Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-18-17, 10:30 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 27,935
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Is it time for a hard salary cap in the NBA ?

The NBA regular season is just looking like an exhibition any more. The Cavs and Warriors are supposed to be playing the best of the NBA in these playoffs, and both are undefeated. Emphatically so. It's getting close to Washington Generals territory for much of the NBA.

A hard salary cap like the NFL would make these all-star teams impossible, for the most part.

Look at what Bob Myers and Steve Kerr have been able to do BEFORE adding Kevin Durant. That team would likely have won it all each year until free agency salaries would blow it up. Transitioning to a hard salary cap and returning the draft order to strict W/L record league wide irrespective of playoff participation are both overdue.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 05-18-17, 04:00 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 2,206
14Red is on a distinguished road
The western conference is better than it's showing. Obviously the Spurs have had a couple of huge injuries that will make and impact on the conf finals. Houston had an injury in Nene that I think hurt their ability to compete with the Spurs in the last few games.
The east is just bad, hard cap or not, even most of the playoff teams in the east have large holes to fill.
The problem with the NBA now is that it's too young. There is such a push to get these 19-20-21 year olds in the league, they make so much money you HAVE to play them and teams never develop.
I'd also like to figure out a different way to do the draft where records don't have a bearing on who drafts first. Teams are now blatantly tanking games to get better drafts. That's just wrong. How about some formula with revenue sharing where the more games you win, you get a bigger cut of the total league revenue. That may keep teams from sitting their stars as well.

The league has also evolved into dribble drive, kick and shoot a bunch of 3's. I'd like to see the fouls tightened up. Reward guys who attack the rim and get into the lane. I'm ok with more free throws. I'd even say cut back to 5 fouls instead of 6. This would make guys either play defense, or not foul as often.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-18-17, 04:30 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 2,378
Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
The league has also evolved into dribble drive, kick and shoot a bunch of 3's. I'd like to see the fouls tightened up. Reward guys who attack the rim and get into the lane. I'm ok with more free throws. I'd even say cut back to 5 fouls instead of 6. This would make guys either play defense, or not foul as often.
Analytics show the most efficient offense is 3 pointers(specifically corner 3's) and drawing fouls. For this reason, the best offenses in the league tend to penetrate, and either finish, draw the foul, or kick out for a 3.The Cavs, Warriors, and Celtics all do this and the Rockets basically took it to a whole new level this year in terms of only shooting efficient shots.

The shot that's dead is the mid range jump shot. I'm not sure how you bring it back(or if you even want to) because all the numbers indicate it's a not the best way to play basketball. Now, maybe there will be a shift and teams will be willing to leave the long two pointer so wide open it turns into an efficient shot, who knows.

I personally don't think the league needs changed. Basketball is as good as it's ever been right now. But if I were to change anything, it would be fewer regular season games, maybe 72 instead of 82, allowing for fewer back to backs and making each game mean more. I'd also change the 1st rd back to a best of 5.

Obviously neither of those things will happen for monetary reasons though.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-21-17, 08:56 AM
TigerPaw TigerPaw is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-19-02
Posts: 9,226
TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Cabby I never took you for a socialist.

If you like parity and competition it does seem to work in sports though.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-21-17, 10:16 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 27,935
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
Cabby I never took you for a socialist.

If you like parity and competition it does seem to work in sports though.
Everything that is going on salary-wise is based off of a 51%-49% revenue-splitting mandate already

These superteams are creating a competition problem. If they want to be the "WWE-meets-Globetrotters" league, they are well on the way. Just keep going as they are...

Someone remind me again why Chris Paul was told he could not go to the Lakers again. I forget.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-21-17, 11:16 AM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 2,378
Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
The NBA has always been built around super teams. From 1980-2010 only 8 different teams won an NBA title.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-21-17, 05:23 PM
joesports joesports is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Posts: 2,270
joesports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
The NBA has always been built around super teams. From 1980-2010 only 8 different teams won an NBA title.
The NBA has been built around superstars ... with only 5 players on the floor, superstars have a greater impact on the game compared to MLB and NFL which have more players on the field ... thus teams with superstars win the NBA title most of the time.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-21-17, 06:14 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 67,269
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
Cabby I never took you for a socialist.

If you like parity and competition it does seem to work in sports though.
He voted for Obama twice and expressed support for universal healthcare.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-21-17, 06:48 PM
ronnie mund ronnie mund is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-13
Posts: 5,856
ronnie mund can only hope to improve
And said he wouldn't mind banning alcohol and tobacco. And then voted for Trump which indicates he has zero principles.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-21-17, 06:52 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 2,378
Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Don't forget he said he'd be in favor of banning high sugar foods.

chezadecaballo
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-21-17, 08:03 PM
ronnie mund ronnie mund is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-13
Posts: 5,856
ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Comrade cabez.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-21-17, 08:58 PM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 2,172
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesports View Post
The NBA has been built around superstars ... with only 5 players on the floor, superstars have a greater impact on the game compared to MLB and NFL which have more players on the field ... thus teams with superstars win the NBA title most of the time.
Correct, but what he said isn't wrong. Showtime Lakers and 80's Celtics each had 3 top 50 all time players. Jordan and Pippen later joined by Rodman (not an offensive superstar but defensive and rebounding superstar). Hakeem and Clyde. Stockton and Malone. Shaq and Kobe. Kobe, Pau and Bynum. Paul Pierce, KG and Ray Allen. LeBron, Wade, Bosh.

Outside the 2011 Mavs and 2004 Pistons I can't think of a team that didn't have a superteam to win. And even those Pistons had a bunch of really, really good players.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-22-17, 08:13 AM
joesports joesports is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Posts: 2,270
joesports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Correct, but what he said isn't wrong. Showtime Lakers and 80's Celtics each had 3 top 50 all time players. Jordan and Pippen later joined by Rodman (not an offensive superstar but defensive and rebounding superstar). Hakeem and Clyde. Stockton and Malone. Shaq and Kobe. Kobe, Pau and Bynum. Paul Pierce, KG and Ray Allen. LeBron, Wade, Bosh.

Outside the 2011 Mavs and 2004 Pistons I can't think of a team that didn't have a superteam to win. And even those Pistons had a bunch of really, really good players.
For the most part I agree ... my original comment was more about why only 8 teams won a championship since the 90s ... there are limited superstars, teams without one will not win a championship ... only one team with out a superstar has won a championship during that time (2004 Pistons) ... my question is how many "superstar" are there now? Players who give almost any team a chance of winning a championship. LeBron & ???? Is Curry good enough to take almost any team (or most average to good teams) to the championship? Durant?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-22-17, 08:29 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 27,935
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
You clone-clowns are pretty funny. Gonna make TP an honorary clone ?

Barkley on Mike & Mike right now has some great comments on the current lack of parity in the NBA and the ultimately inferior product it presents.

How many times did the Knicks or Cavs take the Bulls to 7 games before the Bulls advanced to the Finals ?

That was far more interesting basketball than what we've had in recent years.

Chuck blamed the media for the superteam stuff. "Y'all tell a guy like me, 'You can't be an all-time great because you never won a ring', and then you get Paul Pierce calling up Garnett or Lebron calling DWade or KD calling Curry. It's yo' fault."
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-22-17, 08:29 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 2,172
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesports View Post
For the most part I agree ... my original comment was more about why only 8 teams won a championship since the 90s ... there are limited superstars, teams without one will not win a championship ... only one team with out a superstar has won a championship during that time (2004 Pistons) ... my question is how many "superstar" are there now? Players who give almost any team a chance of winning a championship. LeBron & ???? Is Curry good enough to take almost any team (or most average to good teams) to the championship? Durant?
Ah, gotcha. Yeah outside of Wade and Dirk in 2006 and 2011 (and Wade had Shaq) really isn't anyone I can think of. And even then those were single years. Really not even the entire year just the playoffs. I agree with your original point.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-22-17, 08:39 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 27,935
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Correct, but what he said isn't wrong. Showtime Lakers and 80's Celtics each had 3 top 50 all time players. Jordan and Pippen later joined by Rodman (not an offensive superstar but defensive and rebounding superstar). Hakeem and Clyde. Stockton and Malone. Shaq and Kobe. Kobe, Pau and Bynum. Paul Pierce, KG and Ray Allen. LeBron, Wade, Bosh.

Outside the 2011 Mavs and 2004 Pistons I can't think of a team that didn't have a superteam to win. And even those Pistons had a bunch of really, really good players.
We've had more playoff sweeps in recent years than ever before. I never paid attention to the NBA before Christmas in adulthood, and always looked forward to the push for the playoffs....and then just to the playoffs........now the playoffs are at least half crap, and only the Finals look good.

The NBA's entire salary structure is based on the TV contract. Traditional pay TV is imploding. Who is going to continue to pay to watch non-competitive games ?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-22-17, 08:41 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 67,269
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
You clone-clowns are pretty funny. Gonna make TP an honorary clone ?

Barkley on Mike & Mike right now has some great comments on the current lack of parity in the NBA and the ultimately inferior product it presents.

How many times did the Knicks or Cavs take the Bulls to 7 games before the Bulls advanced to the Finals ?

That was far more interesting basketball than what we've had in recent years.

Chuck blamed the media for the superteam stuff. "Y'all tell a guy like me, 'You can't be an all-time great because you never won a ring', and then you get Paul Pierce calling up Garnett or Lebron calling DWade or KD calling Curry. It's yo' fault."
Once. The Knicks did it once and the Cavs did it zero times.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-22-17, 08:44 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 27,935
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Once. The Knicks did it once and the Cavs did it zero times.
OK. 6 games ?

Pistons ?

This was good basketball. http://www.nba.com/bulls/features/sa...liers-history/
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-22-17, 08:54 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 67,269
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
2016 had 4 series go to game 7, including the finals.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-22-17, 08:55 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 2,172
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
OK. 6 games ?
The Bulls lost 2 games in the playoffs in 1990-91.
1991-92, as ep pointed out, the Knicks took the Bulls to 7. The Cavs took the Bulls to 6. As did Portland.
1992-93 the Bulls swept Atlanta, swept Cleveland and the Knicks took them to 6.
In 1995-96 the Bulls lost 3 games in the playoffs. 1 in the Eastern conference playoffs. 2 to Seattle.
In 96-97 the Bulls lost once to Atlanta and once to Miami. Twice to Utah.
In 97-98 the Bulls swept New Jersey, lost one to Charlotte and the Pacers took them to 7. Utah took them to 6.

So to answer your questions: in the Eastern Conference playoffs with Jordan, the Bulls went to 7 games twice. 6 games twice.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-22-17, 08:55 AM
joesports joesports is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Posts: 2,270
joesports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
You clone-clowns are pretty funny. Gonna make TP an honorary clone ?

Barkley on Mike & Mike right now has some great comments on the current lack of parity in the NBA and the ultimately inferior product it presents.

How many times did the Knicks or Cavs take the Bulls to 7 games before the Bulls advanced to the Finals ?

That was far more interesting basketball than what we've had in recent years.

Chuck blamed the media for the superteam stuff. "Y'all tell a guy like me, 'You can't be an all-time great because you never won a ring', and then you get Paul Pierce calling up Garnett or Lebron calling DWade or KD calling Curry. It's yo' fault."
If memory serves me correct ... the first two round back then were either 3 games or 5 games ... and I remember the 76ers with Barkley taking the Bulls to a 5th (and deciding) game once.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-22-17, 09:02 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 67,269
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
1994 had seven series go to a deciding game and it was probably the least watched NBA post season ever.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-22-17, 09:08 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 67,269
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesports View Post
If memory serves me correct ... the first two round back then were either 3 games or 5 games ... and I remember the 76ers with Barkley taking the Bulls to a 5th (and deciding) game once.
Your memory failed you. Barkley's Sixers took the Bulls to 5 games twice (1990 and 1991), however those were both 7 games series.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-22-17, 09:28 AM
WinstonSmith WinstonSmith is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-11-16
Posts: 2,154
WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
ep killing it itt.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-22-17, 09:49 AM
joesports joesports is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Posts: 2,270
joesports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Your memory failed you. Barkley's Sixers took the Bulls to 5 games twice (1990 and 1991), however those were both 7 games series.
Should I change my name now that I was wrong? ... how about Taco-Shawn-Jim-Frank-Winston ... that way I don't have to stand behind anything I say?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-22-17, 10:15 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 2,172
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I'm also ep.

Still struggling with the whole "I was banned, didn't change my username" concept. Poor illiterate soul.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-22-17, 10:44 AM
Arrogate Arrogate is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Posts: 2,034
Arrogate is on a distinguished road
You degens. Who gets banned?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-22-17, 11:12 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 27,935
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
ep killing it itt.
He's having a good time with a few facts and stats, no doubt there. He's likely technically correct as well. I don't care enough to check him, which is kind of the point.

I've watched a ton of great play-off and regular season basketball over the years. This isn't it. If what's going on in the NBA today passes the eye test for e_p or anyone else, they're dumb.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-22-17, 11:14 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 67,269
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
He's having a good time with a few facts and stats, no doubt there. He's likely technically correct as well. I don't care enough to check him, which is kind of the point.

I've watched a ton of great play-off and regular season basketball over the years. This isn't it. If what's going on in the NBA today passes the eye test for e_p or anyone else, they're dumb.
Weirdo just called anyone who disagrees with him a dummy head. He should post his internet IQ score on here.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-22-17, 11:41 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 2,172
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
He's having a good time with a few facts and stats, no doubt there. He's likely technically correct as well. I don't care enough to check him, which is kind of the point.

I've watched a ton of great play-off and regular season basketball over the years. This isn't it. If what's going on in the NBA today passes the eye test for e_p or anyone else, they're dumb.
It's a multi-factor issue.
1) We just saw much of the "old guard" retire recently. Kobe, KG, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, Tim Duncan, etc.
2) The young guys aren't ready to make that step yet. Portland, Minnesota, Milwaukee, Jazz, etc.
3) Teams have been horribly mismanaged. Nets, Knicks, Kings, etc.
4) The Spurs are missing their best player.

There's a lot of good playoff series still. San Antonio went to game 6 in their first two series against Memphis and Houston. Utah and LAC went to game 7. Toronto and Milwaukee went to 6 as did Atlanta-Washington, Boston-Chicago. And Boston-Washington went to game 7.

That's 7 series this year thus far that have gone at least to game 6, which according to you earlier in this thread, is the standard for a good series. I'm not sure if the Spurs with Leonard would go to 5, 6 or even 7 games but you know it would be much more competitive. It remains to be seen how far the Cavs-Celtics series goes (although very likely ends in 5). And we will likely get at least 6, hopefully 7 games in the Finals. Yes, we know the likely two participants in the Finals are Cleveland and Golden State. That doesnt make the other series any less exciting or fun to watch.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz