Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-10-17, 02:24 PM
All Region

buccaneers2002 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dappling View Post
If Perrysburg is rebuilding and Maumee is senior-laden, could this be the year that the Panthers beat the Jackets?
How long has it been since Maumee beat Perrysburg?
Old 08-10-17, 02:56 PM
All District

NLLRAM is on a distinguished road
I think Maumee goes 7-3 and wins a playoff game.
Old 08-10-17, 03:57 PM
All World

1disciple is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneers2002 View Post
How long has it been since Maumee beat Perrysburg?
Since 2011
Old 08-10-17, 07:35 PM
Junior Varsity

dappling is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLLRAM View Post
I think Maumee goes 7-3 and wins a playoff game.
I would take that!
Old 08-10-17, 08:01 PM
All American

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Coach Gibson has had four years for his strength and conditioning program to take hold. He had a lot of success at clyde, so hopefully that will transfer to Maumee.
Maumee kids are not Clyde kids.
Old 08-11-17, 05:35 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
Insightful!
Old 08-11-17, 09:47 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Insightful!
Yes, but not so much that an exclamation point is required.
Old 08-11-17, 12:01 PM
All American

Whizzer King is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So true on many accounts! With an added exclamation point!!
Old 08-11-17, 12:55 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Care to expound on that comment? Very similar blue collar demographic. Maumee was obviously never state champs, but they have advanced to the 2nd round of the playoffs three times.

CHS71...I think that you are a former coach. I am sure that you have been on the losing side in games vs. Maumee
Old 08-11-17, 04:00 PM
All American

Quote:
Care to expound on that comment? Very similar blue collar demographic. Maumee was obviously never state champs, but they have advanced to the 2nd round of the playoffs three times.

CHS71...I think that you are a former coach. I am sure that you have been on the losing side in games vs. Maumee
Lots of respect for both Coaches LaFountaine and Boles. Won some and lost some. And I've met Coach Gibson. But I'm prejudiced for the Fliers. It's CHS1971 for a reason.

Similar? Maybe, but there's a lot more redneck in Clyde and Green Springs than there is on the banks of the Maumee River.

Last edited by chs1971; 08-11-17 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-11-17, 04:02 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizzer King View Post
So true on many accounts!
Well, there is that too.
Old 08-11-17, 04:03 PM
Junior Varsity

Da Bad Guy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You are correct but to be fair, an argument could be made that most other schools are not Clyde kids. They have and always will be a football school.
Old 08-11-17, 04:14 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Lots of respect for both Coaches LaFontaine and Boles. Won some and lost some. And I've met Coach Gibson. But I'm prejudiced for the Fliers. It's CHS1971 for a reason.

Similar? Maybe, but there's a lot more redneck in Clyde and Green Springs than there is on the banks of the Maumee River.
Not sure what image comes to your mind when you hear "redneck" but not for me to pick peoples' stereotypes for them. Maumee is hardly toney. Very blue-collar place. A small town next to a big one. Quite honestly, if one could take all the Maumee kids that played at Toledo privates and put them on Maumee teams, they'd be a premier program I think.

IB?
Old 08-11-17, 04:26 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Not sure what image comes to your mind when you hear "redneck" ...
More than fifteen years ago Clyde was at Perrysburg and just crushing them. As the teams left the field at halftime the Fliers sprinted to catch up with the Jackets and crowded right up behind them as they went out the gate. One of the big Fliers up front yelled out, "Smell that boys? That's Perrysburg p****!"

That's the image that comes to my mind.
Old 08-11-17, 07:35 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
More than fifteen years ago Clyde was at Perrysburg and just crushing them. As the teams left the field at halftime the Fliers sprinted to catch up with the Jackets and crowded right up behind them as they went out the gate. One of the big Fliers up front yelled out, "Smell that boys? That's Perrysburg p****!"

Impressive!
Old 08-11-17, 07:46 PM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Wow what a story!?

Small town pride in Ohio can be a very cool thing. And at other times, the most disgusting thing you ever saw. Like when a 60 year old decides to tell some juvenile story from 20 years ago on an internet forum and you can sense that he gets his little rocks off over it.

Trust me bro, you and a couple other sorry saps MIGHT remember that hors$hit story let alone tell it, but I'm certain no one fro Perrysburg remembers nor cares (nor should they).

On a positive note, how Clyde beat that Uber talented CCHS team several years ago still amazes me. One in a million and they found that ONE. I remember the Long's and Tim Anderson and like most public schools there are also down years. But nonetheless great tradition.

Perrysburg 15-20 years ago was bad. Really bad. That of course has all changed. Two and three years ago they'd a smoked Clyde. But we are comparing apples to oranges and I'm entering a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

Maumee is an OLD town. Get away from River Rd. and it is your average blue collar middle class suburb. As mentioned, the Panthers have great tradition going back past Lafontaine and Boles. Guys like LaVrar and Goatley come to mind. What also comes to mind is the countless kids who wound up at privates (Goatley's older brother), again, as mentioned. Lots of Johnny football stars were Maumee born and bred. Keep in mind, only a couple schools in NWOhio can boast a Heisman Trophy winner and Maumee is one of them. As for the 2017 version of the Panthers the Phillips kid would fit right in at Clyde. Dynamite wrestler and tough as nails football player. Speaking of Hal Lafontaine, is his old three wheeled golf cart still around? They should bronze that thing.

Back to NLL news, caught the Whitmer/AW scrimmage tonight. Pretty good. Whitmer scored 3 to AW 1 for a half but it was probably a little closer than that. Both teams were hampered by no contact and quick whistles on the QB.

Whitmer is at Springfield next week which should be interesting as well. Two young talented QB's slinging the ball around.
Old 08-12-17, 07:24 AM
Varsity

single wing is an unknown quantity at this point
Any other NLL reports from last night?

Perrysburg hosting O-G this morning.
Old 08-12-17, 07:31 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Wow what a story!?

Small town pride in Ohio can be a very cool thing. And at other times, the most disgusting thing you ever saw. Like when a 60 year old decides to tell some juvenile story from 20 years ago on an internet forum and you can sense that he gets his little rocks off over it.

Trust me bro, you and a couple other sorry saps MIGHT remember that hors$hit story let alone tell it, but I'm certain no one fro Perrysburg remembers nor cares (nor should they).
I'm certain that I don't know if anyone from Perrysburg remembers or not, and I certainly do not care if anyone from Perrysburg remembers or not. But somehow you do know. How? And you do care. Why?

You just can't help being what you are, can you?

Please, in no way consider me to be your "bro."
Old 08-12-17, 09:00 AM
Junior Varsity

Del Griffith is on a distinguished road
If Perrysburg is rebuilding and Maumee is senior-laden, could this be the year that the Panthers beat the Jackets?

ummm.....I'm going with NO
Old 08-12-17, 09:08 AM
Junior Varsity

Del Griffith is on a distinguished road
"More than fifteen years ago Clyde was at Perrysburg and just crushing them. As the teams left the field at halftime the Fliers sprinted to catch up with the Jackets and crowded right up behind them as they went out the gate. One of the big Fliers up front yelled out, "Smell that boys? That's Perrysburg p****!"

CHS-just the year before that, those Perrysburg P...... as you put it, were thumping your fliers on Clydes home field.....
Old 08-12-17, 10:14 AM
All World

Quote:
I'm certain that I don't know if anyone from Perrysburg remembers or not, and I certainly do not care if anyone from Perrysburg remembers or not. But somehow you do know. How? And you do care. Why?

You just can't help being what you are, can you?

Please, in no way consider me to be your "bro."
It was a backhanded comment.

Please, head back to wherever the F you might have some relevance because it Is not here.
Old 08-12-17, 01:51 PM
Junior Varsity

CHS1971...Clyde tore up the SBC playing Port Clinton, Margaretta and Sandusky St. Mary's every year. Tough schedule. The NLL was always better from top to bottom than the SBC..basically any time in the NLL can beat you on any given night.

Let's see how the vaunted Clyde does now that they have parity in the Lake Division of the SBC.

Maumee is as blue collar as they come. I don't think (in my lifetime) that Maumee has lost any significant kids to St. John's. A lot of those kids might have Maumee mailing addresses, but they are in either Springfield or AW.

FYI...the only Goatley to go to St. John's was Brad. He came back after his sophomore year.

I would also bet CHS1971 that Maumee under Bole's and Hal LaFountaine had a winning record against every NLL school (or close to it).

I remember one time Hal saying (after beating Southview and Northview) that he wished that there was an Eastview and a Westview as well.
Old 08-12-17, 02:24 PM
Varsity

single wing is an unknown quantity at this point
Ottawa Glandorf handled Perrysburg pretty well this morning.
Old 08-12-17, 02:32 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
It was a backhanded comment.
Actually no it was not. There was no compliment at all. Proving that no matter what else you are, you're also ignorant.

"A a backhanded compliment is an insult that is disguised as, or accompanied by, a compliment, especially in situations where the belittling or condescension is intentional."
Old 08-12-17, 02:47 PM
All American

Quote:
CHS1971...Clyde tore up the SBC playing Port Clinton, Margaretta and Sandusky St. Mary's every year. Tough schedule. The NLL was always better from top to bottom than the SBC..basically any time in the NLL can beat you on any given night.
No question. NLL schools are a lot bigger than SBC schools.

Quote:
Let's see how the vaunted Clyde does now that they have parity in the Lake Division of the SBC.
No question.

Quote:
Maumee is as blue collar as they come.
Median Household Income:
Maumee - $56,016
Rossford - 43,776
Napoleon - 42,657
Clyde - 39,764
Fostoria - 34,708
Sandusky - 34,377
Fremont - 33,445
Green Springs - 33,553
Old 08-12-17, 03:16 PM
All World

Quote:

Maumee is as blue collar as they come. I don't think (in my lifetime) that Maumee has lost any significant kids to St. John's. A lot of those kids might have Maumee mailing addresses, but they are in either Springfield or AW.

FYI...the only Goatley to go to St. John's was Brad. He came back after his sophomore year.

I would also bet CHS1971 that Maumee under Bole's and Hal LaFountaine had a winning record against every NLL school (or close to it).

I remember one time Hal saying (after beating Southview and Northview) that he wished that there was an Eastview and a Westview as well.
Hal was funny.

Goatley was who I was referring. How many brothers were there? Brad was 6'2 225 LB type right? Brother was smaller but darn good qb. Who was the QB around the same timeframe as his brother? Schneider? Boles a couple really tough QB's.
Old 08-12-17, 03:25 PM
All World

Quote:
Actually no it was not. There was no compliment at all. Proving that no matter what else you are, you're also ignorant.

"A a backhanded compliment is an insult that is disguised as, or accompanied by, a compliment, especially in situations where the belittling or condescension is intentional."
You again? Why are you still here?

Comment not compliment. Jesus dude, you do not know when you've had enough. What are you quoting there chief? Backhanded "compliment" definition from Google? Burn. Got me.

It was a backhanded comment because you obviously are not my "bro". Since your comprehension is poor here is the definition you should have found had you actually typed in what I wrote: "The definition of backhanded refers to a comment that is sarcastic and that isn't as it appears on the surface."

You've run your course here.

There has to be some $hithole bar in Clyde where you can talk about HS p**** stories from 20 years ago that weren't even your own. Then again, that crowd probably wouldn't even tolerate you.
Old 08-12-17, 03:45 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

I wouldn't go into what you're meaning by "significant," but there've been more than that to SJJ and "lost" a few to Central Catholic. Enough to make a difference. Our point being, as you know, there's not much difference between Clyde and Maumee kids. He's just being an azzhat, seems kind of sad to be so angry.
Old 08-12-17, 03:52 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dappling
Maumee is as blue collar as they come.
Median Household Income:
Maumee - $56,016
Rossford - 43,776
Napoleon - 42,657
Clyde - 39,764
Fostoria - 34,708
Sandusky - 34,377
Fremont - 33,445
Green Springs - 33,553
Good group of blue collar towns. Sandusky and Fremont lower than I thought. Factory work picking up pretty good around Toledo. Lots more options for two parent income employment.

Payscale has average salary in Maumee at 45K trending down and 42K trending up in Clyde.

City Data has Clyde's median household at 46.5K
Old 08-12-17, 05:10 PM
Junior Varsity

Hi East...

Brad Goatley was the 6'2 225 LB. He signed with Miami of Ohio, but never really played as he had chronic shoulder injuries.

Jake Goatley came along several years later. Great QB and great, smart kid. He was a cousin.

Jake Schneider was an all time great at Maumee. Played QB after Jake Goatley. He signed with and played a couple of years at Tiffin University. When he was QB incidentally, that was the last time Maumee beat P-Burg. His little brother is a DB right now at Maumee. Nice family.

When you are looking at average salaries in Maumee, remember that the Maumee school district encompasses a part of 43614 in Toledo. However, there are big chunks of the Maumee zip code (43537) that are AW and Springfield.

I saw a print out several years ago that showed that Maumee City Schools has the second lowest median household income in the NLL. BG was lowest, which surprised me.