Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Soccer

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-12-17, 04:55 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Boys Soccer Scores (9/12)

Please post scores from Tuesday games here...
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-17, 08:24 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Fairfield 3
Colerain 0

Indians raise their record to 5 - 0 - 1.
Old 09-13-17, 06:39 AM
Varsity

Zgerman is on a distinguished road
Centerville over Lebanon 2-0
Old 09-13-17, 07:06 AM
Junior Varsity

Daytonsoccerfan is on a distinguished road
Chaminade Julienne 1
Roger Bacon 0
Old 09-13-17, 08:08 AM
All Region

Happygoluckky is on a distinguished road
Mason 3- Lakota West 2

Mason rallies from a 2-0 deficit to beat Lakota West 3-2
Old 09-13-17, 08:08 AM
All Region

iluvsnow is on a distinguished road
Bellbrook 1
Beavercreek 4

I attended this game. This is through the eyes of a Bellbrook fan, so for what it's worth. I took the night to think about this...but Beavercreek is a very serious contender for state champions in D-1. Big, extremely athletic and skilled. Play like a good college team. Bellbrook played a pack line defense and countered when they could. Were only down 2-1 half way through the second half...but wilted in the end. Creek is relentless. I have seen Centerville, Moeller, Carroll and others play this year...but Creek has my vote as top team in the state.
Old 09-13-17, 09:13 AM
Junior Varsity

Bearcat_phan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygoluckky View Post
Mason 3- Lakota West 2

Mason rallies from a 2-0 deficit to beat Lakota West 3-2
Mason's very good despite their record as they've got many talented players but the deciding goal was robbery as there is no way they should've benefited from a injured player. The ref should've given the LW keeper the ball back to restart play rather than give Mason a free indirect kick from 35 yards out...it was obvious the keeper was waiting for the ref to tend to the injured player and half heartedly kicked it to stop play. Thats a horrible restart rule as Mason shouldn't have benefited from an injury. That's a rule that needs change immediately, it's a shame that the decisive goal came on that play as the ref can't feel good about how that played out.
Old 09-13-17, 09:13 AM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Dayton area (from DDN)
Alter 4, Badin 1

Beavercreek 4, Bellbrook 1

Carroll 6, McNicholas 0

Madison 1, Dixie 1

Milton Union 5, Carlisle 0

Twin Valley South 3, Stivers 0

Other scores from various sources (mostly GVIEW's post on another thread):

West Liberty 7, Miami East 3
Troy Christian 5, Botkins 0
Troy 6, Xenia 0
Fairmont 1, Burg 0
Old 09-13-17, 09:24 AM
All Ohio

ammtd34 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_phan View Post
Mason's very good despite their record as they've got many talented players but the deciding goal was robbery as there is no way they should've benefited from a injured player. The ref should've given the LW keeper the ball back to restart play rather than give Mason a free indirect kick from 35 yards out...it was obvious the keeper was waiting for the ref to tend to the injured player and half heartedly kicked it to stop play. Thats a horrible restart rule as Mason shouldn't have benefited from an injury. That's a rule that needs change immediately, it's a shame that the decisive goal came on that play as the ref can't feel good about how that played out.
What happened here?
Old 09-13-17, 09:49 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammtd34 View Post
What happened here?
In club a dangerous free kick wouldn't have been awarded to Mason.....a drop ball restart would've ensued. If the ref were managing the game correctly he would've called TO before the LW goalie punted....it was obvious Mason's forward got injured colliding with the LW goalie. Mason got a fee kick from 30-35 yards out that they fed into the mouth of the goal and scored on....no foul was committed on the save....the restart was basically a bonus dangerous indirect free kick....dumb HS rule.
Old 09-13-17, 10:31 AM
All Region

Mason had the same thing happen in the Oak Hills game and the Ref explained that it is an Ohio HS rule.
Old 09-13-17, 10:42 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Mason had the same thing happen in the Oak Hills game and the Ref explained that it is an Ohio HS rule.
I'm not arguing the fact that it's a rule....I'm arguing the point as to why such a dumb rule was put in place. No way an injury should benefit a team one way or the other. In the case last night it benefited Mason.
Old 09-13-17, 10:44 AM
All District

2731 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm not arguing the fact that it's a rule....I'm arguing the point as to why such a dumb rule was put in place. No way an injury should benefit a team one way or the other. In the case last night it benefited Mason.
I think that rule is absolutely dumb too. But, punt the ball out of bounds maybe?

Edit... seriously I don't know... it's a dumb rule.
Old 09-13-17, 11:10 AM
All Region

Quote:
Agree.
Old 09-13-17, 11:12 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2731 View Post
I think that rule is absolutely dumb too. But, punt the ball out of bounds maybe?

