Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-05-17, 09:09 AM
All Ohio

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
Princeton is a charter member of the GMC so while they may struggle in some sports I would guess that they would stay unless voted out which I don't see happening.

Despite a smaller enrollment, Sycamore fares quite well in the GMC overall.

Football may not ever be a dominant power but they have done well overall on the gridiron.

Their country club sports-golf, tennis, swimming are all very strong as well as academic team and chess. Cross country and track are upper tier in the GMC, too. The student access to off season facilities, coaching, and other resources I would say is higher than the average high school which works in their favor.

West Clermont needs to show that they can hang in the top tier of the ECC for a few years in the majority of their sports to look attractive to the GMC, I think. The quickest path beyond that is for a current GMC member to decide to depart for another conference. Having a large high school is all well and good but if you are in the bottom tier of a conference playing schools primarily half your size, that's not a marketable quality.
Old 05-05-17, 09:19 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUcats82 View Post
Princeton is a charter member of the GMC so while they may struggle in some sports I would guess that they would stay unless voted out which I don't see happening.

Despite a smaller enrollment, Sycamore fares quite well in the GMC overall.

Football may not ever be a dominant power but they have done well overall on the gridiron.

Their country club sports-golf, tennis, swimming are all very strong as well as academic team and chess. Cross country and track are upper tier in the GMC, too. The student access to off season facilities, coaching, and other resources I would say is higher than the average high school which works in their favor.

West Clermont needs to show that they can hang in the top tier of the ECC for a few years in the majority of their sports to look attractive to the GMC, I think. The quickest path beyond that is for a current GMC member to decide to depart for another conference. Having a large high school is all well and good but if you are in the bottom tier of a conference playing schools primarily half your size, that's not a marketable quality.
Agree. With Princeton as a charter member it would have to be their choice to go and then the only logical place for them would be the ECC. I have no idea if this is on their radar or not though. I only include Sycamore because at some point they will likely fall solidly into D2 and then the ECC might look more attractive to them.

You're right that West Clermont needs to show that they can compete across multiple sports in the ECC before they ever think of moving to the GMC. But given the rate of growth in the district if they start to dominate like Mason did prior to joining the GMC Clermont will probably be politely asked to move!

To be clear my ideal outcome wold be that everyone stays put in the GMC with West Clermont & another school joining in the next few years to make it a 12 team conference.
Old 05-05-17, 10:36 AM
All Yappi

CardinalsFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Damn, I don't recall Colerain playing a 3-time state champion with 3,000 boys.
You're correct. I just get overwhelmed looking at 150 on the sidelines on Friday night.

1,600...better?

-CF
Old 05-05-17, 10:39 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Old 05-09-17, 09:45 PM
Varsity

HardCorps is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalsFan View Post
I predict you are wrong.

Lakota East had TWO players make 1st or 2nd team All-Conference last year that is returning: QB Dylan Fry and DL Sam Ballman.

Colerain has EIGHT 1st or 2nd teamers returning.

I will say this. You are absolutely correct when you say Colerain has become predictable: 17 GMC Championships in a row

Just sayin'....

-CardinalsFan
Ouch!
Old 07-20-17, 04:08 AM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
Going further out on the limb I could also see someone joining the GMC with Clermont to create a 12 team league with football splitting into two geographically logical divisions. I suspect that Lebanon, Springboro or maybe even Centerville would all be candidates. IMO Springboro would be the most likely candidate and the two divisons might look like this:

East:
Springboro
Clermont
Mason
Sycamore
Lakota East
Lakota West

West:
Fairfield
Princeton
Hamilton
Middletown
Oak Hills
Colerain

If you kept it to 8 league games per season then you would have 5 division games with 3 rotating games from the other division. You would then get two "division" champs and the overall GMC champ would be selected from the team with the best overall conference record, head to head results and Harbin point totals.

Of course this is all PURE speculation being that it's May and no real football news to talk about.
Why not go with 8 leagues games, 5 division games to determine the division champ and 3 crossover division games. Make the week 8 game be the conference championship game between the top 2 teams from each division. If the two division champs end up already being scheduled for week 8, perfect. If not, you have the two opponents the division champs were scheduled to play, play each other instead.
Old 07-20-17, 08:12 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
Why not go with 8 leagues games, 5 division games to determine the division champ and 3 crossover division games. Make the week 8 game be the conference championship game between the top 2 teams from each division. If the two division champs end up already being scheduled for week 8, perfect. If not, you have the two opponents the division champs were scheduled to play, play each other instead.
I'm not sure if this is right Philly but my understanding is that OHSAA doesn't allow "floater" games in which the schedule isn't finalized at the start of the season. This makes having a week 8 game that is TBD to select an outright champ difficult. Also as you paired off the rest of the league for week 8 play you couldn't have the same teams play again as that also poses issues with respect to Harbin points. I believe that if you used a combination of division record, overall record, head to head match-ups and total Harbin points you could break a tie at the the top.

BTW, now that this thread is alive again what are peoples thoughts on the two big questions for the GMC this year:

1) Who will win the league and who are the playoff teams coming out of the GMC

2) Will the 8 game league schedule "help" or "hurt" the ability of Teams from the GMC to make the playoffs?

On (1) I have no idea of how #1 - #10 will shake out except that Colerain should win the GMC and be in the playoffs. I think that if FF can lock down the QB position with a productive player than they are a solid candidate to make the playoffs again. I'll have a better idea after I watch the 2nd scrimmage to see if they've been able to replace some of the key kids they lost to graduation on defense and at the skill positions.

On (2) I think the new league format will be a wash with regard to Harbin points and be a win for the athletic departments in simplifying scheduling and goosing game day receipts and cutting travel costs.
Old 07-20-17, 12:21 PM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
I have little understanding of Ohio rules, so if everything you say is true then disregarded everything I said lol
Old 07-20-17, 04:49 PM
Varsity

footballfan32 is on a distinguished road
Having lost only 1 confrence game since 2000, Colerain is the unequivocal top spot in the GMC until proven otherwise.
Old 07-20-17, 10:03 PM
Junior Varsity

NastyNati12 is on a distinguished road
Watch out for Lakota West. 3 studs in the front 7, including a 5 star MLB. In coming sophomore QB Horton has a Louisville offer and has weapons around him. Honestly the only thing holding this team back will be Sgt. Cox.
Old 07-21-17, 06:32 AM
All World

CardDad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Damn, I don't recall Colerain playing a 3-time state champion with 3,000 boys.
Maybe a slight exageration. 2 State Championships(as I recall) and around 1,600 boys. Colerain has around 700 boys.
Old 07-21-17, 06:46 AM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNati12 View Post
Watch out for Lakota West. 3 studs in the front 7, including a 5 star MLB. In coming sophomore QB Horton has a Louisville offer and has weapons around him. Honestly the only thing holding this team back will be Sgt. Cox.
So, pretty much the same as every other year.
Old 07-21-17, 11:36 AM
Varsity

mike45069 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish82 View Post
So, pretty much the same as every other year.
And like every other year, some non division 1 hard nosed Colerain kid will destroy the D1 studs from West. I want West to break through and beat Colerain but all the D1 talent never seems to make any plays against the 1 or 2 star hard nosed Colerain players. Maybe it's the collective 11 vs 11, but I would bet on a non college guy from Colerain against any of these d1 studs this year.
Old 07-21-17, 12:10 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike45069 View Post
And like every other year, some non division 1 hard nosed Colerain kid will destroy the D1 studs from West. I want West to break through and beat Colerain but all the D1 talent never seems to make any plays against the 1 or 2 star hard nosed Colerain players. Maybe it's the collective 11 vs 11, but I would bet on a non college guy from Colerain against any of these d1 studs this year.
Dude.
Old 07-21-17, 02:45 PM
Moderated User

hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
Uh dude it is called speed.
Old 07-21-17, 03:55 PM
This is the year

gocards is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJJ5 View Post
Getting away with the rivalry game does stink, I know the Lakota game week 10 is tradition for both those schools and community. It's a shame getting away from it
Outside of the Lakota game what other games are really rivalry games?
Old 07-21-17, 06:31 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocards View Post
Hamilton/Fairfield is a pretty decent rivalry game though the series tends to run in streaks. My guess though is that the rivalry games were thrown out because outside of East/West & FF/Big Blue none of the others were true "rivalry" games.
Old 07-21-17, 06:36 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
Hamilton/Fairfield is a pretty decent rivalry game though the series tends to run in streaks. My guess though is that the rivalry games were thrown out because outside of East/West & FF/Big Blue none of the others were true "rivalry" games.
Uh over the years Middletown Princeton was a war. Cant remember all the outstanding players who played in this game. Although Princeton won most of the time, it was a great game to see. Times have changed but the memories are still there.
Old 07-21-17, 10:34 PM
All Region

Comet Dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNati12 View Post
That 5 star MLB is only a 5 star because of his build. Name me one thing he did last year that makes him a 5 star. No all Southwest, no all GMC conference, about 40 tackles. When he played against the tough teams he basically folded up. Most of his highlight reel was against sub .500 teams. He was basically punked in the drills at the Opening Finals. How he got there after not competing in Cleveland should tell you how bogus that is. We'll see just how well he does this year. That is, if he somehow remains eligible the entire year. Urban Meier backed off him when he started to get reports about his academics. There's a number of quality individuals and players in the GMC, he's just not one of them.

Last edited by Comet Dad; 07-21-17 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-21-17, 10:38 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocards View Post
East / West
Mason / Sycamore
Fairfield / Hamilton
Middletown / Princeton
Old 07-21-17, 10:44 PM
All Region

Quote:
I'll take a 5'7" Jayvee kid from Colerain before I even looked at one of Larrys overhyped prospects.
Old 07-22-17, 05:17 AM
All Region

Gameday10 is on a distinguished road
I think Mason could be sneaky good this year. I think they finish 2nd behind Colerain. Mason isn't big but they are fast. I think Zaid the Defensive lineman is a stud and will cause many problems for teams. The only downfall with Mason is play calling they will need to spread ball around on Offense and not just use the one WR all the time. Last year one of the coaches kids caught just about every ball, we get the fact your trying to get him recruited but use all of your weapons to make the offense less predictable.
Old 07-22-17, 06:52 AM
All Yappi

Wow...Looks like Xavier must have banged Comet Dadís daughter or something.
Old 07-22-17, 07:35 AM
Freshman

Dunder Mifflin is on a distinguished road
Colerain wins the league. FF and Mason are next best and probably make the playoffs. East West Sycamore and Hamilton should all be around .500. Oak Hills Princeton and Middletown will be at the bottom of the league.
Old 07-22-17, 08:11 AM
All Region

Quote:
Wow...Looks like Xavier must have banged Comet Dad’s daughter or something.
Nah, she's a way better judge of character! What's the old comment about, "talent talks, bull$h!t walks"? Well, Peters is a walker. He always stood out because he's been the biggest on the field. Just don't try to find his character or heart because you'll be all day.
Old 07-22-17, 12:21 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet Dad View Post
Nah, she's a way better judge of character! What's the old comment about, "talent talks, bull$h!t walks"? Well, Peters is a walker. He always stood out because he's been the biggest on the field. Just don't try to find his character or heart because you'll be all day.
While I agree that he got his 5* primarily from his measurables, itís obvious that you either have something against him, or really havenít watched him play very much.
Old 07-22-17, 12:25 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
I have little understanding of Ohio rules, so if everything you say is true then disregarded everything I said lol
It is true, those games would not count in the Harbin totals.
Old 07-22-17, 12:52 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
While I agree that he got his 5* primarily from his measurables, itís obvious that you either have something against him, or really havenít watched him play very much.
uh, this is one of many unfortunately, very gifted athletes who have trouble with authority and life skills. Wish him the best. There is no question this kid is physically amazing.
Old 07-22-17, 06:26 PM
All Region

Quote:
While I agree that he got his 5* primarily from his measurables, it’s obvious that you either have something against him, or really haven’t watched him play very much.
I have nothing personal against him and I've watched him for the past five, and soon to be six years. My biggest problem with him is he has always viewed himself as more important than the team. When things start to go south, he always checks out. Since you seem to have a different opinion on this, I'm just curious if you could present some statistics or on field accomplishments to back your argument. He had the same measurables last year as he does now. While he looked great against Oak Hills, Middletown and Princeton he was way overmatched when it came to the good teams.
Old 07-22-17, 06:30 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
uh, this is one of many unfortunately, very gifted athletes who have trouble with authority and life skills. Wish him the best. There is no question this kid is physically amazing.
Prisons and homeless shelters are filled with individuals who were once "physically amazing".