Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-26-17, 10:38 AM
Freshman

cdaven1994 is on a distinguished road
Western Football Conference 2017

Will anyone compete with Visitation on the varsity level this year?
Old 07-26-17, 10:47 AM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Based on several posters' comments in this thread and others, no. Everyone else is playing for 2nd.
Old 07-27-17, 09:54 AM
All Region

voiceoreaso is on a distinguished road
St Susanna should have have been as good as Visi this year. I heard they may have an issue with losing players due to a new athletic rule. Not sure what that rule was/is. If they retain their players they should be really good. St Antonius and Nicklaus should be good. I'm not sure those 2 have enough to compete with Visi. Visi may struggle with offensive line this year
Old 07-27-17, 10:24 AM
All Yappi

What's the issue with Susanna and losing players? What new rule was put in place?
Old 07-27-17, 10:33 AM
All American

trey2k is on a distinguished road
I don't know the specific issue, but my guess is they had a bunch of players who played public school ball last year as 8th graders and are now repeating 8th grade at Susanna. Have heard this numerous times to think it may be at play, but not 100% certain in this case.
Old 07-27-17, 10:34 AM
Moderated User

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
What's the issue with Susanna and losing players? What new rule was put in place?
Who cares? Screw them.
Old 07-27-17, 10:40 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
Who cares? Screw them.
Of all people that should care, you should.

These shenanigans are the types of things that are directly impacting the "new" world of recruiting at the HS level. Rules are made, and they find the loophole. New rule takes away the loophole, it opens up another loophole.

The western conference, I think, didn't expect this level of "game playing" with the east side schools at the inception of this league. But at the same time, them towing the line of the rules has helped them land better athletes. I don't think that's a stretch.

This is the HS game now, for better or worse. I think most west side coaches and administrators have more of a true passion for helping kids develop and building quality people...and it's in direct contrast to the cutthroat nonsense alot of HS sports has become.

So, do you want to play that game or not? It does somewhat create a moral bridge between the two.
Old 07-27-17, 10:46 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey2k View Post
Of all people that should care, you should.

These shenanigans are the types of things that are directly impacting the "new" world of recruiting at the HS level. Rules are made, and they find the loophole. New rule takes away the loophole, it opens up another loophole.

The western conference, I think, didn't expect this level of "game playing" with the east side schools at the inception of this league. But at the same time, them towing the line of the rules has helped them land better athletes. I don't think that's a stretch.

This is the HS game now, for better or worse. I think most west side coaches and administrators have more of a true passion for helping kids develop and building quality people...and it's in direct contrast to the cutthroat nonsense alot of HS sports has become.

So, do you want to play that game or not? It does somewhat create a moral bridge between the two.
I don't care that they lost kids, screw Susanna. It is cutthroat, and if it weakens an X and Moe feeder, good.
Old 07-27-17, 11:17 AM
Moderated User

slapnut is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoreaso View Post
St Susanna should have have been as good as Visi this year. I heard they may have an issue with losing players due to a new athletic rule. Not sure what that rule was/is. If they retain their players they should be really good. St Antonius and Nicklaus should be good. I'm not sure those 2 have enough to compete with Visi. Visi may struggle with offensive line this year
St. Antoninus and St Nick's don't even play in the same division as Visitation. Antoninus, Jude and Visi used play in a scrimmage every year just to maintain the old WFC connection, but now, neither Jude nor Antoninus will play Visitation....even in a scrimmage! So I don't want to hear about how "good" St. Antoninus is....just because they have some basketball athletes in their incoming 8th grade, doesn't mean they have any football talent
Old 07-27-17, 11:18 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapnut View Post
St. Antoninus and St Nick's don't even play in the same division as Visitation. Antoninus, Jude and Visi used play in a scrimmage every year just to maintain the old WFC connection, but now, neither Jude nor Antoninus will play Visitation....even in a scrimmage! So I don't want to hear about how "good" St. Antoninus is....just because they have some basketball athletes in their incoming 8th grade, doesn't mean they have any football talent
Isn't Keller's son their QB?
Old 07-27-17, 11:22 AM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Western Football Conference 2017

I moved all recent grade school football posts here to keep things fresh as a new season is about to kick off.
Old 07-27-17, 11:37 AM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN
Quote:
While Visi is shrinking, they still have almost twice the number (40 on varsity) of boys that Jude and Antoninus have. I assume their coaches figure scrimmaging Visi will only lead to potential injuries and not worth the risk.

I dont want to be considered an alarmist but football is shrinking at a significant rate on the west-side of Cincinnati (and maybe every where else).

Is Visi the only school that doesnt merge with anyone else for football? Does Antoninus and Jude align with anyone? Victory with William/Resurrection/Lawrence. Dominic with Teresa. Lourdes with Catherine and Martins and Al's.
Old 07-27-17, 11:38 AM
All Region

Kellers son is the qb. He is very good.

St A and St Nichols would have to play in Div 1 playoffs if they win div2 league. That was my understanding of the rule this year. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Visi has some horses and probably is the favorite.
Old 07-27-17, 12:17 PM
All American

Quote:
I don't care that they lost kids, screw Susanna. It is cutthroat, and if it weakens an X and Moe feeder, good.
Um...those kids will still end up at X and/or Moeller.
Old 07-27-17, 12:29 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I don't know the specific issue, but my guess is they had a bunch of players who played public school ball last year as 8th graders and are now repeating 8th grade at Susanna. Have heard this numerous times to think it may be at play, but not 100% certain in this case.
This wouldn't shock me as it is very typical of the Eastside schools, especially Susanna, All Saints and Mikes.
Old 07-27-17, 12:35 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN View Post
While Visi is shrinking, they still have almost twice the number (40 on varsity) of boys that Jude and Antoninus have. I assume their coaches figure scrimmaging Visi will only lead to potential injuries and not worth the risk.

I dont want to be considered an alarmist but football is shrinking at a significant rate on the west-side of Cincinnati (and maybe every where else).

Is Visi the only school that doesnt merge with anyone else for football? Does Antoninus and Jude align with anyone? Victory with William/Resurrection/Lawrence. Dominic with Teresa. Lourdes with Catherine and Martins and Al's.
Participation in football is down everywhere. It's probably going to continue to decline with all the CTE news. My guess is football below the Pee Wee level will vanish very soon. This could be a good way for Elder to start its own youth program. Consolidate all of the Price Hill schools, Dominic. Leave Jude, Visi, Victory, and consolidate Antoninous and Lourdes.
Old 07-27-17, 12:38 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Um...those kids will still end up at X and/or Moeller.
And if they can't play 8th grade year, all the better.
Old 07-27-17, 12:51 PM
All American

Visitation_Football
Quote:
Are any of Antoninus' good players even going to Elder besides Keller?
Old 07-27-17, 12:55 PM
All Region

There best 3 players are going to Elder.
Old 07-27-17, 01:07 PM
All American

Visitation_Football
Quote:
There best 3 players are going to Elder.
Great to hear that.
Old 07-27-17, 01:25 PM
Moderated User

Heard young Ramsey was trying to get some St Nicholas teammates to Elder.
Old 07-27-17, 02:08 PM
All American

Visitation_Football
Quote:
Heard young Ramsey was trying to get some St Nicholas teammates to Elder.
There are 3-4 really good players on that team.
Old 07-27-17, 03:46 PM
All District

College#19 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

There is absolutely no truth to this. A good friend of mine has 2 boys that play at Susanna and their issue was they had 3 kids get injured over the summer to some other 7th graders who were not going to play. They got some 7th graders to come back and two key 8th graders. They will have 20 players on their roster and probably the best RB in the League. My guess is it will be a repeat of 2 years ago when these two grade levels played in the finals of the Reserve Championship. Susanna played Visitation tough. My buddy says Susanna is going to have a massive OL.

We will see what happens. But no doubt Visitation is the team to beat. Also look out for IHM, they have a really good roster this season.
Old 07-27-17, 04:06 PM
All Region

That is good to hear. They have a good team
Old 07-27-17, 10:40 PM
Freshman

cdaven1994 is on a distinguished road
If they put the right kids there, I don't think Visi will struggle on the OL.
Old 07-28-17, 05:36 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
That is good to hear. They have a good team
I heard the best 8th grader from last year's Nicholas team ended up at Bacon. Odd choice, but I believe his dad was an alumni.
Old 07-28-17, 06:45 AM
Moderated User

slapnut is on a distinguished road
IHM will be good next year, when Weber's kid is in 7th grade.......sure Weber will coach them and they will run that god awful spread attack
Old 07-28-17, 07:22 AM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN
Weber is a great coach. One of, if not the best, in the city. Really hoping his son finds his way to Elder. However, I've been told it's not likely.

Last edited by PURPLE REIGN; 07-28-17 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-28-17, 08:27 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN View Post
Weber is a great coach. One of, if not the best, in the city. Really hoping his son finds his way to Elder. However, I've been told it's not likely.
I've been told the opposite, from what I'd consider a reliable source.
Old 07-28-17, 05:45 PM
All American

I've seen them both at Elder basketball games every now and then.

But his son (if it's the same kid everyone is talking about) looks really, really small. Is he one of those quick, fast running backs? The dad isn't all that big himself. Does his talent project to varsity football/basketball? Sure doesn't look to be any different than any other kid coming through when it's all said and done.