Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who will win?
Hoban 51 52.04%
Barberton 47 47.96%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-17, 04:28 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Weekk 4 last yeat green vs McKinley
Old 11-11-17, 04:31 PM
All Ohio

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm rooting for Barberton over Hoban in this one. Hoban has already won two state championships the last couple years, and with their recruiting machine, they will win many more in the coming years. Barberton has not had a single football state championship in its history, and only two state titles in any sport, the last one was 1976. Whats more their district is right there next to mine. Barberton, go get you a ring. From a Coventry fan, go Magic.
Old 11-11-17, 04:55 PM
All Yappi

bedevil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Ugh. Not a bad stadium, but the visitor's side isn't great. This game was worthy of a premier venue. I guess I should just be happy they didn't take them to Byers, Lakewood or some other nonsensical venue.
Maybe the University of Akron didn't submit a bid to have the game at Infocision. If it did and the OHSAA disqualified the bid because Hoban has played there this season, that is plain stupid. You have to figure Spectrum would air this game, unless it opts for Ignatius-Mentor. But if it chooses to air Barberton v Hoban, suddenly that press box is going to get mighty tight.

I figure this game has a chance to draw 6-7,000. I was hoping for Infocision, but Green is a suitable site for this game.
Old 11-11-17, 05:23 PM
Varsity

BleedPurple13 is on a distinguished road
The home side is more than enough and it's a great stadium, but Barberton has traveled well to all their away games this season and had a huge crowd at Ravenna. I think if they bring in some additional seating, like extra bleachers for the band it will be ok. Infocision would he much better. I think this game has a chance to bring a big crowd of football fans, not just Hoban or Barberton fans.
Old 11-11-17, 05:24 PM
All Ohio

owencountykentucky is on a distinguished road
I saw an undefeated Barberton team play in 1947 and I thought they won the State Championship that year. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 11-11-17, 05:29 PM
Varsity

They did. I believe it was an AP but it could have been some other group voting, but they have never won a playoff championship. Never won a playoff game until this season.
Old 11-11-17, 05:39 PM
All Yappi

bedevil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedPurple13 View Post
The home side is more than enough and it's a great stadium, but Barberton has traveled well to all their away games this season and had a huge crowd at Ravenna. I think if they bring in some additional seating, like extra bleachers for the band it will be ok. Infocision would he much better. I think this game has a chance to bring a big crowd of football fans, not just Hoban or Barberton fans.
For the baseball and softball championships, the OHSAA determines the home team by the team positioned in the upper bracket. If they maintain that practice for football, then Barberton will be the visiting team.
Old 11-11-17, 06:10 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedevil View Post
For the baseball and softball championships, the OHSAA determines the home team by the team positioned in the upper bracket. If they maintain that practice for football, then Barberton will be the visiting team.
That's what I was assuming. The home side should be more than enough for Hoban and all of the other fans wanting to watch, but the away side will be too small IMO.
Old 11-11-17, 06:21 PM
All Yappi

Maxie has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
They did. I believe it was an AP but it could have been some other group voting, but they have never won a playoff championship. Never won a playoff game until this season.

Yes, Barberton won the first AP Poll, recognized by the OHSAA, in 1947. Wow, I didn't know the Magics' first playoff win occurred this season.
Old 11-11-17, 07:33 PM
All American

hsfan60 is on a distinguished road
Barberton 1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by owencountykentucky View Post
I saw an undefeated Barberton team play in 1947 and I thought they won the State Championship that year. Correct me if I'm wrong.
http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/history/...imeAPPolls.pdf
Old 11-11-17, 09:08 PM
All Ohio

diamondmatch is on a distinguished road
Cheaters never win. BARBERTON BY 14 in a garbage stadium.
Old 11-11-17, 10:10 PM
All Ohio

smash mouth 34
Yeah, this game being played at Green is lame. Not going due to that fact. Rooting for Barberton. Hoban will win. When will we go to 3 public, 3 private divisions? Makes too much sense.
Old 11-11-17, 11:01 PM
All Ohio

owencountykentucky is on a distinguished road
Barberton will find A way to win this game.
Old 11-12-17, 08:23 AM
All Region

chito is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Green places both bands in the end zones.
Old 11-12-17, 11:53 AM
All Ohio

rghrider98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I didn't realize this was their first playoff win. From the 70's through the 90's I know Barberton had some great football teams. That is surprising to hear.
Old 11-12-17, 12:19 PM
All Yappi

frecriss is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rghrider98 View Post
I didn't realize this was their first playoff win. From the 70's through the 90's I know Barberton had some great football teams. That is surprising to hear.
The limited playoff format from those eras really hampered us. We never qualified for the playoffs until 1991 despite having a great program throughout the 70's and 80's
Old 11-12-17, 01:58 PM
All District

FootballCrazy1 is on a distinguished road
Clark back at Hoban after a 3-month stint at Moeller, that was quick, maybe the 4-6 record, hmmmm. Like a revolving door or something. Hoban quite the show I guess.
Old 11-12-17, 06:04 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballCrazy1 View Post
Clark back at Hoban after a 3-month stint at Moeller, that was quick, maybe the 4-6 record, hmmmm. Like a revolving door or something. Hoban quite the show I guess.
That Dad must be something.
Old 11-12-17, 07:02 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Unless little Clark is playing at Green Friday night, I don't much care.

That being said, it's just another parent with the limited intellect necessary to figure out a way to move his kid around without repercussion or breaking the rules.
Old 11-12-17, 07:54 PM
All Region

hoban2020 is on a distinguished road
Moeller program - fills in new juniors and seniors in varsity because they have 350 boys per grade. We’ve seen guys like you before and we’ll see them again.

Hoban program - come here and you’ll see the field immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-17, 08:08 PM
All American

sportster4321 is on a distinguished road
What position does the younger Clark play ?
Old 11-12-17, 08:16 PM
All Region

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
So many great matchups in this game to talk about. Why waste time on non relevant issues?
These 2 teams know each other pretty well. Played each other as freshman in a pretty good game. I think the only one that Barberton loss that year? But that was then and this is now. Hoban has the edge in the trenches, Barberton at QB, skill players all over the field that match up pretty even. Coaching is also pretty even with no edge there. Barberton will bring the whole town and a highly motivated backing. Hoban will come in with a lot of confidence and business like demeanor.

No secret on what will win the game. Turnovers or lack of them, special teams and keeping in check the big play. It will be a chess game with each coach putting best on best. Hoping for a dry night but looks like rain. Close game with scores at a premium. 21-14 Hoban.
Old 11-12-17, 08:41 PM
Junior Varsity

Football Fan 1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster4321 View Post
What position does the younger Clark play ?
Tight End
Old 11-12-17, 09:02 PM
All Region

Redwing is on a distinguished road
I'm curious to hear from someone who follows Barberton closely... what has caused them to take such a leap from last year? I know they were a nice team in 2016, but nowhere near what they've become this season.
Old 11-12-17, 10:32 PM
All Ohio

powertrain is on a distinguished road
Perplexed they are playing this game at Green. I was just there Friday for Rootstown and Norwayne and Live in Jackson so very familiar with Green stadium. Stadium seats 7-8 K but 6K is the green side. The whole city of Barberton will be at the game and no way visitor side will hold them. Bad call by OHSAA on this one. Going to be alot of people standing I can guarantee it. This is also best game in area so outsiders who love high school football will be going to this one as well. Thought for sure infocision. Oh well, bring the folding chair. There will be alot of Barberton fans sitting on the Hoban side. Don't know how well Hoban draws, but sure it will not be as well as Barberton.
Old 11-13-17, 07:19 AM
All District

rpo101 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rghrider98 View Post
I am pretty stoked to see this one. Both teams have thoroughly dominated the Akron area all season and have seemingly been on a collision course to next week. I haven't seen either in person so I cannot give any info otherwise but I will be at this game.

Any thoughts, observations going into this one?
As far as I'm concerned this is the game of the year! I've only seen Barberton play and I can tell you they are very good. They typically come out very strong second half, make adjustments as they need to. Defense is fast! O line big and strong. They give their QB plenty of time to throw, but he will run if he sees the opportunity. Hoban is their only real matchup this year so far. I hope this is at a large venue because a lot of people will be attending this one. Winner of this moves on to the State Championship game. I don't see any remaining team beating either of these teams.
Old 11-13-17, 07:30 AM
All Region

bass10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Green is a very good HS venue other than parking which sucks. They replaced their old field turf this year so it isn't even a season old. Good locker rooms for both teams. It may not be the best place for this game (more suited for the Rootstown/Norwayne game) but will be a great field for this game. I don't think Hoban without a true community will travel nearly as well as B-Town so seating should be OK.
Old 11-13-17, 07:41 AM
All Region

Hoban played a second round game at Green vs Louisville in 2015, that game did not overflow the stands. The venue will be fine.
Looking forward to seeing Barberton but rooting for the Knights....I think.
Good luck to both teams.
Old 11-13-17, 07:43 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10 View Post
Green is a very good HS venue other than parking which sucks. They replaced their old field turf this year so it isn't even a season old. Good locker rooms for both teams. It may not be the best place for this game (more suited for the Rootstown/Norwayne game) but will be a great field for this game. I don't think Hoban without a true community will travel nearly as well as B-Town so seating should be OK.
Bingo.
Old 11-13-17, 07:50 AM
All District

rpo101 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbica001 View Post
I can see all the Highland people picking Hoban already.
Well I don't know I'm a Highland fan or part of the "Highland People", but would like to see Barberton win this one.