Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  
  #1  
Old 11-18-18, 09:51 AM
sehs sehs is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-07-03
Posts: 1,188
sehs
St. Edward Hockey 2018-2019

The Eagles opened up their season with a 3-2 win over Holy Name and a 2-1 win over Erie Cathedral Prep. It was lost in the big football weekend against Mentor. The real question is, can they challenge St. Ignatius on the ice this year?
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 11-19-18, 12:41 PM
arizonawildcat arizonawildcat is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-13-09
Posts: 7,866
arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Ignatius began ts season by splitting two games with the Pttsburgh Predators in Pittburgh.
  #3  
Old 11-24-18, 08:47 PM
sehs sehs is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-07-03
Posts: 1,188
sehs
Interesting to hear 1990s rival Bowling Green has suspended their hockey program due to low numbers this year. From Ď95 to Ď98 it was St. Edís and Bowling Green in back to back to back to back state championships. The Eagles won two and Bowling Green won two. Bowling Green was a consistent semifinalist into the early 2000s but it seems the Toledo area programs became much better and Bowling Greenís high school numbers for their team went down.

I hope to see them get the program back on track in the next couple of years. Hockey in Ohio goes through interesting phases. The Southern part of the state has grown in terms of numbers and quality programs but the power remains in the Northern half.
  #4  
Old 12-01-18, 10:22 AM
TheDude89 TheDude89 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 08-25-16
Posts: 61
TheDude89 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sehs View Post
Interesting to hear 1990s rival Bowling Green has suspended their hockey program due to low numbers this year. From Ď95 to Ď98 it was St. Edís and Bowling Green in back to back to back to back state championships. The Eagles won two and Bowling Green won two. Bowling Green was a consistent semifinalist into the early 2000s but it seems the Toledo area programs became much better and Bowling Greenís high school numbers for their team went down.

I hope to see them get the program back on track in the next couple of years. Hockey in Ohio goes through interesting phases. The Southern part of the state has grown in terms of numbers and quality programs but the power remains in the Northern half.
BG is hoping to be back as soon as next year but it will be with a new coach. This age group has always had low participation numbers as they progressed through youth hockey. They would've been able to field a small team this year, 10-12 kids maybe. but some of the kids chose not to play because they (or their parents) had issues with the coach. So they ran him off, after 28 years coaching there, due to the opinions of a few disgruntled individuals. One longtime assistant was already set to step down and the other is the coaches son so they'll be looking elsewhere for a replacement.

It'll be interesting to see who they get and how the remaining players respond. There are a decent number of kids in youth hockey who will be freshmen next year. The youth program is also giving priority to BG kids over those from other communities (10 kids per travel team must be from BG). That should help the HS team down the line.
  #5  
Old 12-01-18, 08:59 PM
EagleFan's Avatar
EagleFan EagleFan is offline
Controller
 
Join Date: 03-03-02
Location: Ohio
Posts: 22,023
EagleFan has a spectacular aura aboutEagleFan has a spectacular aura about
6x State Champs suspending their program? Sad.
  #6  
Old 12-02-18, 12:25 AM
arizonawildcat arizonawildcat is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-13-09
Posts: 7,866
arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Ignatius beat something called the Pittsburgh Vengenance 7-2. I really dislike what has become of the Ignatius hockey program. They don't even play an Ohio team until their 11th game (Ed's). It just sockens me to see a highschool program go semi-pro.
  #7  
Old 12-02-18, 03:02 PM
clevelandcane clevelandcane is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-27-01
Location: Rocky River, Ohio
Posts: 638
clevelandcane
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
Ignatius beat something called the Pittsburgh Vengenance 7-2. I really dislike what has become of the Ignatius hockey program. They don't even play an Ohio team until their 11th game (Ed's). It just sockens me to see a highschool program go semi-pro.
I agree. We don't get to watch. They travel all the time. I do understand it though. Recently, they don't have much competition outside of about 3 teams in the area. I guess if this model helps atteact the best kids then that's okay.
  #8  
Old 12-04-18, 01:19 PM
TheDude89 TheDude89 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 08-25-16
Posts: 61
TheDude89 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
They don't even play an Ohio team until their 11th game (Ed's).
And it's their only game against an Ohio team all year until states. Not making an appearance in the Padua tournament as the did last year.

It's unconventional but if they keep being successful and moving kids on to good leagues it will be here to stay.
  #9  
Old 12-02-18, 06:59 PM
EagleFan's Avatar
EagleFan EagleFan is offline
Controller
 
Join Date: 03-03-02
Location: Ohio
Posts: 22,023
EagleFan has a spectacular aura aboutEagleFan has a spectacular aura about
The strange thing is Ignatius seemingly rejected that athletic philosophy for football and other sports even if opportunities were presented
  #10  
Old 12-02-18, 11:22 PM
arizonawildcat arizonawildcat is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-13-09
Posts: 7,866
arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Apparently there's no avenging in the Pittsburgh Avengence as they fell to the IceCats by the same 7-2 score.
  #11  
Old 12-05-18, 10:16 AM
arizonawildcat arizonawildcat is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-13-09
Posts: 7,866
arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
I am very surprised and disappointed that the Ignatius administration allowed the hockey team and its coach to take this course of action. It seems to be counter to every thing that Ignatius is supposed to stand for.
  #12  
Old 12-10-18, 11:25 AM
arizonawildcat arizonawildcat is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-13-09
Posts: 7,866
arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Ignatius beat two schools from Michigan over the weekend, wining each game by a goal.
  #13  
Old 12-16-18, 03:50 PM
arizonawildcat arizonawildcat is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-13-09
Posts: 7,866
arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Cats got blown out this weekend by some team called the Shady Side Academy Prep. Why, oh why, why aren't they playing Padua, Cleveland Hgts, Shaker, etc.?
  #14  
Old 12-17-18, 11:52 AM
sehs sehs is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-07-03
Posts: 1,188
sehs
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
Cats got blown out this weekend by some team called the Shady Side Academy Prep. Why, oh why, why aren't they playing Padua, Cleveland Hgts, Shaker, etc.?
In year's past Ed's and Ignatius have played Shadyside, I believe in tournaments though. The step the Wildcats took might be what they felt was necessary in order to compete and not lose kids to the juniors. It's certainly worked over the past few years. I felt last year, Ed's was just a step behind. They competed and they fought and just were not good enough. We will see what this season brings as St. Ed's seems to have a very strong team.
  #15  
Old 12-16-18, 08:34 PM
EagleFan's Avatar
EagleFan EagleFan is offline
Controller
 
Join Date: 03-03-02
Location: Ohio
Posts: 22,023
EagleFan has a spectacular aura aboutEagleFan has a spectacular aura about
they are above that
  #16  
Old 12-16-18, 10:30 PM
arizonawildcat arizonawildcat is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-13-09
Posts: 7,866
arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
The Cats are going into the Ohio state tourney having played one team from Ohio. IMO, that's ridiculous.
  #17  
Old 12-18-18, 12:27 PM
TheDude89 TheDude89 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 08-25-16
Posts: 61
TheDude89 is on a distinguished road
I think the way Ignatius is structuring their program is a smart move. They are playing much better competition than anyone else in Ohio and proving they can prepare kids for top junior leagues. Top players get to represent their school and are legitimately being prepared to move on to the NAHL or USHL and eventually college hockey. It's really the only way to attract kids that would otherwise go to the Barons or a similar route. And whether people like it or not it's working so far...
  #18  
Old 12-18-18, 07:16 PM
clevelandcane clevelandcane is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-27-01
Location: Rocky River, Ohio
Posts: 638
clevelandcane
I just wish they played more games locally. Sucks not to be able to watch them and now I have to go to Winterhurst Winterhurst! to watch. Hate that place.
  #19  
Old 12-20-18, 10:34 PM
runner guy runner guy is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 10-23-15
Posts: 26
runner guy is on a distinguished road
The Pittsburgh Predators that Ignatius played are the 88th ranked AAA team. The Pittsburgh Vengeance are the 139th ranked AAA team. You can't establish yourself as a top place for development playing teams like that.
  #20  
Old 12-21-18, 08:25 AM
TheDude89 TheDude89 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 08-25-16
Posts: 61
TheDude89 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by runner guy View Post
The Pittsburgh Predators that Ignatius played are the 88th ranked AAA team. The Pittsburgh Vengeance are the 139th ranked AAA team. You can't establish yourself as a top place for development playing teams like that.
Which Ohio high school team is doing a better job of developing talent? Or playing a tougher schedule? They swept Brighton and Hartland in Michigan, those teams are better than anyone in Ohio.
  #21  
Old 12-21-18, 10:38 PM
runner guy runner guy is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 10-23-15
Posts: 26
runner guy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude89 View Post
Which Ohio high school team is doing a better job of developing talent? Or playing a tougher schedule? They swept Brighton and Hartland in Michigan, those teams are better than anyone in Ohio.
As much as I hate to say it, high school hockey in Ohio isn't the answer. The talent level as a whole has dropped off a ton the last two years which hurts everyone. Ignatius having multiple teams is hurting the whole area, how many of those kids on Ignatius' third team wouldn't be better suited somewhere else. Sure they might be the best team in the State and they play better teams than all the other high school teams, but you can't say it's a better place for developing players compared to most AAA teams. How many kids at Ignatius besides Spellacy have gone on to play NCAA Hockey in the last few years.
  #22  
Old 12-23-18, 08:24 AM
TheDude89 TheDude89 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 08-25-16
Posts: 61
TheDude89 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by runner guy View Post
As much as I hate to say it, high school hockey in Ohio isn't the answer. The talent level as a whole has dropped off a ton the last two years which hurts everyone. Ignatius having multiple teams is hurting the whole area, how many of those kids on Ignatius' third team wouldn't be better suited somewhere else. Sure they might be the best team in the State and they play better teams than all the other high school teams, but you can't say it's a better place for developing players compared to most AAA teams. How many kids at Ignatius besides Spellacy have gone on to play NCAA Hockey in the last few years.


Maybe so, but you canít fault Ignatius for trying to position itself as a viable option. This is a debate for the parents and players. Those third team players made their decision for whatever reason. Nobody forced them to play there.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  #23  
Old 12-27-18, 12:11 PM
mailman112 mailman112 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-15-11
Posts: 2,558
mailman112 is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=TheDude89;7217875]Maybe so, but you canít fault Ignatius for trying to position itself as a viable option. This is a debate for the parents and players. Those third team players made their decision for whatever reason. Nobody forced them to play there.

The Cats have lost numerous players over the last 24 months. Once the players see they will not make the #1 squad they leave so they can play.
  #24  
Old 01-02-19, 09:29 AM
WarriorDee WarriorDee is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-17-03
Location: The Big Wigwam by Wyoga
Posts: 828
WarriorDee
Quote:
Originally Posted by runner guy View Post
As much as I hate to say it, high school hockey in Ohio isn't the answer. The talent level as a whole has dropped off a ton the last two years which hurts everyone. Ignatius having multiple teams is hurting the whole area, how many of those kids on Ignatius' third team wouldn't be better suited somewhere else. Sure they might be the best team in the State and they play better teams than all the other high school teams, but you can't say it's a better place for developing players compared to most AAA teams. How many kids at Ignatius besides Spellacy have gone on to play NCAA Hockey in the last few years.
^This is the truth..... the majority of area high school players that do go on to Juniors, will eventually matriculate to ACHA D1 Hockey programs, a very small percentage make it onto even a NCAA DIII roster.
  #25  
Old 12-21-18, 05:04 AM
sehs sehs is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-07-03
Posts: 1,188
sehs
Ed's lost to Ignatius 4-1 at Winterhurst last night.
  #26  
Old 12-21-18, 09:29 AM
EaglePride01 EaglePride01 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-04-05
Posts: 6,135
EaglePride01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sehs View Post
Ed's lost to Ignatius 4-1 at Winterhurst last night.
Looks like the gap remains large, and is only widening.
  #27  
Old 12-22-18, 07:13 PM
arizonawildcat arizonawildcat is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-13-09
Posts: 7,866
arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Guess the IceCats will go into the state tourney with an undefeated record against Ohio teams.
  #28  
Old 12-27-18, 01:35 PM
TheDude89 TheDude89 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 08-25-16
Posts: 61
TheDude89 is on a distinguished road
How is everyone else looking outside of Ignatius? Looking like a tight 4 team race in Northwest Ohio with the edge to St. John's right now. Kind of a down year around here overall. St. Francis isn't the dominant team they've been the past few years.
  #29  
Old 01-12-19, 10:00 AM
EagleFan's Avatar
EagleFan EagleFan is offline
Controller
 
Join Date: 03-03-02
Location: Ohio
Posts: 22,023
EagleFan has a spectacular aura aboutEagleFan has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude89 View Post
How is everyone else looking outside of Ignatius? Looking like a tight 4 team race in Northwest Ohio with the edge to St. John's right now. Kind of a down year around here overall. St. Francis isn't the dominant team they've been the past few years.
May be Gilmour's year at the Kent district. U.S. looks down. Mentor good.

St. Edward might be 2nd best in Brooklyn District. Holy Name maybe.
  #30  
Old 01-16-19, 09:59 AM
sehs sehs is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-07-03
Posts: 1,188
sehs
Interesting week last week for St. Ed's. Went 2-1 with wins over top ranked Gilmour and Shaker Heights but lost 6-4 to Lake Catholic.
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ohio All-Star Wrestling Team Now Accepting Applications for 2019 & 2020 Teams Ohio TofC Wrestling 3 10-23-18 11:37 AM
St. Ig's vs St. Ed's at mailman112 Football 23 08-31-18 07:55 PM
2018 Brankman Report The Brankmen Wrestling 12 03-14-18 08:33 PM
Prep Hoops Ohio (Rankings) Krasula24 Boys Basketball 3 02-01-18 07:54 AM
Wolverine-Buckeye tournaments - Over 1,000 entries for 2018 already Wolverine-Buckeye TC Baseball 0 12-28-17 10:21 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.