Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-08-17, 02:41 PM
Freshman

qwertyrow is on a distinguished road
I would say Wauseon strong favorite
Old 11-08-17, 02:49 PM
Varsity

NEohiowrestler is on a distinguished road
Well now no one cares who wins d2 and d3 State Duals. Good move for Graham but bad move overall for wrestling in Ohio.
Old 11-08-17, 02:50 PM
All American

rjewards is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORE2WIN View Post
It's the name of the town.
St. Marys is not a catholic school either, lots of confusion ba ha ha ha, but in football not wrestling...
Old 11-08-17, 02:54 PM
All District

Cooter26 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEohiowrestler View Post
Well now no one cares who wins d2 and d3 State Duals. Good move for Graham but bad move overall for wrestling in Ohio.
a lot of people do.. but its good for wrestling. it's sorta similar to the states who only have division... you're able to determine what team can compete. it makes it interesting and fun.
Old 11-08-17, 04:08 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
I hope this is suppose to be a joke. Everybody know St Paris Graham Local is a public school and not private catholic.
Old 11-08-17, 04:13 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjewards View Post
St. Marys is not a catholic school either, lots of confusion ba ha ha ha, but in football not wrestling...
Likewise St. Henry. I think they are Catholic in football though, public in all other sports....
Old 11-08-17, 04:27 PM
All American

MitSulHer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Graham Local is a rural school district located in western Champaign County. The school's postal address is ST. Paris OH. OHSAA refers to all schools by the name of the post office site followed by the school district name. For example Casstown Miami East borders St. Paris Graham. Their postal town is Casstown and the school district is Miami East. I hope that clears up how St Paris Graham got their name and why it is not a private Catholic school.
Actually you are wrong. If you look it up St.Paris and Graham, they are two different towns. St.Paris Champaigners (named after the county) is a very successful horticulture school and known for their grapes. Everyone in wrestling knows of the Graham Falcons (named after Eddie Falcon the great WW1 ace). Hope this finally clears things up guys.

Last edited by MitSulHer; 11-08-17 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-08-17, 04:49 PM
All World

said_aouita is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProV1 View Post
Because Graham has no competition in D2. I would bump up too if I were them.
If Graham really cared about the title of "state duals champs" than they'd refuse bumping to D1. The only benefit to them wrestling D1 for the state duals, is the reputed HS national title.
Old 11-08-17, 04:54 PM
All World

said_aouita is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambeau Fields View Post
St. Paris Graham and St. Ed's should have to compete in a separate Catholic school division and let the public schools compete against themselves.
How about a separate division for schools with open enrollment?

Old 11-08-17, 06:07 PM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
If you have Saint in your name + open enrollment, + have at least 2 kids who were held back, should be in their own tournament.
Old 11-08-17, 09:33 PM
All Ohio

ProV1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdrill View Post
If you have Saint in your name + open enrollment, + have at least 2 kids who were held back, should be in their own tournament.
You need to add 1 transfer to the mix.
Old 11-09-17, 07:55 AM
All American

eyes r burning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEohiowrestler View Post
Huh?

Every year people complain about how its Ed's in 1 and Graham in 2. In 1 it's who can MAYBE push Ed's out. In 2 it's always who will finish in 2nd. BORING!

Every year people talk about Ed's/Graham/Blair dual meets and it's always positive for the sport. Now we might get the opportunity to see it twice, but it's bad?

You're right though. It's a terrible for Ohio wrestling to see the two best teams in Ohio, wrestle each other with something tangible on the line. A real title, not a made up paper title.
Old 11-09-17, 08:27 AM
All District

SCORE2WIN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyes r burning View Post
Huh?

Every year people complain about how its Ed's in 1 and Graham in 2. In 1 it's who can MAYBE push Ed's out. In 2 it's always who will finish in 2nd. BORING!

Every year people talk about Ed's/Graham/Blair dual meets and it's always positive for the sport. Now we might get the opportunity to see it twice, but it's bad?

You're right though. It's a terrible for Ohio wrestling to see the two best teams in Ohio, wrestle each other with something tangible on the line. A real title, not a made up paper title.
I agree with you to a point. My problem is that they can pick and chose when they go d1 or when they stay d2. I think that if they want to go up that's fine but there should be a minimum number of years they have to stay there and then see about going back. Seems to me like they are thinking about going up cause they are loaded again but do you think after they lose all their seniors they will want to be up there again next year.

Might just be one last hoorah for jeff before the mic drop. Just so he can say he did it.
Old 11-09-17, 08:40 AM
Freshman

qwertyrow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter26 View Post
so who wins D2 then???
Wauseon has a very loaded team this year and finishing 2nd the last two years I think that puts them in the drivers seat
Old 11-09-17, 09:07 AM
Freshman

Goalsetting is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I agree with you to a point. My problem is that they can pick and chose when they go d1 or when they stay d2. I think that if they want to go up that's fine but there should be a minimum number of years they have to stay there and then see about going back. Seems to me like they are thinking about going up cause they are loaded again but do you think after they lose all their seniors they will want to be up there again next year.

Might just be one last hoorah for jeff before the mic drop. Just so he can say he did it.
Maybe the bottom line is the State Duals haven't taken off like the OHSAA had envisioned and the OHSAA thinks this could possibly be another avenue to promote the State Duals getting 2 power teams in Ohio to showcase both programs and to mix it up in D2? Imo
Old 11-09-17, 09:15 AM
Freshman

Goalsetting is on a distinguished road
I'm all in for anything to help promote the sport of wrestling!
Old 11-09-17, 09:38 AM
All American

Quote:

I wouldn't disagree with setting up some sort of minimum requirement of time.

I have the feeling that isn't a Jeff Jordan type of move, but I can't say that with positivity. Even if that is the case, I'm for the best wrestling the best in Columbus for the duals. They have been stinkers minus D3.
Old 11-09-17, 09:52 AM
All World

Lionattack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyrow View Post
Wauseon has a very loaded team this year and finishing 2nd the last two years I think that puts them in the drivers seat
Steubenville picked up state level transfers and returns a strong line up
Old 11-09-17, 10:24 AM
Freshman

Little Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by said_aouita View Post
The OHSAA is really dumb. Why is a D2 school competing against D1's, in duals?
Because they're good enough?
Old 11-09-17, 11:00 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Red View Post
Because they're good enough?
Strictly for the sake of argument. So if there is a D1 school but they don't have much participation in wrestling, and constantly get beat in duals. Would they be allowed to bump down to 2 or 3 so they could be competitive?
Old 11-09-17, 11:05 AM
All Ohio

Overall, I think it is hard to argue that this is bad for Ohio wrestling. Allowing Graham to move up will then yield a true state dual champion. It will also open up D2 and allow for a competitive tournament. The only downside is that a D1 program (likely Central District) will lose a spot in the final eight but that would not be a competitive team anyway. Overall, the pros outweigh the con.
Old 11-09-17, 11:13 AM
All District

Quote:
Overall, I think it is hard to argue that this is bad for Ohio wrestling. Allowing Graham to move up will then yield a true state dual champion. It will also open up D2 and allow for a competitive tournament. The only downside is that a D1 program (likely Central District) will lose a spot in the final eight but that would not be a competitive team anyway. Overall, the pros outweigh the con.
Once again I agree to a point. All I'm saying is every coin has a flip side. If you are going to allow teams to change divisions for competition levels it should go both ways. If you're going to allow a team who is killing it in d2 to move up to d1. What's the argument for a d1 team that is always getting their a** kicked bumping back to d2 or even d3 if they think it will make them more competitive?
Old 11-09-17, 11:15 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Strictly for the sake of argument. So if there is a D1 school but they don't have much participation in wrestling, and constantly get beat in duals. Would they be allowed to bump down to 2 or 3 so they could be competitive?
There are lots of examples where you are allowed to bump up if good enough. High school wrestlers are allowed to compete in college opens. Gable Stevenson won Datronics last weekend. College kids playing in pro golf events. The inverse does not make sense on any level.
Old 11-09-17, 11:23 AM
All World

Quote:
Agree. It virtually assures that both the DI and DII races will be competitive. I don't see how that is a bad thing.
Old 11-09-17, 12:12 PM
All District

craftAmaniac is on a distinguished road
But little Mikey's team might not make it if Graham takes their spot ��
Or Timmy on Eds will have to wrestle big bag Steve from Graham and not get is team championship ��

There is nothing wrong with top teams facing each other. That's the way it should be
Old 11-09-17, 12:36 PM
All Ohio

darthmalice is on a distinguished road
Be nice if Graham is plugged into a central region for balance, but will become Unicron and devour the Region 7 powers; Butler, Centerville, Wayne, and a Cincy school( sometimes Mason) thrown in for dessert. Be funny if the script was flipped; region 8 would get the region 7 treatment( Graham would be the Dayton team that gets thrown in). Love to see LaSalle vs. Graham.
Old 11-09-17, 06:12 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
The rule in PA for a team that opts up to big-school instead of where they'd be based on enrollment (i.e. Bethlehem Catholic most notably, but there are a couple others on a lesser scale) is that they have to do so for the full enrollment cycle. Namely they can't go up/down year-to-year.

I think Graham moving up - if they do - is good for both D1 and D2. D1 is already competitive, and gets a further boost; while the currently competitive climate for second, and farce for a championship, gets to be competitive for a championship. That being said the team that qualifies for D2 dual team state instead of Graham isn't likely to be one that adds a lot to the puzzle.
Old 11-10-17, 07:08 AM
All District

gitreal is on a distinguished road
It's Graham Local. They are a public school.
Old 11-10-17, 07:40 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitreal View Post
It's Graham Local. They are a public school.
SAINT PARIS... Catholic.

He killed a dragon. Show some respect to him and his catholic school.
Old 11-10-17, 07:52 AM
Junior Varsity

getridofspam1 is on a distinguished road
How is this fair to D1 schools? I'm not an Ed's fan or whoever might win it this year but you are potentially taking away a state title from some kids. What about that kid who has worked his butt off to make the lineup in his senior year for St Eds? They are favored to win it and then all of sudden Graham bumps up this year and takes away that title. Next year they don't think they can win it and stay at D2. Any kid in that situation is screwed. What about a team like Lasalle who has a once in a lifetime team with all of the stars aligning and a chance to win it all. Now Graham comes up and takes away the only chance in school history of them winning a title and they finish 2nd.

You are doing this for one team and only one team right now. I am not blaming Graham here. I have a lot of respect for that program.

It is not like Graham doesn't ever wrestle the top programs in the state and so this makes that happen. It is all about money and nothing to do with the kids. We have divisions based on enrollment for a reason. It should have stayed that way.

I always root for Graham because they represent Ohio but I will be rooting for them to lose this year in the hopes it keeps this from happening in the future. Actually I probably wont because it is Jordan's last year and they are very classy people.