Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-03-17, 05:55 PM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
Nike regional at LaVerne course

Can someone give me some insight on where the course is and where good places are to stay? Planning on a team trip post season.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-17, 07:15 PM
All Ohio

Altor is on a distinguished road
Lavern Gibson is east of the Terre Haute airport on Tabortown St. I'd bet hotels in TH are priced rather high, but you might find something. Greencastle, IN, is only 40-45 minutes away. They are a college town (Depauw), so I'd suspect they'd have something.
Old 10-03-17, 08:08 PM
All World

SOTT is on a distinguished road
Cool course. Fair course. Hotels in Terre Haute are probably booked solid. They go fast. The course itself sits out a ways at the Wabash Valley Family Sports Center.
Old 10-04-17, 06:19 AM
All American

Running Man 101 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
Can someone give me some insight on where the course is and where good places are to stay? Planning on a team trip post season.
The course is a more hilly, less smooth and slightly curvier version of Cedarville IMHO. It is not particularly fast. It is a real XC course compared to most of the OH sites we compete. More spectator friendly than Cedarville and much better parking, but kind of in the middle of nowhere.

Hotels might be tight in the low cost arena. Indy is not that far away, kind of like going to a normal SW OH meet.
Old 10-04-17, 06:57 AM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
Lavern Gibson is east of the Terre Haute airport on Tabortown St. I'd bet hotels in TH are priced rather high, but you might find something. Greencastle, IN, is only 40-45 minutes away. They are a college town (Depauw), so I'd suspect they'd have something.
Most of the hotels are actually in Cloverdale. Cloverdale is the area off of 70 before going north on 231 toward Greencastle/DePauw. I've had to stay in that area in the past. There are probably a few national chain hotels and perhaps a few independents. Don't expect there to be any good restaurants right there at that exit. There is probably some fast food, a diner, and maybe a few pizza joints. There isn't much around there.
Old 10-04-17, 10:11 AM
Freshman

GBR is on a distinguished road
We stayed at the Motel 6 in Cloverdale last year, it's about half an hour from the course and and easy drive. We ate dinner at a pizza place near the hotel the night before and at McDonalds across the road the next morning. We booked through travelocity and paid $59 with tax for the room (two queen beds). It was nice enough.
Old 10-04-17, 10:14 AM
Freshman

GBR is on a distinguished road
And actually, I just looked at my reservations from last year and I booked on October 5 last year so you should be okay.
Old 10-04-17, 12:12 PM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
There is a brand new Best Western at the Brazil exit which is closer to the course. I stayed there earlier this year and it is very nice.
Old 10-04-17, 05:36 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
And, you can stop at the candle place along 70 on the way and get some of your xmas shopping done.
Old 10-21-17, 12:11 PM
All World

said_aouita is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Man 101 View Post
The course is a more hilly, less smooth and slightly curvier version of Cedarville IMHO. It is not particularly fast. It is a real XC course compared to most of the OH sites we compete. More spectator friendly than Cedarville and much better parking, but kind of in the middle of nowhere.
^ Great description. To add: Lavern Gibson can go from not-as difficult to much more difficult, depending on the wind. The start/finish straightaway can be brutal.

The 1k mark is a gradual down hill. From the 2k past 4k mark is a few rolling hills.
Old 10-21-17, 07:24 PM
All Region

fanofrunning is on a distinguished road
Can be very satisfying from a spectator's point of view. Multiple opportunities to see your kid/athletes. Binoculars recommended. And if the weather is cold, dress for 20 degrees lower than the temperature. Good restrooms, and concessions.
Old 11-08-17, 09:39 AM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
Ohio has a strong contingent of guys and gals running this upcoming Sunday in Terre Haute.

The entries can be found here under the entries and results tab
Old 11-12-17, 04:15 PM
All Ohio

madman is on a distinguished road
Not a huge surprise, but Ohio boys take 4 of top 8 individual spots with Horter taking the win.

http://www.timingmd.net/Results/xc/n...individual.htm

Old 11-12-17, 04:20 PM
All Ohio

Ohio girls also take 4 of top 8 individual spots.

Note that top 5 individuals qualify for Nationals. Gigandet and Kreft just miss, taking 6th.

Old 11-12-17, 04:37 PM
All Region

fanofrunning is on a distinguished road
Watched the live stream. It couldn't have been easy to run 14:57, but Horter didn't look uncomfortable while doing it. Ran a very smart race. I hope the Foot Locker race is streamed as well.
Old 11-12-17, 06:16 PM
Varsity

xcountry315 is on a distinguished road
Tons of great performances from Ohio folks!

I believe Gigandet will go, as well. My understanding is that it is top five individuals not on a qualifying team who are invited. The girl in fourth was on a team qualifier, making Morgan the fifth individual.

That would put Kreft as a possiblity, too, if I understand the qualifying procedures. Danny Kilrea was second, but his team was third, and thus eligible for an at-large bid. Should they earn that, that would bump Kreft to fifth qualifier.
(Edit: Actually, after looking over this explanation, it appears I'm wrong on Kreft. It is top five individuals not on an automatic qualifying team are the qualifiers. Since the athlete I mentioned above would only qualify as a team if they gain an at Large berth, he would not be removed to bump up Kreft. http://nxn.runnerspace.com/eprofile....6&page_id=1322)

If I'm misunderstanding these procedures, I apologize.
Old 11-12-17, 07:10 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofrunning View Post
Watched the live stream. It couldn't have been easy to run 14:57, but Horter didn't look uncomfortable while doing it. Ran a very smart race. I hope the Foot Locker race is streamed as well.
Consitions were not ideal.
Old 11-12-17, 09:32 PM
All Ohio

Just looking at times, I would guess conditions were very similar to the State Championships, ~15 seconds slower than a typical "fast" course.
Old 11-13-17, 10:29 AM
Varsity

galesxc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
Just looking at times, I would guess conditions were very similar to the State Championships, ~15 seconds slower than a typical "fast" course.
The course was soft, but not sloppy or slick. Very little breeze. Mist, to intermittent light rain from about 10AM on... cooler than the State Meet (D1 race).

The course seems to drain well, maybe because it was built on reclamation lands. The start/finish "plateau" held some water in low spots, but course management folks did a nice job minimizing any trouble. It was surprising to see a large blower drying a softer area on Saturday... kitty litter in the same area helped on race day.

15 seconds is not unreasonable. Past experience in good conditions would put the course at maybe 5+ sec slower than NTR.

For some reason, the course runs much better than you might expect at first sight... it seems more intimidating when looking down from on top. The rolling inner loops seem to allow brief recoveries to ease the climb back to the top.

As always, a great season-ending experience to race at Lavern Gibson!
Old 11-13-17, 12:10 PM
All World

The last k and first K is super fast. The problem yesterday was that the tanget lines were bad so most runners ran wide. Likely adding 15 meters or so onto the course
Old 11-13-17, 07:41 PM
All World

It was quicker than I thought it would be but definitely slower than last year overall. I ran on it some both Saturday and Sunday and like others have said it was wet and soft but not super sloppy. Very impressed with, and proud of, the Ohio kids.
Old 11-14-17, 07:19 AM
All World

Ovreall a great experience for even midpack runners. THe place needs a better PA system.

Also could be a better event if they had more vending and food options. I couldnt believe that all they had at the merch tent was a few tshirts and sweatshirts. Hoodie for $70??? Come on Nike.

THey didnt announce one time that their elite Steeple chaser was there.

THey have a captive audience friday night. THey could do alot more for the kids. THey should have a coaches seminar and bring in a few speakers.
Old 11-14-17, 08:16 AM
All American

Running Man 101 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ovreall a great experience for even midpack runners. THe place needs a better PA system.

Also could be a better event if they had more vending and food options. I couldnt believe that all they had at the merch tent was a few tshirts and sweatshirts. Hoodie for $70??? Come on Nike.

THey have a captive audience friday night. THey could do alot more for the kids. THey should have a coaches seminar and bring in a few speakers.

Little bit of a debbie downer... I've only been there for college races and everything was fine for those. People can always do more and improve everything.
Old 11-14-17, 02:57 PM
All World

Quote:

They did announce that Colleen was at the race a couple times at least as I heard it. It's also kind of cool that her dad was there, coaching some of his runners.
Old 11-14-17, 06:41 PM
All World

said_aouita is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Should have gone to Footlocker, anyways.