Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-14-17, 08:08 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Nice win today - off a pitcher that had started the year with 5 very good outings..

Just a guess, but I don't think we will see Santana leading off again for a while.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-17, 09:02 AM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
It was a good win, after what had been a truly lousy start to the weekend. The Tribe looked dead in the water the first two games against Minnesota. The new lineup got some quality hacks in against Hector Santiago, a decent lefty who's off to a very good start (despite his hot start, Santiago is just OK; we're not talking Chris Sale or Clayton Kershaw here). Kipnis had his best day of the season, with four hits, including his first two HRs of the season, plus four RBI. Chizz and Carlos Santana also went yard.

Trevor Bauer had perhaps his best start of 2017, putting up zeros until running out of gas in the middle innings. He's still hasn't put six straight effective innings together, so there's still beaucoup room for improvement. I want to see Trevor go out and dominate for six or seven, just as Carrasco and Kluber usually do. Bauer has as much talent as those two. But his brain keeps getting in the way of his golden arm and screwing it up for him.
Old 05-15-17, 09:26 AM
All Yappi

I wondered why Daniel Robertson had been called up from Columbus and not Tyler Naquin. Then I learned that Naquin is on the DL in C-bus. I'm not sure what sort of injury he suffered, nor how long he'll be out. If it were serious, however, we'd have heard something about it. He was batting .396 in the International League.

Bradley Zimmer is on a hot streak in Columbus. He's now batting .294 with five HRs and 14 RBI. He's got 43 Ks in 146 plate appearances, so his strikeout percentage is falling, at least somewhat.

Danny Schaefer, an outfielder who got a lot of playing time in spring training, has eight homers and 26 RBI, but he's batting .268 for the Clippers.

Francisco Mejia has cooled a bit in Akron. He's hitting .293, with a homer and eight RBI. I believe that he's out with an injury right now.
Old 05-15-17, 02:56 PM
All Region

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
... Hector Santiago, a decent lefty who's off to a very good start (despite his hot start, Santiago is just OK; we're not talking Chris Sale or Clayton Kershaw here).
Thanks for clearing that up. So Santiago is not one of the 3 best pitchers in baseball? In the unlikely event that someone on this thread knows nothing about baseball, you have helped that person.
Old 05-15-17, 03:36 PM
All Ohio

simkon is on a distinguished road
I found this on Naquin:
Quote:
The outfielder was taken out of Tuesday's game due to lower-back tightness, but that issue appears to be more of a concern than initially thought. So he more than likely will be on the shelf for an extended period, which is an unfortunate development for Naquin, as he was tearing up the International League (.396/.441/.528).
Also on Brandon Guyer
Quote:
Guyer (wrist) is expected to miss six weeks due to his left wrist sprain.
Kluber
Quote:
Kluber (back) will throw off a mound today, but remains without a timetable for returning to MLB action Jordan Bastian reports.
Almonte
Quote:
Almonte (shoulder) is not in the lineup for Friday's game against the Twins and is officially listed as Day to Day. Expect him to most likely sit for at least a few games.
Mejia
Quote:
Mejia (groin) was placed on the 10-day disabled list at Double-A Akron on Thursday due to groin soreness.
Old 05-16-17, 07:07 AM
All Yappi

How awesome is this ?

Old 05-16-17, 09:15 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
Thanks for clearing that up. So Santiago is not one of the 3 best pitchers in baseball? In the unlikely event that someone on this thread knows nothing about baseball, you have helped that person.
Well, I guess that means I've helped you figure things out.
Old 05-16-17, 09:29 AM
All Yappi

Terry Francona told reporters last night that Carlos Carrasco's injury is not serious, that it's just a sore left pectoral muscle. He added that he'd know more today. No word yet on the extent of the injury.

Abraham Almonte will go on the disabled list today after re-injuring his bicep last night. No word on his replacement, but this might be Bradley Zimmer's shot at the majors. Either Zimmer or Danny Schaefer would be next in line.

Losing Guyer for a possible six weeks is a real blow. There goes the Tribe's righty platoon in right field. Apparently, the wrist has been bothering Guyer for some time. Now we know why he's been hitting .168. Nothing slows down a hitter more than a wrist injury.

We might be seeing Lonnie Chisenhall get more playing time vs. left-handed pitching. Actually, I believe his BA against lefties isn't too bad, though it's a small sample size. I've always considered Chizz an underachiever, but he's really swung the bat well so far this year. Maybe he's finally putting it together.
Old 05-16-17, 02:42 PM
All Ohio

JoeCool is on a distinguished road
Zimmer got the call, let's see what the young man can do.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-17, 08:44 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
How awesome is this ?

Boink!
Old 05-17-17, 09:01 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
How awesome is this ?

We'll see that on a sports bloopers video sometime in the future.
Old 05-17-17, 09:20 AM
All Yappi

Danny Salazar did his best Kane Davis impersonation last night, serving up four big, fat home run pitches to the Rays in last night's 6-4 loss. Tampa Bay batters looked as if they were hitting off a tee. On the bright side, Danny SplitChange didn't add to his league-leading walk total. He must have been focused on throwing strikes. And that's what he did. Right down the middle. Right in batters' happy zones.

Salazar had better get straightened out in a hurry, or the Indians aren't going anywhere this year. Especially since Trevor Drone is still trying to find himself. Bauer did look somewhat better in his last start. Josh Tomlin has been pitching well lately and Corey Kluber is mending quickly. He should be back soon. Oh, and no DL for Carrasco. His injury is just a tweak. So, there's some good news along with the bad.

Encarnacion got two hits last night, including a tater. Let's hope that means he's got his mojo back. Kipnis is starting to look like Kipnis again and Gomes, dare I say, has been raking lately.

But Brantley's been kinda lukewarm lately, and Lindor and Jose Ramirez are scuffling. Lindor has hit .300 from the moment he broke into the bigs, but he's barely over .270 now. Ramirez has gone from .330 to .280 in about two weeks. If those two get going, the Tribe's lineup will be fine.

Indians are 20-18. It's easy to forget, but they were 26-24 after 50 games last year, and 35-30 before starting their 14 game winning streak. I know something seems off right now, but these guys have track records. Sooner or later, they'll start hitting.

For the pitching? Maybe Bauer and Salazar need a voodoo shaman. One who looks like JoeVoo.
Old 05-17-17, 09:24 AM
All Yappi

For those who don't remember Kane Davis, he's the worst pitcher ever to wear an Indians uniform. He was so bad, even the 1999-2000 Tribe couldn't outscore his mistakes.
Old 05-18-17, 09:20 AM
All Yappi

Yesterday, it was Josh Tomlin who channeled his inner Kane Davis. The Little Cowboy collapsed in the second inning and couldn't survive the third, as the Rays battered the Indians, 7-4. Tomlin yielded a single to open the game, then struck out five straight Tampa Bay batters. He seemed poised for a dominant performance. But then it all fell apart. Four straight hits followed, the last of which was a three-run bomb by Corey Dickerson. Tomlin dished up another home run pitch before exiting in the third inning.

Bradley Zimmer provided the Tribe's few highlights. He doubled home a run in the third. It was his first big-league hit and RBI. Zimmer also crashed a home run in the ninth. The rookie has played only two games, and he's only nine RBI behind Edwin Encarnacion. Encarnacion went hitless one day after raising hopes with a two-hit performance.

I don't know what to say about the Tribe's starting pitching, except that things better turn around in a hurry, or this will be a lost season. Most of the starting lineup isn't hitting up to par. but the collapse of the rotation concerns me the most. The organization's best minor league pitcher is Mike Clevinger, who is already in the rotation. There's not much more help in Columbus. Ryan Merritt is the next best option, but he's been so-so. The Tribe's brightest pitching prospect, Triston McKenzie, is hurling in Class A ball at Lynchburg. He's two years away. The Indians need the guys they have to step up.

About Zimmer: I'm glad to see that he's had some immediate success. Just watch the kid play, and it's easy to see that he oozes talent. But he's still young and he hasn't had a chance to get much seasoning in AAA ball. He's still got some holes in his swing. It wouldn't surprise me if big league pitchers find and exploit them. Zimmer usually struggles with each promotion until he gets accustomed to the pitching. Then he finds his stroke. I expect that to happen with the Indians. But he sure has some tools, and he'll be a standout big-leaguer someday.

Last edited by Metacomet; 05-19-17 at 10:07 AM..
Old 05-18-17, 11:22 AM
All Region

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
I don't know what to say about the Tribe's starting pitching, except that things better turn around in a hurry, or this will be a lost season.
I came here expecting a Brian post. This is the next best thing. 20-19, one game back, its May 18th. Just breathe...

Most guys, barring injury or advancing age, will play to the level on the back of their baseball card. The lineup will start to hit. I'd expect Carrasco, Salazar, Tomlin and Bauer to level out. Getting big Kluber healthy is the key, and the Tribe will be fine.
Old 05-19-17, 09:22 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
I came here expecting a Brian post. This is the next best thing. 20-19, one game back, its May 18th. Just breathe...

Most guys, barring injury or advancing age, will play to the level on the back of their baseball card. The lineup will start to hit. I'd expect Carrasco, Salazar, Tomlin and Bauer to level out. Getting big Kluber healthy is the key, and the Tribe will be fine.
I see that I put a bug up your heinie. If you don't like what I have to say, then don't read my posts.

So you think that if the starting rotation continues to post the highest ERA in the American League, things will still be fine? Because that's were the Tribe's starters are ranked right now.

Last edited by Metacomet; 05-19-17 at 10:23 AM..
Old 05-19-17, 10:42 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Did you not read his post?
Old 05-21-17, 05:14 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat is on a distinguished road
Congrats on the sweep of the Stro's
Old 05-21-17, 08:25 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
Congrats on the sweep of the Stro's
Most definitely.
Old 05-22-17, 09:51 AM
All Yappi

Good weekend sweep for the Tribe. Bauer and Salazar, weren't great, but they were better than they've been. They've got to get better still. Bauer's command is improving; he's just got to stay out of the middle of the plate. Salazar still has command issues. Too many pitches out of the strike zone. Too many pitches in early innings. Dennis Manoloff of the PD wrote that he thinks Salazar needs another pitch; that he's reliant on the fastball and split change. Danny only throws his curve or slider a couple of times per game. Manoloff thinks Salazar needs to incorporate a third pitch into his repertoire and maybe needs to add something to his fastball; add a cut fastball, perhaps.

Some interesting observations by Manoloff. They may have some merit.
Old 05-22-17, 09:53 AM
All Yappi

Kipnis has raised his BA from .155 to .225 in about a week. He's back to the old Kipnis. Yan Gomes has raised his BA to .267.
Old 05-22-17, 10:55 PM
All Yappi

jtk has a little shameless behaviour in the past
swo>neo........lol

jtk
()
Old 05-23-17, 07:23 AM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Red s own chief wahoo.
Old 05-23-17, 08:15 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtk View Post
swo>neo........lol

jtk
()
Look who enjoyed his "world series". Must have been a big day for you !
Old 05-23-17, 08:20 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Personally, I don't even care that the Reds could still lose 95 games and still be better than the Indians this year.
Old 05-23-17, 08:44 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Sweet world series title 69 years ago
Old 05-23-17, 08:48 AM
All American

14Red is on a distinguished road
I'm a Reds fan, and I was surprised last night. The Reds are good offensively, defensively and have a dynamite bullpen. The starting pitching is the Achilles heel of this team, has been all season. Feldman really stepped up and pitched well. The 5 strikeouts and 9 overall is a real shocker, he's not generally a strikeout pitcher.
Tonight, you'll see one of our bright lights (we hope) of the future in Amir Garrett. Big lefty that has been up and down. Reds tried to cut his innings back and save a year of service by shutting him down a few weeks ago and it's not worked well. His first start back last weekend in Chicago was a disaster. Hopefully he gets into an early rhythm tonight.
Peralta/ Lorenzen/ Iglesias brings back memories of the Nasty boys of the 90's. The bullpen is a thousand times better from last year. The key for us is getting starters to go 6 innings or more.
Old 05-24-17, 10:43 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
don't flatter yourself. im a football fan. lol

i just thought it was a good showing for the redlegs and haven't posted much in a while to ridicule the mistake on the lake.

btw, the reds play harder than the indians.

jtk
()
Old 05-24-17, 10:45 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Red own Indians
Old 05-24-17, 10:52 PM
All Yappi

lol.....you could've said swo>neo and we would know the same. paul brown swo owns paul brow neo as well.

jtk
()

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: