Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Closed Thread

Old 05-17-17, 06:43 AM
All Region

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Has Schwarber's home run landed yet?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-17, 06:58 AM
All American

14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
Don't you, 14Red, perhaps find it to be a little bit curious that "most" would be shocked at anything at this point in the young season?
The season hasn't reached the 25% mark yet.
I'm not sure that "most" have drawn any conclusions after 35-40 games.

But -- rather than trying to speak for others -- I will just offer my own opinion that the Reds have done better than I expected, but there is more than 75% of the season still to be played. Last year at this point, Joey Votto's BA was barely over .200.
"Most" of you guys had the Reds winning 60 games this summer, losing over 100, Price being fired and no hope in sight. So yes, as I see it today, that the team is .500, especially with our depleted starting rotation.

Yes, the season is just beginning, but last year, we were burried before Memorial Day. As I've said before, you can't win the division in April or May, but you sure can lose it.

Joey is off to an MVP type of start.
Old 05-17-17, 07:00 AM
All American

Thinking outside the box here, wouldn't it be interesting if the Reds look at yesterday, Bronson pitching and the wind blowing out, and switch starters? It's going to be tough to win with Bronson under ideal conditions, but when the deck is stacked against him, is there any consideration to switching starters?
Old 05-17-17, 07:03 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Thinking outside the box here, wouldn't it be interesting if the Reds look at yesterday, Bronson pitching and the wind blowing out, and switch starters? It's going to be tough to win with Bronson under ideal conditions, but when the deck is stacked against him, is there any consideration to switching starters?
Old 05-17-17, 07:04 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
"Most" of you guys had the Reds winning 60 games this summer, losing over 100, Price being fired and no hope in sight. So yes, as I see it today, that the team is .500, especially with our depleted starting rotation.

Yes, the season is just beginning, but last year, we were burried before Memorial Day. As I've said before, you can't win the division in April or May, but you sure can lose it.

Joey is off to an MVP type of start.
Source? wolves is the only one I can think of that came close to predicting only 60 wins with his 68 prediction.

So you can lose the division in April or May, but you can't lose the MVP in April-June?
Old 05-17-17, 09:00 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Source? wolves is the only one I can think of that came close to predicting only 60 wins with his 68 prediction.

So you can lose the division in April or May, but you can't lose the MVP in April-June?
You can lose the MVP with any sustained slump during the season. At least for now, Joey's still in the conversation.
Old 05-17-17, 09:30 AM
All American

Quote:
You can lose the MVP with any sustained slump during the season.
Oh this is just great. coming from the guy who argued Joey should be the MVP despite having an AAA level season for the first half of the year last year.
Old 05-17-17, 10:20 AM
All Yappi

14red couldn't understand why Votto didn't get MVP votes last year, but now claims he's having an "MVP start". God, what an idiot.
Old 05-17-17, 12:14 PM
All Region

Quote:
LOL. "It's windy today, let's re-arrange our pitching rotation last minute!" , said no sane manager or coach, ever.

Pitchers get on schedules between starts. Speaking from my son's college schedule, he did this: Start day, then rest day, then run/lift/bullpen day, then run/lift no throwing day, then run/lite toss day, then start. You don't jerk them around like little-leaguers based on a stupid whim.

Arroyo has proven he can get lit up in any weather conditions anyway. So please, get back in your box and don't think outside it any more.
Old 05-17-17, 01:26 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
LOL. "It's windy today, let's re-arrange our pitching rotation last minute!" , said no sane manager or coach, ever.

Pitchers get on schedules between starts. Speaking from my son's college schedule, he did this: Start day, then rest day, then run/lift/bullpen day, then run/lift no throwing day, then run/lite toss day, then start. You don't jerk them around like little-leaguers based on a stupid whim.

Arroyo has proven he can get lit up in any weather conditions anyway. So please, get back in your box and don't think outside it any more.
Oh, so since your son pitches in college, you are an authority on pitching??? Forgive me...

Give me a break, look...I prefaced this by saying "thinking outside the box" and "wouldn't it be interesting"...

Bronson - fly ball pitcher...Wrigley winds - substantiated - it's strong...this isn't a whim. Funny that teams shift their entire defense around based on the metrics of where guys hit balls. What's so different about this??
You don't think the first thing Bronson and Price did was see if the wind was blowing out or not?
Old 05-17-17, 01:29 PM
All Yappi

Since it's challenging for him to win under any circumstance, why not just release him and give a young arm the MLB innings and experience?
Old 05-17-17, 01:30 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Oh, so since your son pitches in college, you are an authority on pitching??? Forgive me...

Give me a break, look...I prefaced this by saying "thinking outside the box" and "wouldn't it be interesting"...

