Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #3061  
Old 09-17-17, 10:48 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 1,886
14Red is on a distinguished road
For those of you who checked out on the season a while ago, this young staff is making some progress. Sal Romano, Tyler Mahle and Robert Stephenson has all been very good the last 6 weeks.
Barring injuries, the rotation next April could look like this...Bailey, Disco, Castillo, Romano and Stephenson.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #3062  
Old 09-18-17, 06:33 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 1,732
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
I'm almost guessing you couldn't bunt major league pitching. You can bunt 70 MPH fastballs, not 95 mph balls that move.
I've seen him do it before.
Reply With Quote
  #3063  
Old 09-18-17, 08:49 AM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 877
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
For those of you who checked out on the season a while ago, this young staff is making some progress. Sal Romano, Tyler Mahle and Robert Stephenson has all been very good the last 6 weeks.
Barring injuries, the rotation next April could look like this...Bailey, Disco, Castillo, Romano and Stephenson.
The Reds will add at least one significant starting pitcher either via trade or FA signing. They may even take a cheap flyer on Feldman (if he gets healthy)as a back end starter or long relief.
Reply With Quote
  #3064  
Old 09-18-17, 09:03 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
Fake coolin' off
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 66,705
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
With that projected starting staff, I think the Reds could win 75-80 games next year.
Reply With Quote
  #3065  
Old 09-18-17, 09:05 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 1,886
14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
I've seen him do it before.
I'm sure you have...
Reply With Quote
  #3066  
Old 09-18-17, 09:09 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 1,886
14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
The Reds will add at least one significant starting pitcher either via trade or FA signing. They may even take a cheap flyer on Feldman (if he gets healthy)as a back end starter or long relief.
Possibly, but I'd be a little surprised, unless they are able to trade some of these young guys. The Reds have about 8-9 starting pitching candidates going into '18, not including Feldman. Also been noted that Michael Lorenzen may get another shot at starting.
Reply With Quote
  #3067  
Old 09-18-17, 09:16 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
Fake coolin' off
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 66,705
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Possibly, but I'd be a little surprised, unless they are able to trade some of these young guys. The Reds have about 8-9 starting pitching candidates going into '18, not including Feldman. Also been noted that Michael Lorenzen may get another shot at starting.
That's exciting.
Reply With Quote
  #3068  
Old 09-18-17, 09:43 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 1,732
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
I'm sure you have...
I was the one that threw it to him. In your defense, it wasn't a 95 mph throw. Only 93.
Reply With Quote
  #3069  
Old 09-18-17, 10:28 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 1,886
14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
I was the one that threw it to him. In your defense, it wasn't a 95 mph throw. Only 93.
Sure it was...
Reply With Quote
  #3070  
Old 09-18-17, 10:32 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 1,732
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Sure it was...
We didn't have a radar gun but I used my eye test and it clocked the throw at 93.4 mph. We both know the eye test is the best.
Reply With Quote
  #3071  
Old 09-18-17, 11:14 AM
wolves82 wolves82 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 07-31-16
Posts: 313
wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
The Reds will add at least one significant starting pitcher either via trade or FA signing. They may even take a cheap flyer on Feldman (if he gets healthy)as a back end starter or long relief.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Possibly, but I'd be a little surprised, unless they are able to trade some of these young guys.
Are the Reds rebuilding or not? Why on earth, with the veteran talent/salaries that the Reds have traded away, would they even consider a "Significant" SP free agent?? Why on earth would they "trade some young guys" to open a rotation spot?

Illogical.
Reply With Quote
  #3072  
Old 09-18-17, 11:21 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
Fake coolin' off
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 66,705
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Have to agree with wolves that trading or signing a vet FA starting pitching seems like a really stupid idea, no wonder indiandad keeps advocating for it.
Reply With Quote
  #3073  
Old 09-18-17, 11:26 AM
wolves82 wolves82 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 07-31-16
Posts: 313
wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
For those of you who checked out on the season a while ago, this young staff is making some progress. Sal Romano, Tyler Mahle and Robert Stephenson has all been very good the last 6 weeks.
Barring injuries, the rotation next April could look like this...Bailey, Disco, Castillo, Romano and Stephenson.
Still paying attention, but not watching 3+ hours per night. I know a few weeks back I was criticizing Romano for overthrowing everything, but he has calmed down and is showing signs that he has a chance to be a productive MLB pitcher. Stephenson has matured some as well. Castillo is best of the 3. Here's hoping...

As for Disco, not sure why we would count on anything at this point. Assuming a rotation spot for him seems very flawed. Scooter has more innings pitched than him this year. Seems problematic.

As for Bailey, well, he has his WHIP down to about 1.75. I hope his last starts of the year are good enough that some team wants to trade for him.
Reply With Quote
  #3074  
Old 09-18-17, 01:11 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 877
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
Are the Reds rebuilding or not? Why on earth, with the veteran talent/salaries that the Reds have traded away, would they even consider a "Significant" SP free agent?? Why on earth would they "trade some young guys" to open a rotation spot?

Illogical.
Because they have an abundance of young players that can't all get on the 25 man roster. Why wouldn't you try to put the best rotation possible to support this everyday 8?

The Reds will have some payroll flexibility next season and beyond so adding a solid FA starting pitcher would make sense.
Reply With Quote
  #3075  
Old 09-18-17, 01:13 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 877
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Have to agree with wolves that trading or signing a vet FA starting pitching seems like a really stupid idea, no wonder indiandad keeps advocating for it.
Yeah, winning would really suck. What would you complain about then?
Reply With Quote
  #3076  
Old 09-18-17, 01:15 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 877
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
Still paying attention, but not watching 3+ hours per night. I know a few weeks back I was criticizing Romano for overthrowing everything, but he has calmed down and is showing signs that he has a chance to be a productive MLB pitcher. Stephenson has matured some as well. Castillo is best of the 3. Here's hoping...

As for Disco, not sure why we would count on anything at this point. Assuming a rotation spot for him seems very flawed. Scooter has more innings pitched than him this year. Seems problematic.

As for Bailey, well, he has his WHIP down to about 1.75. I hope his last starts of the year are good enough that some team wants to trade for him.
As for Disco, if you don't plan on him being in the rotation then will the Reds even offer him arbitration?
Reply With Quote
  #3077  
Old 09-18-17, 01:47 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
Fake coolin' off
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 66,705
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Yeah, winning would really suck. What would you complain about then?
I'm sure landing a fa retread is going to make them competitive next year.
Reply With Quote
  #3078  
Old 09-18-17, 01:57 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 877
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
I'm sure landing a fa retread is going to make them competitive next year.
Who said anything about a retread?
Reply With Quote
  #3079  
Old 09-18-17, 01:58 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
Fake coolin' off
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 66,705
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Who said anything about a retread?
I did. That's all they'd be in the running for. What do you consider Harvey at this point, since you mentioned him in this vein in the past?
Reply With Quote
  #3080  
Old 09-18-17, 05:29 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 877
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
I did. That's all they'd be in the running for. What do you consider Harvey at this point, since you mentioned him in this vein in the past?
OF course you want a retread, you love losing.
Reply With Quote
  #3081  
Old 09-18-17, 06:29 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
Fake coolin' off
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 66,705
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
OF course you want a retread, you love losing.
Answer the question about Harvey. You suggested he might be a target. The only one you've mentioned. Is he a retread or not?
Reply With Quote
  #3082  
Old 09-18-17, 07:18 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 877
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Answer the question about Harvey. You suggested he might be a target. The only one you've mentioned. Is he a retread or not?
Given his health history he would be considered a retread. That also means he would be cheap ala Feldman. I would put Harvey in the same category as Disco. He is worth a shot for a cheap price.


The Reds have the ability to do much better.
Reply With Quote
  #3083  
Old 09-18-17, 09:06 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
Fake coolin' off
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 66,705
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Given his health history he would be considered a retread. That also means he would be cheap ala Feldman. I would put Harvey in the same category as Disco. He is worth a shot for a cheap price.


The Reds have the ability to do much better.
Such as who?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boys State Championships (1976-2016) Yappi Boys Soccer 1 03-20-17 01:02 AM
Ohio Week 7 Schedule EagleFan St Edward Eagles 1 07-26-16 02:13 PM
Ohio Week 6 Schedule EagleFan St Edward Eagles 1 07-26-16 02:10 PM
Ohio Week 5 Schedule EagleFan St Edward Eagles 1 07-26-16 02:06 PM
2015 Football Conferences Yappi Football 34 08-03-15 01:45 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz