Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-09-17, 10:48 AM
All World

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spille View Post
Datillo to Moe, unless he is simply waiting for Ramsey at Elder to resign.
Literally, 0% chance he leaves Sycamore. He's making awesome $, and there's no pressure to win.

Ramsey isn't leaving Elder for at least 4 yrs, maybe longer. His replacement will likely be Currin, the current DC, or Mark Miller.
Old 11-09-17, 10:59 AM
All World

Bballer05
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjewards View Post
If enough money is offered, he will walk, government pensions aint what they used to be....
they can't come close to offering what he makes at Sycamore.

he is going NOWHERE.
Old 11-09-17, 11:06 AM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
Literally, 0% chance he leaves Sycamore. He's making awesome $, and there's no pressure to win.

Ramsey isn't leaving Elder for at least 4 yrs, maybe longer. His replacement will likely be Currin, the current DC, or Mark Miller.
I want to see a little more before I believe he's ready for that move.
Old 11-09-17, 11:07 AM
All Region

cincifbfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjewards View Post
If enough money is offered, he will walk, government pensions aint what they used to be....
They are a lot better than private schools. He will make over 80k/year in retirement. That is more in retirement than Moeller will most likely be able to even offer a coach to both teach and coach.
Old 11-09-17, 11:51 AM
All Region

4GX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASESWIMPARENT View Post
Money talks 4GX, Money talks and some of these assistants at the big schools make a lot of money.
He has another option, which might well pay as well, and not require getting down in the mud with the pigs— motivational speaking— I have heard that he may be able to translate his (quite well-developed) public speaking and motivational skills into a lucrative paid public-speaking career...

I realize that Specht is not as well known as Coach K— but I know (from a friend who is very close with Coach K) that K could (easily) exceed all the money he makes from coaching basketball and other endorsements (e.g.- shoe contracts, etc.), if he chose to throw himself full-time into public speaking— he can command 7-figure appearance fees from a decent number of corporate clients— think about the kind of fees that well-known politicians (and operatives) have earned (whether you like/agree with them or not)— Obama, Clinton, Carville, Rove, Matalin, Kissinger, etc.— they can EASILY exceed $10 Million/year in speaking fees, with additional book sales on top of that (and future books’ success ensured by continuing to speak and remain in the public arena)...

Specht might be able to have a smaller version of that kind of career—and, if he stops coaching now, he could gradually segue into that career, while still maintaining his current position as an administrator at X— which cuts the risk dramatically (the pay to coach football is trivial— not saying the the admin pay is that great either— but it’s, by far, the bulk of his current comp)... and that’s got to seem more attractive than being the overworked, under-appreciated (and verbally abused) lackey of somebody like Harbaugh, while also having to immerse himself in the sordid, seedy, seamy side of college football (recruiting)— ask Wesley Person and Rick Pitino about that...
Old 11-09-17, 12:10 PM
All American

CometCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4GX View Post
He has another option, which might well pay as well, and not require getting down in the mud with the pigs— motivational speaking— I have heard that he may be able to translate his (quite well-developed) public speaking and motivational skills into a lucrative paid public-speaking career...

I realize that Specht is not as well known as Coach K— but I know (from a friend who is very close with Coach K) that K could (easily) exceed all the money he makes from coaching basketball and other endorsements (e.g.- shoe contracts, etc.), if he chose to throw himself full-time into public speaking— he can command 7-figure appearance fees from a decent number of corporate clients— think about the kind of fees that well-known politicians (and operatives) have earned (whether you like/agree with them or not)— Obama, Clinton, Carville, Rove, Matalin, Kissinger, etc.— they can EASILY exceed $10 Million/year in speaking fees, with additional book sales on top of that (and future books’ success ensured by continuing to speak and remain in the public arena)...

Specht might be able to have a smaller version of that kind of career—and, if he stops coaching now, he could gradually segue into that career, while still maintaining his current position as an administrator at X— which cuts the risk dramatically (the pay to coach football is trivial— not saying the the admin pay is that great either— but it’s, by far, the bulk of his current comp)... and that’s got to seem more attractive than being the overworked, under-appreciated (and verbally abused) lackey of somebody like Harbaugh, while also having to immerse himself in the sordid, seedy, seamy side of college football (recruiting)— ask Wesley Person and Rick Pitino about that...
Maybe but Kerry Combs hasn't seemed to mind being an assistant at UC and OSU since leaving the great success at Colerain--coaches coach and I suspect that Specht is ready to coach at a higher level if the rumors are true--are all of his own kids done at the HS level after this year? Best time to move up would be when you are wanted--he would be wanted
Old 11-09-17, 12:16 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincifbfan View Post
They are a lot better than private schools. He will make over 80k/year in retirement. That is more in retirement than Moeller will most likely be able to even offer a coach to both teach and coach.
Bingo cinci--Dattilo at Sycamore will retire with an Ohio STRS pension of $80,000 or better with 35-40 years vested into the public school system. The STRS health coverage has been rising since I retired in 2012, but it's still doable with a 35 year monthly pension from STRS. My wife works at a Catholic elementary and her retirement will be minimal to what STRS pays with public employees now contributing 13% of each paycheck to their retirement--it forces employees to do without during their career, but makes for a good retirement. Dattilo would be nuts to give that up to be the coach at Moeller or Elder--he has it very good at Sycamore
Old 11-09-17, 12:16 PM
All District

JetSweepAudible22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'll take that bet! I don't see Dreyer applying at all. I think he found his "spot." He found out that his offense doesn't work against GMC/GCL Competition. Also, he lives in Anderson and grew up that area of town.

Mahon I could see, but again, Little Miami seems to be a good fit, and he is an admin up there. But, then again, the LM Levy just failed, that could mean bad things for the district like not too long ago.

Stranger things have happened, but we shall see.
Little Miami levy didn't fail, but the proposed 3.7 million bond issue to build a new school (and other things) didn't pass. Little Miami is growing again....and fast....they've had hundreds of new students enrolling in the district over the last 5 years and are trying to stay ahead of the curve. The bond issue being voted "no" is obviously a huge let down for the district, but I don't think it will affect Mahon. Why would he go anywhere? He is administrator who also gets to coach....you don't see that too often anymore. I think he has a good thing going over there and the district will continue to grow which helps football.

McLaughlin should be the easy pick here.
Old 11-09-17, 12:25 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometCountry View Post
Maybe but Kerry Combs hasn't seemed to mind being an assistant at UC and OSU since leaving the great success at Colerain--coaches coach and I suspect that Specht is ready to coach at a higher level if the rumors are true--are all of his own kids done at the HS level after this year? Best time to move up would be when you are wanted--he would be wanted
Kerry Coombs and Steve Specht have VERY little in common— Combs is a bad proxy for projecting what Specht will do.

Last edited by 4GX; 11-10-17 at 01:02 AM.
Old 11-09-17, 12:36 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSweepAudible22 View Post
Little Miami levy didn't fail, but the proposed 3.7 million bond issue to build a new school (and other things) didn't pass. Little Miami is growing again....and fast....they've had hundreds of new students enrolling in the district over the last 5 years and are trying to stay ahead of the curve. The bond issue being voted "no" is obviously a huge let down for the district, but I don't think it will affect Mahon. Why would he go anywhere? He is administrator who also gets to coach....you don't see that too often anymore. I think he has a good thing going over there and the district will continue to grow which helps football.
You are correct, I mis-spoke, it was a bond. You are also correct about Little Miami busting at the seems. I have relatives that live and work in district & every time I venture out that way, there are more new neighborhoods springing up. LM will eventually wind up a huge D1 school like Mason. The whole area will turn into huge sprawling suburb after all the farms are sold off to developers.
Old 11-09-17, 12:40 PM
All District

allnight is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSweepAudible22 View Post

McLaughlin should be the easy pick here.
I think the real question on here should be who is going to get the LaSalle job?
Old 11-09-17, 01:26 PM
All World

Vox Crusada is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMantle View Post
Touche. Maybe I don't know. From the outside, it seems a bit silly to let a two-time state champion go after three mediocre years.
Not just mediocre. Historically the worst ever in the history of the school.
2015 - tied worst record ever at 5-5
2016 - set new standard for worst record ever at 4-6
2017 - set another new standard for worst record ever at 4-7, including 4 blowout losses in second half of season.

Do you see the negative trend here?
Old 11-09-17, 02:07 PM
This is the year

gocards is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox Crusada View Post
2017 - set another new standard for worst record ever at 4-7, including 4 blowout losses in second half of season.

Just losing to Colerain would be justification enough for firing a GCL football coach.
Old 11-09-17, 02:33 PM
All Yappi

Termite2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

What about Faust's 4-6 record in 62'?
Old 11-09-17, 04:09 PM
All Yappi

MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Moeller is going to have these years now, especially when injuries happen. It's not the 70s anymore. Elder was 4-5 in 2010 and 2-8 in 2011. They didn't run their 2-time state champ off.
Old 11-09-17, 04:24 PM
All American

Quote:
Kerry Combs and Steve Specht have VERY little in common— Combs is a bad proxy for projecting what Specht will do.
Interesting all-knowing 4GX--do you mean "bad proxy" as a coach, teacher, family man, etc... I know Combs has been very solid in all of those categories--just saw him 2 weeks ago walking the field at Mason Stadium wishing the Fairfield and Mason kids and coaches good luck prior to the game--pretty down to earth guy creeping up on 55 years old
Old 11-09-17, 04:28 PM
All Region

GCLFan99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bballer05 View Post
they can't come close to offering what he makes at Sycamore.

he is going NOWHERE.
Unless Moeller requires the head coach to also teach at Moeller (I know other coaches have taught at other schools), then why couldnt Datillo continue to teach at Sycamore and coach at Moeller? That would allow him to draw a higher public school teacher salary while remaining enrolled in the very generous state teacher retirement system.
Old 11-09-17, 04:31 PM
All Region

GCLFan99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Kerry Combs and Steve Specht have VERY little in common— Combs is a bad proxy for projecting what Specht will do.
They are both highly successful high school football coaches, fiery motivational type coaches and coaches who could parlay their success into a well paid college job.

I don't know either personally so I cannot comment on their similarities or differences as people, but as coaches I see a lot in common.

Last edited by GCLFan99; 11-09-17 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-09-17, 04:54 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCLFan99 View Post
They are both highly successful high school football coaches, fiery motivational type coaches and coaches who could parlay their success into a well paid high school job.

I don't know either personally so I cannot comment on their similarities or differences as people, but as coaches I see a lot in common.
That's exactly what my initial comparison of Combs and Specht was getting at--both very successful and terrific at motivation--but of course 4GX knows all--LOL!
Old 11-09-17, 05:14 PM
Ron Jeremey Stunt Double

skins99 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to skins99
Quote:
In 2005, Colerain (Division I defending state champions, Ohio) beat Robert E. Lee (5A defending state champions, Texas) by a score of 27-12. That is about the only objective measuring stick that we have, and SW OH won.
They beat what is their d2 equivalent. Hardly a good measuring stick using one game, 12 years ago as the sample size.
Old 11-09-17, 05:48 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins99 View Post
They beat what is their d2 equivalent. Hardly a good measuring stick using one game, 12 years ago as the sample size.
Actually in 2004, Lee was the 5-A Div 1 Champs, the largest division in the state at that time. It was big school champ vs big school champ, and is the only measuring stick that we have to go by as a sample size.
Old 11-09-17, 05:57 PM
All American

Pope Francis 1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Termite2 View Post
What about Faust's 4-6 record in 62'?
Moe crowd doesn't count that year because it was a losing season....
Old 11-09-17, 06:02 PM
All American

Pope Francis 1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish82 View Post
You guys are drunk if you think SWO is better than Texas.

Tyler Lee finished 4-6 the year Colerain beat them.
Only 2 things come from Texas......
Old 11-09-17, 06:18 PM
All Region

Quote:
Interesting all-knowing 4GX--do you mean "bad proxy" as a coach, teacher, family man, etc... I know Combs has been very solid in all of those categories--just saw him 2 weeks ago walking the field at Mason Stadium wishing the Fairfield and Mason kids and coaches good luck prior to the game--pretty down to earth guy creeping up on 55 years old
Well, putting aside whatever reservations I may have about Coombs off the field (a loaded topic for another day—and not necessary to delve into here, in order to discuss what Specht will do), I meant that Specht has made himself very clear about his distaste for the college coaching game (specifically the recruiting aspect of it— something that all college coaches have to participate in— but which assistant coaches are especially called upon to do in copious amounts)... he said directly and explicitly that he does not want to do it (kind of like the first George Bush and eating broccoli— “not gonna do it”)— and I take the man at his word... whereas (CLEARLY), Coombs has no problem with that aspect of the game.

(Kind of ironic, huh?— the school that is regularly — and falsely— accused of recruiting players is led by a guy who hates recruiting, and wants no part of it, while the school that supposedly just takes whichever players show up on its doorstep, and is often held up as a paragon of “the way to do it right/fairly/appropriately”, by public school advocates, was largely built by a guy who embraces recruiting— and has even had that as one of his job titles at both of his college stops.)

But, you who are not connected to St. X High School just seem to know better— and insist that this HAS to be where Steve Specht is headed next... I am far from all-knowing (and have never claimed to be)— just strongly opinionated, and not shy about expressing them... but you all who watch from well outside the St. X circle must just know better— I only know what the man himself told me (and several hundred other Rotarians) within the last 9 months.

Last edited by 4GX; 11-10-17 at 01:02 AM.
Old 11-09-17, 08:19 PM
Varsity

mike45069 is on a distinguished road
Would the Moeller coach go to Middletown, if offered? It would be a little bit of a rebuild, but he has won at every school he has been at, just not at any public schools.
Old 11-09-17, 09:19 PM
All District

BaBa au Rum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike45069 View Post
Would the Moeller coach go to Middletown, if offered? It would be a little bit of a rebuild, but he has won at every school he has been at, just not at any public schools.
Except for McNick and Roger Bacon. I could be wrong, but I'm willing to bet that his overall record is pretty close to .500
Old 11-09-17, 09:29 PM
All Ohio

LEONARD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Bingo cinci--Dattilo at Sycamore will retire with an Ohio STRS pension of $80,000 or better with 35-40 years vested into the public school system. The STRS health coverage has been rising since I retired in 2012, but it's still doable with a 35 year monthly pension from STRS. My wife works at a Catholic elementary and her retirement will be minimal to what STRS pays with public employees now contributing 13% of each paycheck to their retirement--it forces employees to do without during their career, but makes for a good retirement. Dattilo would be nuts to give that up to be the coach at Moeller or Elder--he has it very good at Sycamore
This is a very solid point, one that I dont think a lot of Moe ppl get. Like you said STRS and OPERS employees get 13% matching, Moeller offers 4%

Obviously, hopefully we get Pat.

And the talent was there. They have had atleast 3 D1 players a year for the last 5 years. Had probably a half a dozen kids from this year team who will play D1 ball. The knock on them lately was that we were a recruit all star team who would find ways to lose, lack of, if any in game adjustments and the way in which we were losing. Happy its finally over.
Old 11-09-17, 09:31 PM
All World

Blue Rhino is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
Rody applied for the La Salle job in 1999, and they gave it to a former St. Edward coach--Jim McQuaide who went 15-25 in four years at La Salle.

Rody applied for the La Salle job a second time in 2003, and they gave it to Tom Grippa who went 59-44 in ten years including three playoff appearances.

Does Rody come back begging a third time or does he have too much pride to go back to the team who snubbed him twice?
Easy fix....John goes to LaSalle and Pat goes to Moeller...
Old 11-09-17, 09:38 PM
All Ohio

LEONARD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rhino View Post
Easy fix....John goes to LaSalle and Pat goes to Moeller...
This would be the best Christmas gift
Old 11-09-17, 09:48 PM
All District

BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I had not thought about this option but you are right. His Thursday afternoon pre game speeches are legendary

Last edited by BASESWIMPARENT; 11-09-17 at 10:07 PM.