Bronson - fly ball pitcher...Wrigley winds - substantiated - it's strong...this isn't a whim. Funny that teams shift their entire defense around based on the metrics of where guys hit balls. What's so different about this??
You don't think the first thing Bronson and Price did was see if the wind was blowing out or not?
It does make him more credible than you, but that is the lowest bar on yappi, so I think he was just bragging.
Old 05-17-17, 02:11 PM
All Ohio

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
"Most" of you guys had the Reds winning 60 games this summer, losing over 100, Price being fired and no hope in sight.
Totally false.
If you dispute this, then show the posts where "most" of us stated those things.

If you can't, then admit that you're a dishonest poster.

Last edited by Monclova Steve; 05-17-17 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: correct "were" to "where"
Old 05-17-17, 02:20 PM
All American

he already ignored my request for a source on that, despite replying to the post
Old 05-17-17, 02:23 PM
All Ohio

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
he already ignored my request for a source on that, despite replying to the post
Why am I not surprised?
Old 05-17-17, 03:42 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
Totally false.
If you dispute this, then show the posts where "most" of us stated those things.

If you can't, then admit that you're a dishonest poster.
Oh no...not the dishonest poster...may as well shut this site down if you want complete honestly...
Old 05-18-17, 08:14 AM
All American

Completely agree with Lance!

http://espn1530.iheart.com/onair/lan...tter-15839240/
Old 05-18-17, 09:06 AM
All American

I disagree, 14. I think Billy Hamilton is the greatest Reds hitter.
Old 05-18-17, 09:48 AM
All American

Day baseball, Amir Garrett has been recalled and starts today. Need to stop the bleeding...

Incredible stat, Zack Cozart, not a home run hitter, has hit home runs in 5 consecutive games at Wrigley Field.
Old 05-18-17, 11:11 AM
All Region

Quote:

I'm not an authority, just conveying some first-hand info from my experience, and I suspect that MLB pitchers and pitching rotations are even more stringent in there preparation and routines.

Shifting defensive players positioning in the field based on statistics is a small move intended to play the odds. Seems smart. Re-aligning your starting pitching rotation based on wind velocity is not smart in any way. The fact that you equate the two is staggering.

Bronson and Price may have checked the wind, but I guarantee you that Price never considered a change. Arroyo is a competitor and would also never think about it. He would just re-think his pitch selection / strategy.
Old 05-18-17, 01:42 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
I'm not an authority, just conveying some first-hand info from my experience, and I suspect that MLB pitchers and pitching rotations are even more stringent in there preparation and routines.

Shifting defensive players positioning in the field based on statistics is a small move intended to play the odds. Seems smart. Re-aligning your starting pitching rotation based on wind velocity is not smart in any way. The fact that you equate the two is staggering.

Bronson and Price may have checked the wind, but I guarantee you that Price never considered a change. Arroyo is a competitor and would also never think about it. He would just re-think his pitch selection / strategy.
There is no doubt there was not a thought given to aligning pitchers due to weather conditions. But there also was a day when no one would consider putting 3 infielders on the right side of the diamond. Just a thought.

You may see a day when you don't see the traditional starting pitcher. I heard a stat recently that the average innings pitched for a winning pitcher this year is only 6 innings. The average for the losing pitcher is 5. Do you ever consider a day when you have a staff of 10 pitchers, you have one or two traditional starters, then you have 7-8 guys who are 2-3 inning pitchers? Only need to get through the order once, you rotate pinch hitters through ever time through the order...
Something to consider someday.
Old 05-18-17, 01:47 PM
All American

Well then....

Bottom of one in Chicago.... 3 walks, 2 hits, one a grand slam and it's 5-0 already...not good...
Old 05-18-17, 02:03 PM
All Yappi

Raise your hand if you didn't see a huge Reds meltdown in the making? Only a fool would think this team had a prayer of being 500.
Old 05-18-17, 02:21 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Raise your hand if you didn't see a huge Reds meltdown in the making? Only a fool would think this team had a prayer of being 500.
Hand partially up. I'd still only classify this as a minor meltdown. The starting rotation is such that there is no way we could keep winning status quo. Not sure the Garrett send down was the best at this time, but I understand the reason. Bronson/ Feldman, it's just tough to expect to get consistent outings from them.

I still feel .500 is possible, but the rotation is going to have to improve quite a bit. Yesterday's game was for the taking, we gave them 3-4 runs on misplayed balls. And the defense has been solid all year.
Old 05-18-17, 02:26 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Good, the boys are back to just having fun.
Old 05-18-17, 02:41 PM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
Old 05-18-17, 02:42 PM
All Yappi

Love the Cincinnati Try-hards!
Old 05-19-17, 08:15 PM
All American

Getting smacked by the Rockies.
Old 05-19-17, 08:54 PM
All Yappi

The boys are having a lot of fun tonight! Good to see.
Old 05-19-17, 09:10 PM
All American

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: