Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-11-17, 08:42 PM
All Region

GoGreenGo is on a distinguished road
Is it time for the OHSAA to cap rosters?

In an era of decreased interest in football due to concussion fears and in an era of recruitment (cheating) by non-public schools (actually this has been going on for decades), is it time for the OHSAA to cap rosters at a number - say 50-60?

On the college level, away or travel teams do not travel 100 strong and are able to compete just fine. It just seems that public schools are at a disadvantage and this was the case before concussion fears have come to the conscious of families.

In the case of St.X versus Sycamore, when St.X dresses 108 and Sycamore dresses 48, there just seems to be an unfairness factor there and I know, not all 108 play. The playing field is not level.

On the issue of fairness, I am a Republican and a capitalist, I get it - life is not fair, there are winners and losers, but in this case, there is fundamentally not a level playing field.

To those saying its a great recruitment tool, I say a cap would be a greater incentive for JV players to get to dress rather than having it handed to them.

Since 2000, there has only been 4 public school winners.

Year - Winner, Runner-up
2016 - Cincinnati St. Xavier 27, Cleveland St. Ignatius 20
2015 - Lakewood St. Edward 45, Huber Heights Wayne 35
2014 - Lakewood St. Edward 31, Huber Heights Wayne 21
2013 - Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller 55, Mentor 52
2012 - Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller 20, Toledo Whitmer 12
2011 - Cleveland St. Ignatius 34, Pickerington Central 13
2010 - Lakewood St. Edward 35, Huber Heights Wayne 28
2009 - Hilliard Davidson 16, Cleveland Glenville 15
2008 - Cleveland St. Ignatius 28, Cincinnati Elder 20
2007 - Cincinnati St. Xavier 27, Mentor 0
2006 - Hilliard Davidson 36, Mentor 35 (2OT)
2005 - Cincinnati St. Xavier 24, Massillon Washington 17
2004 - Cincinnati Colerain 50, Canton McKinley 10
2003 - Cincinnati Elder 31, Lakewood St. Edward 7
2002 - Cincinnati Elder 21, Warren Harding 19
2001 - Cleveland St. Ignatius 37, Cincinnati St. Xavier 6
2000 - Upper Arlington 15, Solon 9

Thoughts?

Last edited by GoGreenGo; 11-11-17 at 09:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-17, 08:46 PM
All Ohio

Lakeshore5 is on a distinguished road
I think your logic might be flawed here. Are you saying you want less kids to participate despite participation already decreasing?
Old 11-11-17, 08:48 PM
All Yappi

MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
What is with the public school tears today?
Old 11-11-17, 08:49 PM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Is this a solution in search of a problem?
Old 11-11-17, 08:51 PM
All Region

No, the same amount of kids would participate, just they do not dress, unless on the varsity roster.

But I see your point, maybe the whole allure for a crappy JV player to actually play is to dress on Friday night. I get it, but there seems to be a disparity.

For the schools that can dress 100, I do not think it would decrease the interest in participation. If anything, it would incentivize those "on the bubble" to dress for Friday nights.
Old 11-11-17, 08:52 PM
All Ohio

Scipio is on a distinguished road
I'm trying to figure out why it's unfair to dress more players that don't play than another team. It seems to be micro-managing an issue that doesn't exist.

Are you worried how it will appear to the fans? That one sideline will be filled with more players that don't play than the other school?
Old 11-11-17, 08:56 PM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
I'll take "not remembering what the activity is for" for $800, Alex.
Old 11-11-17, 08:58 PM
All Region

No I am not concerned how it appears to fans or for the opposing team for that matter.

I think its resources, if a private all boys school, who probably recruits, is able to dress 108 there is a strong likelihood that they will have more players to choose from during the game, as they probably should, it's an all-boys school that recruits.

In the case of a public school that dresses 50 let's say, probably only 35 or so play and are the core of the team.

My point is there should be a cap to level playing field. In the case of a large private school, if they have 70 contributors lets say, but are only able to dress 60 of them, this levels the playing field.
Old 11-11-17, 09:01 PM
All Region

joelmama is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGreenGo View Post
In an era of decreased interest in football due to concussion fears and in an era of recruitment (cheating) by non-public schools (actually this has been going on for decades), is it time for the OHSAA to cap rosters at a number - say 50-60?

On the college level, away or travel teams do not travel 100 strong and are able to compete just fine. It just seems that public schools are at a disadvantage and this was the case before concussion fears have come to the conscious of family.

In the case of St.X versus Sycamore, when St.X dresses 108 and Sycamore dresses 48, there just seems to be an unfairness factor there and I know, not all 108 play.

On the issue of fairness, I am a Republican and a capitalist, I get it - life is not fair, there are winners and losers, but in this case, there is fundamentally not a level playing field.

To those saying its a great recruitment tool, I say a cap would be a greater incentive for JV players to get to dress rather than having it handed to them.

Thoughts?
Bad idea
High school sports should include as many kids that it can that will do the work to be part of the team
Old 11-11-17, 09:01 PM
All American

CARDINAL is on a distinguished road
No the best thought out thread idea
Old 11-11-17, 09:06 PM
All Ohio

Scipio is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No I am not concerned how it appears to fans or for the opposing team for that matter.

I think its resources, if a private all boys school, who probably recruits, is able to dress 108 there is a strong likelihood that they will have more players to choose from during the game, as they probably should, it's an all-boys school that recruits.

In the case of a public school that dresses 50 let's say, probably only 35 or so play and are the core of the team.

My point is there should be a cap to level playing field. In the case of a large private school, if they have 70 contributors lets say, but are only able to dress 60 of them, this levels the playing field.
Ok. That's different than your original assertion.
My answer is no. OHSAA should not get involved in that.
Old 11-11-17, 09:09 PM
All Region

Like I said the playing field is not a fair or level one. I pulled this from the most recent Colerain thread, since 2000, only four public schools have won the D1 State Title.

Year - Winner, Runner-up
Old 11-11-17, 09:12 PM
All Ohio

simkon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelmama View Post
Bad idea
High school sports should include as many kids that it can that will do the work to be part of the team
There are several high school sports where it is detrimental or not beneficial to carry extra guys. But when there are ample coaches and facilities to accommodate everyone than they obviously should do so.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-17, 09:19 PM
All World

Quote:
Like I said the playing field is not a fair or level one. I pulled this from the most recent Colerain thread, since 2000, only four public schools have won the D1 State Title.

Year - Winner, Runner-up
Do you not get that there are more important things than a level playing field? Participation, for example.
Old 11-11-17, 09:22 PM
All Ohio

suplex21 is on a distinguished road
I am not for capping rosters.
But, I recently went to a game in north carolina and was amazed that at a large high school there were only about 40 kids on each sideline. I made the comment to a gentleman next to me as I was surprised by the low numbers. His response was a puzzled face and he informed me this was just the varsity. If the kids play on JV they don't play Varsity. So the 40 kids were just the varsity players and they had another 40 on JV and another 40 on freshman.
If you think about it is basically how basketball, soccer, baseball, and softball are set up.
Just another interesting alternative.
I myself see no problem with the current situation, but I also wouldn't have a problem if the larger divisions went to this.
Old 11-11-17, 09:24 PM
All Region

No, I think there will be participation and this rule would not affect most public schools. To be completely clear in the self-interest of the rule, the capping of rosters would be designed as a check on private schools.

In terms of participation, that is what freshman or JV teams are for.
Old 11-11-17, 09:27 PM
All World

Perhaps you could figure out what the top tier publics do that your dog crap program doesn't instead.
Old 11-11-17, 09:27 PM
All Region

USA70PP is on a distinguished road
Enough with this private/public gavno. One of the things that is usually brought up is that these private schools only bring a handful of spectators to a game. Okay fair enough...because there is a smaller number of spectators for a private school then an equal number of the overwhelming numbers of the public school fans should be the only ones that have to pay admission on their side of the field.
Does that level the field for you?
Numbers are just that, numbers. Kinda like figures lie and liars figure.
Old 11-11-17, 09:34 PM
All Yappi

Wildcat97 is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't think it is fair that the vast majority of schools left in the playoffs are public schools, that's just not fair. Is that how this works? Just trying to fit in

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-17, 09:44 PM
All American

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:

If a school only dressed 60 players, it would be their best 60 players which means instead of a school bringing in back-ups to keep the score down their would probably be games that would be even more lopsided.
Old 11-11-17, 09:48 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat97 View Post
I don't think it is fair that the vast majority of schools left in the playoffs are public schools, that's just not fair. Is that how this works? Just trying to fit in

Perhaps, over all divisions. But I see this as really only being a D1 issue.
Old 11-11-17, 09:49 PM
All World

afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
Capping rosters is not going to solve the problem as you presented it. Whether a school has 50 or 100 on the sideline, you can only play 11 at a time.
Old 11-11-17, 09:52 PM
Varsity

VVTommyBoy is on a distinguished road
I don't know if our public conference recruits but I know more than a few examples of players switching teams and may have to sit out half a season. Whether it has to do with winning or increase the chances of scholarships it happens.

I thought all this competitive balance was already aimed at Catholic schools. Whining about still not being able to compete...if private schools ever split I could see a bigger problem for public schools.

I also don't buy the notion that private schools can't draw especially at traditional winners.

Anyway, if every kid in the school is willing to show up in uniform then that is okay with me. I'm pretty sure only eleven can be on the field.
Old 11-11-17, 09:58 PM
All Yappi

Wildcat97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Perhaps, over all divisions. But I see this as really only being a D1 issue.
Of course, because an agenda tends to lose legs when the full picture is taken into account

Old 11-11-17, 10:01 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Unless things have changed the state pays a certain amount for each player that travels in the postseason (number capped at some amount). It's also my guess that whoever dresses continues to practice with the team. Those additional practices could really help the future of the program. Dressing for the game is more of an incentive to continue practice.

Colleges mainly use the additional practices if they make a bowl game to get the younger guys reps. They won't install the game plan until a week or so before a game.
Old 11-11-17, 10:02 PM
Varsity

Vinegar is on a distinguished road
I think capping rosters for the sake of "parity" is a silly reason. Most of those 108 never play. If Sycamore only has 45 it's likely by design.

BUT, I think some schools will seriously start to consider cutting in football like they do for most other sports.

I am talking about the schools that don't make money...and in fact, lose money.

$300 per helmet is just a start. Times that by 100. And now, they all expire. Then you have to recondition em. Plus, that cost is only going to go up. Then shoulder pads and all the rest of the stuff. Football fills the coffers at many schools...but not even close to all of them.

Thing is, who wants to do it first?
Old 11-11-17, 10:04 PM
All American

SuperD1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

On the college level, away or travel teams do not travel 100 strong and are able to compete just fine. It just seems that public schools are at a disadvantage and this was the case before concussion fears have come to the conscious of families.

In the case of St.X versus Sycamore, when St.X dresses 108 and Sycamore dresses 48, there just seems to be an unfairness factor there and I know, not all 108 play. The playing field is not level.

Since 2000, there has only been 4 public school winners.

Year - Winner, Runner-up

Thoughts?

Thoughts;

U R dumb
U R a loser.
Old 11-11-17, 10:11 PM
All American

A Sycamore fan.

Figures.

You realize even though X dressed 100 + kids only 30 - 35 played.

I have a great comedic story for you.
We walked in to the Rusty Bucket before the game. There were 8 - 10 Aves (whatever the hell that means) fans sitting at a table. I over heard some slightly inebriated woman say she thought you were going to beat the Bombers.
The end.
Old 11-11-17, 10:14 PM
All Region

There you go super, go for the ad hominem attacks.
Old 11-11-17, 10:23 PM
All American

Quote:
There you go super, go for the ad hominem attacks.
It’s not ad hominem to point out what is obvious.

Have fun sitting at home this Friday.