Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-31-17, 06:07 AM
All Ohio

dograt is on a distinguished road
5-5 can make it in d6 and 7
5-5 in d5 will be harder, more points needed and fewer to be won playing in a mostly d6 & 7 league. 5-5 Brookville made it playing in a mostly d3 & 4 league.
This all started with talk of a 5-5 Anna team making it. It took 11.8 points to make it in region 20 last year, only 10.6 in 24, 10.4 in 28. Anna's 5 wins and 9.7 points wouldn't have gotten them in in any division.
Old 05-31-17, 06:13 PM
Junior Varsity

outtolunch is on a distinguished road
I would be very surprised if any 5-5 teams make the playoffs in the projected mac region of division vi. To many solid teams from to big of an area. Especially if the Mac drops a couple non league games week one.
Old 05-31-17, 07:04 PM
Moderated User

hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by outtolunch View Post
I would be very surprised if any 5-5 teams make the playoffs in the projected mac region of division vi. To many solid teams from to big of an area. Especially if the Mac drops a couple non league games week one.
Uh I rerepeat, no 5-5 MAC team will make it in. Its called math, the numbers don't add up.
Old 05-31-17, 09:13 PM
All American

bigkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
Uh I rerepeat, no 5-5 MAC team will make it in. Its called math, the numbers don't add up.
Math...uh.....Math...Uh, what do U know about Math Uh?

Quick, without taking your shoes off, what is 10 plus 4?
Old 06-01-17, 06:20 AM
All Ohio

dograt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Can't agree with this one hoser. Minster was the #3 seed at 6-4 last year 5 harbin's above the cutoff. They would've easily been in at 5-5 last year. Maybe that's an anomaly....but I can't discount the possibility!
Old 06-01-17, 06:42 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dograt View Post
Can't agree with this one hoser. Minster was the #3 seed at 6-4 last year 5 harbin's above the cutoff. They would've easily been in at 5-5 last year. Maybe that's an anomaly....but I can't discount the possibility!
Uh of course anything is possible but I say again a 5-5 Mac team will not get in. Uh as I counted on my toes, 6-4 is not 5-5.
Old 06-01-17, 07:21 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Uh of course anything is possible but I say again a 5-5 Mac team will not get in. Uh as I counted on my toes, 6-4 is not 5-5.
Way to go out on a limb there genius and state a 5-5 team wont make the playoffs.
Old 06-01-17, 09:32 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Way to go out on a limb there genius and state a 5-5 team wont make the playoffs.
Uh nah what I said was, no 5-5 MAC team will get in.GCL south 5-5 teams get in a lot. There will be some 5-5 teams that get in but it wont be from the MAC. Not sure but I believe the state champion inD1 got in at 5-5. Uh genius, I like that.
Old 06-01-17, 09:49 AM
All American

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
In 2014 DSJ made the play-offs with a 4-6 record in D-7, and as I stated earlier Marion Local made the play-offs in D-6 in 2009 with a 5-5 record. Last I checked both are MAC schools.
Old 06-01-17, 10:00 AM
All American

If Minster, Marion Local, Coldwater or Fort Recovery win their non-league games than go 3-5 in the league they all have a decent chance of making the play-offs as their non-league games will give them a bunch of computer points. You could throw Saint Henry and DSJ in that list as well.
Old 06-01-17, 03:43 PM
All Ohio

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
The only teams that have a chance to go 5-5 and make the playoffs will be in D7. I don't think there will be enough points by a longshot in d6 (I'd say 7-3 will be on the bubble 6-4 if said team wins both non conference games and one N.C team goes 9-1). D5 it's not even a question. I think one 5-5 Mac team will make the playoffs and that's Delphos St John's.
Old 06-02-17, 01:51 AM
All Yappi

TOo much discussion about 5-5 MAC teams...who cares?

Now...how about all the playoff games on Fridays?

Wont get to see our brethren play as often now.
Old 06-02-17, 06:56 AM
Varsity

stripedwarrior is on a distinguished road
Quote:
TOo much discussion about 5-5 MAC teams...who cares?

Now...how about all the playoff games on Fridays?

Wont get to see our brethren play as often now.
Not happy about that one bit. I loved going to a couple games each week of playoffs.
Did the state look into how many schools host a game on the opposite night of when they played a game? Going to be longer trips for some games than there was in the past.
Don't see Wapak hosting any games if they make a playoff run again. Quite possibly could happen if Sidney has enough improvement, too.
Old 06-02-17, 07:14 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedwarrior View Post
Not happy about that one bit. I loved going to a couple games each week of playoffs.
Did the state look into how many schools host a game on the opposite night of when they played a game? Going to be longer trips for some games than there was in the past.
Don't see Wapak hosting any games if they make a playoff run again. Quite possibly could happen if Sidney has enough improvement, too.
or if they do host games and their team plays elsewhere I expect the amount of volunteers to be on the very low level and likely lead to a poor customer/fan experience.

Always enjoyed seeing players and fans of MAC foes showing up at playoff games. Saw big JD from MSML with his busted up leg attend a CW playoff game or two last year.

Next two years though it wouldn't be a huge deal with CW, MSML, SH and FR all in the same division and likely the same region....if those teams all are lucky enough to sneak into the playoffs.
Old 06-04-17, 09:07 AM
All American

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Congrats to Minster on their 30th State Championship and the MAC's 120th!
Old 06-05-17, 12:55 PM
All District

CJK84 is on a distinguished road
1. Coldwater
2. ML
3. Minster
4. Versailles
5. FR

Coldwater always develops a skilled quarterback, tough linemen, and excellent receivers - the Cavs are again the team to beat in the MAC. Perhaps only ML has a good chance of beating them (although I said that last year, and Minster came out of nowhere to beat Coldwater fairly decisively).

Marion Local will again be deep with a fairly strong, but inexperienced, group of seniors - lots of quality defensive and O-line players in that class, but comparatively few skill guys.

Almost certainly Nate Bruns, a tall junior with a big arm and lots of potential, will start at qb. He missed all of last year - preseason, regular season, and playoffs - with an injury. His play will be critical to Marion's offensive success.

If Marion's d-line can hold its own, the defense should be outstanding - lots of depth, with numerous bodies at the linebacker positions in particular (jr Sam Huelsman being a notable returnee at OLB). Hopefully big John Dirksen, a senior heading to Notre Dame after high school, is healthy enough to play both ways - he is a dominant force.

Whether or not the Flyers can score points with new receivers and no obvious starter at tailback remains the question. I hope Marion runs the I formation a lot because I believe there are several good fullbacks on the roster.

Perhaps the Flyers will rely heavily on senior TE Tyler Mescher in the passing game, and junior Matt Rethman at tailback. Mescher is a big target, has great hands, and is tough to bring down after the catch. Rethman is wiry and struggled to break tackles last year, but he's fast and definitely has great instincts in the open field - can make defenders miss.

I'm really looking forward to Marion's non-league contests with CJ and Patrick Henry (I think that's right) - and the 8 league games also. On a side note, I would love to see New Bremen and Parkway have increased success this year.

Good luck Flyers!

Last edited by CJK84; 06-07-17 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-25-17, 09:40 AM
All Region

Cavman96 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Saw big JD from MSML with his busted up leg attend a CW playoff game or two last year.
I saw him as well at least at one of our playoff games (I thought it was two) last year as well. I got to chat with him a bit. He was pretty banged up with his leg. What a good kid, though! Real down to earth, real polite. I wish nothing but the best for that young man...

I hate that a lot of us are in the same region this year. I'm not sure that anyone from this league likes this set-up.
Old 06-25-17, 10:01 AM
All Region

Cavman96 is on a distinguished road
Storytime...

I was chatting up in CW with someone who was from St. Henry a week ago. And naturally, what does a friendly conversation in a local establishment on a non-eventful Saturday afternoon session turn to, you might ask? Well nothing but the history and well being of MAC football of course!

We got to talking, him being an older gentleman from St. Henry, and myself being middle-aged from Coldwater. The guy was going on about how dynasties started, and how the league was basically forced the way it played the game of football over the years because of the quality competition, etc., etc., and so on. The guy made a compliment comment that I'm not too sure I can argue with.

This guy said that he thought that Coach Goodwin from MSML just might be THE smartest coach he has ever seen. I'm not so sure I can argue that at this particular point in time. He also stated that for the smaller schools, he just might be the smartest coach in the entire country! I thought that was a heck of a compliment. He is basing those statements off of Coach Goodwin's playoff past, especially against MAC school's that he had to play twice. That, and to mention his playbook. His teams are usually well disciplined, and can run anything.

Now, I remember Coach Reed from CW winning quite a few battles with Coach Goodwin over the years, but I have to say that those were pretty rare compliments.

The best in the country? What do you guys think? Don't be shy MAC guys...
Old 06-25-17, 01:37 PM
Junior Varsity

Vinegar is on a distinguished road
No. Chance.

Not something anybody can have any knowledge of. Pretty damn good coach. Enjoy him!
Old 06-25-17, 03:56 PM
All Region

fireflyer is on a distinguished road
When my grandson was playing D for ML, I told him I thought Coach Goodwin was nothing short of a magician. He looked at me for a moment and said "well, I don't think he's magic. Most of us think he's brilliant, though. He just always knows what to do, no matter what it is. He never doesn't know what to do." Interesting. I think that trait also inspires utter respect in his players--he just very rarely steers them wrong. He is a very gifted coach. I don't know if he's the best small-school coach in the country, but my oldest son, who coaches high school football in Texas, said that he had personally never seen or known of a coach better than Goodwin. That's a great compliment from someone who coaches in the most football-elite state in America.
Old 06-25-17, 06:44 PM
All American

What makes Goodwin an excellent coach is that he keeps it simple. If he has a very good player i.e. Goettemoller or Hunter Wilker he gives them the football, or if a certain play is working he keeps running it till the other team stops it. But as far as being the best coach in the country he might not even be the best in the MAC, that honor may belong to Chip Otten from Coldwater.
Old 06-28-17, 08:21 PM
All Ohio

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
The Maria Stein Countryfest QB challenge was this past weekend. I saw on twitter that there were 14 quarterbacks (Coldwater sent 3) and the top 3 were as follows:

1. Sam Broering CW (2nd straight year)
2. Alex May CW
3. Nate Bruns ML
Old 06-28-17, 09:54 PM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
So Coldwater has the top two QBs in the MAC? Definitely the favorites.
Old 06-29-17, 12:33 PM
All District

.. so Goodwin goes from being a strong nominee for greatest coach in the entire U.S. to possibly being second to a man who coaches only a few miles away - at a school that actually borders Marion Local.

So he could be the best in all 50 states! ... or he might not even be tops in the southeast corner of his rural county.

Now that's quite a difference.

Last edited by CJK84; 06-29-17 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-29-17, 01:39 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
So Coldwater has the top two QBs in the MAC? Definitely the favorites.
There is being good in some competition and good in games, if the performance in jv games last year is any indication then it could be a long season I cold water from the qb spot
Old 06-29-17, 03:24 PM
All Region

fireflyer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK84 View Post
.. so Goodwin goes from being a strong nominee for greatest coach in the entire U.S. to possibly being second to a coach mere miles away - at a school that actually borders Marion Local.

So he could be the best in all 50 states! ... or he might not even be tops in the southeast corner of his rural county.

Not sure the coaching skills of Goodwin or Otten can be quantified. There's only one measurable: winning games. And both do that a LOT. I think the communities and players are pretty happy with both of them. It's a bonus if they also helped turn boys into good, decent men; I've seen these two do that too, through the years. Coach Goodwin sealed my undying admiration for him in the 2013 post state win gathering. ML beat Trimble for for the crown. Goodwin said he received the best praise he had ever heard for his team--Trimble's coach told him that the ML team were "great gentlemen, great sports, and the most humble and kind boys he'd ever seen". Goodwin told the crowd he would trade that gold trophy for that compliment ANY DAY, and you'd have to know him to know that he meant that 100%. Good man, good coach. You can't do better than that.
Old 06-29-17, 04:32 PM
All District

Quote:
There is being good in some competition and good in games
If the qb results are from the CountryFest, then you can take them to the bank - the local farmers always get things right!

Last edited by CJK84; 06-29-17 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-29-17, 07:10 PM
All Region

Rangerfan is on a distinguished road
One could argue Fort Recovery's Brent Niekamp has done a more impressive coaching job than either Goodwin or Otten.
Old 06-29-17, 07:18 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK84 View Post
.. so Goodwin goes from being a strong nominee for greatest coach in the entire U.S. to possibly being second to a man who coaches only a few miles away - at a school that actually borders Marion Local.

Uh you are talking about D6 and D7 football. Uh club teams in most states. Uh almost beyond unbelievable you people talk like these schools are among the best in the state. Best in all 50 states? Uh yeah right. Keep living the dream and forget about reality don't look back, somebody might be gaining on you.
Old 06-29-17, 07:38 PM
All American

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Uh you are talking about D6 and D7 football. Uh club teams in most states. Uh almost beyond unbelievable you people talk like these schools are among the best in the state. Best in all 50 states? Uh yeah right. Keep living the dream and forget about reality don't look back, somebody might be gaining on you.
Your reading comprehension totally sucks. Go ask a 3rd grader to read the post to you.... slowly.