Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 11-12-17, 07:58 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 27,995
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalsFan View Post
I don't even know what that means!!!

-CardinalsFan
That's because you're not complex, like SuperD1, obviously.




Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 11-12-17, 08:02 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 27,995
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
I'm a Whitmer guy. But in most years Whitmer has not had to go through Eds or Iggy or in Colerain's case X, Moe, Elder.

Still, the question of why they are successful begs. And Whitmer is a district very similar to Colerain's.
eib mentioned the diverse population. That matters, but yet the square-headed German farmers in the west central part of the state are nearly monolithic. Coaching, parenting, and communities valuing the game all play a big role in success, too.

Maybe those 4 things are like "legs", and a stool needs 3 of 4 to stand up and be solid, with coaching and parental influence being mandatory ?
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 11-12-17, 09:46 AM
irish_buffalo irish_buffalo is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-06-09
Posts: 3,223
irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Large and diverse districts that understand the importance of a good football program.

Whitmer is not in the Colerain/Mentor category but they are close. And districts are similar. The Whitmer district (Washington Local) is HUGE. House's in the district can sell for $600,000 and elsewhere they have section 8. Just about every race, culture, and creed, and have been blessed with district leadership that funds top notch facilities.
The later part of my statement here says the same thing. Large districts with solid leadership. Whitmer is located within Toledo but is not part of Toledo Public Schools and has done an excellent job standing alone as Washington Local Schools. A district that has passed it's last 7 levies, including a couple through the economic downturn because the folks understand what solid schools and sports mean and the leadership know how to sell it (good sports helps).
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 11-12-17, 10:08 AM
irish_buffalo irish_buffalo is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-06-09
Posts: 3,223
irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Mentor Median Family Income - $65,322
Colerain Township Family Income - $63,364
Washington Local (Whitmer) District Family Income - $57,202

Powell Median Family Income - $136,250
Lewis Center Median Family Income - $105,336
Orange Township Median Family Income - $104,278

The top three are large and diverse blue collar districts. The local HS football team seems to matter more to blue collar folks. It is a means of pride and escape. The Olentangy people already have both without local HS football.

But I agree, thinking of it as a stool where you need at least three of the four (or all four) legs to make it work is a great way of looking at it.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 11-12-17, 10:44 AM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 21,436
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Who knows why these two schools alongside Wayne (one off year where Wayne exits in the 1st round of the playoffs doesn't detract from their accomplishments which are very similar to Colerain & Mentors) are able to remain elite over an extended period of time and beat the parochial schools. The ONLY fact you can state here is that what they have accomplished is VERY RARE and is achieved by only a tiny percentage of Ohio's D1 public school programs.

So I'll give you my opinion: Mentor & Colerain have succeeded over the long term because of great coaching and an almost fanatical devotion to their system of football. The coaching starts up front and for Colerain that was Kerry Combs. There is a reason this guy is going nuts on THE Ohio State sideline every Saturday. Then the Cards did something almost unheard of in the D1 public school realm - they followed Coombs up with an almost equally intense head coach in Bolden. Just ask Princeton how hard that is since Mancusso retired. For Mentor it's that Triv guy. All you have to do is listen to him for 10 seconds to know he is a carbon copy of Bolden/Coombs. My guess is that when he hangs it up Mentor will drop back into the pack.

Think about how similar these two programs are. Outside of their intense, overly demanding head coaches these program have installed systems that they believe in and will not deviate from. Colerain runs the OPTION and Mentor runs the 4 wide out pass happy spread. Think about the complaints about both programs you routinely see on yappi from "friends" & "foes" alike:

* Colerain has to throw the ball. You can't win championships without a passing game. They need to open it up do you know how many great QB's and wide receivers they're losing because they run that damn option. The option is so yesterday!

* Mentor has to develop a tough run game. And man they have to play better defense! Don't you know that coach Triv steals all the best athletes and puts them on offense which is why their defense suffers. What has been the most oft repeated comment about Mentors win over Eds: "I can't believe they won like that" meaning playing good defense and not winning 59 - 56.

The simple fact is that Mentor, Colerain & Wayne are extreme exceptions to the rule.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 11-12-17, 10:49 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 27,995
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
The later part of my statement here says the same thing. Large districts with solid leadership. Whitmer is located within Toledo but is not part of Toledo Public Schools and has done an excellent job standing alone as Washington Local Schools. A district that has passed it's last 7 levies, including a couple through the economic downturn because the folks understand what solid schools and sports mean and the leadership know how to sell it (good sports helps).
Maybe that was you, then. Probably was. You know I have a hard time telling you two apart on some issues. Given that I typically skip his self-important screeds, I probably was thinking of your post.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 11-12-17, 10:51 AM
irish_buffalo irish_buffalo is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-06-09
Posts: 3,223
irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
* Colerain has to throw the ball. You can't win championships without a passing game. They need to open it up do you know how many great QB's and wide receivers they're losing because they run that damn option. The option is so yesterday!.
They already won a championship without having to throw the ball. And didn't Davidson beat Glenville a couple years back without completing a pass?

I love what Coach Triv has done at Mentor. He realizes that in most years he cannot line up and go toe to toe with Ignatius and Eds dude for dude. He has gotten creative and it has worked. Defense? Eh, they have gotten better in my opinion. Holding Eds to 14 is impressive.

I think cabe nailed it with his stool analogy though. I focused more on macro, you are getting into the micro. There are other similar districts across the state (large, diverse) that do not have the same success.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 11-12-17, 11:03 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 27,995
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
Who knows why these two schools alongside Wayne (one off year where Wayne exits in the 1st round of the playoffs doesn't detract from their accomplishments which are very similar to Colerain & Mentors) are able to remain elite over an extended period of time and beat the parochial schools. The ONLY fact you can state here is that what they have accomplished is VERY RARE and is achieved by only a tiny percentage of Ohio's D1 public school programs.

So I'll give you my opinion: Mentor & Colerain have succeeded over the long term because of great coaching and an almost fanatical devotion to their system of football. The coaching starts up front and for Colerain that was Kerry Combs. There is a reason this guy is going nuts on THE Ohio State sideline every Saturday. Then the Cards did something almost unheard of in the D1 public school realm - they followed Coombs up with an almost equally intense head coach in Bolden. Just ask Princeton how hard that is since Mancusso retired. For Mentor it's that Triv guy. All you have to do is listen to him for 10 seconds to know he is a carbon copy of Bolden/Coombs. My guess is that when he hangs it up Mentor will drop back into the pack.

Think about how similar these two programs are. Outside of their intense, overly demanding head coaches these program have installed systems that they believe in and will not deviate from. Colerain runs the OPTION and Mentor runs the 4 wide out pass happy spread. Think about the complaints about both programs you routinely see on yappi from "friends" & "foes" alike:

* Colerain has to throw the ball. You can't win championships without a passing game. They need to open it up do you know how many great QB's and wide receivers they're losing because they run that damn option. The option is so yesterday!

* Mentor has to develop a tough run game. And man they have to play better defense! Don't you know that coach Triv steals all the best athletes and puts them on offense which is why their defense suffers. What has been the most oft repeated comment about Mentors win over Eds: "I can't believe they won like that" meaning playing good defense and not winning 59 - 56.

The simple fact is that Mentor, Colerain & Wayne are extreme exceptions to the rule.
Here's to hoping that those of you in SWO continue to believe that this is the same old Mentor, but I somehow feel the coaches that are still in action know better......

Your larger point is dead on, though. These programs are the outliers that the privates always hold up to say, "See?! We aren't screwing over you peons that badly...".

Competitive Balance has merit in that it has put the Hobans et al closer to where they belong. I'm not sure how LaSalle avoided the bump up to D1. The fact remains, however, that there is no where to push the D1 privates up to in order to negate a bit of their inherent advantage.

Perhaps we need an "Ultra D1" to place all the privates with a specified tradition of success into, and permit all other schools to elect that bracket before the season begins ? Maybe even drop D7 and evenly divide the remainder ?
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 11-12-17, 11:32 AM
SuperD1 SuperD1 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-04-12
Posts: 1,134
SuperD1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
The fact remains, however, that there is no where to push the D1 privates up to in order to negate a bit of their inherent advantage.

Yes, there is. It’s time for a super division 1.
It’s time for the parochial schools to ditch the OHSAA.
No more restrictions.
Open recruiting.
Spring football.

The smaller private programs would take it on the chin for a few years. But eventually even the smallest of private programs would approach the level of the GCL South, St. I’s and Ed’s.

In the same period of time public school programs would look like a rec league baseball game.

Perhaps it would be effective to play the Cinderella song, You Don’t Know What You’ve Got Till It’s Gone while reading my post.

Not to mention an influx of these independent teams would open the possibilities of an IMG or ECA type programs in a football rich state.

Separation, it’s coming.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 11-12-17, 11:33 AM
Philly_Cat Philly_Cat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-11-13
Posts: 3,056
Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSS View Post
I agree to a point, but reality is Colerain is a football school. For whatever reason they never go after top notch coaches for other sports. Back in the day their baseball, softball, girls soccer, track and cross country did well. Football is everything now at Colerain and they start young. These kids come up in a system that is second nature to them when they get to high school. No other Colerain sport does this or can do this because of club sports etc. Colerain is what Oak Hills and others should model themselves after in regards to football. We all see the speed and athleticism the football team has, I blame the AD for not hiring better coaches for track, basketball etc. You can’t tell me these kids are only talented on the football field. It’s solid, consistent football coaching from the youth up that gives the football team the advantage.
I don't know why people keep touting the little cards program. It's nothing special. I'm not saying it's bad, but it's no standout in Cincinnati or anywhere else. The youth teams they put out are average at best. I'm not trying to put down Colerain as a whole, but if you think it's their youth program that is breeding the high school success you are sorely misinformed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 11-12-17, 11:50 AM
Termite2 Termite2 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-11-03
Location: North Sycamore Twp
Posts: 14,387
Termite2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD1 View Post
Yes, there is. It’s time for a super division 1.
It’s time for the parochial schools to ditch the OHSAA.
No more restrictions.
Open recruiting.
Spring football.

The smaller private programs would take it on the chin for a few years. But eventually even the smallest of private programs would approach the level of the GCL South, St. I’s and Ed’s.

....................................
Your scenario is a little lacking on how that would work financially for the private schools; there is no money tree to shake.
Vast majority of private schools play by the rules and more importantly the spirit of the rules, athletic success is not the priority that some think, but is a byproduct of the student population. If money were, then the 2 private schools with the most money and largest male student body would win all the basketball titles and would allow transfers.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 11-12-17, 11:50 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 27,995
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD1 View Post
Yes, there is. It’s time for a super division 1.
It’s time for the parochial schools to ditch the OHSAA.
No more restrictions.
Open recruiting.
Spring football.

The smaller private programs would take it on the chin for a few years. But eventually even the smallest of private programs would approach the level of the GCL South, St. I’s and Ed’s.

In the same period of time public school programs would look like a rec league baseball game.

Perhaps it would be effective to play the Cinderella song, You Don’t Know What You’ve Got Till It’s Gone while reading my post.

Separation, it’s coming.


Don't let the door hit you in the azz on the way out!!

The notion that all private schools would rise is laughable. You lot at the top have already cannibalized the lesser programs into near extinction. Your scenario would make it worse. I see the bulk of the private schools staying with the public schools on our terms, actually. Time will tell.

All we have to do is keep the Harbin system and recruiting rules intact. Any member school that schedules a "recruiting school" as one of their 10 games will receive no Harbin points even with a win. They will still be averaged in their score by 10 games, not 9. Problem solved, no mass exodus. We can call the shots if the OHSAA is forced to choose, and we will.

You can get in your buses and ride. Maybe JoeMontana will come out of retirement and fly you in his "private jet" ? The ol' travel budget is going to grow a bit.... We gophers don't need you You need us.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 11-12-17, 11:54 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 27,995
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Termite2 View Post
Your scenario is a little lacking on how that would work financially for the private schools; there is no money tree to shake.
Vast majority of private schools play by the rules and more importantly the spirit of the rules, athletic success is not the priority that some think, but is a byproduct of the student population. If money were, then the 2 private schools with the most money and largest male student body would win all the basketball titles and would allow transfers.
pretty much this
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 11-12-17, 12:00 PM
Termite2 Termite2 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-11-03
Location: North Sycamore Twp
Posts: 14,387
Termite2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
................. I see the bulk of the private schools staying with the public schools on our terms, actually. Time will tell.

All we have to do is keep the Harbin system and recruiting rules intact. Any member school that schedules a "recruiting school" as one of their 10 games will receive no Harbin points even with a win. They will still be averaged in their score by 10 games, not 9. Problem solved, no mass exodus. We can call the shots if the OHSAA is forced to choose, and we will.

...........................
The OHSAA might be able to split off the smaller private schools into a different classification, not going to work for the larger ones. The bigger ones would still be in with the public schools, legally; the reason for classifications by student size, along with them being members of the organization means splitting off the lager private schools would fail under federal law.
There is a way for a split and that is for the public schools to withdraw from the OHSAA and form a new organization.
The truth is that should a split occur, it would be a loss for the majority of all schools and lead to a further decrease in the general public interests in all high school sports, public or private.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 11-12-17, 12:26 PM
HSFB Fan HSFB Fan is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-31-06
Location: Shanty town USA...COLERAI
Posts: 829
HSFB Fan is on a distinguished road
At Colerain it is consistent COACHING...
Starting with Kerry Combs and then they did not miss a beat when Bolden took over.

These two coaches would have close to the same success if they coached at the other GMC schools.I would say they could most likely turn around an Oak Hills program if they wanted the challenge.

Second is the little CARDS program...While the program is not the same since Coach Hawk passed it still helps develop players and at a young age when they take the field during little card night the kids get the fire to take it at a HS Varsity level.

Third is the expectations of competing and winning...The students, coaches and community back the program and take pride in supporting it. The program does compete with the privates for talent as LaSalle and St X pull from Colerain but Colerain over the years will pull from Neighboring Districts and schools like: Cincinnati, Oak Hills, Mt Healthy, NW, FF, Ross, E.C.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 11-12-17, 01:32 PM
SuperD1 SuperD1 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-04-12
Posts: 1,134
SuperD1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Termite2 View Post
Your scenario is a little lacking on how that would work financially for the private schools; there is no money tree to shake.
Vast majority of private schools play by the rules and more importantly the spirit of the rules, athletic success is not the priority that some think, but is a byproduct of the student population. If money were, then the 2 private schools with the most money and largest male student body would win all the basketball titles and would allow transfers.
Basketball is a completely different animal. One great player can elevate an entire team. As great as Shaun Crawford, Pat Ryan and many others were. None of them were going to win a championship on an otherwise average team.

The financial burden would not be all that great. ESPN, Nike, Adidas, UA and other companies have already shown an interest in elite level HSFB.
I don’t have all the answers but t really wouldn’t be that complicated.

BTW, X and St Ignatius do allow transfers.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 11-12-17, 01:42 PM
SuperD1 SuperD1 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-04-12
Posts: 1,134
SuperD1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Termite2 View Post
The OHSAA might be able to split off the smaller private schools into a different classification, not going to work for the larger ones. The bigger ones would still be in with the public schools, legally; the reason for classifications by student size, along with them being members of the organization means splitting off the lager private schools would fail under federal law.
There is a way for a split and that is for the public schools to withdraw from the OHSAA and form a new organization.
The truth is that should a split occur, it would be a loss for the majority of all schools and lead to a further decrease in the general public interests in all high school sports, public or private.

I couldn’t disagree more.

We’ve already seen this scenario play out in baseball. When we were kids city baseball leagues were competitive. Go check out a rec. league game now. Half the kids don’t know how to throw a baseball.
The difference? Private baseball schools and academies.

BTW, how is IMG doing again? And that’s basically a boarding sports acedemy.

Spring football, higher level of competition, better exposure, more likely hood of being recruited. Not every kid can travel to the big five. It would trickle down to all the schools based on location.
The kids with size and ability would flock to the closest school.
There is already virtually no competition at the top. You honestly believe if Ed’s and Iggy ditched the OHSAA and took on a national schedule they would get worse?
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 11-12-17, 01:46 PM
SuperD1 SuperD1 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-04-12
Posts: 1,134
SuperD1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
We gophers don't need you You need us.

We need who? The two public schools who will play us?
It’s like saying the Pawtucket Bo Sox don’t need the Boston Red Sox.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 11-12-17, 01:47 PM
Philly_Cat Philly_Cat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-11-13
Posts: 3,056
Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD1 View Post
You honestly believe if Ed’s and Iggy ditched the OHSAA and took on a national schedule they would get worse?
Their cost to run the program would sore through the roof though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 11-12-17, 01:51 PM
4GX 4GX is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-23-07
Posts: 275
4GX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSFB Fan View Post
At Colerain it is consistent COACHING...
Starting with Kerry Combs and then they did not miss a beat when Bolden took over.

These two coaches would have close to the same success if they coached at the other GMC schools.I would say they could most likely turn around an Oak Hills program if they wanted the challenge.

Second is the little CARDS program...While the program is not the same since Coach Hawk passed it still helps develop players and at a young age when they take the field during little card night the kids get the fire to take it at a HS Varsity level.

Third is the expectations of competing and winning...The students, coaches and community back the program and take pride in supporting it. The program does compete with the privates for talent as LaSalle and St X pull from Colerain but Colerain over the years will pull from Neighboring Districts and schools like: Cincinnati, Oak Hills, Mt Healthy, NW, FF, Ross, E.C.
Heh!— funny to see/hear this plainly acknowledged by a (likely) Colerain supporter— I’ve always suspected this— and that it was happening through more than happenstance (in other words, these kids that were ending up in Colerain’s district— who just HAPPENED to be really good football players— were getting there through more than just luck— I’ve always suspected that some set of Colerain supporters— youth coaches, parents, alumni, and/or coaches— have been strongly “encouraging” these good football players in surrounding public school districts to find a way to transfer inside the Colerain district’s boundaries— but ALL we ever hear is “Woe is me! I’m poor lil’ Colerain, that just has to take whatever meager assortment of mediocre football players that washes up on my doorstep— and I have to compete against all of these Big, Rich, Awful Catholic schools— who all recruit away my best intra-district players!”

I’ve never believed that story for a minute— and I’ve been pretty convinced that it’s more than coincidence that one of the largest public HS’s in the state (Oak Hills) and, in fact, MOST of the other public school teams that surround Colerain (e.g.- Aiken, Western Hills, Taylor, Ross, Finneytown, North College Hill, etc.) have generally been pretty terrible— since Colerain became really good— though it wasn’t always that way... and yet, all we hear about is the alleged recruiting at X (and LaSalle— not going to argue that one), despite the fact that the student academic profiles at those surrounding public schools are much closer to Colerain’s than they are to X.... I think I KNOW where the real “athletic recruiting” is going on— and it AIN’T at X... Recruiter Extraordinaire Kerry Coombs started it 25+ years ago— and it’s never stopped since!
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 11-12-17, 01:52 PM
Philly_Cat Philly_Cat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-11-13
Posts: 3,056
Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD1 View Post
We’ve already seen this scenario play out in baseball. When we were kids city baseball leagues were competitive. Go check out a rec. league game now. Half the kids don’t know how to throw a baseball.
The difference? Private baseball schools and academies.
And baseball has become an elitist sport. In other words, the only real way you can play competitive baseball is if you have money. That has pushed a lot of potentially great baseball talent away to other sports where the entry costs are small. That's the blueprint you want football to use? I guess if you want to suppress football participation, go for it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 11-12-17, 01:54 PM
4GX 4GX is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-23-07
Posts: 275
4GX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
Their cost to run the program would sore through the roof though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Another HIGHLY misinformed individual, who doesn’t understand how athletic department finances (let alone general HS finances) work— No, their cost to run the programs would not soar through the roof.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 11-12-17, 01:55 PM
SuperD1 SuperD1 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-04-12
Posts: 1,134
SuperD1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
Their cost to run the program would sore through the roof though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
How? They already travel extensively. They already lease out stadium space.
Worse case scenario is a FB fee tacked on to tuition. I’d be more than happy to throw 2k or whatever would be needed to play a national schedule. I’m guessing the vast majority of parents wouldn’t mind either. Of course under this premise there’d be nothing preventing alumni from picking up the tab and or financing athletic scholarships.

I’ve been saying all of this for years. It’s fun to talk about but we’re going to see it all play out sooner than you may think.

Last edited by SuperD1; 11-12-17 at 02:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 11-12-17, 01:56 PM
Philly_Cat Philly_Cat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-11-13
Posts: 3,056
Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4GX View Post
Another HIGHLY misinformed individual, who doesn’t understand how athletic department finances (let alone general HS finances) work— No, their cost to run the programs would not soar through the roof.
So the cost to play a team 5 miles away is the same as the cost to play one 1000 miles away? Maybe I am bad at math and economics. Please educate me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 11-12-17, 01:58 PM
SuperD1 SuperD1 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-04-12
Posts: 1,134
SuperD1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
So the cost to play a team 5 miles away is the same as the cost to play one 1000 miles away? Maybe I am bad at math and economics. Please educate me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
What teams do they play that are five miles apart?
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 11-12-17, 02:01 PM
Philly_Cat Philly_Cat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-11-13
Posts: 3,056
Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD1 View Post
How? They already travel extensively. They already lease out stadium space.
Worse case scenario is a FB fee tacked on to tuition. I’d be more than happy to throw 2k or whatever would be needed to play a national schedule. I’m guessing vast majority of parents wouldn’t mind either. Of course under this premise there’s be nothing from alumni picking up the tab and or financing athletic scholarships.

I’ve been saying all of this for years. It’s fun to talk about but we’re going to see it all play out sooner than you may think.
Wow, I'm glad you've got an extra $2000 just collecting dust. I'm guessing most other Catholic families, that say they are hardworking, blue collar, middle class folk (I tend to believe them actually), aren't as willing as you to just tack on another 2 grand to their already growing tuition.

And the fact that Catholic school supporters always seem to talk about how it's not about sports, it's about giving a quality education to their communities (oh yea, and religion in there somewhere). This post flies completely in the face of that supposed premise.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 11-12-17, 02:04 PM
4GX 4GX is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-23-07
Posts: 275
4GX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
And baseball has become an elitist sport. In other words, the only real way you can play competitive baseball is if you have money. That has pushed a lot of potentially great baseball talent away to other sports where the entry costs are small. That's the blueprint you want football to use? I guess if you want to suppress football participation, go for it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Yeah— low entry cost sports like football!— where the equipment costs more than just about any sport but hockey...

As for suppressing football participation— that is happening (and will continue to happen even more), as informed, middle-class (and up) mothers realize that the sport is fundamentally dangerous to their sons’ long-term mental health (along with the long-known risks to physical health)— participation is falling in nearly all corners of the sport at the youth level—and will continue to do so— irrespective of any other competitive factors... football is going to (eventually) end up with similar participation demographics to boxing— economically unsuccessful ethnic groups will dominate the sport— because they will (delusionally) see it as one of the best ways out of their depressed economic circumstances.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 11-12-17, 02:10 PM
SuperD1 SuperD1 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-04-12
Posts: 1,134
SuperD1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
And the fact that Catholic school supporters always seem to talk about how it's not about sports, it's about giving a quality education to their communities (oh yea, and religion in there somewhere). This post flies completely in the face of that supposed premise.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
You never heard that from me. It’s definitely about sports. It’s about a lot of other things too. But what makes writing the checks easy is athletics.

Last edited by SuperD1; 11-12-17 at 05:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 11-12-17, 02:12 PM
Philly_Cat Philly_Cat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-11-13
Posts: 3,056
Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD1 View Post
What teams do they play that are five miles apart?
It was more of an exaggerated example but if you need more specifics, in Cincinnati you have Mason/Moeller, Moeller/Sycamore, any game combination of Colerain, Oak Hills, Elder and LaSalle. ST X is is the middle of all of them and isn't a real far travel to play any of them mentioned schools so far. McNick/Anderson/Turpin or Middletown/Fenwick. To be honest, traveling to any school in the Cincinnati area isn't much of a haul for any school.

Now let's compare those inter-city games to St X traveling to Vegas to play Bishop Gorman. You really going to say that's comparable financially?

I can't believe I'm even having this argument lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 11-12-17, 02:14 PM
Philly_Cat Philly_Cat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-11-13
Posts: 3,056
Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4GX View Post
Yeah— low entry cost sports like football!— where the equipment costs more than just about any sport but hockey...

As for suppressing football participation— that is happening (and will continue to happen even more), as informed, middle-class (and up) mothers realize that the sport is fundamentally dangerous to their sons’ long-term mental health (along with the long-known risks to physical health)— participation is falling in nearly all corners of the sport at the youth level—and will continue to do so— irrespective of any other competitive factors... football is going to (eventually) end up with similar participation demographics to boxing— economically unsuccessful ethnic groups will dominate the sport— because they will (delusionally) see it as one of the best ways out of their depressed economic circumstances.
I dare you to compare the cost to play for ANY youth football organization in Ohio to playing for a select baseball team. Even the cheapest of the select teams, that really aren't anything more than glorified rec/community teams, will cost you $400-500 to play. Find a football team that costs that much to play. Damn, most football costs you less than 100 to get on the field.

And yes, participation in football is already declining. Would you like to add to that by increasing the costs for kids to play?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Week 13: Colerain ReLoad St Xavier Bombers 84 11-21-17 08:12 PM
OFFICIAL GMC 2017 Thread AJJ5 Football 1231 11-12-17 11:28 AM
Week 11: Fairfield ReLoad St Xavier Bombers 62 11-08-17 02:19 PM
"OFFICIAL" Colerain vs. Fairfield ~~GMC CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION~~ Poll CardinalsFan Football 21 10-27-17 06:42 PM
The Not So "Official" Colerain VS Sycamore--- GMC Champs VS GMC Pretenders Edition Colerain Fan Football 49 09-19-17 05:42 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz