Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Cardinals VS Bombers Region 4 Final
Colerain wins by 21ish and feasts on the Bombers 2 2.38%
Colerain Wins by 10 or Less 37 44.05%
Colerain squeeks out an OT win 8 9.52%
Bombers win by 21ish and feasts on roasted Cardinals 2 2.38%
Bombers win by 10 or less 30 35.71%
Bombers squeek out an OT win 5 5.95%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-17, 09:47 AM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfan1212 View Post
Is this a new rule in itself or is it part of the recruiting dead period due to the new early signing period?
Pretty sure its a new add on to the recruiting dead period rule.
Old 11-14-17, 09:47 AM
This is the year

gocards is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfan1212 View Post
Is this a new rule in itself or is it part of the recruiting dead period due to the new early signing period?
I think it's because of the new early signing period.
Old 11-14-17, 09:50 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocards View Post
I think it's because of the new early signing period.
Or that.
Old 11-14-17, 09:52 AM
This is the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish82 View Post
Or that.
Old 11-14-17, 09:53 AM
All World

HTFF is on a distinguished road
That's why the crosstown games were moved at the last minute at the start of the season
Old 11-14-17, 09:58 AM
All Yappi

BobcatBomber is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Justin Hilliard says hi.
I'm well before his time and don't know him, but tell him hi for me anyway.
Old 11-14-17, 10:04 AM
All Yappi

BobcatBomber is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
They are no longer allowed to have the games at college stadium's because somebody has deemed it a recruiting advantage for the host schools.
I see.

Follow up - are private schools allowed to host regional playoff games? Could X, for example, host a regional final that doesn't involve them?
Old 11-14-17, 10:11 AM
This is the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobcatBomber View Post
I see.

Follow up - are private schools allowed to host regional playoff games? Could X, for example, host a regional final that doesn't involve them?
Good point. You should take that up with CardinalsFan.
Old 11-14-17, 10:14 AM
All World

L Hand is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalsFan View Post
Still trying to find where I said X recruits athletes.

You people just read whatever you want into stuff, don't you? You put your X blinders on and make whatever you read fit your narrative.

-CardinalsFan

I knew there was zero chance your last post on the issue was actually going to be your last post on the issue.
Old 11-14-17, 10:18 AM
All World

Quote:
Yes! Can you (or anyone else) tell me why regional games are no longer played at Nippert? Is it rising cost of facility rental, or lack of draw from schools like back in the day when Colerain-Elder/Moeller-X double header nearly filled PBS and consistently sold out Nippert?

Nippert is a fantastic facility for HS football.
It is totally related to attendance vis--vis cost. The reason why the Crosstown was moved would not prevent playoff games from being played at college stadiums (for a number of reasons including it isn't organized by a third party organizer) and the rule was changed anyhow.

If we fans could support the games the way we used to, both Nippert and Paul Brown would still be in play as venues.

On that note, I can't explain it and nobody has been able to give me an adequate explanation. Why the heck has attendance at high school football games in southern Ohio dropped off the table the last ten - fifteen years?
Old 11-14-17, 10:21 AM
All World

WestSideBomber is on a distinguished road
It is such a shame that Nippert can't (or at least decided not to) host. A Region 8/Region 4 doubleheader would be an amazing event this year. I'd have to imagine they could draw ~25,000 depending on the weather.
Old 11-14-17, 10:22 AM
All World

Quote:
I see.

No - they are too busy playing in playoff games and besides, they would rather go to venues where the public schools supporters do all the work for them.

The actual answer is that there is no reason a private school couldn't host playoff games. Of course, they have to bid for them first.
Old 11-14-17, 10:25 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSideBomber View Post
It is such a shame that Nippert can't host anymore. A Region 8/Region 4 doubleheader would be an amazing event this year. I'd have to imagine they could draw ~25,000 depending on the weather.
Nippert absolutely could host. The rule didn't effect playoff games and has been changed back anyhow.

The reason why it is not happening is because the OHSAA obviously didn't think it was possible to do a Friday doubleheader and/or that it wouldn't make enough money to justify it.

The sad fact is that unless things change attendance-wise, we may have seen our last high school football game at Nippert.
Old 11-14-17, 11:09 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I'm well before his time and don't know him, but tell him hi for me anyway.
Introduce yourself next time hes back in town...ask him how he did on the entrance exam.
Old 11-14-17, 11:16 AM
All Region

GCLFan99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Introduce yourself next time hes back in town...ask him how he did on the entrance exam.
Very inappropriate speculating on the entrance test scores of any specific individual. And I highly doubt you are privy to what he, or any other student (outside of your own) got on the entrance exam scores.

If you feel the need to discuss academics stay away from speculation on any individual student. Its inappropriate.
Old 11-14-17, 11:23 AM
All World

JBaller
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSideBomber View Post
It is such a shame that Nippert can't (or at least decided not to) host. A Region 8/Region 4 doubleheader would be an amazing event this year. I'd have to imagine they could draw ~25,000 depending on the weather.
I disagree. Attendance for playoff games has been falling for years. X or Elder are the only two schools that bring a big enough crowd to even get close, but the public schools' fans don't travel like they used to. The Colerain-Mason playoff game last week couldn't have had more than 3,000 in attendance.
Old 11-14-17, 11:33 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCLFan99 View Post
Very inappropriate speculating on the entrance test scores of any specific individual. And I highly doubt you are privy to what he, or any other student (outside of your own) got on the entrance exam scores.

If you feel the need to discuss academics stay away from speculation on any individual student. Its inappropriate.
WSB falsely claimed that no one gets into X unless they pass the entrance exam. I was merely correcting him.

It wasn’t exactly a secret that he tanked it, at least not in The WC. He basically bragged to the entire class that X gave him a “waiver,” and actually showed my daughter and her buddies the score.

Anyway, he’s been out of HS for 3 years, so I’m not sure why your knickers are so twisty over it.
Old 11-14-17, 11:40 AM
This is the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaller View Post
I disagree. Attendance for playoff games has been falling for years. X or Elder are the only two schools that bring a big enough crowd to even get close, but the public schools' fans don't travel like they used to. The Colerain-Mason playoff game last week couldn't have had more than 3,000 in attendance.
It's been a long time since a Colerain/St X game has come close to a sell out either at Colerain or St X or a neutral site and they have played each other twice a year for the last 4 years. The private school attendance has fallen off dramatically too.
Old 11-14-17, 12:14 PM
All World

Quote:
It's been a long time since a Colerain/St X game has come close to a sell out either at Colerain or St X or a neutral site and they have played each other twice a year for the last 4 years. The private school attendance has fallen off dramatically too.
Agreed. This is not a public/private issue. It appears to be happening at similar rates everywhere. And I can't for the life of me figure out why.
Old 11-14-17, 01:29 PM
This is the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by L Hand View Post
Agreed. This is not a public/private issue. It appears to be happening at similar rates everywhere. And I can't for the life of me figure out why.
I think the Herbstreit Classic kept the interest in high school football at a high level for several years by bringing in nationally rated teams.
Old 11-14-17, 02:05 PM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Maybe the tailgating is so good they are staying out in the parking lot?
Old 11-14-17, 02:37 PM
Varsity

papa300 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalsFan View Post
They aren't allegations, they are facts. Every single kid walking the halls at a privately funded institution is recruited. Every. Single. One.

I'm sorry, are we just going to tiptoe around the facts that the rules by which privates and publics are sourced with students are completely different and therefore, it does, in fact create a non-level, or "unfair", playing field?

I would be fine if your kind would just admit that it isn't fair and that private schools have a clear advantage so we could all just move on with our lives. But this incessant need to defend a false narrative drives me absolutely nuts!

But I digress...I closed that thread because the nature of the conversation went way over most posters' heads. I get that now. Not sure what I was expecting when involving GCL posters. The best thread this entire football season is the 2017 GMC Football thread for a reason...

Back to the game...did you have any insight to add to the upcoming contest 4GX or did you just come in here to rattle chains?

-CardinalsFan
In the late 90s my son and a grade school classmate were put on a waiting list to attend X due to their just missing the minimum entrance exam score. Both were excellent football players. As parents we made every effort to reach out to then coach Steve Rasso to try to influence their acceptance. They both went on to have excellent careers in LaSalle football. They would have helped Xs defense in a 33-10 State Final loss to Canton Mckinley in 1998. They weren't recruiting at that time.

No State Championships at LaSalle then but they did beat a Combs coached Colerain team in 1999.
Old 11-14-17, 02:51 PM
All World

ReLoad is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
WSB falsely claimed that no one gets into X unless they pass the entrance exam. I was merely correcting him.

It wasnt exactly a secret that he tanked it, at least not in The WC. He basically bragged to the entire class that X gave him a waiver, and actually showed my daughter and her buddies the score.

Anyway, hes been out of HS for 3 years, so Im not sure why your knickers are so twisty over it.
Well if your innocent baby girl said so then that confirms it for me.
What else did princess say he showed her?
Old 11-14-17, 03:21 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
Well if your innocent baby girl said so then that confirms it for me.
What else did princess say he showed her?
Not your best work, ReRun.
Old 11-14-17, 03:40 PM
All Yappi

Spille is on a distinguished road
Yes, X does have an "entrance" exam but nobody here believes they don't bend the rules or skew the results of the test for the athletes they want. Administrative "mistakes" and/or "corrections" are made to their benefit.

I have no doubt Colerain bends the rules for their student athletes as well. Heck, most high-school do it I'm sure.
Old 11-14-17, 03:50 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spille View Post
Yes, X does have an "entrance" exam but nobody here believes they don't bend the rules or skew the results of the test for the athletes they want. Administrative "mistakes" and/or "corrections" are made to their benefit.

I have no doubt Colerain bends the rules for their student athletes as well. Heck, most high-school do it I'm sure.
I said earlier and Ill say it again...its in no way commonplace. The notion that private schools are making this common practice is 100% false. Still, so is the notion that it never happens.
Old 11-14-17, 05:00 PM
RUN FAST, HIT HARD!

tofer23 is on a distinguished road
The part that most seem to be forgetting this week is that Colerain had St. X beat in their first meeting this season, if not for Colerain's sudden inability to stop the short passing game, it could have very easily been a 14-0 shut out by the Cards. Also, the last time the Cards faced X at Mason, it was the biggest blowout by Colerain ever in the series.

I think Colerain's offense is obviously MUCH better than they were in week two of the season, and the Defense has been great all year. I don't see any indications that St. X is any better or worse than they were in week two.

I don't think the Cardinal's defense will allow another 4th quarter comeback by X this time.

Tofer23's Pick:

THe Mighty Colerain Cardinals 31

St. Echs Bumbers 24
Old 11-14-17, 05:05 PM
All World

WestSideBomber is on a distinguished road
Quote:

It wasnt exactly a secret that he tanked it, at least not in The WC. He basically bragged to the entire class that X gave him a waiver, and actually showed my daughter and her buddies the score.

Anyway, hes been out of HS for 3 years, so Im not sure why your knickers are so twisty over it.
Where did I claim that exactly?
Old 11-14-17, 05:25 PM
All World

JBaller
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofer23 View Post
Tofer23's Pick:

St. Echs Bumbers 24
No way the game is that high scoring.
Old 11-14-17, 05:28 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofer23 View Post
The part that most seem to be forgetting this week is that Colerain had St. X beat in their first meeting this season, if not for Colerain's sudden inability to stop the short passing game, it could have very easily been a 14-0 shut out by the Cards. Also, the last time the Cards faced X at Mason, it was the biggest blowout by Colerain ever in the series.

I think Colerain's offense is obviously MUCH better than they were in week two of the season, and the Defense has been great all year. I don't see any indications that St. X is any better or worse than they were in week two.

I don't think the Cardinal's defense will allow another 4th quarter comeback by X this time.

Tofer23's Pick:

St. Echs Bumbers 24
What are you smoking. Look at the poll results. Colerain is the CLEAR favorite. Heck, I think X's only hope is almost perfect weather. Bad weather, and well, I just hope the Bombers can keep it close.