Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-26-17, 10:40 AM
All American

Maple Stang is on a distinguished road
Grant McCurry is a soph.
Old 08-26-17, 12:23 PM
All World

BIG ED is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
Come on, Solonites!! I know you people read this stuff. I'd like to see some feedback. I'm on an island here.
I know hurri is looking down with a big smile on his face. God rest his soul. He called me a year ago tomorrow with a raspy voice. It was the last time we would ever speak. Bob you are missed.
Old 08-26-17, 04:38 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
Come on, Solonites!! I know you people read this stuff. I'd like to see some feedback. I'm on an island here.
They may be lurking 'cause I think I just heard some snikkering.

Congratulations on what appears to have been a hard fought win. Best wishes on a successful season!

Last edited by EagleGuy; 08-26-17 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-28-17, 04:41 AM
All Region

jimbo is on a distinguished road
concerned

What condition is our kicking game in? Seems like we have lost our edge in this area over the last few years. This use to be one of our strong points since field position means everything.
Having a soccer player kick for the very first time is nerve racking!!!
Kickoffs and punting are weak as well..
How do we start grooming guys early in the program??

Go Comets!!
Old 08-28-17, 08:22 AM
All District

joelmama is an unknown quantity at this point
But faced with a similar situation with about eight minutes left, Solon called on Rutsky, fresh from the soccer team, who drilled the FG that put the Comets ahead to stay.

Saying that he drilled that FG might be a little bit of an over statement
Old 08-28-17, 12:07 PM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Stang View Post
Grant McCurry is a soph.
Yeah, I know Grant is a soph. My brain meant to say Ryan but my fingers typed Grant. Grant. Ryan. Jake. There are just so many McCurrys. Now there's a McCurry girl cheerleading for the freshman team.

Go easy on me, Stang. I've got a family history of dementia. I fear that I'm losing touch with reality.
Old 08-28-17, 12:28 PM
All Yappi

According to the school website, Solon out-gained Aurora, 256 yards to 193. I didn't think the Greenmen had that many. Solon's stats have Cartellone going 12-for-18. The PeeDee gave him 15 completions, but they must have added on Caver's. Wilks had 112 yards rushing on 28 attempts. Bubonics and Wilks each had five catches. Mowry had a team-high 12 tackles. Andrew Mason had two of Solon's three INTs. Bubonics had the other.

Aurora was a good team, but Solon made it a closer game than it should have been because of its reluctance to kick extra points, plus the short field goal, and by the penalties that cost the Comets a pick six. It probably should have been a 10-point game.
Old 08-28-17, 12:34 PM
All Yappi

This Friday, it's on to Twinsburg for a game in the Tigers' den. Solon has hammered T-burg by a combined 77-7 the last two years, but this year's Tigers are much improved. T-burg has a good junior QB and a couple of big-time receivers. T-burg will test the Comet defense with some serious speed.

Solon's got the weapons on offense to take Twinsburg's defense apart, but the Comets need to find their attack mode. The offense spent too much time probing against Aurora. The Comets need the confidence to start going for the kill, metaphorically speaking.
Old 09-02-17, 02:19 PM
All Yappi

Solon can thank J.T. Caver for last night's 26-21 victory at Twinsburg. Caver directed all four Comet touchdown drives, then sealed the win with a late interception that he returned to the Tigers' 2-yard line. Solon improved to 2-0, while T-burg fell to 1-1.

The Comet offense stalled for most of the first half. Solon couldn't get either the running or passing game going. But Caver, the backup QB who also stars at safety, came on for the Comets third offensive possession and found junior WR Trevon Raphael deep for a 64-yard TD pass. Solon took that 7-0 into halftime, as the offense went back into hibernation.

Early in the third quarter, Comet QB Joe Cartellone got sacked and fumbled inside Solon's 10-yard line. Twinsburg recovered and quickly scored the tying TD.

Caver took over at QB on Solon's next possession, and remained the QB for the rest of the game. J.T. directed three TD drives. With Caver at the helm, the offense played with confidence and efficiency. The team looked quicker; the line even blocked better. Thomas Wilks, a non-factor in the first half, exploded for TD runs of nine and 80 yards.

But the Tiger offense kept fighting back. Isaiah Savitt caught a nine-yard TD pass from QB Adam Van De Motter early in the fourth period.

But Caver came through again for Solon, finding Raphael on a quick slant and Trevon took it to the house for a 26-14 lead.

T-burg answered with a 48-yard TD pass from Van De Motter to Christian Edgerson.

The Tigers got the ball back late with enough time to steal the game from Solon. But Caver's pick saved the day. Intially, Caver appeared to cross the goal line with the pick. But an official ruled that he stepped out of bounds at the two. Nearly two minutes remained on the clock but since the Tigers were out of timeouts, Solon went into victory formation and ran out the clock.

Caver's insertion at QB has the look of permanence. He took over after Solon's first possession of the second half blew up and he remained at QB the rest of the game. He also played every series at safety. The Comet offense looked markedly better with Caver at the controls. J.T. looked good both trowing and running. His speed gave the offense a new dimension.

Wilks and Raphael deserve credit too, for making game-turning plays. Three of Solon's four TDs came from long distance and each one made Twinsburg's uphill climb that much steeper.

Solon's defense was outstanding for the first three quarters, then got torched for a couple of big plays in the fourth quarter. T-burg nearly scored on its first possession of the game until the Comets forced a turnover. From that point, Solon stoned the Tiger offense for the next three quarters. T-burg's first TD came on an eight-yard drive after a Solon fumble.

I was disappointed to see the Comets give up some big plays late but the Tigers have some outstanding talents, most notably WRs Edgerson and Tre Radford. Van De Motter and RB Cam'ron McClain are standouts, too.

And Solon played shorthanded in the secondary. Star CB Taj Ward played briefly in the first half, then remained on the bench in the second half. It seems that he's still not completely healthy. If Taj is on the corner, maybe he makes a play on one or two of those deep passes.

Solon also took a hit with David Marbury's injury. He left in the second half and was carted off the sideline. I'm not sure of the extent of the injury but it didn't appear to be mild. His void meant that Nate Leskovec had to remain at DE. Nate couldn't slide over to tackle. Yusef Russell moved in at tackle while Nate played end.

According to the Beacon-Journal, Solon gained 144 yards rushing in 36 carries. The Comets went 10-of-17 through the air for 203 yards. T-burg had 36 carries for 98 yards and completed 12-of-27 passes for 237 yards. Two-thirty-seven??? Yikes!!!

I'm worried about Marbury and Ward. Taj will make the team better on both sides of the ball when he returns. Marbury is a force on defense and his absence chips away at Solon's depth. In addition, his blocking as the H-back is vital to the Comet's successful ground game. I'm not sure anyone on the roster can do it as well.

I think Twinsburg is a pretty good team, much better than most people probably realize. T-burg has a tough schedule, which might cost them a playoff spot later on. But they're probably at least a 7-3 team.

Solon's special teams still need a lot of work.

Comets visit Stow next week. It's one of this season's key games. Solon has lost each of the last two years to the Bulldogs.

Go Comets!!!

Last edited by Metacomet; 09-06-17 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-02-17, 07:38 PM
All Region

Game 2

Thanks for the great details Meta.
I think we are going to have trouble each week and
Injuries are going to be a big reason.
Big game this week.
Go Comets!!
Old 09-06-17, 09:56 AM
All Yappi

I'm told that Marbury will be out anywhere from three to six weeks. It just depends on how quickly he heals. I don't want to get into specifics about the injury on an open forum. It's unfortunate that this occurred just a week before Solon's big showdown with Stow.

Hopefully, Marbury will be back by Week 7 for Solon's key league games with Euclid and Mentor.
Old 09-10-17, 07:19 AM
All American

Maple Stang is on a distinguished road
Solon lost to Stow 17-14. The game was pretty exciting. Could play this 10x and I believe each would go 5-5. I really am disappointed in one area. The officiating. I cannot tell you how many times we saw jerseys being pulled by Stows off. line. With officials right on top of it. I don't want to say that is what determined the game because I do not choose to take away from Stows effort. They played well. QB is real deal. All I'm saying is if you see it, you've got to call it. And if they didn't see it, they weren't doing their job very well. I know, I know....blame the officials. Congrats to Stow! Good luck rest of the way!
Old 09-10-17, 11:13 AM
Freshman

flyeaglesfly is on a distinguished road
go comets
Old 09-10-17, 11:18 AM
Freshman

flyeaglesfly is on a distinguished road
can the comets beat strongsville? how does that game look? heading home for that one
Old 09-10-17, 05:12 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Solon main problem a bad coaching staff.
Old 09-10-17, 06:16 PM
Junior Varsity

Friday night light is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
When Solon is loaded with talent the head coach is considered a legend. In the years when they have struggled some he's a bum. Can't have it both ways but Solon has had a lot more ups than downs so I'm sure they are doing something right.
Old 09-10-17, 07:04 PM
All World

tom 48 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Just for the record, how's Nordonia doing this year? 0-3? Bad coaching?
Old 09-10-17, 07:13 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Yes nordonia coaches are horrible.
Old 09-11-17, 08:47 AM
All Region

Ugh

Kicking game continues to haunt us.
I think we only had 5 first downs??? Double ugh.
Old 09-11-17, 01:01 PM
All District

Thunderstruck2652 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Agreed 100%. Sometimes getting straight to the point is better than mincing words in an effort to be politically correct. Solon has had remarkable consistency at HC, with only two Head Coaches in the last 20+ years. Although it isn't McQuaide's fault, the standard set by his predecessor was that the floor of the team in terms of performance was making it to the second round of the playoffs with the ceiling being making it to the state finals, and along the way they also made it to the state semi-finals. Making it at least to the regional finals was the barometer by which success was generally being measured. They beat a lot of really good teams along the way.

Under McQuaide, the team has never won the region and losing to middling teams like Stow, Euclid and Aurora has become par for the course. With apologies to those teams because I know that they've all at least made appearances in the playoffs in recent years, the previous standard at Solon was that the idea of losing to any of those team was so unthinkable that it would have been an embarrassment to the school.

Point blank, If given the choice right now was between staying the course or a change at the top of the coaching staff, count me in among those advocating for change. Ask Mentor's fans whether they'd trade their three title game appearances and a handful of bad years for a 7-3 record and getting bounced in the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs every year like Solon has ever since McQuaide took over.

The problem is that McQuaide has never established a clear barometer for what a successful year is even supposed to look like - he could have easily reemphasized the same standards that existed when he took the job - so what has happened is everybody has gotten used to feeling good about beating the teams that they're supposed to beat, losing to the teams that are toss-up games and then patting each other on the back after the same results year after year with no signs of improvement. For all of McQuaide's efforts, the team has clearly been supplanted by several other public school programs in the area - an honest assessment is that he's great at doing the "Rah-Rah" motivational quips but is a fundamentally bad football coach both in terms of giving his players solid individual training and developing a game plan/identity for the team. For all of the money and resources that the school invests in their football program, even a bad coach could lead the team to 7 wins every year which is basically what's happening right now.

Last edited by Thunderstruck2652; 09-12-17 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-12-17, 12:00 AM
All Region

stoike is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck2652 View Post
Agreed 100%. Sometimes getting straight to the point is better than mincing words in an effort to be politically correct. Solon has had remarkable consistency at HC, with only two Head Coaches in the last 20+ years. Although it isn't McQuaide's fault, there's only one person existing to which his performance can be compared to, his predecessor Byron Morgan.

Under Morgan, the floor of the team was making it to the second round of the playoffs with the ceiling being a D1 State Finals appearance. Additionally, the team made it to the state semi-finals one other time and knocked Eds, Ignatius and Glenville out of the playoffs on one or more occasion along the way. Making it at least to the regional finals (final eight teams in the state) was the standard.

Under McQuaide, the team has never won the region and losing to middling teams like Stow, Euclid and Aurora has become par for the course. With apologies to those teams because I know that they've all at least made appearances in the playoffs in recent years, the previous standard at Solon was that the idea of losing to any of those team was so unthinkable that it would have been an embarrassment to the school, and consequently it never happened.

Point blank, If given the choice right now was between staying the course or a change at the top of the coaching staff, count me in among those advocating for change. Ask Mentor's fans whether they'd trade their three title game appearances and a handful of bad years for a 7-3 record and getting bounced in the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs every year like Solon has ever since McQuaide took over.

The problem is that McQuaide has never established a clear barometer for what a successful year is even supposed to look like - he could have easily reemphasized the same standards that existed when he took the job - so what has happened is everybody has gotten used to feeling good about beating the teams that they're supposed to beat, losing to the teams that are toss-up games and then patting each other on the back after the same results year after year with no signs of improvement. For all of McQuaide's efforts, the team has clearly been supplanted by several other public school programs in the area - an honest assessment is that he's great at doing the "Rah-Rah" motivational quips but is a fundamentally bad football technician both in terms of giving his players solid individual training and developing a game plan/identity for the team. Zero accountability for the on-field performance of his team.
Calling those teams, especially Stow and Aurora "middling" shows a great deal of foolishness. Not even CLOSE to middling the last 2-3 seasons. Taking it easy on you, but.....
Old 09-12-17, 08:25 AM
All District

Thunderstruck2652 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoike View Post
Calling those teams, especially Stow and Aurora "middling" shows a great deal of foolishness. Not even CLOSE to middling the last 2-3 seasons. Taking it easy on you, but.....
You're missing my point. Again, no disrespect intended toward either of those teams however under the previous coaching staff it really wouldn't have mattered what the quality of those teams were. For a 7-8 year window from the mid-90's until 2003, Solon was just better. They were hands down the best public school program in the area for most of that time until Glenville and Mentor began to come on right around 2002. They were always extremely well coached, to the extent that during the time that Morgan was in charge the team was humiliating pretty much all of the other public schools in the area. They'd have crushed the Stow team by 3-4 Touchdowns that the 2017 Comets just lost to.

All that I'm saying is that the standards have dropped since McQuide took over and it's fair game to question whether the program is ever going to return to previously achieved levels of excellence for as long as the status quo remains in place.
Old 09-13-17, 06:15 AM
All Region

coaching?

Thunder,
To be fair, there are alot of reasons for Solon's lack of dominance. Declining enrollment in the city, guys trying out for football trending downward, student population made up of guys that dont play, etc.
The coaching staff can only work with what comes into the program.
Many public schools are facing some of the same issues.
Throw in some key injuries each season, Solon struggles to fill those spots.
I just think there is more to how our team does than just coaching..

Continuing to be a proud supporter... GO COMETS!!
Old 09-13-17, 11:38 AM
All District

bmss17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Agreed 100%. Sometimes getting straight to the point is better than mincing words in an effort to be politically correct. Solon has had remarkable consistency at HC, with only two Head Coaches in the last 20+ years. Although it isn't McQuaide's fault, the standard set by his predecessor was that the floor of the team in terms of performance was making it to the second round of the playoffs with the ceiling being making it to the state finals, and along the way they also made it to the state semi-finals. Making it at least to the regional finals was the barometer by which success was generally being measured. They beat a lot of really good teams along the way.

Under McQuaide, the team has never won the region and losing to middling teams like Stow, Euclid and Aurora has become par for the course. With apologies to those teams because I know that they've all at least made appearances in the playoffs in recent years, the previous standard at Solon was that the idea of losing to any of those team was so unthinkable that it would have been an embarrassment to the school.

The problem is that McQuaide has never established a clear barometer for what a successful year is even supposed to look like - he could have easily reemphasized the same standards that existed when he took the job - so what has happened is everybody has gotten used to feeling good about beating the teams that they're supposed to beat, losing to the teams that are toss-up games and then patting each other on the back after the same results year after year with no signs of improvement. For all of McQuaide's efforts, the team has clearly been supplanted by several other public school programs in the area - an honest assessment is that he's great at doing the "Rah-Rah" motivational quips but is a fundamentally bad football coach both in terms of giving his players solid individual training and developing a game plan/identity for the team. For all of the money and resources that the school invests in their football program, even a bad coach could lead the team to 7 wins every year which is basically what's happening right now.
C'mon, there's no way you can make those blanket statements like that...to blame the coaching staff is crazy, especially when so many coaches have been around for so long; a decent amount even during the Morgan era.

For most of Morgan's tenure, the team was either in the CVC or the WRC North, two divisions which nowhere near as competitive as the WRC or the GCC. Sure, he had Chardon to contend with in the CVC, but that was it. Everyone knows that McQuaide's first year, the talent level from those teams of the late 90s/early 2000s dropped CONSIDERABLY. Yea, Morgan made a DI state final, and you cannot take that away from him. But the demographics change has absolutely had an impact...it's much more diverse, with many subgroups not playing football; and going from DII, to DI, to mega DI.

Look at the baseball team as a prime example: the past four-five years, they never won a playoff game. Then in 2016, they made it to states. Talent matters. The level of consistency (11 playoff appearances in 13 years) still makes it one of the top two programs in NEO public schools, along with Mentor. You made the point yourself when you said that Glenville and Mentor started to emerge just as Morgan left and McQuaide came in to be the HC.
Old 09-14-17, 09:57 PM
All Region

stoike is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You're missing my point. Again, no disrespect intended toward either of those teams however under the previous coaching staff it really wouldn't have mattered what the quality of those teams were. For a 7-8 year window from the mid-90's until 2003, Solon was just better. They were hands down the best public school program in the area for most of that time until Glenville and Mentor began to come on right around 2002. They were always extremely well coached, to the extent that during the time that Morgan was in charge the team was humiliating pretty much all of the other public schools in the area. They'd have crushed the Stow team by 3-4 Touchdowns that the 2017 Comets just lost to.

All that I'm saying is that the standards have dropped since McQuide took over and it's fair game to question whether the program is ever going to return to previously achieved levels of excellence for as long as the status quo remains in place.
Solon should have won this game against Stow.
Old 09-15-17, 08:55 AM
All Region

heads up

Looks like the Euclid game will be the first game in their new stadium on 10/06.
Talk about a trap game!!

BTW.. Where are you Meta??

Go Comets!!
Old 09-15-17, 10:08 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
Looks like the Euclid game will be the first game in their new stadium on 10/06.
Talk about a trap game!!

BTW.. Where are you Meta??

Go Comets!!
I work two jobs, so I haven't had a chance to post. I worked all last weekend. I'll try to post a report on the Elyria game tomorrow. And I'll try to address some of the discussion regarding the Stow game.
Old 09-15-17, 10:13 AM
All Yappi

The freshman and JV teams are both 3-0, by the way. Because of my work schedule, I haven't seen either team play.
Old 09-16-17, 09:43 AM
All Yappi

Solon beat Elyria last night, 33-6. The score looks good in print but it doesn't tell the true story of the game. Thanks to some inept offense and special teams, the Pioneers handed Solon three touchdowns. For the third time in four games, the Comets generated little offense. Solon scored two offensive touchdowns, both coming on the first play after taking over possession. The Comets still can't sustain a drive.

Solon trailed, 3-0, from the middle of the first quarter until about three minutes left in the second. It was the defense that got the Comets on the scoreboard. Ryan McCurry picked off a pass and ran it in to the end zone from 30 yards out. The Comets went for two and missed.

After Elyria went three-and-out, Solon got the ball back and scored on the first play. J.T. Caver replaced Joe Cartellone at QB and found WR Trevon Raphael for a 53-yard catch-and-run. This time Solon kicked the extra point.

Elyria kicked a FG at the end of the half to make the score 13-6.

Solon's offense went back into hibernation in the third quarter as Cartellone, Caver and freshman Patrick McQuaide took turns at QB. The QBs weren't getting a lot of help. The O-line struggled to generate a running game, so much so that an assistant coach could be heard screaming challenges to his linemen after they came off the field.

But Solon soon put the game away with plenty of help from Elyria. The Comets blocked a punt that rolled into the end zone. Jack Miller fell on the ball for a TD. Moments later, a bad punt snap rolled into the end zone and Nick Close recovered it for a TD. Then, after another bad punt snap, this one a little further upfield, Solon took over at the Pioneer 27. On the next play, Thomas Wilks burst through the line for a TD.

For Solon fans, the best thing to take from this game is the fact that the defense was pretty solid. A few breakdowns on screens and a double pass, but the D kept the Pioneers from generating any momentum. Beaucoup negative yardage plays. Elyria always seemed to be in third-and-long. Nate Leskovec was his usual disruptive self, and got plenty of help from Jack Miller and Da'Veon Parker on the line, Zyon Mowry and Jeff Barnett at LB, and Caver, Taj Ward and McCurry in the secondary. Mowry, in particular, had a great game. Nick Close filled in at DE and got a pair of sacks.

While defense carried Solon to victory, offense remains a concern. Solon rotated three QBs last night, and even utilized a fourth at garbage time. It's difficult to be successful rotating two QBs. Playing three is a recipe for disaster. If Solon can't settle on a QB, this season will go right down the tubes. Right now, only one QB has shown he can get the offense rolling, and that's J.T. Caver. Regarding the freshman, McQuaide: I've heard good things about him. And yes, he's the coach's son. But this is still a playoff-caliber team. This team still has a lot of weapons. It also has a struggling O-line. That makes it tough for any QB, let alone a freshman. I just don't see how playing a frosh QB will cure the offense's ills. It also sends the message that the Comets are giving up on this year, and playing for the future.

Solon was lucky last night. Elyria is a bad team. At times, they looked like the Keystone Kops of football. They just might be the worst team in the GCC.

Last edited by Metacomet; 09-16-17 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-16-17, 09:57 AM
All Yappi

About the Stow game: Losing to Stow for the third straight year was tough to take. And all three of those games were winnable: in fact, Solon led in the second half of each, only to let them slip away. The offense was a train wreck. Five first downs? The most disturbing thing was the lack of organization and cohesion on offense. Solon had difficulty signaling plays in; the Comets were forced to call several timeouts just to get organized. So many players running in-and-out between plays, and there seemed to be confusion much of the time on who was supposed to be on the field at far too many instances.

The most egregious example was the fourth-and-two play from inside Stow's 40 late in the game. If the Comets convert a first down, they have a chance to win, or at least tie the game. At this point, Solon had only one TO left; they'd wasted two earlier. But this time, Solon didn't call a timeout, even though the play clock was winding down and players were still running on and off the field. Solon had to hurry to the line and the QB fired a wild pass that had no chance of completion. It was the play of the game and it was a disaster for Solon because they couldn't get organized, and because they were afraid to use their last time out. Inexcusable.

Last edited by Metacomet; 09-18-17 at 10:21 AM.