Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-12-17, 02:45 PM
All Region

Ownage is on a distinguished road
MyMar with the pin! He looked great.
Old 11-12-17, 02:46 PM
All Region

Moore wins by forfeit.
Old 11-12-17, 02:54 PM
All Region

Sun Devlis bumping their 197 to wrestle Snyder, Hall ducks.
Old 11-12-17, 02:56 PM
All Region

mrroosevelt is on a distinguished road
Final
OSU 31
ASU 12

Martin with fall at 184
Moore by FF at 197
Snyder by fall at HWT
Old 11-12-17, 02:57 PM
All Region

Buckeyes win 31-12
Old 11-12-17, 02:58 PM
All Region

mrroosevelt is on a distinguished road
High point of the match: Campbell dominated Valencia at 165.
Low points of the match: Both Jordans struggled.
Old 11-12-17, 05:47 PM
All World

bdhof is on a distinguished road
125 As expected. Meade kept it close for awhile, but he had a very good opponent.
133 Pletcher has started the season with several nail-biters against unranked opponents. I thought he'd dominate these kind of guys now that he's at his true weight. At this point he looks like a R12, right where he's ranked, rather than a spot on the podium. It's early, so maybe he just needs some time to get going.
141 McKenna was solid but not as dominant as I thought he'd be against an unranked opponent. But I think he's that kind of wrestler - more of a Dean Heil than a Zain.
149 Very solid win for Hayes against a ranked opponent.
157 Down 5-4 in the 3rd, he chooses neutral because he can't get away. Then gets taken down.
165 WOW. I don't think he beats the top 3, but he could be the 4th best 165. This is a guy pegged as a R12 by most rankers.
174 WOW again, but in the wrong direction. ZV is really good. I don't know if Bo or Hall can beat him this year.
184 MyMar did what top wrestlers are supposed to do to inferior opponents.
285 Maybe Hall was banged up and was only going to wrestle if his appearance might keep Snyder to no bonus points and a team victory for AZST. MyMar clinched it so they pull Hall (I'm guessing). But why send the 197 out to wrestle Snyder instead of Moore? He was likely going to get pinned regardless, but I don't get this decision. Perhaps they didn't want to disappoint Buckeye fans who wanted to see Snyder wrestle. Or perhaps this kid told his coach he wanted to wrestle an Olympic champ. This one puzzled me.

And it's early to get too high or low on anyone, but these are my quick thoughts. BTW, nice crowd at St John's and a nice team victory for tOSU against a good AZST team.
Old 11-12-17, 07:03 PM
Freshman

Mutant is on a distinguished road
Did anybody think the pin at 125 was a little quick?
Old 11-12-17, 08:29 PM
All Ohio

NCAAOHref is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant View Post
Did anybody think the pin at 125 was a little quick?
Only has to a be a second and the ref was looking right at it.
Old 11-12-17, 09:06 PM
All Ohio

Divided42 is on a distinguished road
Heck of a showing by Campbell but 1 match against a wrestler who makes Micah look good on bottom and you have him top 4? At a weight like 165? Slow your roll there lol. Not saying he can't be but maybe wait a bit and see some more results. Zahid is and has been the best 174 in the country, he is better than Hall imo but hats off to Mark for getting it done at NCAAs when it counted. He's hardly unbeatable though, Amine came within an eyelash of beating him Friday. Personally I think Zahid is just a bad matchup for Bo.
Old 11-12-17, 09:07 PM
All Region

CincyWrestler is on a distinguished road
Remember when guys couldn't take Bo down if he was able to stuff a shot and sprawl, Martin last season and Valencia both took him after their initial shot was stuffed and he was in good position, also he just doesn't look nearly as explosive as he used to, hopefully that's because of his foot injury and lack of mat time and as the season goes on he gets some of that back.

Anthony Valencia beat Te'Shan Campbell 9-2 in the second round of the NCAA's last season. I'd say wrestling with OSU's big guns have helped a bit.
Old 11-12-17, 10:39 PM
All Ohio

wrestling125 is on a distinguished road
Bo Jordan looked like a sac of potatoes
Old 11-13-17, 10:09 AM
All District

Old142 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestling125 View Post
Bo Jordan looked like a sac of potatoes
Jordan's never been flashy or an offensive juggernaut, I really think it's a matter of peaking a few years ago, and guys who rely on strength and defense often get figured out eventually by top tier offensive guys. Great kid and career though, some things are more important than an NCAA championship.
Old 11-13-17, 10:21 AM
All American

Yankeefan33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old142 View Post
Jordan's never been flashy or an offensive juggernaut, I really think it's a matter of peaking a few years ago, and guys who rely on strength and defense often get figured out eventually by top tier offensive guys. Great kid and career though, some things are more important than an NCAA championship.
One of the most impressive facts in wrestling involves Bo Jordan- he has never lost to someone who wasn't an NCAA finalist. I'm guessing Valencia will be there at some point, and if Bo ends his career with no championships but no bad losses I think that's pretty great.
Old 11-13-17, 11:18 AM
All World

bdhof is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divided42 View Post
Heck of a showing by Campbell but 1 match against a wrestler who makes Micah look good on bottom and you have him top 4? At a weight like 165? Slow your roll there lol. Not saying he can't be but maybe wait a bit and see some more results. Zahid is and has been the best 174 in the country, he is better than Hall imo but hats off to Mark for getting it done at NCAAs when it counted. He's hardly unbeatable though, Amine came within an eyelash of beating him Friday. Personally I think Zahid is just a bad matchup for Bo.
Yeah, I may have gotten a little exuberant with his win, but my point was that the top 3 at 165 are separated from the next tier. And Campbell, IMO, has shown that he is in that next tier.
Old 11-13-17, 11:28 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhof View Post
Yeah, I may have gotten a little exuberant with his win, but my point was that the top 3 at 165 are separated from the next tier. And Campbell, IMO, has shown that he is in that next tier.
Along with guys like Chandler Rogers (Okie St), Chad Walsh (Rider), and David McFadden (Va Tech). We will know a ton more in the next month and a half after Cliff Keen, Scuffle, and Midlands.
Old 11-13-17, 12:11 PM
All Ohio

Divided42 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeefan33 View Post
Along with guys like Chandler Rogers (Okie St), Chad Walsh (Rider), and David McFadden (Va Tech). We will know a ton more in the next month and a half after Cliff Keen, Scuffle, and Midlands.
Exactly that next tier could have quite a few guys in it. I'm not ruling Chance Marstellar out of that next tier at this point either. Big if but if he's in shape and motivated he has the talent to be in the first tier with IMar, Cenzo, and Massa. And I'm not ruling Isiah White out of that next tier either.
Old 11-13-17, 08:10 PM
Freshman

Dar_of_Emur is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeefan33 View Post
Marinelli
Old 11-14-17, 11:16 AM
All American

jmog is on a distinguished road
Interesting stat I just read.

Kyle Snyder has 12 takedowns.
Arizona as a team had 8 combined.
Old 11-14-17, 01:12 PM
All Region

innoshape is on a distinguished road
Slightly edited comments from my wife at the dual:

125 No Nate? Meade did good job until got caught with defensive pin.
133 I like Pletcher, he looks tough to score takedowns on, but looked a bit winded.
141 Our guy took 3rd at NCAA couple years ago? He should have destroyed the other guy.
149 Our guy looks like a beast, but he looks like he is gassing.
157 Our guy needs to get his head off the mat. "Get your head off the mat", Why can't he get off bottom?
165 I thought you said the AZ State guy was ranked? Tilts? I don't remember seeing somebody get tilted in College
Near end of 3rd period A. Valencia on top: "come on, he's trying that rolling half again, here it comes! EEEK! Not again!" Stop it!"
174 This doesn't make sense. Bo looks like he can break this guy in half.
184 Our guy is beating theirs at half speed.
197 They don't have a 197?
285 Their guy isn't a hwt. Is their real hwt afraid or just scouting Snyder? BOOOOO!
Old 11-14-17, 03:49 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar_of_Emur View Post
Marinelli
Maybe, but got beat by Valencia last year, best win is who? Clark Glass? Imma wait on Marinelli
Old 11-15-17, 08:47 AM
All District

Rob_Jennings is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by innoshape View Post
Slightly edited comments from my wife at the dual:

125 No Nate? Meade did good job until got caught with defensive pin.
133 I like Pletcher, he looks tough to score takedowns on, but looked a bit winded.
141 Our guy took 3rd at NCAA couple years ago? He should have destroyed the other guy.
149 Our guy looks like a beast, but he looks like he is gassing.
157 Our guy needs to get his head off the mat. "Get your head off the mat", Why can't he get off bottom?
165 I thought you said the AZ State guy was ranked? Tilts? I don't remember seeing somebody get tilted in College
Near end of 3rd period A. Valencia on top: "come on, he's trying that rolling half again, here it comes! EEEK! Not again!" Stop it!"
174 This doesn't make sense. Bo looks like he can break this guy in half.
184 Our guy is beating theirs at half speed.
197 They don't have a 197?
285 Their guy isn't a hwt. Is their real hwt afraid or just scouting Snyder? BOOOOO!
your name is innoshape, you're not qualified to harp on anyone for being "gassed", let alone right out of the gate in the season. when would you rather have someone peak, now or at the end when everything matters and is on the line? No one ever remembers who won duals or tournaments during the season, what happened at the end? Coach Ryan has a LONG track record of producing results when it counts. Are there going to be outliers? absolutely, b/c it is the wrestler who has to perform. Also, the other guys are training hard and are REALLY good at wrestling too. Sometimes a loss/reality check can be the best thing for an individual or a team. This is a marathon not a sprint, be the tortoise, enjoy the ride...
Old 11-15-17, 09:00 AM
All World

coolguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Jennings View Post
your name is innoshape, you're not qualified to harp on anyone for being "gassed", let alone right out of the gate in the season. when would you rather have someone peak, now or at the end when everything matters and is on the line? No one ever remembers who won duals or tournaments during the season, what happened at the end? Coach Ryan has a LONG track record of producing results when it counts. Are there going to be outliers? absolutely, b/c it is the wrestler who has to perform. Also, the other guys are training hard and are REALLY good at wrestling too. Sometimes a loss/reality check can be the best thing for an individual or a team. This is a marathon not a sprint, be the tortoise, enjoy the ride...
You clearly ignored his the first sentence in his post.
Old 11-15-17, 10:06 AM
All District

well yes, yes I did...lol

I apologize to innoshape, my bad...I would also be the person to complete the whole test after not reading the directions that told you to only write your name on it and hand it in.

However I still stick by my post based on everything we will read about tosu over the next 3 months, just get tired of everyone expecting a "perfect" performance EVERY time they wrestle...
Old 11-15-17, 12:40 PM
All Region

Blast82.5 is on a distinguished road
While I agree that it's more important to win at the end of the season than at the beginning, I don't think one must make a choice. They are not mutually exclusive. (See: Penn State.) Perhaps every match isn't your "best" match, but I suspect most coaches and wrestlers know the type of training it takes to go 7 minutes, competing the whole time (not just trying to get through the time). And I don't think that is a terribly high hurdle. IMO, that level of conditioning should be apparent in every match, not just those at the end of the season.

I think that's why people are sometimes a bit disheartened when the OSU guys appear to be unprepared for 7 minute matches.
Old 11-15-17, 01:17 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast82.5 View Post
While I agree that it's more important to win at the end of the season than at the beginning, I don't think one must make a choice. They are not mutually exclusive. .
Great point. 'False choice' arguments are generally a sign of a weak hand or overrationalization. Sometimes both.
Old 11-15-17, 02:34 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast82.5 View Post
While I agree that it's more important to win at the end of the season than at the beginning, I don't think one must make a choice. They are not mutually exclusive. (See: Penn State.) Perhaps every match isn't your "best" match, but I suspect most coaches and wrestlers know the type of training it takes to go 7 minutes, competing the whole time (not just trying to get through the time). And I don't think that is a terribly high hurdle. IMO, that level of conditioning should be apparent in every match, not just those at the end of the season.

I think that's why people are sometimes a bit disheartened when the OSU guys appear to be unprepared for 7 minute matches.
It is harder to stay on top than to get to the top. Same goes for conditioning. I'm fine as a coach or wrestler with not being in "peak" shape at the beginning of the season b/c the only way to get in "peak" shape is to wrestle live matches. you can't simulate it in practice. It's impossible to "peak" all season.