Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-16-17, 09:15 AM
All Region

Bugsy8875 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinPista View Post
This was a new one to me I heard last night. I guess it is termed the "Gorilla Arm Balk". Where a pitcher has the ball in his pitching hand and it dangles. Any movement in the arm is considered a balk, even if it is before he is in the set position? The ump was great, did not call the balk, but told both coaches in between innings as both pitchers were doing it.

A) is this the correct interpretation and B) what can we tell our pitcher to fix it. Just let the arm hang and not move the ball? or rest his arm behind his back?
It moves, I call it.

One factor is also the level of baseball and pre-game meeting with the coaches about how strict balks are going to be called plays a role. Sounds like this umpire was doing some preventative umpiring.

As for fixing your pitcher, if this is something that he is used to doing, he needs to practice with it not moving or putting arm behind back. Just a little practice time. He will come across umpires at higher levels that will call it and you don't want that to happen in crucial situations.
Old 05-16-17, 10:01 AM
Junior Varsity

SinPista is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy8875 View Post
It moves, I call it.

One factor is also the level of baseball and pre-game meeting with the coaches about how strict balks are going to be called plays a role. Sounds like this umpire was doing some preventative umpiring.

As for fixing your pitcher, if this is something that he is used to doing, he needs to practice with it not moving or putting arm behind back. Just a little practice time. He will come across umpires at higher levels that will call it and you don't want that to happen in crucial situations.
14U, so it was a teaching moment. Follow up, could the pitcher have the ball in his glove and allow his arm to dangle and move? that way the ball is not moving?
Old 05-16-17, 10:16 AM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinPista View Post
14U, so it was a teaching moment. Follow up, could the pitcher have the ball in his glove and allow his arm to dangle and move? that way the ball is not moving?
Assuming that you are playing this game under NFHS rules, it does not matter whether or not the ball is in the pitcher's hand or in his glove. Any movement of the "gorilla arm" is an illegal act and should be penalized by calling a balk.

If the game is being played under Official Baseball Rules, the gorilla arm is legal, even if it swings.

Last edited by AllSports12; 05-16-17 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-22-17, 10:12 AM
Freshman

Gremlin35 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
We've had several threads like this in the various forums and we have a certified umpire that is willing to answer questions about the rules of the game. Feel free to ask the questions in this thread.
Bases loaded 2 outs runner on 3rd steal on the pitch. Ball is hit to shortstop and hits the baserunner but runner on third has already crossed the plate. Does the run count?
Old 05-22-17, 06:40 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin35 View Post
Bases loaded 2 outs runner on 3rd steal on the pitch. Ball is hit to shortstop and hits the baserunner but runner on third has already crossed the plate. Does the run count?
I believe, the ball is dead immediately. The runner from second is out for interference. Runner from third is returned to third (if less than 2 outs. doesn't score if interference is 3rd out). Runner from first awarded second, and the batter-runner awarded first (If less than 2 outs).

If ruled that intentional contact was made, additional outs may be awarded to the defense (if less than 2 outs).

I have never seen this happen, but I know it can. This one made me think and I feel pretty good about what I said. I may be wrong though. We shall see.
Old 05-23-17, 10:54 AM
All World

Quote:
I believe, the ball is dead immediately. The runner from second is out for interference. Runner from third is returned to third (if less than 2 outs. doesn't score if interference is 3rd out). Runner from first awarded second, and the batter-runner awarded first (If less than 2 outs).

If ruled that intentional contact was made, additional outs may be awarded to the defense (if less than 2 outs).

I have never seen this happen, but I know it can. This one made me think and I feel pretty good about what I said. I may be wrong though. We shall see.
Bugsy..... Take a look at rule 9-1 and then give your answer.....

EXCEPTION:

A run is not scored if the runner advances to home plate during action in
which the third out is made as follows:

a. by the batter-runner before he touches first base; or
b. by another runner being forced out; or
c. by a preceding runner who is declared out upon appeal because he failed to touch one of the bases or left a base too soon on a caught fly ball; or
d. when a third out is declared during a play resulting from a valid defensive appeal, which results in a force out (this out takes precedence if enforcement of it would negate a score); or
e. when there is more than one out declared by the umpire which terminates the half inning, the defensive team may select the out which is to its advantage as in 2-20-2. Credit the putout to the nearest designated baseman.
Old 05-23-17, 12:25 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
Bugsy..... Take a look at rule 9-1 and then give your answer.....

EXCEPTION:

A run is not scored if the runner advances to home plate during action in
which the third out is made as follows:

a. by the batter-runner before he touches first base; or
b. by another runner being forced out; or
c. by a preceding runner who is declared out upon appeal because he failed to touch one of the bases or left a base too soon on a caught fly ball; or
d. when a third out is declared during a play resulting from a valid defensive appeal, which results in a force out (this out takes precedence if enforcement of it would negate a score); or
e. when there is more than one out declared by the umpire which terminates the half inning, the defensive team may select the out which is to its advantage as in 2-20-2. Credit the putout to the nearest designated baseman.
Is that then a "Timing" play?
Old 05-23-17, 02:00 PM
All World

Quote:
Is that then a "Timing" play?
Time of Interference vs Time of Pitch.......

When is each applied?