Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-10-17, 01:21 PM
All American

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Also did Watty have a Frosh team last year? That alone if they didn't would stop a top prospect from going there IMO
Old 08-10-17, 01:36 PM
All District

uncle_rico is an unknown quantity at this point
HC, I really don't know the answer to that. If there's anything crazy going on I'm sure OHSAA will uncover it. When a kid like that pops up suddenly on the scene at a Catholic grade school, you learn a lot about him quickly. Just saying to be careful, that's all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-17, 01:38 PM
All District

Watty did not have a frosh team last year. You are correct there.

Old 08-10-17, 01:39 PM
Varsity

Scrumper is on a distinguished road
Uncle rico, if you know soon much about Kirk, what is his official address? Not his half brothers address.
Old 08-10-17, 01:44 PM
All District

I don't know the answer to that, Scrump. Whoever his legal guardians are.

Old 08-10-17, 01:51 PM
All District

Can we talk about the DeSales-Coffman scrimmage now? I hear you have some good LBs...all 3 D1 prospects? I'm excited to watch Drennen play. I hear he's electric for a soph.

Old 08-10-17, 01:51 PM
All American

Be careful ? Me ? Why? Not ahrd to find Doss's address , I never cared to look for it, tis guy seems to know a lot about Middle School Catholic Football for some reason, as if " Popping " up anywhere at the 8th grade level is someone's business , I guess Rico and his kind involved in the Catholic school football's ARMS RACE follow this type of thing very closely.

May be Ricon is responsible for DeSales COUGH COUGH talent level going up over the last few years coverig and traipsing around the Catholic MS football circles , good work sir keep it up.

As for the DeSales not showing anything that is universal for most teams, I expect the LOADED Stallions to be the favorite and from the looks of things the better club , the first two years scrimmage were very competitive, this year Coffman going to take longer to develop up front . Stallions are a program while always good on the rise , tons of talent over there. Scrimmage is important for finding out things for Coffman, who can play where , they are a team with too many of the same type of player and not enough of other kinds , so some are going to have to play where they didn't may be expect to make it work eventually, so I expect the Stallions to appear more fluid and experienced in some areas and take advantage of it , Donut is a special player, he needs space though , hopefully he gets some , he made a great TD run last year , totally shook two kids in the secondary .

DeSales wil be better more experienced up front and also have some athletes, Coffman has some good players and athletes as well as you will see but really is a bout a month away fro being set up front or better set, lets hope it gells at some point , but as for Saturday ? Going to be a struggle a times but the coaches and players will learn a lot and it will help them, playing this caliber of team[s} { DeSales, Toledo CC , and PC} while not conducive to ego strokes, is going to help them be ready for week one which is the point . they won't see this caliber of teams the first few weeks .

I agree enough about where Kirk lives, he is eligible and ready to go , lets hope he has a great career at Coffman for 4 years .

Last edited by Harrycrane; 08-10-17 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-10-17, 02:09 PM
All District

Thanks, HC. Everything will take care of itself with Kirk I'm sure. Best of luck to him because he can be a special one. Let's move on.

I do love Coffman's scrimmage schedule. They will definitely be ready for the season in seeing talented rosters with contrasting styles. I have mad respect for Coffman. Great program and coach that develops kids for the next level. Always a good pre-season test for the Stallions.

Old 08-10-17, 02:16 PM
All American

Good post Rico , more reasonable than my last few . Top Catholics in Columbus appear to be getting stronger, in terms of the state level , I know they have a few state titles in the past , but I think overall DeSales and Hartley really have it going, I think Watty will pick it up in the next few years, and I am not sure ST Chuck's is designed for football success if that makes sense .

They are good at other sports though . I do know that catholic followers know about kids who are coming up, playing at the feeder schools, I think Columbus does it right , in other states, it is a free for all , kids can go wherever they want if they are willing to get there .

Westy Central is the last scrimmage, that will be much more competitive than last year's tilt .
Old 08-10-17, 02:26 PM
Varsity

I will bet though we will have a 5 man front this sat. Mimics Davidson's offense as run heavy. Corners locked on, with safeties close to the line. Will be a hard test for the rocks. Interested in the changes that are made from Tuesday. I'm sure more changes will come after Sat scrimmage.
Old 08-10-17, 03:01 PM
All American

I agree Scrump , looking forward to it myself , whatever happens it doesn't matter as long as it helps the kids and staff realize what needs to happen to improve and go forward.

DeSales is going to test them in a variety of ways , they have studs on offense , 4 OL back I heard? but defensively I know they have 3-4 kids who will be a handful , and after Saturday the Rocks will have seen three really good teams, possible state title game participants, of course a few folks who are about as good will have something to say about that they are all in the conversation.

I remember seeing Brendon White for the first time on a cold night at Coffman his Frosh year , was watching the game in the secnd half with a Liberty fan who came over to our side to watch and I asked who that safety was, ? A really solid player , wasn't spectacular yet but really smart made plays, he said that kid is a Freshman Brendon White, I said whoa , really?

I said right then his instincts were really good he was athletic and was a definite high D-1 recruit, He simply and I don't mean just physically didn't look like a Frosh out there. Same thing with Drennan , just is a kid who knows how to play and never looked out of place from the word go last year.

Kirk I haven't seen play, but from what I have heard and read he is another one who will not appear to be Frosh like from day one. Sure there will be some changes, more than usual as I have said the personnel balance is off a little some kids will have to go and paly where they may not be real comfortable playing. And also and many teams do this but not Coffman usually, have 3-4 kids do " SOME" double duty to get more of the best kids on the field at the same time
Old 08-11-17, 05:50 PM
All American

As usual in this third annual DeSales- Coffman scrimmage there will be a nice array of talent on the field .

This has been a very hard hitting competitive scrimmage the last two years and this year it appears that DeSales has not only more experience and more returning starters but more individual talent as well .

In other words Coffman will be severely tested and needs to be really ready to go if they want to make it a competitive scrimmage.

This will be the third really strong opponent the Rocks have scrimmaged as they look to get a hard look at who may play where, and most importantly who CAN PLAY and who CAN'T at least right now. My feeling is the team will due to lack of reps and experience up front look a lot different in 4-6 weeks than it does now .

DeSales is loaded and a legit contender for a D-3 crown IMO anyway . Biggest name and recruit is Brian Asamoah, who has offers from more than 20 schools, 6-1 about 210 ? is a LB prospect I believe at the college level but will tote the rock offensively for the Stallions. Notre Dame , Wisconsin , Oklahoma , Penn State , Michigan State and Kentucky top his list.

DE Brandon Derrow a DE is 6-4 235 and has offers from Colorado State and Rutgers .

Rodas Johnson is a load at 6-3 270 and plays DT he is a Junior

Ty Van Fossen - is a kid I have seen and liked the last two years 6-2 205 good instincts , committed to Cincinnati

Joey Velzquez is a nice prospect at Safety ? 6-0 190 4.6 kid , will watch him tomorrow .

Interesting to see 6-1 195 pound Sophomore QB Mason Washington on the roster for the Stallions Dublin kid who played at Scioto as a Frosh ? Correct me if I am wrong but I think that is the case, good potential player for them .

Coffman has a few talented kids as well .

Jeslord Boateng SR. has received the most attention a rush LB who has to pressure the QB for the Rocks to be effective on defense , 6-2 215 may be a bit heavier now, looks good and stronger this year, Michigan State commit.

Griffin Hoak - LB 6-1 215-220 leading tackler also a SR , plays the middle and is the biggest hitter of the LB group, scouts aren't buying him as a D-1 LB due to a time , I think they are wrong ? I think his instincts{ great first reaction } toughness and work ethic is D-1 all the way, has a 1-AA offer from Youngstown State , hope and think he deserves some MAC love.

Luke Crabtree - LB 6-2 220 Runs well , can cover and go sideline to sideline pretty well , has a Colorado State offer and a few 1-AA'S as well .

Mike Drennan - Soph - uber talented kid, one of the top 2020 recruits in Ohio, Ohio State is interested , Louisville , Indiana , Kentucky and Cincinnati have already offered , look for many more . 5-11 175- 180 more quick than Jaguar straight line fast , but good speed non the less , moves galore , great hips , could play corner at the next level I believe, but probably a hybrid Curtis Samuel type. Not saying as good don;t misunderstand not fair at this point to do that , but that is the type of role he will likely play. Great hands , snatches the ball with his hands at a high point , really smooth .

Kaleb Holcomb - 6-3 255 not sure where he will play 1-AA level player right now, , smart kid, is best offensive lineman , being looked at as HBACK /DE , might have to end up at Left Tackle .

Other interesting players include

AJ Kirk Frosh - one of the best Frosh in the state no question , known around Columbus , brother of Mike Doss former Buckeye , haven't seen him, but have heard great things, 6-0 180 -185 4.5 speed, Safety seems to be best position right now, invited to prestigious Friday Night lights at Ohio State a rare rising Frosh invite, looking forward to watching him tomorrow .

Cole Bagozzi - instinctive 2 year starter, made a lot of big plays last year, will have to do a great job in the middle of the Rocks defense if they are going to be successful strong as snot squats over 500 pounds , 5-11 255

Trevor Grady - SR playing football after a long absence, basketball player with hops. 6-5 WR , nice hands , athletic , will be a weapon in the red zone ? Brother is Wisconsin Soph LB Griffin Grady who had the most stops in the spring game and will get on the field this year in Madison .

Marcus Ernst Sr. and Ethan Brown Jr. QB'S - Ernst played well in the slot last year, athletic competitive kid who goes 5-11 175 or so will paly baseball at Ohio State , brown is bigger 6-3 195-200 and runs very well , needs a bit more polish but is a potential really good player.

Gavin Sturdivant and Cam Scott, RB'S Both Sr's . Gavin has bene productive , starting as a Soph due to injuries, but also got hurt , last year went down twice but was good when he was out there, Really tough kid, , STRONG , man strength at 5-7 190 . Scott is pretty fast 5-10 195 and has waited his turn, can be productive .

Left out a few guys I am sure for both teams that could have bene mentioned, but again as usual very good players and two quality programs going at it

10.0 AM at DeSales
Old 08-11-17, 08:09 PM
Varsity

Going into this scrimmage, offensive line personal need to be charged as needed to get the best blockers on the field. If we can't run this year, it's going to be a long season. Some kids will just have to suck up egos for what is best for this team. That includes stepping aside for better personal at some positions. This team is very talented. Get these young men into the best position for the team to succeed. Let some go both ways if needed. Coaches, you have the personal, use them where you will.
Old 08-12-17, 01:08 PM
All Ohio

TCSoup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
As usual in this third annual DeSales- Coffman scrimmage there will be a nice array of talent on the field .

This has been a very hard hitting competitive scrimmage the last two years and this year it appears that DeSales has not only more experience and more returning starters but more individual talent as well .

In other words Coffman will be severely tested and needs to be really ready to go if they want to make it a competitive scrimmage.

This will be the third really strong opponent the Rocks have scrimmaged as they look to get a hard look at who may play where, and most importantly who CAN PLAY and who CAN'T at least right now. My feeling is the team will due to lack of reps and experience up front look a lot different in 4-6 weeks than it does now .

DeSales is loaded and a legit contender for a D-3 crown IMO anyway . Biggest name and recruit is Brian Asamoah, who has offers from more than 20 schools, 6-1 about 210 ? is a LB prospect I believe at the college level but will tote the rock offensively for the Stallions. Notre Dame , Wisconsin , Oklahoma , Penn State , Michigan State and Kentucky top his list.

DE Brandon Derrow a DE is 6-4 235 and has offers from Colorado State and Rutgers .

Rodas Johnson is a load at 6-3 270 and plays DT he is a Junior

Ty Van Fossen - is a kid I have seen and liked the last two years 6-2 205 good instincts , committed to Cincinnati

Joey Velzquez is a nice prospect at Safety ? 6-0 190 4.6 kid , will watch him tomorrow .

Interesting to see 6-1 195 pound Sophomore QB Mason Washington on the roster for the Stallions Dublin kid who played at Scioto as a Frosh ? Correct me if I am wrong but I think that is the case, good potential player for them .

Coffman has a few talented kids as well .

Jeslord Boateng SR. has received the most attention a rush LB who has to pressure the QB for the Rocks to be effective on defense , 6-2 215 may be a bit heavier now, looks good and stronger this year, Michigan State commit.

Griffin Hoak - LB 6-1 215-220 leading tackler also a SR , plays the middle and is the biggest hitter of the LB group, scouts aren't buying him as a D-1 LB due to a time , I think they are wrong ? I think his instincts{ great first reaction } toughness and work ethic is D-1 all the way, has a 1-AA offer from Youngstown State , hope and think he deserves some MAC love.

Luke Crabtree - LB 6-2 220 Runs well , can cover and go sideline to sideline pretty well , has a Colorado State offer and a few 1-AA'S as well .

Mike Drennan - Soph - uber talented kid, one of the top 2020 recruits in Ohio, Ohio State is interested , Louisville , Indiana , Kentucky and Cincinnati have already offered , look for many more . 5-11 175- 180 more quick than Jaguar straight line fast , but good speed non the less , moves galore , great hips , could play corner at the next level I believe, but probably a hybrid Curtis Samuel type. Not saying as good don;t misunderstand not fair at this point to do that , but that is the type of role he will likely play. Great hands , snatches the ball with his hands at a high point , really smooth .

Kaleb Holcomb - 6-3 255 not sure where he will play 1-AA level player right now, , smart kid, is best offensive lineman , being looked at as HBACK /DE , might have to end up at Left Tackle .

Other interesting players include

AJ Kirk Frosh - one of the best Frosh in the state no question , known around Columbus , brother of Mike Doss former Buckeye , haven't seen him, but have heard great things, 6-0 180 -185 4.5 speed, Safety seems to be best position right now, invited to prestigious Friday Night lights at Ohio State a rare rising Frosh invite, looking forward to watching him tomorrow .

Cole Bagozzi - instinctive 2 year starter, made a lot of big plays last year, will have to do a great job in the middle of the Rocks defense if they are going to be successful strong as snot squats over 500 pounds , 5-11 255

Trevor Grady - SR playing football after a long absence, basketball player with hops. 6-5 WR , nice hands , athletic , will be a weapon in the red zone ? Brother is Wisconsin Soph LB Griffin Grady who had the most stops in the spring game and will get on the field this year in Madison .

Marcus Ernst Sr. and Ethan Brown Jr. QB'S - Ernst played well in the slot last year, athletic competitive kid who goes 5-11 175 or so will paly baseball at Ohio State , brown is bigger 6-3 195-200 and runs very well , needs a bit more polish but is a potential really good player.

Gavin Sturdivant and Cam Scott, RB'S Both Sr's . Gavin has bene productive , starting as a Soph due to injuries, but also got hurt , last year went down twice but was good when he was out there, Really tough kid, , STRONG , man strength at 5-7 190 . Scott is pretty fast 5-10 195 and has waited his turn, can be productive .

Left out a few guys I am sure for both teams that could have bene mentioned, but again as usual very good players and two quality programs going at it

10.0 AM at DeSales
Mason Washington was at DeSales from the start. Played on their Freshman Team last fall.
Old 08-12-17, 02:14 PM
Varsity

Well, well, well. This was not a men against boys affair at all. In fact, If I had to go to the judges cards, it would be a unanimous decision that Coffman won. When the ones were out there, Coffman out scored Desales 2, zip. Coffman, I believe out gained Desales on the ground. But, Desales big back did not run many plays. Coffman, out gained Desales through the air. And if turnovers were counted, Desales layed the ball on the ground 3 or 4 times. Coffman threw 1 interception.
Coffman's Offensive line played better than Tuesday's scrimmages, but still has a ways to go. Some O linemen did not go till the whistle, and peaked looks backwards. This is not DFL, go until the whistle. If you get beat, keep going until the whistle.

The backs looked quick, hit the holes quick, and fought for extra yardage. Quick hitting plays may be the best for the line to block for. Darrius Cummings may have earned some carries. Looks like it may be Gavin, Cam Scott, And Darius splitting carries in some fashion. All three could be main guy if called on.

The WRs looked good, We took a hit on Tuesday losing Tyler Mccelroy (sp) to a broken collar bone which required surgery. The corps are thin with that loss, and Marcus splitting time at QB with brown. The WRs caught most of the balls there way. Only a few drops. And no highlight reel catches I saw. But, should get better with reps.

The defense improved from Tuesday, but need more improvement before week 4.

The D line is still feeling itself out with different options they have. Cummings, Bagozzi, Gurbash (Gill), Gavin, Holcomb, Wolfe. So, there is some depth if needed. If Gavin and Cummings share the back field with Scott, Bagozzi, Wolfe, and Gill will need to go and put pressure on the opposing QBs.

The linebackers play was expected. Hamilton bit on a few play action plays that will need a little coach up. Alright for the scrimmage. Hoak and Crabtree got caught up a little with O linemen more than what I thought they would. But filled better today than Tuesday. Kudos to Kanyon Caldwell for a blitzing OLB. If he gets looks like he did today, opposing QBs will get hurt. In fact, he outplayed Jeslord Boteng on many plays. May have knocked Hamilton out of 4th LB position. Definitely earned some pass defense reps.

I couldn't tell the defensive backs very well. The switching of numbers confused the heck out of me until they would come to the sideline. I believe that the DBs are still being moved around for now. Looks like eight guys for 4 positions. I bet we ride the hot hands until guys pull away from one another.

Last edited by Scrumper; 08-12-17 at 02:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-12-17, 02:51 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumper View Post
Well, well, well. This was not a men against boys affair at all. In fact, If I had to go to the judges cards, it would be a unanimous decision that Coffman won. When the ones were out there, Coffman out scored Desales 2, zip. Coffman, I believe out gained Desales on the ground. But, Desales big back did not run many plays. Coffman, out gained Desales through the air. And if turnovers were counted, Desales layed the ball on the ground 3 or 4 times. Coffman threw 1 interception.
Coffman's Offensive line played better than Tuesday's scrimmages, but still has a ways to go. Some O linemen did not go till the whistle, and peaked looks backwards. This is not DFL, go until the whistle. If you get beat, keep going until the whistle.

The backs looked quick, hit the holes quick, and fought for extra yardage. Quick hitting plays may be the best for the line to block for. Darrius Cummings may have earned some carries. Looks like it may be Gavin, Cam Scott, And Darius splitting carries in some fashion. All three could be main guy if called on.

The WRs looked good, We took a hit on Tuesday losing Tyler Mccelroy (sp) to a broken collar bone which required surgery. The corps are thin with that loss, and Marcus splitting time at QB with brown. The WRs caught most of the balls there way. Only a few drops. And no highlight reel catches I saw. But, should get better with reps.

The defense improved from Tuesday, but need more improvement before week 4.

The D line is still feeling itself out with different options they have. Cummings, Bagozzi, Gurbash (Gill), Gavin, Holcomb, Wolfe. So, there is some depth if needed. If Gavin and Cummings share the back field with Scott, Bagozzi, Wolfe, and Gill will need to go and put pressure on the opposing QBs.

The linebackers play was expected. Hamilton bit on a few play action plays that will need a little coach up. Alright for the scrimmage. Hoak and Crabtree got caught up a little with O linemen more than what I thought they would. But filled better today than Tuesday. Kudos to Kanyon Caldwell for a blitzing OLB. If he gets looks like he did today, opposing QBs will get hurt. In fact, he outplayed Jeslord Boteng on many plays. May have knocked Hamilton out of 4th LB position. Definitely earned some pass defense reps.

I couldn't tell the defensive backs very well. The switching of numbers confused the heck out of me until they would come to the sideline. I believe that the DBs are still being moved around for now. Looks like eight guys for 4 positions. I bet we ride the hot hands until guys pull away from one another.
Just curious has DeSales gone back to that crappy option only Offense.?
if so explains the 3-4 balls on the ground and hoping you have 3-4 QB's who can survive the season.
Old 08-12-17, 03:07 PM
Varsity

Well, TCSoup, I would love your take on the scrimmage, were you able to go watch your team? It just seems you are disrespecting our O line. Desales have things to work on if Coffmans line blocked well enough to out gain you on the ground and through the air. It was only a scrimmage, but from all rankings and opinions on here, we were going to get our handed to us. That did NOT happen.
Old 08-12-17, 03:40 PM
All District

Very confused by your comment, soup. That "crappy" offense has been pretty successful in the past but it's their D that makes them go.

Old 08-12-17, 03:43 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well, well, well. This was not a men against boys affair at all. In fact, If I had to go to the judges cards, it would be a unanimous decision that Coffman won.
Given how heavily "favored" D3 DeSales was , this has to rank right up there with Super Bowl III as one of the greatest football upsets of all time.
Old 08-12-17, 03:55 PM
Varsity

Going into this scrimmage, the way Coffman played Tuesday, I thought it would e a long day. Some of the problems Tuesday were not corrected, but looked better.

So, you go into a scrimmage expecting one thing, and another happens. It was an improvement. There is still a lot of work to be done before the season opens. But today was a good start.
Old 08-12-17, 04:50 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Well, TCSoup, I would love your take on the scrimmage, were you able to go watch your team? It just seems you are disrespecting our O line. Desales have things to work on if Coffmans line blocked well enough to out gain you on the ground and through the air. It was only a scrimmage, but from all rankings and opinions on here, we were going to get our handed to us. That did NOT happen.
Dude chill out, i stated in the DeSales thread i had prior commitments and wouldn't be at any of the scrimmages.
You Coffman guys sometimes have some thin skin.
I was asking a question nowhere in this years thread will you see one word of disrespect from me on DC Football.
Thats why for the most part you have a 2 man conversation going here.
You will not see me try and converse the rest of the year on here.
Old 08-12-17, 04:57 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_rico View Post
Very confused by your comment, soup. That "crappy" offense has been pretty successful in the past but it's their D that makes them go.

that offense has been a waste of talent over the years.
I'll leave it at that.
Old 08-12-17, 08:36 PM
Freshman

Steelers24 is on a distinguished road
Coffman played a very good scrimmage but also keep in mind Desales played without several key starters today! Best of luck to two very classy programs that always represent Central Ohio very well.
Old 08-12-17, 09:19 PM
All American

I don't think DeSales fans were talking any trash beforehand, but rather some fans weighing in on what they heard { Softest worst team they had seen " " Coffman WAS BAD " Secondary was weak " blah blah .

Fans of Coffman didn't think it went well either , so no problem with a scrimmage analysis , but I think today was good because it was an improvement , and DeSales who will be ranked in the top 3-4 in D-3 and went to the state semi's last year has about 13-14 starters coming back. And some D-1 talent .

I thought based on what I have seen from DeSales the last two years and what they had coming back , and the fact that Coffman had not one starter back on O-Line { Holcomb is back but isn't playing O-Line right now , more a bit later on that } And they will have a new starter at QB and a whole new secondary { It shows the inexperience that is , potential is there just have to find the right 4-5 guys} that they may struggle against the Stallions. And lastly the reports I got from the first quad scrimmage .

They held their own, they didn't kick their azzes, but did some things better and changed a few tings around and did some nice things out there .

DeSales to me going back to two years ago when they were really fired up for Coffman { I think it was because the year before Coffman was thought of as the best team in CO } and played with a lot of fire. Much more than Coffman did , last year both teams were fired up . This year may be Coffman was sharper more geared up may be off a tough first scrimmage?, pretty businesslike from both teams.

For the record I never thought it would be Man vs. Boys , I was surprised that DeSales threw the ball as much as it did , with some success at times, Coffman defenders got lsot a couple times, left guys open in the flat areas and on the sideline , gave up an easy pitch and catch slant on a third and long that just can't happen in a real game, WAY TOO EASY .

So Scioto fan I luvfootbal has a point the secondary isn't there yet , most year you pretty much know who say 3 of the guys are going to be and need to find one or two, this year you need to find 4-5 . Jobs will be won by the end of the week , a lot of opportunity for some kids to win a job.

D-line looked better as well , not a usual unit, two RB'S types Cummings and Sturdivant may be counted on to play there along with veteran starter Bagozzi , may be Holcomb if he isn't back at O TACKLE? Good Soph prospect Wolfe { 5-11 250 } and Gill 6 feet or so 235-240?

Got pressures and some sacks, , both teams did, but it was good to see Coffman get in the QB'S face as often as they did . Boateng will wreak havoc, ,Hoak made a lot of stops like usual , And like Scrumper, I also couldn't keep up with the parade of defensive backs shuffling in and out wearing their scrimmage numbers.

Darius Cummings who played D-Line last year, but was always a running back looks good at RB, very low to the ground 5-6 , but with big strong thick legs at near 200 pounds, he runs through tackles , has good feet as well, runs well . Ran a lot of kids down last year on defense.

Offensive line needs Holcomb back at Tackle IMO and can really benefit depending on how some of the other D-LINEMAN progress use Cole Bagozzi at guard . I thought I saw him take some reps there today? I mean with his tremendous lower body strength and leg drive , the 500 pound plus squat guy could be an asset there. You could pull him because he is athletic enough and runs well enough as he shows playing defense . He needs reps to get used to keeping his legs driving on contact , many inexperienced O-line kind of stop when they make contact, if eh keeps his legs driving on contact he could be great drive blocker.

On the positive side, a couple O-lineman who I was told struggled on Tuesday , played very hard and better . Saw some effort, not always great execution, but some solid improvement and effort which is what you want to see .

QB'S both looked pretty good at times, and both are very athletic, move well in the pocket and outside it, it will keep teams honest with the pass rush , because if they go to far up field, the QB'S will make them pay .

Passing game will improve weekly as QB'S get more familiar with the receivers but saw some positive things.

Drennan was not given much room to operate when he took his turn at running back but , ran hard and it paid off as he took a hand-off, hit the hole it closed quickly after about 2 yards from scrimmage , ran into the DeSales defender a loud impact bounced off ran through cut outside and beat everyone down the sideline about 55 yards for a TD. Showed better strength and is noticeably thicker this year .

neat spin around screen picked up big yards a nice 20 yard pop up the middle led to another TD for the Coffman ones on offense .

Coffman ones on defense had a few outstanding series, stopping the run , tackles for losses and QB'S pressures and sacks. DeSales had a real nice drive later in the scrimmage getting into a rhythm in the run game and hitting on a few passes, as well but didn't score as they fumbled on the Coffman 20.

Overall a better scrimmage for the Rocks, some good signs and some definite areas of concern as well but some of it is correctable with more reps and coaching up , and more attention to detail.

Secondary will have to be a focus this week not only to figure out who the guys who start will be but more work on positioning , footwork and scheme discipline and fundamentals . Perrysburg runs a spread with a very talented young QB, , Gahanna and Olentangy can throw it well with tempo among other teams the Rocks will face, back to the grind fellas, big week for a handful of guys who haven't won or lost jobs yet.

Saw some DeSales kids play limited snaps and noticed one of the big D-lineman wasn't there or I didn't see him I hope the kids who sat aren't hurt too badly or out long term
Old 08-14-17, 01:24 AM
All Ohio

Central OH Football is on a distinguished road
DeSales option offense did limit some players in the past, but overall has been beneficial to the overall program.

As for this scrimmage, I didn't see the game. I wasn't able to attend, but DeSales only has 7-8 starters back, not 13-14. They've got plenty of holes to fill, and should be working on weak points before the actual season starts. Handing the ball to Asamoah isn't the best option, because you know what he brings to the table. Let some of the younger/less experienced guys get some cracks against a top notch defense like Coffman

At the end of the day, it's a scrimmage. Hopefully both teams got better, and both teams SHOULD be playing for a long time this year.
Old 08-14-17, 03:47 AM
All American

3. St. Francis de Sales (Columbus) - 13-1, D-III state semifinalist, Region 11 champion
The Stallions, who are looking for the program's 26th playoff berth, will field one of state's top defenses led by senior linebackers Tyler Van Fossen (Cincinnati commit) and Brian Asamoah. Asamoah holds 30 offers including Michigan, Oklahoma, Penn State, UCLA and Notre Dame. The defensive line is anchored by senior end Branden Derrow (10 offers including Rutgers, Western Michigan, Marshall, Toledo and Youngstown State). Seven starters return on both sides of the ball.
Old 08-14-17, 03:50 AM
All American

7 on both sides , may be a few go both ways but nonetheless , a nice handful back. Aren't finding 14-15 new starters . Program is really solid, expect them to get to the Semifinals, after that the competition is really strong, It's a Trotwood, and Catholic heavy division , probably 6 Catholics in the top ten programs in the division .
Old 08-14-17, 06:42 AM
All District

About what I expected for a scrimmage. Gotta clean up mistakes though. Coffman will be just fine. Drennen is terrific in space, good LB crew, solid RB rotation. Some question marks but who doesn't at this stage. Bradley will be another good test for the Stallions. Looking forward to it.

Old 08-14-17, 05:33 PM
All American

When you look at the opponents and the fact that Coffman played with an offensive line with ZERO returning starters , yes a few kids played " Some" Because of minor injuries and short suspensions , it played with not one starter. Holcomb a starter last year was playing defense .

Ditto defensive backfield , the five kids who got all the snaps are gone, Haefke and Hamilton were two year starters , both good players who are very smart , aren't going to just replace those kids experience overnight.

Williamson Wise and Smith gone, so all new and they struggled at times , to be expected really. Kids aren't real comfortable yet, , you can see it , a bit tentative, not sure of themselves , this will change and improve .

Fast kids play slower when thinking too much, and lacking experience. They need to get reps reps and some more reps,, be coached hard and up .

It isn'[t where you are after 8 days when they were criticized and judged by a poster out here but where are you after about 5-6 weeks after the first day of camp , about 35- 42 days not EIGHT with 4 full contact days .

You get more comfortable , learn a few things, , get coached hard, , you play with more confidence and you play FASTER . This will happen eventually, but it is a PROCESS .

Same thing with the O-line and D-Line, coaches need to be a bit creative with personnel groupings, may be a small handful of kids need to play two ways , one way full time , the other part time? LB'S playing H-Back , double tight situations once in a while , defensive lineman playing part time O-line , O-lineman playing some defensive series in important situations .

Slot guy or RB playing CB ? QB playing slot part time ?

Hackett at right tackle is going to be good I believe, he is a Senior but lacks experience due to injury bug the last two years , he needs reps , when eh gets them he will be productive.

Be interesting to see who starts in certain positons in Thursday's game like scrimmage vs Westy Central . WC will be much better I believe than last year , be very competitive , more experienced , have some serious speed in a few areas.

Westy C a great place to watch a game .
Old 08-14-17, 05:56 PM
All American

Any word on Davidson - Scioto scrimmage? Two future Rocks opponents , curious how that turned out , I am sure a few out here reading this space know, appreciate any account .

Gahanna scrimmages ?