Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-03-17, 03:21 PM
Varsity

Cardboard Palace is on a distinguished road
One school for non athletes and one school for athletes. Kinda like TSA and ????.
Old 07-04-17, 11:33 AM
Junior Varsity

Jackets is on a distinguished road
Heard that Perrysburg invited some alumni for a 7 on 7 last week and the current players won. Not that 7 on 7s or alumni games mean anything but...
Old 07-05-17, 11:34 AM
Freshman

single wing is an unknown quantity at this point
How will Bowling Green and Maumee be this year?
Old 07-06-17, 10:21 AM
All District

NLLBEST is on a distinguished road
Yeah a win over alumni in 7 on 7 football means less to me than a win over another high school team would and that's still not much.

Maumee probably won't be very deep but they'll have EMU commit Haney (6'4, 270) and 2nd place finisher at D2 state wrestler Phillips (6'2 230) on both sides of the line. Their other Olineman should range from 235-260 with a couple returning starters. Not sure what offense they'll run but Brown and Perez are back as skill players and Cleghorn at running back is tough. Overall I think they'll run the ball more this year than they have in the past but have weapons if they find the qb to utilize them. Defensively Maumee returns their entire line, 2 of 4 at lb and 3 of 4 in the secondary. A couple key holes to fill in the middle of the defense but overall I thought the defensive unit played pretty well last year and returns nearly everyone. I've said it before and I'll say it again, anything under 6-4 Or 7-3 with a playoff appearance would be a disappointing year for the panthers.
Old 07-07-17, 01:52 AM
All District

Oaks is on a distinguished road
I heard tonight the Springfield coach may be suspended for a few games. I don't know why but I checked with 3 people and they heard the same thing.
Old 07-07-17, 08:32 AM
Freshman

Here is the article regarding information about Springfield's coach:

http://www.bcsn.tv/news_article/show...rrer_id=916753

Also, I heard that they were in helmets and practicing in the spring.
Old 07-07-17, 11:53 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by single wing View Post

Do you have a publically available link or willing to identify yourself?

Because we're used to those that start accounts, alt id or new to talk about what disparaging thing they "heard" about someone else and we pretty much assume it's just some puzzy that got his azz handed to him and can't accept an adult way of responding. Not saying this applies to you, you seem genuinely new and certainly not to discourage you at all from talking here so just advice/opinion. If they did this or not, it's easy to come off much, much sadder with this "I heard" stuff. There's a process. If there's something to play out, let it play out until it becomes public? Making anonymous implications, that's just not fair.

As for the other, they self-reported, it was in the papers months ago and only in again now because it has been decided to challenge the sanctions. Sounds like an up-and-up mistake they themselves recognized and for which they've taken and being held responsible. Adults.
Old 07-07-17, 11:59 AM
Junior Varsity

Del Griffith is on a distinguished road
I guess we'll find out if Coach Gucciardo takes, as you say, responsibility as an Adult, when he addresses the OHSAA. I hope he does as you say above.....
Old 07-07-17, 12:33 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Griffith View Post
I guess we'll find out if Coach Gucciardo takes, as you say, responsibility as an Adult, when he addresses the OHSAA. I hope he does as you say above.....
"does?" Seems he already "did."

Is there something you're taking from that article that implies responsibility wasn't taken? They self-reported. They self-imposed penalties. They promised to correct (of course, proof is in the puding but that applies to everyone, reported, caught or not). What's missing?

I don't think it's unusual to appeal a penalty in almost any decision. Appeal is part of the process. You proposing that should be done away with or just that no one should avail themselves the opportunity? Doesn't seem as if Holland Springfield obfuscated or diminished their actions in anyway. What else should be expected from a school?
Old 07-07-17, 12:45 PM
All District

Trailsendcustom is on a distinguished road
There are only a few coaches that I don't mind seeing get suspended. He may be different now but I witnessed him do some things at Start games that were not representative of what a good coach and person would do.
Old 07-07-17, 02:02 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailsendcustom View Post
There are only a few coaches that I don't mind seeing get suspended. He may be different nowbut I witnessed him do some things at Start games that were not representative of what a good coach and person would do.

I could say that about pretty much every coach I've seen on the sideline, at least once or if not there, real life. He's been at this a long time, I have to believe he's getting pretty positive reviews from those he teaches and coaches and works for?

Is there anything applicable here other than the present?

Coaching is THE most public performance in the educational process, that most don't have on their resume. It's more public than Superintendent. An actor only has to worry about their performance. A coach, well that's performance AND competitive AND live. Mistakes are going to be made and personalities handling stress are going to be seen.

I've come to a point where I see most on-field/on-court coaches as doing something most could not or would not, regardless their personal motivations. I don't feel I can presume those motivations are negative.
Old 07-07-17, 03:02 PM
Varsity

NLLRAM is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Technically they were, as Team Camp was prior to "the first day of summer in June"
Old 07-08-17, 10:36 AM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Quote:

"I heard" - gotta love it.

It is actually a shame how bad the Blade has become. Even 10 years ago this place would have exploded after significant, and usually muck raking, articles but today there is hardly a whisper because so many people refuse to read the rag anymore.

I vacation several times a year in the Clearwater/St. Pete area and am always amazed at the great positive coverage the local newspapers offer their community in regard to local prep sports coverage. Several weeks ago they did a special on all of the local baseball talent and where they were heading for school and did not even need a gimmick like they all fished together too.

A couple years ago working in Canton and I picked up the Rep and it did some similar coverage on all of the local football talent. All positive, many kids covered, no "pimp", as someone eloquently put it in the past in regard to the Blade.

It is amazing how Toledo eats their own. If you did not know any better you'd think Junga's office is on Cherry St. If anyone from outside the area did not know any different they'd wonder why the QB at EMU gets so much love? Too much "pimp" for me.

Corso and Cole need to go away and BCSN needs to lose all of the gimmick wanna be ESPN schticks and the Blade needs to focus more on GOOD local athletes here and beyond. I'll still read the story on the QB from the 1-9 Stritch team but the fact is that kid does not play at 90% of the other HS's in the area. It is not hard, they are out there. NLLBEST listed two kids that I would really like to hear about (Phillips and Haney) in a positive manner with no gimmick side story, such as they are also fishing buddies. Both of those kids would start at 100% of HS's in the area.

* - In 1994, before the Blade blasted Start baseball for having so many kids out of district they did a really nice story on how three of their top players were also good fishing buddies. Lose the gimmick. Lose the "pimp".
Old 07-10-17, 02:06 AM
All District

Irish_buffalo I really agree with a lot of what you said about the blade and bcsn. I know Bcsn used to cover high school football and hockey especially pretty well with shows like ice check and another similar for football but I'm blanking on the name. The blade puts out an issue on Thursday's with a focus on high school sports but outside of those things I believe they are missing the main purpose many people wanted to watch their channel and read their sports section.
Old 07-10-17, 10:16 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
I could say that about pretty much every coach I've seen on the sideline, at least once or if not there, real life. He's been at this a long time, I have to believe he's getting pretty positive reviews from those he teaches and coaches and works for?
I go to 20+ HS games a year, I have never seen another coach drag a kid off the field by his facemask screaming "you stupid motherf*&ker" at a player after a facemask penalty. With only 81 Start fans with me in the stands(yeah, I counted) I could hear it very clearly.

Now I'm not the language police but I feel its never ok to directly berate a player like that. Add that in with the facemask yank that would get you fired most places nowadays, I don't have many good things to say about the man.

Maybe that was a one time incident but with him running up the score on the Scott, Libbey and Woodward every chance he could(late third, starters in, up 45, still throwing deep) and his teams pregame antics(sending them out to midfield through the other teams band while they were playing the alma mater etc.) I will never be a fan.

Last edited by Trailsendcustom; 07-10-17 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-11-17, 06:12 AM
All Yappi

I'm not a "fan" but I can think of a long list of people who have contributed positively that I would think less of. To each their own. IB, I recall you also are not a "fan" of but how about you? You ever have a coach you STILL respect behave in less than honorable manner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailsendcustom;6787986

1)
I go to 20+ HS games a year, I have never seen another coach drag a kid off the field by his facemask screaming "you stupid motherf*&ker" at a player after a facemask penalty. With only 81 Start fans with me in the stands(yeah, I counted) I could hear it very clearly.

Now I'm not the language police but I feel its never ok to directly berate a player like that. Add that in with the facemask yank that would get you fired most places nowadays, I don't have many good things to say about the man.

Maybe that was a one time incident

2) but with him running up the score on the Scott, Libbey and Woodward every chance he could(late third, starters in, up 45, still throwing deep) and his teams pregame antics(sending them out to midfield through the other teams band while they were playing the alma mater etc.) I will never be a fan.
As I posted and you didn't refute, it's a very public position. I't a good topic, "judgments" but "being a fan of" isn't really a very significant judgment is it?

2) Again, something I've seen on many occasions, I'm surprised you haven't. I think we can recall an incident made into quite the big deal, where a local private did exactly what you describe and it was the response of the public that was the only consideration when it came to doling out judgement. Apparently what you describe is quite the accepted behavior.

A reason that you chose those three schools to mention as opposed to other obvious choices? I'd be hard pressed to come up with any team or coach not involved repeated lobsided scores that I believe from my expert seat I could have avoided.. I don't agree with it anymore than you do but it wouldn't play into my judgment of the personal nature of the man..To each their own.

1) I've certainly seen coaches berate, swear at and drag a kid off, even the universally recognized good ones. Public position. Pressure position. I know few of them that would justify their actions. Does he? Do you know for fact he found his behavior "acceptable?"

Even moreso seen similar behavior on the practice field. Can think of many kids that respect it as a way of "toughening" them up. I don't agree but not hard to find those that do. Old story, not sure I have all the detrails correct but I can even recall an old school Catholic coach that knew the kids were drinking , admitted by the kids on his tribute page (later deleted, lol) as a tribute to his being cool and he'd be considered one of the best the city has produced. That's a very bad thing, IMO. But if I'm going to judge, the body of good speaks louder. "Fan of?" Not really.

I know there are those that want to "fire" anyone that farts but I don't see it productive. I would have my knee-jerk judgements and I would have my big picture judgements. In these cases, I've no problem calling out an incident and calling for fair accountability but hope that I reserve that big picture judgement knowing the reality, that person is doing a whole lot more good for the kids, in the opinion of the kids, than I am.
Old 07-11-17, 10:10 AM
All World

1disciple is on a distinguished road
Scrimmage Schedules

Southview
8/11 @ St. Johns
8/18 @ Rogers

Perrysburg
8/12 Ottawa Glandorf
8/18 Start

Anthony Wayne
8/11 @ Whitmer
8/18 St. Johns

Bowling Green
8/12 @ Wauseon
8/18 @ Oak Harbor

Napoleon
8/12 Port Clinton
8/18 @ Delta

Springfield
8/11 St. Francis
8/18 Whitmer

Northview
8/8 Genoa
8/11 @ Fremont Ross

Maumee
?
?
Old 07-11-17, 10:48 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
1) I've certainly seen coaches berate, swear at and drag a kid off, even the universally recognized good ones. Public position. Pressure position. I know few of them that would justify their actions. Does he? Do you know for fact he found his behavior "acceptable?"

Even moreso seen similar behavior on the practice field. Can think of many kids that respect it as a way of "toughening" them up. I don't agree but not hard to find those that do. Old story, not sure I have all the detrails correct but I can even recall an old school Catholic coach that knew the kids were drinking , admitted by the kids on his tribute page (later deleted, lol) as a tribute to his being cool and he'd be considered one of the best the city has produced. That's a very bad thing, IMO. But if I'm going to judge, the body of good speaks louder. "Fan of?" Not really.

I know there are those that want to "fire" anyone that farts but I don't see it productive. I would have my knee-jerk judgements and I would have my big picture judgements. In these cases, I've no problem calling out an incident and calling for fair accountability but hope that I reserve that big picture judgement knowing the reality, that person is doing a whole lot more good for the kids, in the opinion of the kids, than I am.
In my opinion, if a phrase directed at a player starts with "you expletive" or "you are a expletive" I feel it crosses the line that a coach/mentor needs to have.

I think there is a time and a place for foul language and a "what the" or "that was" or a "you are getting your *&^%$ handed to you" can be used to make a point.

I have no idea if he thought his behavior was acceptable. I do know that he is a representative of the school, the school district and the community and I'd guess most of them would not find his behavior acceptable.

I'm not sure what old Catholic you are referencing but I'm sure all coaches know that their kids are at times making bad decisions. Can they stop them all the time, no but they should never condone such activity.

Has the good that he has done outweighed the bad? I would surely hope so. That's what coaching is all about. I have just witnessed enough things to make me wish that historically he would have done a better job representing his school and community.

Presently he is facing his second suspension in a couple years. I don't know all the details but he seems to be able to find hot water to be in.
Old 07-24-17, 05:59 PM
Varsity

ttt
Old 08-07-17, 01:20 PM
Freshman

Jacket1816 is on a distinguished road
Perrysburg prospects 2017

Not sure how much Perrysburg will have improved over last year. Andy Brungard is much missed, IMO. Backus is not playing this year at all, a loss to the program, again IMO. Sims is still young, and not sure at all who may back him up, but it will be another youngster. Yellow Jacket line and secondary still not as large as some opponents, so that will likely be a disadvantage for Sims. Of course, that didn't matter as much as 2-3 years ago when that exceptional group of athletes, led by Westfall among others, was so SO great. But the current group of kids is not up to that standard, no disrespect to them. In addition to Backus, several other seniors are not playing this season either. My best guess: maybe 6-4 season, but too many unknowns at this point to be sure. NLL is not the strongest league overall, so that will help the Jackets. I don't forsee playoffs.
Old 08-07-17, 01:24 PM
Freshman

Jacket1816 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackets View Post
As far as Perrysburg is concerned, I could see them getting back to the playoffs again this year. They have a lot of talent returning that got significant playing time last year. The team started to do better once they put the Freshman Sims in at QB1 after Backus got injured. I could see Backus moving to WR this year since Pburg lost a bit of receiver depth and since Backus played some WR 2 years ago. The scary thing to other teams in the NLL could be the fact that Kregel played a ridiculous amount of sophomores last year, more than any year I can remember. Even from the team two years ago that went to state, I don't remember anyone other than Westfall getting much playing time as a sophomore. And if they play the freshman from last year at QB this year an undefeated season won't be out of the question based on the way the past seasons under Kregel have worked. The biggest question left in my opinion is what they might have lost when their old D coordinator Brungard left for AW.
I doubt very much an undefeated season is in the cards this year, much less playoffs. Have heard there will be other freshman on varsity this year, but don't know which. Overall, still a younger bunch of guys. Brungard GREATLY missed, from my observations last season. Kudos to him for the work he's done in AW, changing that culture. I expect him to continue to do well there.
Old 08-07-17, 04:38 PM
Varsity

I think AW (1-2) is the Favorite with what they return plus a lot of depth, they are the 1 team that could sustain a major injury at a key position and still win the league.
Springfield could finish 1-4 the running game is a big question mark, and they lack the depth they have had the last couple of years. Napoleon(2-5) has a lot of Seniors returning and are always a tough out. Maumee (2-6) is going to be much improved they have a really good senior class and from what I understand a new offense. Perrysburg (2-5) Will be solid and a lot will depend on the success of a couple of players. BG (3-7) don't know a lot about them but their Offense is tough to defend they will have a couple of great athletes. Northview (3-7) is the QB back? they will compete every week. Southview (8) they will be a lot better than last year but I don't see them getting out of the cellar this season.

Last edited by NLLRAM; 08-10-17 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-09-17, 02:37 AM
Junior Varsity

Jackets is on a distinguished road
Springfield's head coach Gucciardo will be suspended for the first two games of the playoffs for the incident mentioned earlier, per Jordan Strack.

Could be a blessing in disguise for Springfield, as Gucciardo can't keep trying to pile on a lead in a playoff game and fail miserably again if he isn't on the sidelines...
Old 08-09-17, 11:52 AM
Freshman

Any NLL schools scrimmage yesterday? Who is Maumee scrimmaging?
Old 08-09-17, 12:20 PM
All American

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
BG scrimmaged Defiance. BG was clearly better on both sides of the ball, but I have no idea how good Defiance is.
Old 08-09-17, 12:51 PM
All District

Maumee has Genoa and Norwalk on Friday and Clay the week after. Just saw a preview of defiance on one of the news channels that said they've only won 5 games the last two years but they could be ok...
Old 08-09-17, 06:01 PM
Junior Varsity

dappling is on a distinguished road
I talked to someone who is close to the Maumee program. Maumee's O'line is the biggest it has been in years.

Maumee's old offensive coordinator left. Coach Gibson is returning to his roots and playing "smashmouth" with two TE's and two wingbacks.

Maumee is senior heavy and according to several coaches and teachers, this is a "special class" and has a variety of four year starters including Caleb Brown, Mike Haney, Brandon Phillips, etc.

Could this be the surprise team in the NLL? Their non-NLL schedule is winnable. Could they win 8 games?

Coach Gibson has had four years for his strength and conditioning program to take hold. He had a lot of success at clyde, so hopefully that will transfer to Maumee.
Old 08-09-17, 06:52 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dappling View Post
I talked to someone who is close to the Maumee program. Maumee's O'line is the biggest it has been in years.

Maumee's old offensive coordinator left. Coach Gibson is returning to his roots and playing "smashmouth" with two TE's and two wingbacks.

Maumee is senior heavy and according to several coaches and teachers, this is a "special class" and has a variety of four year starters including Caleb Brown, Mike Haney, Brandon Phillips, etc.

Could this be the surprise team in the NLL? Their non-NLL schedule is winnable. Could they win 8 games?

Coach Gibson has had four years for his strength and conditioning program to take hold. He had a lot of success at clyde, so hopefully that will transfer to Maumee.
That special senior class has gone 5-15 the past two years.

They should be able to get by Bowsher and Waite, but will likely have their hands full at Eastwood. And I just don't see them beating AW, BG, Perrysburg, or Springfield. Maybe they can get one of those.
Old 08-10-17, 08:16 AM
All World

1disciple is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket1816 View Post
Not sure how much Perrysburg will have improved over last year. Andy Brungard is much missed, IMO. Backus is not playing this year at all, a loss to the program, again IMO. Sims is still young, and not sure at all who may back him up, but it will be another youngster. Yellow Jacket line and secondary still not as large as some opponents, so that will likely be a disadvantage for Sims. Of course, that didn't matter as much as 2-3 years ago when that exceptional group of athletes, led by Westfall among others, was so SO great. But the current group of kids is not up to that standard, no disrespect to them. In addition to Backus, several other seniors are not playing this season either. My best guess: maybe 6-4 season, but too many unknowns at this point to be sure. NLL is not the strongest league overall, so that will help the Jackets. I don't forsee playoffs.
I'm thinking more like 5-5 or 4-6 with that tough out of conference schedule the Jackets may limp their way into league play.
Old 08-10-17, 10:04 AM
Junior Varsity

dappling is on a distinguished road
If Perrysburg is rebuilding and Maumee is senior-laden, could this be the year that the Panthers beat the Jackets?