Edit... seriously I don't know... it's a dumb rule.
In hind sight that would've been the best option....guess theyll play it differently if it happens again but that was an important GMC outcome....and it's disappointing that that play effected the outcome. Give Mason props for coming back down 2 with 22 minutes to go but the deciding goal wouldn't have occurred if reasonable rules were in place....i.e. Club rules.
Old 09-13-17, 11:17 AM
All Yappi

Sounds like a bad situation but its the same rules everyone plays under in HS. I wouldn't be as hung up about that one play as the fact that LW blew a 2 goal lead with 22 minutes left to play. THAT's the part they should be focusing on.
Old 09-13-17, 11:17 AM
All Ohio

phatneff is on a distinguished road
Or in a gamesmanship role, on the restart, kick the ball back to West's keeper, or even their own keeper? The referee can't tell the players how to play the ball on the restart, but it is an Ohio HS rule that when play is stopped for an injury, it is a drop ball restart unless one team has clear control of the ball at the time of the stoppage. Agreed it is a dumb rule, as are a lot of NFHS rules.
Old 09-13-17, 11:21 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
Sounds like a bad situation but its the same rules everyone plays under in HS. I wouldn't be as hung up about that one play as the fact that LW blew a 2 goal lead with 22 minutes left to play. THAT's the part they should be focusing on.
Very true....they're focused on that fact and hopefully they'll learn something from it...just hope this rule doesn't impact future games.
Old 09-13-17, 11:25 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatneff View Post
Or in a gamesmanship role, on the restart, kick the ball back to West's keeper, or even their own keeper? The referee can't tell the players how to play the ball on the restart, but it is an Ohio HS rule that when play is stopped for an injury, it is a drop ball restart unless one team has clear control of the ball at the time of the stoppage. Agreed it is a dumb rule, as are a lot of NFHS rules.
I feel as though that would've been the right thing to do ...play it to either one of the keepers...it's my thought that's how LW would've played the ball on a restart but that's not how they played it.
Old 09-13-17, 12:01 PM
All Region

Can't wait for Steelboot...4,3,2,1....
Old 09-13-17, 04:02 PM
All Ohio

CincyIllinifan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I feel as though that would've been the right thing to do ...play it to either one of the keepers...it's my thought that's how LW would've played the ball on a restart but that's not how they played it.
Well, I was with you up until this last post. Now you're insinuating that Mason took advantage and didn't do the "right" thing, while LW would have. Not sure that's an accurate or fair assumption.

I think it's fairly obvious that Mason is not as strong this season. They have played a difficult schedule, but they've been struggling big time offensively. It's also amazing to me that Mason has only played one of their seven games at home, and that was the loss to Moeller.
Old 09-13-17, 05:25 PM
All District

steelboot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Can't wait for Steelboot...4,3,2,1....
Two things: Ref screwed up and Mason was unsportsmanlike using that situation to their advantage...PERIOD!!!

Friend of mine talked to the refs after the game and the center ref told him that he thought Mason would play it back to their keeper on the restart. He could obviously see that Mason had no intention of that as they were setting up to take the kick (packing the West box, etc.). What he should have done as soon as Mason played the ball into the box is call a "phantom" foul on Mason and award West a free kick. I understand he was almost credited with the assist over the Mic by the PA from West.

Several questionable things occurred during that sequence. The Mason player that collided with West's Keeper and was injured was called offside by the AR but the Center Ref never even looked over to him. After the collision the Mason player stayed down (never tried to get back up or anything as he was honestly hurt) and the Ref should have stopped play right then with the West Keeper still holding the ball (Keeper actually looked back at the injured player and at the Ref as if waiting for the Ref to stop the play). Once Mason won possession of the punt they should have played the ball out of bounds (typical play when a player is injured) but with their own player laying in the box they continued to attack until Ref FINALLY blew his whistle. Once the trainers attended to the injury and Mason subbed the restart should have NEVER happened the way it did (read my two things above).

No way to sugarcoat this one, West got screwed. Whether it is an OHSAA rule or not, those of us that have played this game know that wasn't the correct way to restart. My guess is the OSHAA Individual that thought of this nonsense has never played a competitive game of soccer in his/her life!!

As for the rest of the game: It was a good game and actually reffed well IMO. But we all see how 79 minutes of a good job can be wiped out with one brain fart.

Kudos to Mason for playing an excellent 2nd half and fighting back to tie the game (which is how it should have ended). Shame on the West players for thinking they had the game won and taking their foot off the pedal. You've got to win 50/50 balls and not sure West won a single one in the second half. Additionally this is a contact sport and some of the West players seem to be afraid of contact (soft). Hopefully next week they will get back one of their best players (#10) who has missed the last 5+ games with an injury.

Let the rebuttals begin!!!
Old 09-13-17, 06:28 PM
All District

I dunno man. I've seen a lot of club games. If you put the ball in play while a player is laying on the ground it means you want to play. Normally when an injury is recognized the ball is played out and the ref doesn't have to stop the game.

Unless there is an attack happening right over the injury that is.

You say Mason should have played it out. LWs keeper had the ball in his hands and knew there was an injury. LW puts the ball in play instead.

That said. It's a dumb rule.

Also the ref expected a high school team to make a 70 yard back pass? Sounds more like he wanted out of the conversation.

Last edited by 2731; 09-13-17 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: Changed 90 to 70 because duhhhh top of box.
Old 09-13-17, 08:19 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIllinifan View Post
Well, I was with you up until this last post. Now you're insinuating that Mason took advantage and didn't do the "right" thing, while LW would have. Not sure that's an accurate or fair assumption.

I think it's fairly obvious that Mason is not as strong this season. They have played a difficult schedule, but they've been struggling big time offensively. It's also amazing to me that Mason has only played one of their seven games at home, and that was the loss to Moeller.
Refer to Steelboot's comment....it would've been the right thing to do and I got feedback from a player as to how he thinks LW would've handled it....just an opinion but I think the Mason coach displayed an adjective quality that rhymes with his name in this particular situation.

As for Mason, they're going to be just fine as they played very well during the second half...just should've ended in a tie.
Old 09-13-17, 08:25 PM
All District

steelboot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2731 View Post
I dunno man. I've seen a lot of club games. If you put the ball in play while a player is laying on the ground it means you want to play. Normally when an injury is recognized the ball is played out and the ref doesn't have to stop the game.

Unless there is an attack happening right over the injury that is.

You say Mason should have played it out. LWs keeper had the ball in his hands and knew there was an injury. LW puts the ball in play instead.

That said. It's a dumb rule.

Also the ref expected a high school team to make a 70 yard back pass? Sounds more like he wanted out of the conversation.
You can't possibly put this on LW's Keeper. He looked for the Ref to stop play, or recognize the Offside flag, or bottom line DO HIS JOB!!!! It was Mason's player down for God's sake, why would they continue play once in possession? IMO unsporting play by Mason, but Karma is a female dog.
Old 09-13-17, 08:30 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelboot View Post
You can't possibly put this on LW's Keeper. He looked for the Ref to stop play, or recognize the Offside flag, or bottom line DO HIS JOB!!!! It was Mason's player down for God's sake, why would they continue play once in possession? IMO unsporting play by Mason, but Karma is a female dog.
Lol. Ok man whatever you say.
Old 09-13-17, 10:17 PM
All District

cincinnatisoccerfan is on a distinguished road
Right Call.

I was at the Lakota West Mason game last night. First boys game I have seen this season. Everyone on this thread is correct in how the event went down. What they don't talk about is that Soccer in HS is a 80 minute game and each team had many moments to shine and put the game away but they did not so we go back to blame the one play. Lakota Won the first half soundly. Mason won the entire second half except for three breakaways. The ref made the correct call by the rules and 15-17 year olds decided to play the foul as called. Period. Many other outcomes could have happened but they didn't. I thought both teams had moments of brilliance and they also showed they still have many things to work on. Mason in the final third and West in the middle of the field. I also believe this game will benefit both teams in the long run. Mason gets a big come from behind victory down 2-0 after 60 minutes, haven't had to do that in the last five or so years. West will learn the game is 80 minutes long and they must work hard all 80 minutes to win and put away teams. Both coaches did a great job with their fans and players as it could have gotten out of hand after the 5th goal but it diid not. I thought the referees did a good job in a tightly contested rivalry.! Good luck to both Cooper and Reedy the rest of the season.
Old 09-14-17, 10:37 AM
All World

coolguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You'd be hard pressed to find a referee to hit the whistle and have the keeper play an IFK in his box (assuming location) instead of allowing him to punt the ball as his disposal.

Not trying to be picky, only making note since you referenced the flag popping more than once.
Old 09-14-17, 11:31 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincinnatisoccerfan View Post
I was at the Lakota West Mason game last night. First boys game I have seen this season. Everyone on this thread is correct in how the event went down. What they don't talk about is that Soccer in HS is a 80 minute game and each team had many moments to shine and put the game away but they did not so we go back to blame the one play. Lakota Won the first half soundly. Mason won the entire second half except for three breakaways. The ref made the correct call by the rules and 15-17 year olds decided to play the foul as called. Period. Many other outcomes could have happened but they didn't. I thought both teams had moments of brilliance and they also showed they still have many things to work on. Mason in the final third and West in the middle of the field. I also believe this game will benefit both teams in the long run. Mason gets a big come from behind victory down 2-0 after 60 minutes, haven't had to do that in the last five or so years. West will learn the game is 80 minutes long and they must work hard all 80 minutes to win and put away teams. Both coaches did a great job with their fans and players as it could have gotten out of hand after the 5th goal but it diid not. I thought the referees did a good job in a tightly contested rivalry.! Good luck to both Cooper and Reedy the rest of the season.

I agree with your post with the exception that the boys just played the foul as called.....play was stopped for almost two minutes as you can see from the video.....you don't think Mason's coach could've intervened and instructed them to do the "right" thing? They didn't just put it down and play it quickly. I know he's a local coaching legend but I would argue this wasn't his finest moment.

Last edited by Bearcat_phan; 09-14-17 at 11:43 AM..
Old 09-14-17, 11:55 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Well, the video provided doesn't really support anything you are saying here in terms of the keeper.

In fact, after watching the video of what happened....I got to say, Mason won it fair & square.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: