Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 08-05-17, 06:13 AM
gatornation gatornation is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 06-01-11
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 248
gatornation is on a distinguished road
So I will dispute some of your claim of 9 solid teams in Lorain, granted I will give you 7. Those next 2, lets call them Buckeye and Tallmadge, would not beat the top 4 at either Madison or Malone (which can be supported by looking at Spartan Inv results), and would lose to atleast 1 team from Trumbull. Add that up 7+4+4+1=16. Now if you want to go 20 deep, again, I will grant you that.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #32  
Old 08-05-17, 06:29 AM
claynation claynation is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-03-14
Posts: 132
claynation is on a distinguished road
D3 boys is up: http://nedab.org/wp-content/uploads/....17-18_vs2.pdf

Where is D2 boys?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-05-17, 06:36 AM
claynation claynation is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-03-14
Posts: 132
claynation is on a distinguished road
D2 is here: http://nedab.org/wp-content/uploads/...-BXC.17-18.pdf

The NEDAB website currently links to the 2016 assignments for D2 hence my confusion.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-06-17, 10:39 AM
CoventryTrackXCguy CoventryTrackXCguy is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-28-15
Location: Coventry, Ohio
Posts: 891
CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmm, Malone district got smaller. My comets will be there still. Im not surprised, I was more expecting Woodridge or Tallmadge or Field to get shifted in. As our district stands now, top 2 is virtually a lock for Tuslaw and $V$M. Chippewa and Coventry are heavily favored for the remaining two slots. I wull favor coventry this year over Chippewa for this too early prediction, but I say Coventry has a 60 percent chance of beating Chippewa. It is highly unlikely that anyone else in the district will be able to challenge either of us for the 3-4 spots. Marlington is in D1. West Branch, Norton, and Springfield, teams that may have been contenders in the past all graduate at least 5 of last years varsity 7. Devastating for teams of this calibre. Northwest and Fairless are young, but there is a huge gap between them and us. I just cant see my comets doing any worse than 4th place here. Makes me wonder, what should be our team goal this year? Because threepeating to regionals is not a good goal...too easy. We need to shoot higher.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-07-17, 07:20 AM
psycho_dad psycho_dad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-17-10
Posts: 2,759
psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
Hmm, Malone district got smaller. My comets will be there still. Im not surprised, I was more expecting Woodridge or Tallmadge or Field to get shifted in. As our district stands now, top 2 is virtually a lock for Tuslaw and $V$M. Chippewa and Coventry are heavily favored for the remaining two slots. I wull favor coventry this year over Chippewa for this too early prediction, but I say Coventry has a 60 percent chance of beating Chippewa. It is highly unlikely that anyone else in the district will be able to challenge either of us for the 3-4 spots. Marlington is in D1. West Branch, Norton, and Springfield, teams that may have been contenders in the past all graduate at least 5 of last years varsity 7. Devastating for teams of this calibre. Northwest and Fairless are young, but there is a huge gap between them and us. I just cant see my comets doing any worse than 4th place here. Makes me wonder, what should be our team goal this year? Because threepeating to regionals is not a good goal...too easy. We need to shoot higher.
Here are some goals for you.

#1. FIELD A GIRLS TEAM!!!

#2. Finish 2nd in your conference.

#3. Cut the gap from 1 to 5 down to 1 min.

#4. Go out more controlled the first mile of races as a pack and pass people the next 2 miles instead of getting passed. Your guys would go out like mad men the first mile last year and then explode and break apart and gap. As a team, you are only as strong as your #5 and it does no good to put him in debt the first mile and have him running all by himself on fumes for 2 miles. Run as a team and move through.

#5. Don't let Woodridge 15 you.

#6. Don't let Woodridge beat you with their 8-14.

5 and 6 are a little out of your control, but when you run against them, your guys should not be ahead of their #5 until after the 2nd mile. Let them drag your guys through. Race smarter.

Just field a Girls team.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-09-17, 01:13 PM
psycho_dad psycho_dad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-17-10
Posts: 2,759
psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
does anyone understand any of the logic as to how they decided to make the assignments? I would have no problem if it was strictly geographic, but it's not. How does Revere go to Malone before Woodridge or CVCA? If they are making decisions to manipulate the Districts that are not based strictly on location north, south, east, west, then what is it? Tallmadge to LCC and not Malone before $V$M? How? Coventy, Norton, Fairless...How do any of them go to Malone before Tallmadge?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-09-17, 02:44 PM
madman madman is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 09-27-10
Posts: 940
madman is on a distinguished road
Last year I was told that every team was guaranteed to go to their second closest site if the closest site was already filled. In meeting that requirement, some schools were moved from their closest site, a domino effect.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-09-17, 04:40 PM
CoventryTrackXCguy CoventryTrackXCguy is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-28-15
Location: Coventry, Ohio
Posts: 891
CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
The logic, if you can call it that, baffles me too. I guess Norton, Coventry, Springfield before Tallmadge geographically makes sense, although Tallmadge should be next on the chopping block. From last year to this year, Marlington and Alliance move to d1. Kenmore and Garfield merge. Waynefield and Wellington drop to d3. The only school to drop to d2 is Springfield. Should be a net loss of 4 schools from our district. We should have gained a couple of schools to keep the districts even. Except instead they dropped the number of qualifiers to 4, and only added Lutheran West. If we were to gain a couple of schools, I would have expected Triway, Cloverleaf, Woodridge, CVCA, Tallmadge, or Field to be dropping in. Definately not Lutheran West. With that being said, I believe the following to be true:

That boys and girls teams attsnd the same district sites.

They will maintain that regardless of division assignments. In which case, Revere in Malone may make a bit more sense, at least for D1 Boys.

Thirdly, I believe same gender schools are placed last, after all the other schools are placed.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Last edited by CoventryTrackXCguy; 08-09-17 at 05:21 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-09-17, 04:42 PM
CoventryTrackXCguy CoventryTrackXCguy is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-28-15
Location: Coventry, Ohio
Posts: 891
CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
Here are some goals for you.

#1. FIELD A GIRLS TEAM!!!

#2. Finish 2nd in your conference.

#3. Cut the gap from 1 to 5 down to 1 min.

#4. Go out more controlled the first mile of races as a pack and pass people the next 2 miles instead of getting passed. Your guys would go out like mad men the first mile last year and then explode and break apart and gap. As a team, you are only as strong as your #5 and it does no good to put him in debt the first mile and have him running all by himself on fumes for 2 miles. Run as a team and move through.

#5. Don't let Woodridge 15 you.

#6. Don't let Woodridge beat you with their 8-14.

5 and 6 are a little out of your control, but when you run against them, your guys should not be ahead of their #5 until after the 2nd mile. Let them drag your guys through. Race smarter.

Just field a Girls team.
Well see what we can do.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-09-17, 08:06 PM
Mr. Slippery's Avatar
Mr. Slippery Mr. Slippery is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-05-07
Location: Slippery Rock
Posts: 17,773
Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
The logic, if you can call it that, baffles me too. I guess Norton, Coventry, Springfield before Tallmadge geographically makes sense, although Tallmadge should be next on the chopping block. From last year to this year, Marlington and Alliance move to d1. Kenmore and Garfield merge. Waynefield and Wellington drop to d3. The only school to drop to d2 is Springfield. Should be a net loss of 4 schools from our district. We should have gained a couple of schools to keep the districts even. Except instead they dropped the number of qualifiers to 4, and only added Lutheran West. If we were to gain a couple of schools, I would have expected Triway, Cloverleaf, Woodridge, CVCA, Tallmadge, or Field to be dropping in. Definately not Lutheran West. With that being said, I believe the following to be true:

That boys and girls teams attsnd the same district sites.

They will maintain that regardless of division assignments. In which case, Revere in Malone may make a bit more sense, at least for D1 Boys.

Thirdly, I believe same gender schools are placed last, after all the other schools are placed.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
DII Malone did not need to gain a few boys teams to replace the ones that changed divisions. Only 19 boys teams are going to regionals this year in the NE. 1 of the districts was going to be shorted a few teams since not all 4 sites can qualify 5 teams to regionals. Malone happened to be the one they chose to short.

Lutheran West has to come to Malone because it's the nearest district site that offers both DII and DIII races since their boys are DII and girls are DIII. Lorain CCC only offers DI and DII, Medina only offers DI and DIII, and Madison only offers DI and DII.

I'd fix that problem 1 of 2 ways:
1. Get rid of Medina as a site and move all those DI and DIII races to Lorain CCC and run 2 sections of DI at Lorain CCC.

or

2. Move DII from Lorain CCC to Medina and run only DI at Lorain CCC (schools that have teams in both DI and DII from that part of the NE District could automatically be assigned to Medina).
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 08-09-17, 09:16 PM
CoventryTrackXCguy CoventryTrackXCguy is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-28-15
Location: Coventry, Ohio
Posts: 891
CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Malone was certainly the most conveniant to short.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08-11-17, 09:14 AM
psycho_dad psycho_dad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-17-10
Posts: 2,759
psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
The OHSAA did a nice job of revising the qualifying to the state meet and even going further than I had thought and added 4 spots. The NEDAB needs to do a better job and come up with a better plan. I'd go to 4 sites and just make bigger races in the D1 races and depending on how many schools are split between D2 and D3, have 2 or 3 of the sites have D3. I don't care how other Districts do it, but I do care that NEDAB does not do a better job for it's schools. If it is strictly geographical, then I'm ok with that. At least it's a system that has no bias. However, there are far too many unnecessary exceptions that hurt some schools and make things real easy for others. One or two exceptions is acceptable and understandable when boys and girls are in different divisions. Then single gender schools are displaced to balance things out. But much more than that goes on. Then, we end up with stacked Districts and weak ones with schools crossing each other when it makes no sense. One school goes straight to Regional and the other goes straight home.

I'd like to see a system that takes place at the regional the year before into account and without splitting girls and boys, distributes those teams out equally out to the Districts. Then it's filled in with all the other teams like they do now. This would avoid a District with 5 very strong teams and others with one or none. I don't like coaches ranking the teams mid season and doing it that way. That burden should not be on coaches, it should be on the board.

This is not a gripe that my team is being gipped. Woodridge is fine. This is for the teams that need that trip to the Regional meet as a step in their development. It's also so that some teams don't have to peak at District while others can wait until Regional. We all know the benefits of a week in the training cycle.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08-11-17, 10:35 AM
CoventryTrackXCguy CoventryTrackXCguy is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-28-15
Location: Coventry, Ohio
Posts: 891
CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
The OHSAA did a nice job of revising the qualifying to the state meet and even going further than I had thought and added 4 spots. The NEDAB needs to do a better job and come up with a better plan. I'd go to 4 sites and just make bigger races in the D1 races and depending on how many schools are split between D2 and D3, have 2 or 3 of the sites have D3. I don't care how other Districts do it, but I do care that NEDAB does not do a better job for it's schools. If it is strictly geographical, then I'm ok with that. At least it's a system that has no bias. However, there are far too many unnecessary exceptions that hurt some schools and make things real easy for others. One or two exceptions is acceptable and understandable when boys and girls are in different divisions. Then single gender schools are displaced to balance things out. But much more than that goes on. Then, we end up with stacked Districts and weak ones with schools crossing each other when it makes no sense. One school goes straight to Regional and the other goes straight home.

I'd like to see a system that takes place at the regional the year before into account and without splitting girls and boys, distributes those teams out equally out to the Districts. Then it's filled in with all the other teams like they do now. This would avoid a District with 5 very strong teams and others with one or none. I don't like coaches ranking the teams mid season and doing it that way. That burden should not be on coaches, it should be on the board.

This is not a gripe that my team is being gipped. Woodridge is fine. This is for the teams that need that trip to the Regional meet as a step in their development. It's also so that some teams don't have to peak at District while others can wait until Regional. We all know the benefits of a week in the training cycle.
I would propose seeded districting. Have the coaches from each team vote on the best teams to the worst teams, like what they do in basketball. And then let the teams choose which district to go to, with the better teams choosing first.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08-11-17, 10:51 AM
madman madman is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 09-27-10
Posts: 940
madman is on a distinguished road
I would be interested in hearing from coaches within Regions that do use seeding to determine their district race. I like the idea of it, but there are practical realities of every system. I am interested in hearing the pros and cons from those that have been through it for several years.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08-11-17, 11:08 AM
NECoach NECoach is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 08-04-17
Posts: 8
NECoach is on a distinguished road
Is there any point where the NEDAB gets input from anyone involved with the sport? I'm sure there job is difficult, but it seems that the problems are the same every year. I have never heard of anyone from the board contacting coaches, or even acknowledging that there are issues.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 08-11-17, 11:08 AM
NECoach NECoach is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 08-04-17
Posts: 8
NECoach is on a distinguished road
Pardon my spelling. "Their" job.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 08-11-17, 02:32 PM
psycho_dad psycho_dad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-17-10
Posts: 2,759
psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
I do not like the process of having teams ranked by the coaches during the season. It puts a burden on the coaches that they do not need. A responsibility that has nothing to do with coaching. That's why I propose it go off of what was done the year before at the Regional. That way it's done by a computer with zero skin in the game. After the top 10 it's sort of a crap shoot. Going to 16 or 20 from the year before is at least close to an indicator. I don't want Howard having to decide if he gives his boys or girls an easier of harder path. I don't think it's a coaches place to have to make a decision that would affect what another teams chances are. I also don't think the advantages should necessarily be given to the better teams. Split the better programs up across the District meets and then make it a more even chance for those teams at the 3,4,5 positions.

Somehow CVCA and Woodridge are tied at the hip, but $V$M is not. Tallmadge and others seem to get the short end of the stick year after year. Just deciding to send Beaumont to LCCC instead of Laurel makes a huge difference to teams.

Ever other year, coaches would be able to know exactly where they were and who was in their District well in advance. The other years, when they do the counts, they would know right after the divisional numbers are out. This would give some coaches the ability to make better decisions on what invites they want to go to. Just a better way to set up the season to reach goals.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 08-11-17, 05:22 PM
billcarson billcarson is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-10-10
Posts: 227
billcarson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NECoach View Post
Is there any point where the NEDAB gets input from anyone involved with the sport? I'm sure there job is difficult, but it seems that the problems are the same every year. I have never heard of anyone from the board contacting coaches, or even acknowledging that there are issues.
This is a good question, I've wondered about this also.
I wouldn't mind having to vote on a seeded district. It would be
better than the haphazard distribution of teams as it appeared to be last fall.
It almost seems as if there is some influence peddling going on to make some of the D2 districts so weak.

Last edited by billcarson; 08-11-17 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 08-11-17, 08:21 PM
SOTT SOTT is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-08-06
Posts: 3,026
SOTT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by billcarson View Post
This is a good question, I've wondered about this also.
I wouldn't mind having to vote on a seeded district. It would be
better than the haphazard distribution of teams as it appeared to be last fall.
It almost seems as if there is some influence peddling going on to make some of the D2 districts so weak.
I agree. I wouldn't mind having to vote and it would be a much better process than what we have now.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 08-11-17, 09:57 PM
psycho_dad psycho_dad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-17-10
Posts: 2,759
psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
There are over 60 teams in D2. How many deep are you comfortable ranking? Top 10. 90% of the coaches will just use Milesplit. I'd rather see a computer model of some sort that takes subjectivity out of the process. I don't like the thought of placements being dependent on 10 coaches that don't care as much as other coaches might. Run at Galion and/or Tiffin and you get a higher ranking.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 08-12-17, 09:41 AM
SOTT SOTT is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-08-06
Posts: 3,026
SOTT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
There are over 60 teams in D2. How many deep are you comfortable ranking? Top 10. 90% of the coaches will just use Milesplit. I'd rather see a computer model of some sort that takes subjectivity out of the process. I don't like the thought of placements being dependent on 10 coaches that don't care as much as other coaches might. Run at Galion and/or Tiffin and you get a higher ranking.
There are definitely deficiencies in seeding/voting. However, I think a computer model would yield problems as well. There are so many variables. You mentioned running at Galion or Tiffin: that will be a skewing factor in computer models as well. Holding out a few top runners from a meet for whatever reason would also inject a bias. I'll agree it would still probably be better than what's going on right now though.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 08-12-17, 10:31 AM
psycho_dad psycho_dad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-17-10
Posts: 2,759
psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTT View Post
There are definitely deficiencies in seeding/voting. However, I think a computer model would yield problems as well. There are so many variables. You mentioned running at Galion or Tiffin: that will be a skewing factor in computer models as well. Holding out a few top runners from a meet for whatever reason would also inject a bias. I'll agree it would still probably be better than what's going on right now though.
That's why I would go with the Regional results from the year before and distributing those teams something like 1,8,9,16,17 - 2,7,10,15,18 - 3,6,11,14,19 - 4,5,12,13,20 with some minor adjustments for schools that would have boys and girls that would end up at different sites. Then fill in the rest of the spots geographically using single gender schools to balance off the Districts as needed. The odds of getting a stacked District and a terrible District would be nearly impossible. It happens year after year as it is now.

At least, there would be criteria that is known and followed and not some haphazard general rules type thing that know one can explain.

I do not want to go to a computer model that ranks teams by season results. I don't like it for football and it would be even worse for CC.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 08-12-17, 02:49 PM
SOTT SOTT is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-08-06
Posts: 3,026
SOTT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
That's why I would go with the Regional results from the year before and distributing those teams something like 1,8,9,16,17 - 2,7,10,15,18 - 3,6,11,14,19 - 4,5,12,13,20 with some minor adjustments for schools that would have boys and girls that would end up at different sites. Then fill in the rest of the spots geographically using single gender schools to balance off the Districts as needed. The odds of getting a stacked District and a terrible District would be nearly impossible. It happens year after year as it is now.

At least, there would be criteria that is known and followed and not some haphazard general rules type thing that know one can explain.

I do not want to go to a computer model that ranks teams by season results. I don't like it for football and it would be even worse for CC.
I see. That wouldn't be half bad. I would probably allow those teams, 1-20, to actually choose their site starting with 1. I think it would still keep it fairly balanced and yet in the case where the host school wants to stay home they can still do such. This allows them to still utilize their parent volunteers in helping to run the meet.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 08-13-17, 07:28 PM
psycho_dad psycho_dad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-17-10
Posts: 2,759
psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTT View Post
I see. That wouldn't be half bad. I would probably allow those teams, 1-20, to actually choose their site starting with 1. I think it would still keep it fairly balanced and yet in the case where the host school wants to stay home they can still do such. This allows them to still utilize their parent volunteers in helping to run the meet.
I'm not a fan of having schools choose where they go. I think of what I would do. If I were choosing and I was one of the top teams, I would chose to go against tougher teams and thus stacking a District and eliminating a top team if I could. I know that's a complete contradiction of what I am proposing, but what I think is fair for the majority is not necessarily what I would do as a competitor given a choice. If I was choosing, there would probably be a District just like LCCC for D2.

Say Bay was Ranked #1 and chose LCCC. Woodridge at #2 chooses LCCC to show Bay they aren't afraid of them and to get a better feel for what to expect and need to do at the District and State. Then Rocky River at 3 decides to go to LCCC for the same reasons Woodridge chose LCCC and because they think, how many other teams are going to have the nerve to put themselves in a District that already has 3 slots pretty much assured?

I'm pretty sure that the seeded Districts allow the higher ranked teams to choose last. So then, it might be the same where if I were #1, I'd choose to go against #2. There would be things like injury and stuff to look at, but I'm not a fan of having coaches choose.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 08-13-17, 10:41 PM
CoventryTrackXCguy CoventryTrackXCguy is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-28-15
Location: Coventry, Ohio
Posts: 891
CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
I'm not a fan of having schools choose where they go. I think of what I would do. If I were choosing and I was one of the top teams, I would chose to go against tougher teams and thus stacking a District and eliminating a top team if I could. I know that's a complete contradiction of what I am proposing, but what I think is fair for the majority is not necessarily what I would do as a competitor given a choice. If I was choosing, there would probably be a District just like LCCC for D2.

Say Bay was Ranked #1 and chose LCCC. Woodridge at #2 chooses LCCC to show Bay they aren't afraid of them and to get a better feel for what to expect and need to do at the District and State. Then Rocky River at 3 decides to go to LCCC for the same reasons Woodridge chose LCCC and because they think, how many other teams are going to have the nerve to put themselves in a District that already has 3 slots pretty much assured?

I'm pretty sure that the seeded Districts allow the higher ranked teams to choose last. So then, it might be the same where if I were #1, I'd choose to go against #2. There would be things like injury and stuff to look at, but I'm not a fan of having coaches choose.
In your scenario then, after the top 4ish put themselves at 1 loaded district, the rest of the teams are just gonna load up the other districts, until they run out of space. In that case, the remaining bottom tier teams in the entire region would just be stuck at the loaded district...But then again, they wouldn't have a realistic chance of qualifying no matter where they are situated. It would be similar to what happens in basketball, SVSM will pick a spot one side of the bracket, then 2,3,4,5,6, etc, will load up the other side, to avoid SVSM till the district finals, then the bottom seeds will get what's left.

One issue with that though is as you said, would require ranking 60 teams.

Another issue is the plight of the single good individuals on the bad teams looking to qualify as an individual. In which case, make it top n not on a qualifying team, problem solved.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 08-14-17, 06:16 AM
madman madman is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 09-27-10
Posts: 940
madman is on a distinguished road
"I'm pretty sure that the seeded Districts allow the higher ranked teams to choose last."

Really?

I've never heard of seeding for any tournament being done that way.

Is that they way the CC districts seed themselves in central/southern Ohio?
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 08-14-17, 11:22 AM
cvctrackfan cvctrackfan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-08-10
Posts: 1,830
cvctrackfan is on a distinguished road
Picking last would give the higher rated team the opportunity to avoid the other good teams. Picking first puts a team at the mercy of running against whom ever.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 08-14-17, 12:30 PM
psycho_dad psycho_dad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-17-10
Posts: 2,759
psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
Another issue is the plight of the single good individuals on the bad teams looking to qualify as an individual. In which case, make it top n not on a qualifying team, problem solved.
No, the individuals should have to be elite to move through and making them be in the top overall % is the way to go. They way they do it now is how it should be done.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 08-14-17, 12:41 PM
madman madman is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 09-27-10
Posts: 940
madman is on a distinguished road
"Picking last would give the higher rated team the opportunity to avoid the other good teams. Picking first puts a team at the mercy of running against whom ever."

If the weakest teams pick first, the weakest ~18 teams would pick the same district guaranteeing 5 of them get to Regionals. It would also be conceivable that the strongest ~18 teams would also be at the same district, allowing only 5 of them to advance.

If the strongest teams pick first, then subsequent teams will most likely choose the district that is most likely to allow them to advance. This encourages the balance between districts.

Game theory doesn't hold up in every situation, but having the strongest teams pick last is crazy.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 08-14-17, 01:08 PM
coach_k coach_k is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 04-04-10
Posts: 56
coach_k is on a distinguished road
Maybe NE could do it the way the SE does (as simply as possible)...just run everyone in the district together in one race. For us the top 2 teams are the district champs, the next 2 are district runners-up; then the remaining teams are just regional qualifiers...7 for the girls/9 for the boys.

For the NE, since it seems you now have 4 sites, you could just have the top four teams in the race be the district champs, the following four be district runners-up, and the remaining being regional qualifiers. Then just rerace all of the teams again the next week at the regional meet.

Boardman could handle a mega-district. The number of runners who run at their invitational is still greater than the number of district finishers from all of the districts combined. The top teams could essentially rest for the week, since they know they will be moving on to the next week. It would also prevent schools from getting "free passes" to the regional meet by being in a weaker district.

If it is done this way, you all wouldn't have to worry about district assignments or seeding.

Just a thought...

Last edited by coach_k; 08-14-17 at 01:21 PM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sectional-to-district, district-to-state compositions released bucksman Wrestling 11 07-30-17 10:51 PM
Waite D-3 District Rankings (Off-Season #1) McClearn7 Wrestling 15 07-22-17 10:47 AM
Perrysburg D-1 District Rankings (Off-Season #2) McClearn7 Wrestling 9 07-10-17 04:04 PM
Coshocton D-3 District Rankings (off season #1) McClearn7 Wrestling 3 05-30-17 07:19 AM
District Champs 2017 Yappi Baseball 11 05-21-17 07:07 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz