Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-17-17, 12:07 PM
All Ohio

Jowsepi is on a distinguished road
Numbers on the Jerseys

Can we as a state finally vote to get rid of the numbers on the back. I see no good coming from them, just a chance to DQ an athlete.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-17, 01:35 PM
All Ohio

madman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowsepi View Post
Can we as a state finally vote to get rid of the numbers on the back. I see no good coming from them, just a chance to DQ an athlete.
If a foul is committed and they are going to DQ an athlete, I would rather reduce the chance that they DQ the wrong athlete...
Old 05-17-17, 07:38 PM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
If a foul is committed and they are going to DQ an athlete, I would rather reduce the chance that they DQ the wrong athlete...
This is almost always what officials tell me when this comes up. In more than a quarter century of coaching, I have had four athletes DQ'd by an official who only had their number. Only one of those four times did they give a number used by one of my team's athletes in the race.
Old 05-17-17, 08:55 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Was at a District meet tonight where the official would have DQ'd the wrong team had he not gotten the numbers. I would think there are more important things to think about than numbers. Nearly every sport uses numbers to identify players and no one complains about it. How hard is it to have a kid wear the correct numbered uniform?
Old 05-18-17, 04:25 AM
All District

Purple66 is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
Was at a District meet tonight where the official would have DQ'd the wrong team had he not gotten the numbers. I would think there are more important things to think about than numbers. Nearly every sport uses numbers to identify players and no one complains about it. How hard is it to have a kid wear the correct numbered uniform?
Agree
Old 05-18-17, 08:16 AM
All Ohio

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah plus some schools like my own, we actually own our numbers. Like Ive worn the same number all through my high school years. I still have that jersey btw. Yall know how that is.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-17, 08:27 AM
All Ohio

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Numbers make sense- for finish line and checking in for field events

They make no sense:
(1) FAT rules out numbers at finish line
(2) $$$ increase the price of every jersey by $2-3
(3) We are the only STATE that does it.
(4) National Federation does not condone the use.
(5) Changing numbers online and at the beginning of the meet is a waste of time. I spend 2-4 hours dealing with number changes this past week.

**My biggest complaint are the officials. Some are power hungry old men looking to DQ kids. They stand at the finish line with the gun trying to DQ kids. Most are good old boys. But half the time they aren't paying attention and the other half love the conflict with the coaches.
Old 05-18-17, 08:30 AM
Freshman

JOSP is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuclidandViren View Post
Numbers make sense- for finish line and checking in for field events

They make no sense:
(2) $$$ increase the price of every jersey by $2-3
(5) Changing numbers online and at the beginning of the meet is a waste of time. I spend 2-4 hours dealing with number changes this past week.

**My biggest complaint are the officials. Some are power hungry old men looking to DQ kids. They stand at the finish line with the gun trying to DQ kids. Most are good old boys. But half the time they aren't paying attention and the other half love the conflict with the coaches.
This^^
Old 05-18-17, 10:11 PM
All Ohio

Run4Life is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
I don't have a problem with the number, but what difference does it make to use the three digit system, it has never made sense that every 10 schools repeat, why not just let all the teams use the 00-99 and no same in the same event?
Old 05-19-17, 06:07 AM
All Ohio

Altor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuclidandViren View Post
They make no sense:
I put an IdentiLynx camera down the frontstretch and read the numbers on their back as they finish, especially if there are no "hip numbers" available.

Quote:
Meets in other states hand out bibs to pin on. Y'all would be complaining about that every week if coaches had to deal with that.

Quote:
Bologna. The NF authorizes the Games Committee to assign numbers. Ohio just decided to make it mandatory.
Old 05-19-17, 11:11 AM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure that Euclid understands the meaning of Condone.

What is the necessity for numbers in Football? There is a need in Basketball and Soccer, but are they really necessary in Baseball?

I'm sure it helps when collecting uniforms.
Old 05-20-17, 01:37 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
Football: recognition for penalties (though in high school I don't think reporting verbally with a number is required) as well as eligible/ineligible (i.e. offensive linemen are numbers 50-79, I don't know for sure that high school has the five players on field on offense must be 50-79 that college does).

Baseball: the rules require each players position, number, and name appear on the lineup card. numbers are used for player identification (i.e. batting out of order, substitutions, ejections)