Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins?
Danville by 17+ 1 5.88%
Danville by 8-16 7 41.18%
Danville by 1-7 2 11.76%
River by 1-7 6 35.29%
River by 8-16 1 5.88%
River by 17+ 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-17, 09:18 PM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
D VII Region 27 Championship: Danville (11-1) vs Hannibal River (8-4)

Can River upset the favored Danville Blue Devils? Discuss.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-17, 10:39 AM
All Region

Purplesage is on a distinguished road
Yes !!! Although I have not seen Danville I will say River Pilots have one of the best QB's in the state that no one knows about !!! Pilots won't beat themselves and if their "D" is anything close to last week it's going to be a struggle for Danville to score!! Can't predict a score not knowing what Danville has to offer but I'll bet Pilots can win this game!!!!
Old 11-12-17, 04:28 PM
All World

Struthersfan is on a distinguished road
Anything can happen at this stage of the game.

Good luck to the Pilots!
Old 11-12-17, 08:25 PM
Freshman

BlueDevils89 is on a distinguished road
I don't think River will be able to stop Danvilles high octane passing attack. Danville rolls onto the final four. very well could be the same outcome like it was in 2012 when Danville played River, Score was 30-6. Though I hope it will be a great game from both sides and for a injury free game!
Old 11-13-17, 10:11 AM
Junior Varsity

NorthCentral is on a distinguished road
Strength of schedule looks similar between these 2. Danville ended up with more wins, and they appear to have a much better defense comparing scores from both all season. Sciotoville East was a common opponent and the score was about the same for both games. Everything points to Danville on this one, but I'll bet River will have some big plays that will keep it close.
Old 11-13-17, 02:13 PM
Freshman

OvGuy is on a distinguished road
River began the season with 7 new starters on offense and 8 new starters on defense including 4 on the offensive line and the strong safety and strong side corner being freshman. They also played up in division in 7 of their 10 games which is really impressive as well. River is clicking on both ends right now. Really swarming and flying to the ball on the defensive side and dominating the trenches on offense. I don't think Isaly (the 2 time all-ohioan) has taken a sack in the past 4 weeks.
Old 11-13-17, 02:25 PM
Freshman

NOL fan is on a distinguished road
According to Joe Eitel River's team name is the River Pilots.

So does that make them the River River Pilots?
Old 11-13-17, 02:40 PM
All Ohio

The Dock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOL fan View Post
According to Joe Eitel River's team name is the River Pilots.

So does that make them the River River Pilots?
I’m 99% sure they’re just the River “Pilots.” I believe they get the name because Hannibal, the town where River HS is, is also the name of the town in Missouri where Mark Twain was born. Mark Twain, while famous for many great literary works of the Western Canon, was notably a riverboat pilot.
Old 11-13-17, 03:11 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
I’m 99% sure they’re just the River “Pilots.” I believe they get the name because Hannibal, the town where River HS is, is also the name of the town in Missouri where Mark Twain was born. Mark Twain, while famous for many great literary works of the Western Canon, was notably a riverboat pilot.
It is the River Pilots. Their mantra is We Are River. The school is River High School. Hannibal is just the town now and outsiders generally tack the Hannibal in the name.
Old 11-14-17, 08:33 AM
Freshman

River will have the best player on the field on Friday.

River 44
Danville 35
Old 11-14-17, 08:36 AM
Freshman

Lakindo is on a distinguished road
I thought it got "Pilots" because Hannibal is right on the river and there is a lot of barge traffic
Old 11-14-17, 10:22 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvGuy View Post
River will have the best player on the field on Friday.

River 44
Danville 35
I don’t think River will have seen a defense as stout as ours. I have respect for your QB, but I believe our QB is the better player. We don’t really lose to Ohio river teams, only team that ever beats us is Shadyside sometimes when we met in playoffs. I just don’t see River hanging a win on us. But that’s why you play the game!

Danville-42
River-14
Old 11-14-17, 10:54 AM
All District

14svt is an unknown quantity at this point
Danville There qb is very good
Old 11-14-17, 02:03 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14svt View Post
Danville There qb is very good
True. But Prep had the state's all time leading rusher...and he was still not the best player on the field.
Old 11-14-17, 02:41 PM
Freshman

Quote:
True. But Prep had the state's all time leading rusher...and he was still not the best player on the field.
He should be the leading rusher with the schedule Prep had. They’re in one of the weakest conferences known in Ohio. I still think he’s overrated.. Danville is known for producing dual threat QBs. I’m willing to bet that Rivers QB and Danville’s QB are very similar on how they play.
Old 11-14-17, 04:21 PM
All Ohio

The Dock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevils89 View Post
He should be the leading rusher with the schedule Prep had. They’re in one of the weakest conferences known in Ohio. I still think he’s overrated.. Danville is known for producing dual threat QBs. I’m willing to bet that Rivers QB and Danville’s QB are very similar on how they play.
How well did Danville do in stopping him last year?
Old 11-14-17, 04:35 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
How well did Danville do in stopping him last year?
Considering we had two defensive starters on the D-Line out and held him to barely nothing in the first half. I’d say we did great for having backups. But, hey if only we could recruit like them that wouldn’t be a problem🤓
Old 11-15-17, 07:32 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevils89 View Post
Considering we had two defensive starters on the D-Line out and held him to barely nothing in the first half. I’d say we did great for having backups. But, hey if only we could recruit like them that wouldn’t be a problem🤓
Any more excuses? River beat them. Danville did not.
Old 11-15-17, 09:49 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Any more excuses? River beat them. Danville did not.
Actually you’re wrong, Danville did beat them in the 2015 playoffs when he was starting one of his breakout seasons. We went on going to the final four that year. I get that you think River are world beaters currently, but no Ohio river team has impressed me except Shadyside.. You’ll understand why this Friday that Danville is one of the smallest schools in the state of Ohio, but we have a huge successful football tradition here.
Old 11-15-17, 10:08 AM
Freshman

I just find the lack of respect for a team you know nothing about fascinating. Danville is a really good team that deserve a lot of praise but to scoff at River only because they are a valley team is laughable and the type of things that a team like this feeds on.
Old 11-15-17, 10:15 AM
Freshman

I’m just going off of past experiences of playing Valley teams. I hope they impress me this Friday. I want to see a team from region 27 win it all every year. That way we can prove that our region is the best. I really do hope they prove me wrong this Friday night..
Old 11-16-17, 08:23 AM
Freshman

http://www.yourohiovalley.com/clip/1...kas-isaly-show

Local interview of QB Lukas Isaly. Great player, even greater kid.
Old 11-16-17, 02:11 PM
Freshman

Local times article that ran today.

ZANESVILLE — Legendary Green Bay Packers head coach Vince Lombardi once said — “Everyone has a will to win, but very few have the will to prepare to win.”

As the Ohio high school football playoffs reach the regional final round Friday night, eight teams in each of the state’s seven divisions still stand.

River is one of the survivors in Division VII, and the Pilots’ willingness to be ready for any situation, its head coach believes, is the impetus for that.

“I overestimate everyone that we play,” Mike Flannery said earlier this week as he continued strategizing for the Region 27 final against top seed Danville.

“I do that purposely. The more I overestimate, the more we prepare. I’d rather overestimate, but at the same time, I feel that we are always prepared and have a change of plan and have another answer for something they’re presenting us with.

“We try to find what works and do it. It might take a quarter to figure it out. We hope, as a staff, to figure it out and have a lot of tools in the tool box to grab if we need to change some things. That’s what we basically did (in Athens) last Friday night.”

River’s penchant for making key adjustments when called for has served it well through the first two tests of its 2017 playoff journey. Flannery hopes the trend continues when his Pilots (8-4) battle the Blue Devils (11-1) at 7:30 on the turf of the Maysville High School Athletic Complex.

“All three teams are, and have been, very well-coached and they’ve presented different philosophies as far as offense goes,” he said. “So, you’re getting those different things thrown at you when you only have four days to prepare. It challenges you as a coach and it challenges you as a player.”

Danville presents its own set of unique tests, Flannery stated. Chief among them, quarterback Skyler Durbin.

“We’re facing, no doubt, the most-talented quarterback we’ve played,” Flannery said. “He’s 6-5. He’s 200 pounds. They spread you out and they’d rather run it first and pass second. But, (Durbin) has a cannon for an arm.

“We have to find a way to make him uncomfortable and, hopefully, we’ve done that in our preparation this week.

“It’s tough to get to him. He has a nice line in front of him and he gets the ball out so fast. We have to play exceptional defense this week. It’s a whole different animal than we’ve faced before. It really is.”

Durbin has completed 199 of 313 passes for 2,823 yards and 25 touchdowns this season. His most impressive stat, according to his head coach, Ed Honabarger, are his interceptions, or lack thereof.

“The biggest thing with him is his accuracy,” said Honabarger, in his 14th season guiding the Blue Devils. “He’s only thrown four picks all year.”

Durbin also shoulders the bulk of the rushing load, as he’s of the of the rushing load as he’s racked up 995 yards on the ground and nine touchdowns on 169 carries. Chris Greenwalt, a 6-0, 213-pound junior, leads the team with 15 TDs and has 101 carries for 596 yards.

Danville has three players with 40 or more receptions — junior Corbin Hazen (6-3, 190) and seniors Tyler Mickley (5-10, 152) and Brice Berger (6-0, 193). Hazen has 68 catches for 933 yards and five TDs, Mickley has 63 receptions for 689 yards and seven scores, while Berger has 42 grabs for 803 yards and nine touchdowns.

“We try to be 50-50 on our play calling,” Honabarger said, “but whatever you need to do, you do.”

Marshall Stull, the Central District’s Division VII Player of the Year, guides Danville’s defense. The 5-10, 225-pound senior has made 23 tackles for loss. He’s third on the team with 96 stops.

Leading the Blue Devils on tackles is Berger, with 121, followed by junior Christopher Greenwalt (6-0, 213) with 102.

“We’ve evolved fairly well defensively,” Honabarger said. “I think we’ve bent, but not broken. We’ve given up some yardage here and there, but not a lot of scores in several of our games. I think our pass defense will need to be very good this week.

Danville has allowed nine yards passing in its two playoff victories. In Week 10, it allowed just 35 to a team that came in averaging 180 per outing.

“They’re very well-coached and well-disciplined,” Flannery said. “They have a lot of pride in their community like we have; a lot of similarities. That place will be jumping Friday night.”

Flannery and Honabarger coached together a few years ago in the Ohio North-South Game.

“It’s always a fun thing to go up against coaches that you know and have integrity,” Flannery said. “I know he’s very, very prepared. He’s an old wing-T guy that’s gone spread.”

The only “hiccup” Danville had this season was a 26-0 loss at Division IV Highland (8-3) in Week 4.

“They were just bigger, faster, stronger,” Honabarger lamented. “We’ve been in some close contests and had some games roll our way. Overall, though, we’re pretty pleased with how the season’s gone and you have to be happy with being in the regional championship game.”

The lone common opponent between the two schools was Sciotoville East. River, of course, throttled the Tartans last week, 59-8. The Blue Devils, meanwhile, pulled away42-6 in Week 2 after only leading 13-6 early in the fourth quarter.

The Blue Devils have made three final four appearances, the last coming two years ago.

“River’s schedule has prepared them for the playoffs,” Honabarger said. “They play a really tough schedule. We’ve been in that same situation where we were 6-4 and a lower seed. In 1999, we were the seventh seed and reached the final four and in 2004 we were the eighth seed and got there. So, it’s just about getting hot at the right time and getting a good draw. Right now, they’re confident.”

The Pilots, seeded sixcth in the region, have been riding high ever since dispatching Lucas at home, a victory that catapulted them into playoff contention and beyond.

“Each game, we’ve gotten better,” Flannery stressed. “To do what we did against Lucas, you can’t appreciate it unless you saw the game and understand the offense they ran. And you can’t understand the Harvest Prep game (River’s regional semifinal opponent) unless you saw it and understood how good (Daniel Bangura) was and how good their offensive team was.”

Flannery said the team has been great at adjusting each week to what the opposition has thrown at it, both offensively and defensively. At the core, though, things haven’t changed, especially on offense, where senior Lukas Isaly oversees things from his quarterback spot.

Last week, Isaly threw for 139 and rushed for another 125 in delivering a balanced effort that had the Tartans baffled. He was especially effective rolling out and hitting receivers near the sideline.

“He’s capable of that,” Flannery said. “And, he’s comfortable doing that on the run and throwing outside of the pocket. That’s his game. We try to get him on the perimeter because he’s a threat out there.”

Honabarger agreed.

“They have a very dynamic offense and Isaly is a great athlete,” he said. “He can hurt you with his legs and hurt you throwing the ball.”

Honabarger has also been impressed with he rest of the offense, including tight end Drew Dietz and running back Drew Wagnild.

“I feel confident with what we’ve done on offense,” Flannery said. “You show them your best first. If they can’t stop it, they’re gonna be in for a long night. But if they can stop your best, you have to try to find something else.”

Or, as Flannery likes to say, delve into your tool box.

“To be where we are from where we came, I guess it’s been a highlight of my career,” he said. “We just emphasize in the guys to trust in the preparation that we’re doing and trust each other and they do.

“It’s just a group that’s trusts each other. That’s all a coach can ask for.

“They’ve been there before,” he said. “Now, we’re there to go do what they’ve done.”

The Pilots have tried. In 2008, they took a 12-0 mark into Steubenville’s Harding Stadium, only to fall to Malvern, 38-14.

This team, Flannery said, is different in many ways, but is talented in a humble way and is treating this week’s game as if it was Week 1.

“They’re just a focused group of guys,” he said. “They don’t talk like ‘This is cool’ or anything like that. We’re just treating it like it’s another game.’

“I’m not putting pressure on them and no one is putting pressure on me. I think that’s why we’ve had this little run. We’re just adding to it, man, and it’s fun. We’re doing something different and each week has been a little different.”

Friday’s survivor advances to the state semifinals next Friday night against the winner of the Region 25 final between Dalton and Cuyahoga Heights.

“I can’t control the weather and I can’t control what the other team does,” Flannery said. “But, I can control how we prepare and we’ve put in a lot of hard work and these kids have sacrificed a lot.

“They’re invested and when you’re invested in something like our kids are right now, it’s gonna take a lot of something from that other team to take it away.”
Old 11-17-17, 10:11 PM
Freshman

29-28 Danville, what a game!!! Isaly is a damn good QB! Great game River Pilots you have definitely proved your worth! Hang your heads up high congratulations on a great season! And go BLUE!!!