Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-01-16, 10:18 AM
All Yappi

LICKING COUNTY FAN is on a distinguished road
Aricle and pics: Heath 41 Newark Catholic 7

Last night at the Swank Field in Heath, Ohio the Newark Catholic Green Wave limped into action against an undefeated and healthy Heath Bulldog team. I think many of the nice size crowd, who knew that the smaller school, minus five starters had no chance of winning and most likely knew that this one would be ugly and that is just what this game was.

Emotion can carry a team just so far and that's how this one started. On the Bulldogs first drive their multi-talented quarterback,Aaron Latiolais was sacked by,Connor Sheehan. Sheehan has been injured on and off this season, so to see the young guy get involved early was nice. Latiolais recovered nicely as he connected with, #3 Brock Williams all the way to the Green Wave one-yard-line, with 3:37 left in the quarter. From there the Heath line blew up a large hole for Latiolais to walk through, to give Heath a,6-0 lead, The point after kick by #17 Tayte Duncan, to make this a,7-0 lead at the 3:23 mark.

Newark Catholic got things started on offense with a nice eleven-yard run by Hunter Chapman.
With 1:13 left in the quarter, Chapman was sacked by Tyler Karr for a three-yard loss and brought up a fourth and six, for the Green Wave.

The Bulldogs used an eleven-play-sixty-five-yard drive to go up 14-0 at the 9:06 mark of the second quarter. The score came on a seven-yard run by,#4(not on the roster I have)who went untouched into the end zone. The point after made this a,14-0 game and the route was on.

The Heath defensive line seemed to do what they wanted in this one and with 8:31 showing on the clock, Quintin Dixon plowed into the Newark Catholic backfield and planted Chapman into the dirt for a five-yard sack. From there the offense that loves the short side of the field was stopped as easily as the sun melts snow.

Latiolais who used his speed and field vision as well as any player I have watched this season, put those two skills together at the 4:28 mark of the quarter, to gain an easy sixteen-yards. Just twenty seconds later Latiolais walked in from one-yard out and after the point after kick this was a,21-0 game. This drive took seven-plays and went for fifty-eight-yards.

With 1:53 left in the half the Green Wave opted to go for it on fourth and two, but the Bulldogs seem to know where the play was going and stopped it as easily as as Ronda Jean Rousey slaps an armbar on someone. I seldom include in these articles what parents say in the stands, but tonight I set in two different places surrounded by parents from Newark Catholic and many, if not all complained about play calling and some were saying where the ball was going before the play was ran. Ask yourself how easy it must have been for the Heath staff to have figured it out?

Latiolais dropped back to pass, with 40.9 left in the half and he must have had to shake his head, when he spotted Simon Romine wide-opened by twelve-yards. The pass easily fell into his arms and the Bulldogs had a first and ten at the Green Wave thirty. The Heath staff saw that the Green Wave secondary was not playing well at this point in the game called another pass play, with 20.9 seconds left in the half and again the Latiolais must have had to look twice to believe his eyes, because the receiver was alone and the result was an eleven-yard touchdown pass. The point after made this ,28-0 beat down.

The Bulldogs had 283-yards of offense in the first half and they were 9-10 throwing the ball.
Newark Catholic using 1/3 of the field, 95% of the time had gained a total of 96-yards and were 1-6 throwing the ball. Heath's coaching staff was really smart in this one as they allowed their weapons to use the entire field and you can see the result, while Newark Catholic play caller, who went back to using the short side of the field did not put his weapons in position to showcase their talents.

Cameron Lewis, a very good outside runner, when he gets a chance to run outside can be dangerous, had his number called and responded with a twenty-seven-yard run just sixteen seconds into the second half. Chapman, who seldom had a chance to drop back and survey the field got that chance with 10:27 left in the quarter and the result was a fourteen-yard completion to Lewis. Facing another fourth and two the Green Wave was able to pick up the first down, when Chapman powered his way to move the chains. The Bulldogs defense was there, as they seem to know where the play was going, but this time the 6-5 215 pound Chapman used sheer determination to move the chains. Playing his first game after transferring from Newark High School, Tyler Scott scooted into the end zone from three-yards out. The point after kick by, Nathan Liesen made this a,28-7 game. Scott is a runner, who seemed to be caged most of the game as he was never able to showcase his speed because his runs were mostly up the gut or to the short side of the field. If he, Scott gets a chance to use the whole field, he could be a big time weapon for this offense.

The Bulldogs, with the rain coming down never seem to notice this as their offense continued to make the Newark Catholic defense look invisible and with 2:13 showing on the clock this was made even more so, with another Heath score. The score ended a twelve-play, seventy-one-yard and came on another Latiolais touchdown pass, this time it was to 6-foot-2 Treyton McCoy. The point after kick was missed leaving this a,34-7 game.

I am not sure the on-side kicked was planned or the kicker missed kick the ball but either way, the Bulldogs successfully pulled it off . The Newark Catholic parents I was surrounded by, added this to the things they were displeased with and believe my, that list was very, very long on this dark, rainy night.

With the JV unit mostly in for Newark Catholic's offense, the play calling for a brief minute got better as they started to use the entire field. 10:46 was left when Lewis picked up a first down on a fourth and two . Play calling return to the norm on the next fourth down and as usual the bulldogs stopped the play, short of the marker to the surprise of nobody left in the stands. Running to the short side time and time again leaves little doubt in the opposing teams coaching staff and when that coach has the talent Heath does this season, no matter how poor or good the coaching is, this type of game plan does not put players in a good position. A little something I heard often in the stands again from the people cheering for Newark Catholic.

With 8:43 left in the game, the Bulldogs offense showed just what using the entire field can create, with the result being a thirty-seven-yard run by Simon Romine. The Newark Catholic defense seemed lost on plays like this on this night. I think most of the not up to par playing by the Green Wave unit came from the offense fairing so poorly, with their offense not having any success using just 1/3 of the field. The Bulldogs would score one final time at the 6:08 mark of the final frame. The score came on a Latiolais fourteen-yard pass to Adryn McCoy. The Bulldogs must have wanted to get the starters as much time as possible in this one as they kept most of them in the entire game. The point after was good to make the final score, 41-14.

Just a thought into this one some teams and coaches win with class, while some have none at all. I think this is a case of a team who does not have much success on the football field taking advantage of a rare good season to get some major payback on teams,who in the past have been able to beat them badly with or without starters playing.

UNOFFICIAL STATS

NEWARK CATHOLIC
54 PLAYS
238 YARDS
PASSING 5-13

HEATH
62 PLAYS
416 YARDS(MORE YARDS IN THE FIRST HALF THEN NEWARK CATHOLIC HAD THE WHOLE GAME)
PASSING 14-16 2 TD'S
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-16, 10:19 AM
All Yappi

https://www.facebook.com/DavidLewisB...5933834&type=3
Old 10-01-16, 10:47 AM
Junior Varsity

Panthernut36 is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=LICKING COUNTY FAN;6567568][COLOR=#FF40BF]La740-755-4565

Just a thought into this one some teams and coaches win with class, while some have none at all. I think this is a case of a team who does not have much success on the football field taking advantage of a rare good season to get some major payback on teams,who in the past have been able to beat them badly with or without starters playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-16, 10:52 AM
Junior Varsity

Aricle and pics: Heath 41 Newark Catholic 7

Are you kidding me ??? Class? So the mighty NC got a taste of what they have been dishing for years and you have the nerve to say a coach has no class .... The entire NC fan base is a joke ..........Heath would have beaten NC even with the NC team healthy and they may even give Johnstown a run for their money ...... LCfan I respect your thoughts on football as a whole but ...... When you call others out for something your coach has done for years ........c'mon man

Old 10-01-16, 10:58 AM
All Yappi

A long time ago Newark Catholic might have ran the score up but under the current staff, Franks goes out of his way to keep the score down, on those rare occasions he has a chance to make it very ugly.

To me it is not running the score up, if you have your starters or most of them on the sideline, allowing your 2nd unit to run the offense and defense.

Last night this was not the case.
I have no problem with any team running their offense, in a route, when the 2nd unit is in.

As fr the Heath/Johnstown game, I do not see it being within three scores, with the Johnnies winning.

My biggest reason for this is I.M.O J-Town has the best staff in the county and they won't make it easy on Heath by using only 1/3 of the field,w hen they are on offense.
Old 10-01-16, 11:15 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by LICKING COUNTY FAN View Post
A long time ago Newark Catholic might have ran the score up but under the current staff, Franks goes out of his way to keep the score down, on those rare occasions he has a chance to make it very ugly.

To me it is not running the score up, if you have your starters or most of them on the sideline, allowing your 2nd unit to run the offense and defense.

Last night this was not the case.
I have no problem with any team running their offense, in a route, when the 2nd unit is in.

As fr the Heath/Johnstown game, I do not see it being within three scores, with the Johnnies winning.

My biggest reason for this is I.M.O J-Town has the best staff in the county and they won't make it easy on Heath by using only 1/3 of the field,w hen they are on offense.

Well I'll have to agree to disagree with you here.... I seem to remember a few years back NC put a beating on LV when all their starters were suspended ..... First time NC has beaten LV in some time and Frank's never called the dogs off the entire game... And was laughing and cheering and giving his players the jumping chest bumps as they came off the field after the game .... Why do people think the hatred for NC came from???? It's not they are good it's the attitude that they think they are better then everyone else ........just my opinion

Old 10-01-16, 11:23 AM
All Yappi

Are you talking about the 2012 game, when N.C won 25-9?

2009 Newark Catholic won 34-21

Neither were blowouts.

There were 2 blowouts in the ast decade or so but Valley was on the winning end of those games.
Old 10-04-16, 09:09 AM
Varsity

nc_green_wave is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthernut36 View Post
Why do people think the hatred for NC came from???? It's not they are good it's the attitude that they think they are better then everyone else ........just my opinion

The hatred comes from NC's domination of the LCL back in the 70's and 80's. It's the adults who carry this with them and can't get past it. Way too much has changed in the LCL since then. NC is not nearly the program that they were and most of the other schools have improved their programs and have become larger schools.