he left off last year, when he hit .160-something.
Old 04-04-17, 08:19 PM
All American

Gomes: Hopefully, he'll get figured out. MLB is weak at that position, imo.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: