Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins: Massillon Washington (6-3) at Canton McKinley (8-1)
Massillon Washington by 1-7 17 27.42%
Massillon Washington by 8-14 4 6.45%
Massillon Washington by 15+ 0 0%
Canton McKinley by 1-7 11 17.74%
Canton McKinley by 8-14 21 33.87%
Canton McKinley by 15+ 9 14.52%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-17, 12:06 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronicTiger View Post
I don't think I've ever heard any legit evidence that this actually ever happened. It's an old wives tale IMHO.

This

Although, I have seen the line on Parlay sheets.

:>---

16 days and counting...
Old 10-24-17, 01:36 PM
All American

BigSack is an unknown quantity at this point
where'd everything go? how weird

anybody want to bet a year's ban on yappi that the Massillon CB's suspension will not be revoked by 2:00 on Saturday?
Old 10-24-17, 02:28 PM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Grow up. Seriously.
Old 10-24-17, 03:02 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
Grow up. Seriously.
absolutely. A grown up would value discipline over winning a game or two. But I'm sure all of the kids have learned their lessons
Old 10-24-17, 03:07 PM
All Ohio

Purple Hayes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden Fox View Post
Awesome Pics Hayden, along with the Horsemen photo! keep 'em coming!

I like McK to win this one, let's go 27-17.
Old 10-24-17, 03:58 PM
Moderated User

sam the butcher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
'Sideliners'? Do some members of the booster club actually stand on the sideline or is that just the name?
Just a name. Is this the organization that Lee Tressel started after seeing a kid puke on the sidelines after sprints? If so, all he saw was tomato's, the young mans family wasn't well off, Lee then formed an organization called the sideliners where he went to a group of businessmen in town and basically had each one take a kid a few times a week the businessman would take his sideliner out and buy him a meal to make sure the kid was getting fed good at least part of the time. I'm sure the kids would go to their sideliners homes for a good HOME cooked meal too. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.
Old 10-24-17, 04:00 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtigers96 View Post
How good is Mcks Dline? Massillons Oline isnít as huge as last year but many argue that this years Oline is better and more physical than Massillons Oline last year.
Last year's oline left a lot to be desired. I saw them get handled by Scioto.
Old 10-24-17, 04:05 PM
All District

OGnir is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam the butcher View Post
Just a name. Is this the organization that Lee Tressel started after seeing a kid puke on the sidelines after sprints? If so, all he saw was tomato's, the young mans family wasn't well off, Lee then formed an organization called the sideliners where he went to a group of businessmen in town and basically had each one take a kid a few times a week the businessman would take his sideliner out and buy him a meal to make sure the kid was getting fed good at least part of the time. I'm sure the kids would go to their sideliners homes for a good HOME cooked meal too. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

Close but the puked up tomato's was what gave Paul Brown the idea to start the Booster Club.

The Massillon Tiger Football Booster Club is considered to be the “Granddaddy” of high school sports booster clubs. It is also responsible for identifying the Massillon Tigers as “The Most Recognized Show in High School Football.” The Club was formed in September 1934 at the request of Head Coach Paul Brown. It is recalled that during a strenuous workout, Coach Paul Brown observed one of his players throwing up green tomatoes. It was a depression year and when Coach Brown discovered that the player had little to eat, he requested help to keep the team fed. So, early in Coach Brown’s tenure at Massillon, he developed the idea of forming a club that would enable fans to provide support for the players and bring them closer to program activities. As a member of the school board, Carl Young pursued the request and with board approval the club began operations.

Arvine “Tink” Uhlrich, captain of the 1922 State Champion team, was elected as the first president, with an initial membership was around 200 patrons, each charged dues of 25 cents. The first meeting was held in September of 1934.

From the Massillon Evening Independent, dated September 12, 1934: “…Many of Washington High School’s oldest and most loyal football fans were seated in the audience of 100 that heard Coach Brown speak. They will form the nucleus of the Booster Club, the membership of which will never be closed to a supporter of the team. You too can become a booster and get the “inside” of Washington High football by attending the next meeting which will be called in the near future by Chairman Ulrich. A similar program to that carried out last night will be carried out at each meeting. It will be a round table discussion of the team’s play, with straight forward man to man answers; Why this fellow didn’t play, Why this fellow was taken out of the game, why Massillon punted when it did and why this play failed to work, will be questions answered at the Booster meeting…”

The club meets weekly during the football season (presently Monday evening at 7:00 pm in the high school). Memberships can be purchased for a nominal amount at the door.

.................................................. .................................................. ......................

The Sideliners were organized in 1957 during the final season of Coach Lee Tressel. His concept was to create a group of Massillon supporters that could act as “Big Brothers” for the varsity players. Serving as personal mentors, the members became accessible to the players throughout the season for help in resolving any personal problems that they might have. In many cases, these associations evolved into long-term relationships.

In late May of each year, member-player assignments are discussed and finalized with the head coach. Then, by following an established season schedule, members and players meet for team meals and other associated events. Many times guest speakers or other supportive presentations are included.

Last edited by OGnir; 10-24-17 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-24-17, 04:07 PM
All American

TIGER27
Quote:
Yep, the Sideliners have a weekly meal with the team. Some churches host and donate a meal, local restaurants ect. Itís a pretty awesome program.
Old 10-24-17, 04:14 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGER27 View Post
Yep, the Sideliners have a weekly meal with the team. Some churches host and donate a meal, local restaurants ect. Itís a pretty awesome program.

All sideliner meals are paid for by the sideliners.

If a meal is offered by a local church then the sideliners make a donation to the said church.
Old 10-24-17, 05:24 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
What's up with the Mass CB?
I'd ask OGnir
Old 10-24-17, 05:30 PM
Moderated User

Thanks for the clarification OGnir.
Old 10-24-17, 05:52 PM
All World

Egret has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGnir View Post
All sideliner meals are paid for by the sideliners.

If a meal is offered by a local church then the sideliners make a donation to the said church.
What if the meal is offered by a local restaurant with a somewhat shady owner. Are they given a donation? Because if they are that would seem a little well, um, seedy to me. Just sayin'.
Old 10-24-17, 06:09 PM
All Yappi

BigBulldog is an unknown quantity at this point
where are all the McKinley fans? Geeeezzz were 8-1 with some big wins.

We can get a Home game with a win over Massillon!!!

GO BULLDOGSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-24-17, 06:18 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
What if the meal is offered by a local restaurant with a somewhat shady owner. Are they given a donation? Because if they are that would seem a little well, um, seedy to me. Just sayin'.

Local restaurants don't donate they submit bids.
Old 10-24-17, 06:20 PM
All American

Quote:
The first hit, i mean meal is always free there
Old 10-24-17, 06:20 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That's the negative side of the program that you're not going to hear about from this new concerted propaganda machine.
Old 10-24-17, 06:27 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
That's the negative side of the program that you're not going to hear about from this new concerted propaganda machine.
No propaganda here, I and many others will not go into the shady owners place
no matter if he keeps moving ever couple months.
Old 10-24-17, 06:28 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
This is hypocritical Egret.
Old 10-24-17, 07:44 PM
All Yappi

Levi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Levi
I feel like McKinley is a 10 point favorite. Massillon defense still a question mark. Did the Pups peak early? Not so sure. GlenOak has played pretty much everyone tough and this isn't the Fred Thomas Era as GlenOak hangs with the Pups regularly. The Perry loss was not to surprising to me. Perry has had the Pups number as of late and they are playing their best ball right now and were playing not just for the pride of a win but their playoff and Federal League title hopes.

Massillon was seemingly outscoring their opponents throughout their winning streak (save GlenOak which was a solid defensive performance). I feel like that plays into McKinley's hands. However teams are starting to score on McKinley allowing 23 or more points in 4 of 5 games and the one exception is a struggling Lake team. Prior to that McKinley defense was allowing little in terms of points the first 4 games only Hudson scoring 27 points on the 2nd team of McKinley. This was after McKinley built 32-0 lead.

Think I am sticking with the Pups in this one:

McKinley 34
Massillon 23
Old 10-24-17, 07:58 PM
All Yappi

Levi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Levi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spize View Post
Keith would have probably won a state title in Massillon.

Also, Keith runs a straight ship, so Massillon wouldn't have had all the OHSAA trouble.

Reardon would be as much of a dumpster fire, well on the field, as Moore at Massillon. So Dan was VERY smart to take the McK job.

BTW, BJ Payne will never be the coach of Massillon for the same reason Keith Wakefield never got a fair shot... They are solid football guys who wouldn't tolerate DA KLUB and their meddling. They'd also kick the star player off the team without a question if they pulled the they pull at Massillon now and get away with it. Also, neither would let DA KLUB bully them into bringing a thug back onto the team after they'd been kicked off.
Always thought that Wakefield or Hertler Jr could have won a title at Massillon. I remember in the 2002 Semifinal when Massillon started running Wing-T like offense and it led to a go ahead score with 1:11 left. Warren had no answer on that drive. Wakefield with that talent 1999-2002 I think he breaks through one of those years. I think the fanbase could have gotten upset with the boring and predictable offense and run him off. Hertler ran a more Pro-Style Offense and did such a good job squeezing out as much as he could with the talent in NC. I just think Zwick would have been much better off with Hertler as a coach as opposed to who he had. As Ohio State was disappointed that they believed Justin digressed in several ways from when they scouted him before he was in Massillon to when they evaluated him at Massillon either his junior or senior season.
Old 10-24-17, 08:03 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
I feel like McKinley is a 10 point favorite. Massillon defense still a question mark. Did the Pups peak early? Not so sure. GlenOak has played pretty much everyone tough and this isn't the Fred Thomas Era as GlenOak hangs with the Pups regularly. The Perry loss was not to surprising to me. Perry has had the Pups number as of late and they are playing their best ball right now and were playing not just for the pride of a win but their playoff and Federal League title hopes.

Massillon was seemingly outscoring their opponents throughout their winning streak (save GlenOak which was a solid defensive performance). I feel like that plays into McKinley's hands. However teams are starting to score on McKinley allowing 23 or more points in 4 of 5 games and the one exception is a struggling Lake team. Prior to that McKinley defense was allowing little in terms of points the first 4 games only Hudson scoring 27 points on the 2nd team of McKinley. This was after McKinley built 32-0 lead.

Think I am sticking with the Pups in this one:

McKinley 34
Massillon 23
Massillon will need someone to compliment Thomas as a change of pace back. If Thomas has 22 or more carries, Massillon is in trouble. If Massillons line can keep Longwell clean he could be the difference in this game, this kid is THAT good. He is very accurate, can throw a frozen rope and put it on the money. Now, can Massillon's D stop McKinley's O.

Therein lies the problem.
Old 10-24-17, 08:08 PM
All World

Quote:
This is hypocritical Egret.
How's that Chiefy?
Old 10-24-17, 08:42 PM
Moderated User

Check your PM.
Old 10-24-17, 09:15 PM
All Yappi

The Butler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
How's that Chiefy?
The plot thickens.
Old 10-24-17, 09:30 PM
All Yappi

Perry 67 is on a distinguished road
Cool 4 quarters.

To get a buck you need all four quarters. Same here. Good Luck to both teams. Should be a dandy.
Old 10-24-17, 09:35 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry 67 View Post
To get a buck you need all four quarters. Same here. Good Luck to both teams. Should be a dandy.
The one week where I want a Buckeye night game and they put it at 3:30.
Old 10-24-17, 09:37 PM
All Yappi

Perry 67 is on a distinguished road
Cool 2 tickets.

You can make some money Butler. I'll take em if you have 2. Sorry. I thought you were going to cbus.
Old 10-24-17, 09:39 PM
All Yappi

My couch is the best spot for both games.
Old 10-25-17, 05:21 AM
All World

Quote:
Check your PM.
I did and thank you for the explanation. I hope I clarified my response to you. Good day.
Closed Thread