Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-02-17, 10:29 AM
All Yappi

DonMagicRon is on a distinguished road
Week 7: Winton Woods (6-0) @ Canton Central Catholic (2-4)

Another road game, another private Catholic school, another state champion. Just another week of hard work for the Warriors. Despite the Crusader 2-4 record, I see WW as slight underdogs. Injuries, punt protection problems and penalties almost cost us last week. Im sure the coaches realize this so we need to focus on special team all week. The majority of practice should be special teams. As a whole the special teams are very good but the protection needs work.
There's not much the coaches can do about injuries but hope we can get some dudes back. That will increase our chances to maybe steal a road win.

* I think the 3 past opponents were state champions last season. I'll research it.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-17, 10:32 AM
All Region

TriangleMan is on a distinguished road
Lou Holtz makes an appearance from Cincinnati!
Old 10-02-17, 10:42 AM
All District

Irish Football is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMagicRon View Post
Another road game, another private Catholic school, another state champion. Just another week of hard work for the Warriors. Despite the Crusader 2-4 record, I see WW as slight underdogs. Injuries, punt protection problems and penalties almost cost us last week. Im sure the coaches realize this so we need to focus on special team all week. The majority of practice should be special teams. As a whole the special teams are very good but the protection needs work.
There's not much the coaches can do about injuries but hope we can get some dudes back. That will increase our chances to maybe steal a road win.

* I think the 3 past opponents were state champions last season. I'll research it.
This should be a running clock game for Winton Woods. No comparison talent and speed wise.
Old 10-02-17, 11:10 AM
All Ohio

The Veer is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I would say WW is favored on the road this week. While the Crusaders have not played to their potential all that often this year, it is not the same caliber of team we have had the past few seasons. While I would have debated Irish Football the past couple seasons comparing the "Speed" aspect vs WW, i wont this year as our team speed in 2017 is down (I have not see WW at all but I have seen us)

I missed the last game vs Ellet but from the few games i have attended, we have at times held onto the ball too long on passing situations. Our QB does have play making ability, but when things breakdown on the line i would like to see him tuck it and run more often. We have Over-pursed on defensive at times which has led to some big plays for the opposing defense.

I have seen us put together some stretches of very solid football this season, unfortunately this week I do think we are over matched. We do seem to play up to the competition in front of us, I wont agree running clock on CCC as we will get some scoring in, but i could be wrong too.
Old 10-02-17, 11:15 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Football View Post
This should be a running clock game for Winton Woods. No comparison talent and speed wise.
I hear you but I don't think so. We have a tendency to play to our opponents level. Example is the 18-15 win against LaSalle. That game should had been around 27-7 or 27-14. And add a 3 to 4 hour bus ride, kids eating pizza and drinking Hawaiian Punch at lunch, the MASH crew on the sideline. Coach Parker is pushing for a complete performance cause we are going to need it over these next 9 weeks.
Old 10-02-17, 11:18 AM
All Yappi

I'm in the process of watching the ACC @ Strongsville game. I don't know if it will give me a clear picture of CCC because it was a few weeks ago.
Old 10-02-17, 11:52 AM
Freshman

mhsnumber1 is on a distinguished road
CCC is down this year. No playoffs for CCC as they will lose this one and at most likely Jackson 4 wins won't get them to the 8th spot.

This will be a Winton Woods blow out.
Old 10-02-17, 12:44 PM
All District

Starkbuck is on a distinguished road
Winton Woods is certainly the overwhelming favorite in this game. CCC is not playing to the level of their previous three years. While CCC is not as good as they have been, their record is somewhat deceiving given the brutal schedule, injuries and new starters this year. Winton Woods is having one of their best years in recent history, and despite a four hour bus ride, their talent will probably overwhelm CCC.

The game will probably be closer than some think initially, but will get away from CCC in the end due to the large difference in talent. CCC plays very disciplined, hard nosed football and will usually put up a fight to any opponent. However, Winton Woods has speed, size and athleticism that is comparable to ANY team in the state of Ohio. The only way CCC pulls this off is to play a nearly perfect game and get Winton Woods taking them easy. Otherwise it may be a brutal matchup.

mhs, I'm sure you guys are glad to see CCC not in the playoff hunt, but look at the bottom of the region, four wins may get it done (if they are the right four).
Old 10-02-17, 01:47 PM
All Ohio

Over The Hills is on a distinguished road
Driving down I-77 to Canton from Cleveland to see this one Friday.
This is the only regular season Winton Woods game that I will likely get to see in person this season.
Hoping for a playoff run so that I can attend a few additional games.

CCC guys.....likely will have to get there after kickoff.
Where is the automatic, late guy arriving parking spot to get in the game as quick as possible?

When WW was at SVSM in Akron last year I got there a tad late and it sure as hell wasn't the school lot.
Old 10-02-17, 01:55 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over The Hills View Post
This is the only regular season Winton Woods game that I will likely get to see in person this season.

Where is the automatic, late guy arriving parking spot to get in the game as quick as possible?

When WW was at SVSM in Akron last year I got there a tad late and it sure as hell wasn't the school lot.
You should have no problem finding a spot either in the St. Joan of Arc lot just north of the stadium or on the east side of Bordner Ave. that borders the west side of the stadium. Ticket booths are on the NW and NE corners. Visitor section is on the east side. Map below.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7912.../data=!3m1!1e3
Old 10-02-17, 02:15 PM
All Yappi

Is it a grass field? I remember back when practice first started posters from CCC were inquiring about what they might be getting into with this Winton Woods game. It started me thinking that CCC must be pretty good and then I found out they were state champs.
Old 10-02-17, 02:25 PM
All Region

Quote:
Is it a grass field? I remember back when practice first started posters from CCC were inquiring about what they might be getting into with this Winton Woods game. It started me thinking that CCC must be pretty good and then I found out they were state champs.
Field turf. This field was in the Superdome last season and installed this August to replace field turf that was in place since 1998.
Old 10-02-17, 03:48 PM
All Yappi

How does the field turf from the Superdome end up at Canton Central Catholic?
Old 10-02-17, 03:51 PM
All Yappi

If the Warriors have everybody back from injury except for Tank Booker then we have a chance. And Fetha injury didnt look good at all. I doubt hes back.
Old 10-02-17, 04:09 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I think back in Jan or Feb when the game was first announced, you and I had a brief talk as well and I let you know back then that it may be a down year for us.

Its was Grass prior to 1998... well it was more a mix of grass and dirt/mud
Old 10-02-17, 04:20 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
How does the field turf from the Superdome end up at Canton Central Catholic?
Tom Benson, the N.O Saints owner brought it to the HOF field in Canton. Remember the HOF game in 2016 being canceled because of the hardened paint on the field?

The Hall of Fame got new turf for 2017, we got the infamous turf that was only installed for a year there. The existing turf it replaced was nearing 2 decades old.
Old 10-02-17, 06:46 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Veer View Post
Tom Benson, the N.O Saints owner brought it to the HOF field in Canton. Remember the HOF game in 2016 being canceled because of the hardened paint on the field?

The Hall of Fame got new turf for 2017, we got the infamous turf that was only installed for a year there. The existing turf it replaced was nearing 2 decades old.
Not sure if you're trying to be funny here or not. I'm pretty sure the turf you're referring to is dead and buried. It was only going to be used for that HoF game and was then going to be removed and discarded. It's definitely not the turf CCC installed this summer.

CCC got the turf used in the Superdome during the 2016 NFL season. It still had the 2017 Sugar Bowl markings on it until very late in the installation process when the markings were shampooed out (Auburn was painted in the south end zone, Oklahoma in the other). In the winter, they hastily removed the turf from the Superdome and trucked it up to Canton which led to problems during the installation process. I was told used turf is usually sent through a roller upon removal to take the rubber out of it. The Superdome wanted this turf removed so quickly that it was never put through a roller, so it was much heavier and more difficult to handle than brand new turf, but I digress...

NFL teams replace their turf every year. Some say it's to help reduce head and neck injuries, and that might be true, but I believe it's more because new turf makes the NFL product more aesthetically pleasing both in person, and more importantly, on TV. The cost of new turf is pocket change to an NFL team.

How did CCC get this turf? The school has connections to the HoF, and there might also be a program that attempts to match up HSs looking for turf with NFL teams that are looking to get rid of their turf. The turf was purchased by CCC with the help of private donations, I presume, to help cover the purchase and the installation costs. It was not free.

Incidentally, the carpet on Cardinal Mooney's soccer/lacrosse/football practice field also came from the Saints many years ago. You can still see some of the Saints insignia on it.
Old 10-02-17, 06:54 PM
All Ohio

nupanther is on a distinguished road
I believe Mooneys turf from New Orleans is the Katrina damaged turf
Old 10-02-17, 07:13 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

"Steal a road win?" You must be joking. You know WW is good, and so do we CCC fans on this board. I needed a good laugh though.

Do not confuse CCC with LaSalle, Elder, Moeller, DeSales, or even the Akron St. V team you played last year. CCC has been a great DV program since the inception of the 7-division format, but their annual talent level is not on par with any of those Catholic schools I just named. That said, CCC will play hard, and they will play clean fundamentally sound football. Is it enough to beat this WW team? We'll find out. If they block and tackle as poorly as they did in that Strongsville game you watched, WW might name the score. If they play like they did in the 2nd half against New Philadelphia or like they did against Akron Ellet, they could keep it interesting.

WW is probably the most talented team on CCC's schedule. I know WW has made its share of mistakes this season, but they've still defeated a few teams that may also be better than anyone on CCC's schedule. Strongsville was a good team that plays in a tough league. They didn't have the skilled athletes that WW appears to have, but they still had little trouble putting a running clock on CCC.

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure this is CCC's Homecoming game (the dance doesn't happen for 3 more weeks). It is definitely not meant to be a slight to WW. The people in charge of those festivities never take quality of opponent into account when they decide which game will be Homecoming. It's as simple as we were on the road last week, and we're not on the road again until week 10. If quality of opponent was a factor, we may have cancelled Homecoming this year. There are no patsies on CCC's home schedule this year (Massillon Perry, New Philadelphia, WW, Massillon Jackson, and Wooster).
Old 10-02-17, 07:18 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over The Hills View Post

CCC fans generally don't turn out well for opponents they've never heard of, and they sure as heck don't show up early. The games could kick off at 8pm, and CCC fans would still be streaming in at 8:30pm. The SJA lot is a good option. If no luck there, just proceed to the HS lot. From the HS lot, it's a 1/4 mile walk at most to the NE gate if you cut through the soccer practice fields located behind the tennis courts. There is an open gate into the soccer practice fields at the SE corner of the tennis courts, and there is an open gate at the SE corner of the fence that separates the softball field from the stadium parking lot. You shouldn't have much trouble getting a decent seat.

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 10-02-17 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-02-17, 08:09 PM
All Ohio

Purple Hayes
Winton Woods should win convincingly on paper. But these are the kind of games where CCC usually steps up. There may be enough strange dynamics (4 hour bus ride, CCC schedule, etc.) that makes this game closer than people think as a few previous posters pointed out as well .
Old 10-02-17, 10:11 PM
All Ohio

W@rrior 11 is on a distinguished road
WW by 16. It won't be easy but is any WW game easy
Old 10-03-17, 12:04 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by W@rrior 11 View Post
WW by 16. It won't be easy but is any WW game easy
Yes! The classic Yappi line rides again. Love it!
Old 10-03-17, 07:27 AM
All Yappi

Perry 67 is on a distinguished road
Cool What?

Quote:
I hear you but I don't think so. We have a tendency to play to our opponents level. Example is the 18-15 win against LaSalle. That game should had been around 27-7 or 27-14. And add a 3 to 4 hour bus ride, kids eating pizza and drinking Hawaiian Punch at lunch, the MASH crew on the sideline. Coach Parker is pushing for a complete performance cause we are going to need it over these next 9 weeks.
Where exactly is Winton Woods located? How can they be 3-4 hrs. from Lasalle? What?
Old 10-03-17, 07:42 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry 67 View Post
Where exactly is Winton Woods located? How can they be 3-4 hrs. from Lasalle? What?
Winton Woods is located in the northern Cincinnati suburb of Forest Park.
I serves the suburban communities of Forest Park, Greenhills and Springfield Township.

3 to 4 hours from northern Cincy to Canton not 3 to 4 hours from WW to North Bend Rd.....that's more like 20 mins lol.
Old 10-03-17, 07:46 AM
All Yappi

warriorblue is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Winton Woods is in Northern Cincinnati. Right off I 275. Hamilton County near the Butler County border. It's about a 30 minute drive Southwest to Lasalle
Old 10-03-17, 07:48 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I was referring to the 3 to 4 hour bus ride to Canton. Just one reason why Winton Woods is an underdog again.
Old 10-03-17, 07:57 AM
All Ohio

I expect CCC to be motivated and have tough players.

Two very different styles in this game.

Should be a fun one this Friday and looking forward to it.

2-0 or 70-0 JUST WIN THE GAME.
Margin of victory for sports talk and no one really cares.
Old 10-03-17, 08:00 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorblue View Post
Winton Woods is in Northern Cincinnati. Right off I 275. Hamilton County near the Butler County border. It's about a 30 minute drive Southwest to Lasalle
In my post I said 20 minutes Blue cuz I drive faster than you!

Old 10-03-17, 08:03 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
Not sure if you're trying to be funny here or not. I'm pretty sure the turf you're referring to is dead and buried. It was only going to be used for that HoF game and was then going to be removed and discarded. It's definitely not the turf CCC installed this summer.
I knew I heard/read something about the Sugar Bowl Slip and must have mixed up what i heard/read. You are in the know so I bow down to your explanation.

I also thought that the turf installed in Spring 2016 for the HOF game that was canceled was the turf last used in the 2016 Sugar Bowl (Played Jan 1 2016 in N.O) That was to be installed for the HOF game and to be removed following the game. Well that game was never played and the turf was removed.... and apparently discarded.

I had no idea that they moved the New Orleans/Sugar Bowl turf 2 years in a row up to Canton.