Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-18-17, 11:24 AM
All American

Running Man 101 is on a distinguished road
typo
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-17, 11:48 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Man 101 View Post
Just downloaded the actual enrollment numbers by school. For the boys, there are roughly 198,356 grade 9-11. By your number breakdown.
D1 has 120,504 boys for 60.8% of total.
D2 has 50,980 boys for 25.7% of total.
D3 has 26,872 boys for 13.5% of total.

Seems to me there should be roughly equal number of boys per division not schools.

What really surprised me was that the Cinci (including Dayton) region has 8 of the top 11 largest schools in the state and 4 out of top 5 (Iggy is 3rd).
SW Ohio seems to be OK with having larger HSs. Central Ohio could throw a few large HSs up there (Hilliard, Dublin, Olentangy, and Westerville come to mind), but they prefer to build additional schools in order to keep them smaller and create more opportunities for their students (3 HSs means 3 varsity teams for each sport, 3 student councils, 3 school plays, etc, etc).
Old 09-22-17, 08:06 AM
All District

CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
The numbers are out. Big thing I noticed is the number of girls teams dropped from 659 to 633. Other than just less kids in schools I got to believe that spring soccer is part of the reason. Boys went up 5 to 690.

Biggest team move I see from distance point of view is both boys and girls for Lexington will now be D1 by just a couple students.

Quote:
Boys Track & Field
Division Enrollment Schools
I 300 and more 230
II 155-299 229
III 154 and less 231
Total Teams 690

Girls Track & Field
Division Enrollment Schools
I 298 and more 211
II 155-297 211
III 154 and less 211
Total Teams 633
Old 09-22-17, 08:22 AM
Junior Varsity

runner12345 is on a distinguished road
Carroll moved to D1, competing against the big SW schools now, with Centerville and Beavercreek having 3x as many students as them.
Old 09-22-17, 09:50 AM
All Ohio

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by runner12345 View Post
Carroll moved to D1, competing against the big SW schools now, with Centerville and Beavercreek having 3x as many students as them.
3x as many students in the school. But private schools draw the best kids from the surrounding areas. Often depleting resources and talent from the surrounding public schools.

Very similar to our immigration problem in the United States. The US is the best country with millions of people from around the globe trying to immigrate to our country. The real issue with immigration is that the US chooses to take (hand pick) legally the best and brightest from many countries: engineers, doctors, scientists, professors, etc... The US is actually doing a disservice to these countries because we are depleting them of their valuable resources, brightest minds and inventors.

I view the private schools in the same regard. Offering paid entrance to many students that can afford the tuition, but at the same time offering scholarships to athletes and smart kids that are in need.

So don't rant that a private school has to play up and play against the big boys. Because this is actually fair. Private schools should have to play up a division if not 2 divisions in most sports to make it fair.

Before anyone rants at me--I have boys and they all attend private schools. I teach at the local public school and understand that these private schools take the best and brightest from my local high school. If the private school does not beat up on neighboring public schools that is only the private schools fault -bad recruiting for so called religious and academic reasons.

Just like the United States. We should be better than every other country. Because we have the opportunity to take people from any country we want. Depleting that third world country of it's most valuable resource--it's best and brightest mind. A mind that could possibly help and change that country for the better.
Old 09-22-17, 10:07 AM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by runner12345 View Post
Dayton Carroll sits in the middle of about 10 DI schools. Is that unfair or is it unfair to teams like Anna, Spr. Northwestern and Milton who are DII and their school is next to a cornfield competing against Carroll.
Old 09-22-17, 06:59 PM
Freshman

LitOnFriday is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
Dayton Carroll sits in the middle of about 10 DI schools. Is that unfair or is it unfair to teams like Anna, Spr. Northwestern and Milton who are DII and their school is next to a cornfield competing against Carroll.
Just another reason to bring up the extra division debate again. But the jump from D2 to D1 is quite substantial, and it's not fair for most D2/D1 borderline schools but it is what it is

From what I remember though, Carroll doesn't even have a real track. We played them in football last year and they're still running on a gravel track. I've known their coach for years and he really runs a great program. They did do really good at D2 state last year, and it looks like they would've have had a good shot at the D2 title this year but D1 is a whole different level.
Old 11-07-17, 02:34 PM
All Region

billrodgers is on a distinguished road
http://ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Board-of-...mber212017.pdf

the board minutes approved from 9/17 still have different track cutoff numbers than what ohsaa site list
Old 11-07-17, 02:38 PM
Varsity

southernman is on a distinguished road
At its August 10 meeting, the Board approved divisional alignments and representation in the spring sport of boys tennis for 2018 and 2019; divisional alignments for boys lacrosse and girls lacrosse for 2018 and 2019, and divisional alignments and representation for baseball and softball for 2018. At this meeting, the Board was asked to approve the divisional alignments and representation for boys track & field and girls track and field for 2018 and 2019 as prepared by the OHSAA staff.
Boys Track and Field
Division I, 228 teams (293 males or more from October 2016 enrollments) Division II, 229 teams (151 to 292 males)
Division III, 228 teams (150 or less males)
Total Teams: 685
Representation from the district to the regional tournaments in boys track and field for 2018 and 2019 would be: Division I: Combined Central, two East schools (Dresden Tri-Valley and Zanesville) and three Southeast schools (Chillicothe, Logan and Marietta) 16; Combined Northeast and two East schools (Dover and New Philadelphia) 24; Northwest 8, and Southwest 16; Division II: Central 4; East 8; Northeast 20; Northwest 8; Southeast 8, and Southwest 16; Division III: Central 8; East 4; Northeast 12; Northwest 20; Southeast 8, and Southwest 12.
Girls Track and Field
Division I, 220 teams (287 females or more from October 2016 enrollments) Division II, 219 teams (147 to 286 females)
Division III, 220 teams (146 or less females)
Total Teams: 659
Representation from the district to the regional tournaments in girls track and field for 2018 and 2019 would be: Division I: Central 12; Combined East and Southeast 4; Northeast 24; Northwest 8, and Southwest 16; Division II: Central 4; East 8; Northeast 20; Northwest 12; Southeast 8, and Southwest 12; Division III: Central 8; East 4; Northeast 12; Northwest 24; Southeast 4, and Southwest 12.
Motion by Mark LaFon, second by Bob Britton to approve Old Business Items V. A., V. B. and V. C. as presented.
Motion passed 9-0.
Old 11-07-17, 05:00 PM
All District

CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by billrodgers View Post
http://ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Board-of-...mber212017.pdf

the board minutes approved from 9/17 still have different track cutoff numbers than what ohsaa site list
I think it is just sloppy work by whomever put the minutes together as the numbers in the minutes are the prior year cut-offs.
Old 11-07-17, 06:22 PM
Varsity

southernman is on a distinguished road
is the district representation to regionals correct or wrong also?