Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-08-17, 10:42 AM
All Ohio

bluengoldblinders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMantle View Post
La Salle has a guy on staff right now with the title of assistant head coach or some such that should get the job without any questions asked.

I mean, that is if Pat leaves for Moeller. I'd have a hard time turning down my alma mater. That said ... expectations at Moeller are absurd these days and they're bordering on Massillon levels of illusions of grandeur. Objectively, you take a step back before taking that gig.
What makes you believe you have any legitimate idea what the expectations are at Moeller? Iím confident you have no idea what youíre talking about.

If itís unreasonable to expect to compete for league and state championships, then youíre right, but Iíd imagine those are the expectations at all GCL schools, right?

As a football alumni of Moeller, my problems were what was becoming a list of issues on and off the field that shouldnít happen. Iíd like to see the program win and lose with class and again, compete for league and state titles. Getting blown out and losing games at the current clip wouldnít fly at any of the other GCL schools too, so If thatís ridiculous, so be it.
Old 11-08-17, 10:59 AM
All American

CometCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD1 View Post
Moeller and St. X both replacing coaches in the same offseason. I canít imagine thatís happened before.
Odd I heard the same thing about St. X last night as well--rumor that he is going to Michigan with Harbaugh--
Old 11-08-17, 11:13 AM
All Yappi

Spille is on a distinguished road
Datillo to Moe, unless he is simply waiting for Ramsey at Elder to resign.
Old 11-08-17, 11:24 AM
All Region

cincifbfan is on a distinguished road
I don't see Dattilo going anywhere. He makes over 100k at Sycamore, has lots of years in public school pension. Plus, he has the keys to the castle over there in Sycamore. Again, I don't see the upside for someone like him. I would be shocked if he ever left, even for Elder. The Arch-diocese retirement is a joke. I know money isn't everything but the expectations and ridiculous people at Moeller, I definitely wouldn't see that as a move up from Sycamore in any way.
Old 11-08-17, 11:28 AM
Varsity

Real is on a distinguished road
Playing for Coach Rodenberg was a different experience. There were days where you hated his guts and there were days where you were on top of the world with him. Aside from actually teaching football, Rody taught me everything about work ethic and being a team player. He opened up every opportunity I could ever need. Coach Huxel was the heart beat of the program and turned us into men. He cared for every player that came in and wanted to work. While change may have been needed, I along with many of his former players are thankful to have been with him.
Old 11-08-17, 11:29 AM
Lancers lead the way!

Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I mean, that is if Pat leaves for Moeller. I'd have a hard time turning down my alma mater. That said ... expectations at Moeller are absurd these days and they're bordering on Massillon levels of illusions of grandeur. Objectively, you take a step back before taking that gig.
Why would Pat want to go to a team with no home stadium? The locker rooms at Lockland are hot houses no one wants their team in at half time. La Salle has a state of the art field turf just put in this year. It's has miniture rubber balls to cushion a fall when a player goes down. It's the same kind of field turf as at UC.

Why wouldn't Pat want to stay where he can contend for a state title every year since La Salle is DII?

Why would Pat want the pressure cooker that is Moeller? Being a head coach is enough stress without the added expectations Moeller puts on their football team, especially the head coach. If Crable couldn't make it at his alma mater, who's to think Pat would have an easier time.
Old 11-08-17, 11:32 AM
All Yappi

MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengoldblinders View Post
What makes you believe you have any legitimate idea what the expectations are at Moeller? Iím confident you have no idea what youíre talking about.
Touche. Maybe I don't know. From the outside, it seems a bit silly to let a two-time state champion go after three mediocre years.
Old 11-08-17, 11:33 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
Why would Pat want to go to a team with no home stadium? The locker rooms at Lockland are hot houses no one wants their team in at half time. La Salle has a state of the art field turf just put in this year. It's has miniture rubber balls to cushion a fall when a player goes down. It's the same kind of field turf as at UC.

Why wouldn't Pat want to stay where he can contend for a state title every year since La Salle is DII?

Why would Pat want the pressure cooker that is Moeller? Being a head coach is enough stress without the added expectations Moeller puts on their football team, especially the head coach. If Crable couldn't make it at his alma mater, who's to think Pat would have an easier time.
Because it's his alma mater.
Old 11-08-17, 11:44 AM
All Region

4GX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometCountry View Post
Odd I heard the same thing about St. X last night as well--rumor that he is going to Michigan with Harbaugh--
Specht has stated categorically, at a large public forum, in front of hundreds of people, during this calendar year, that he has no interest in being a college coach, and does not EVER see himself coaching in collegeó he finds the entire environment to be sordid, unseemly, unethical, and distastefuló because of what college coaches seem to be compelled to say and do, to recruit players...

So, I donít know if he will be back coaching X next yearó but I feel fairly confident in saying that he will NOT be coaching in college next year.
Old 11-08-17, 11:45 AM
All District

BaBa au Rum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Look at his record! I would be willing to bet he brings in a better staff than what you've seen in the past!
Old 11-08-17, 02:15 PM
Freshman

executive director is on a distinguished road
We will be fine once the season is done and the new staff is pulled in. Excited for the next chapter.
Old 11-08-17, 02:26 PM
All Yappi

Spille is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincifbfan View Post
I don't see Dattilo going anywhere. He makes over 100k at Sycamore, has lots of years in public school pension. Plus, he has the keys to the castle over there in Sycamore. Again, I don't see the upside for someone like him. I would be shocked if he ever left, even for Elder. The Arch-diocese retirement is a joke. I know money isn't everything but the expectations and ridiculous people at Moeller, I definitely wouldn't see that as a move up from Sycamore in any way.
The expectations could be a reason why he would take the job. I think Moeller is definitely a step up from Sycamore. Now, while Moeller may not match the pay and benefits of Sycamore, the Moeller mystic, the tradition, history and expectations are reasons why he would take the job. It would be more of a challenge considering the state of the program and how quickly it has fallen in the last 3-4 years. He's a terrific young coach. Honestly, if the Elder job came open in the next 5 years and he was offered but didn't take it, I'd be shocked.

I know Grippa couldn't wait to get back into the GCL after he left Elder to take the Fairfield job.
Old 11-08-17, 02:59 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat is on a distinguished road
I guess he should have won three straight titles to keep his job.
Old 11-08-17, 09:16 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If the allure of coaching your alma mater is so strong, why didn't Jim Louder coach at Roger Bacon, his alma mater, instead of coaching 12 years at La Salle.
Old 11-08-17, 09:55 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
If the allure of coaching your alma mater is so strong, why didn't Jim Louder coach at Roger Bacon, his alma mater, instead of coaching 12 years at La Salle.
Was he offered a job? Was the job open during his 12 years at La Salle?

Maybe the allure was strong, but remaining at La Salle was a better decision.
Old 11-08-17, 11:02 PM
All American

wildbill044
Let’s hope Pat gets the opportunity and takes it. I appreciate everything Rodey did for the kids and I wish him well, but I’m glad he’s gone. He rode the shoulders of Pat M. and Klonne and Lippincott to his state titles. Crable was unsuccessful here because he tried to instill 1970s tactics into kids who were not used to that type of leadership. Pat is a smart guy and terrific play-caller running an innovative offense. I guarantee it will be way more effective than just turning and handing the ball off to a kid with straight up zone blocking, slamming him straight ahead into the line, hoping he finds the crease, while praying offensive linemen would hold the blocks. Defensively, I am confident that he could find the right people to surround himself with. Even if he can’t, I would be completely happy being the Mentor of the south with at least a slightly better D.

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves, though. Let’s keep our fingers crossed he’s on the Moeller sideline next year.
Old 11-09-17, 01:00 AM
All District

BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins1 View Post
Yes X did win it last year at 5-5 regular season. But if you look at their schedule this year compared to last year they didn't play St. John's Boscos (CA) they had Hinsdale, Illinois who was horrible if you saw the game. They played Walnut Hills this year instead of Mentor and they played and they played a Canadian team this year instead of Warren Central (IN) and we all know how bad Canadian teams are. Again, just saying you can't continue to expect wins when you play the schedule Moe has played the past three years. Same schedule next year so the new HC will have some work to do to get to 5-5 or better especially if the McBride (QB) doesn't play next year. Just my opinion. GBM!
Regular season wins are meaningless unless you are talking about league games. Get into the playoffs and make a run. Moeller made it into the playoffs and was not competitive. Their lack of success has nothing to do about scheduling. I do not know what the reason is but scheduling is not a problem.
Old 11-09-17, 01:08 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometCountry View Post
I would not be surprised if he went the D1 college route. He has an amazing defensive mind. But I would be surprised if it is Michigan. Ohio State maybe because he knows Urban from way back but my guess is that he goes somewhere smaller to get his feet wet. I don't know anything just speculating
Old 11-09-17, 01:11 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4GX View Post
Specht has stated categorically, at a large public forum, in front of hundreds of people, during this calendar year, that he has no interest in being a college coach, and does not EVER see himself coaching in collegeó he finds the entire environment to be sordid, unseemly, unethical, and distastefuló because of what college coaches seem to be compelled to say and do, to recruit players...

So, I donít know if he will be back coaching X next yearó but I feel fairly confident in saying that he will NOT be coaching in college next year.
Money talks 4GX, Money talks and some of these assistants at the big schools make a lot of money.
Old 11-09-17, 06:59 AM
All American

Big D 185 is on a distinguished road
I have had two boys go through Moeller recently. Most of you know who I am and who they are.
1 - I am friends with Crable. I think he is an awesome person and I love his coaching style. However, my boys were on the varsity squad 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015. None of those boys were Crable's. (Other than the 2014 QB - his son)
2 - In my opinion, losing Pat M. as the offensive coordinator after the second state championship was devastating. He is awesome and my boys love him. Look at what Pat did at Reading and even the initial surge at Princeton. With Pat running the O, we would have beat Wayne in the semis and would be vying for a third straight title in 2014.
3 - The 2014 and 2015, the scoring dropped way off. Moe was winning and losing games by kicks. In fact, in 2014 through week 3, the defense had outscored the offense.
4 - Everyone talks about team speed. The 2013 team, with my son and Gruber as running backs did not have speed either, yet they handily beat a loaded Colerain team. Same in 2012, other than Watkins, Moe was not a speedy team. It was great play calling and solid defense that won those championships.
5 - JR is a great coach. He motivates the boys, he mentors them and he leads them. However, not having the supporting cast he had through 2013 hurt. Hopefully Coach Rodenberg stays at Moe and continues on with the program.
6 - Past results in sports never relates to future success. Times change, the game changes and people change. Programs have to change with it.
7 - While the advice from the GMC folks is appreciated, it's hard to put a lot of stock in it without the results. I hope Mason keeps rolling, with the number of kids enrolled, it shouldn't be that much of a stretch and they continue to get better. Boldin always keeps Colerain in the hunt, but has yet to reach the top of the mountain. Moeller, Elder and X play the same incredible schedules every year and still succeed. Downgrading the schedule isn't going to make them better, only feel better until they lose to a 5-5 team in the playoffs.
The GCL has won 3 Division 1 titles in the past 5 years and 3 division 2 titles in the past 3 years. Hard to question their methods.

Best of luck to all of the local teams! I would love to see a SW Ohio team in the finals every year. I travel to Texas often and I always brag that SW Ohio football is better than all of Texas football!!
Old 11-09-17, 08:12 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D 185 View Post
I travel to Texas often and I always brag that SW Ohio football is better than all of Texas football!!
I agree overall SW Ohio is better. Remember when Colerain beat the crap out f the Texas team over 10 years ago? It was great. Texas has a some great teams, but not the overall consistency that we have here in Cincy area.
Old 11-09-17, 08:16 AM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
You guys are drunk if you think SWO is better than Texas.

Tyler Lee finished 4-6 the year Colerain beat them.
Old 11-09-17, 08:30 AM
All Region

In 2005, Colerain (Division I defending state champions, Ohio) beat Robert E. Lee (5A defending state champions, Texas) by a score of 27-12. That is about the only objective measuring stick that we have, and SW OH won.
Old 11-09-17, 09:23 AM
Freshman

gotoguy1 is on a distinguished road
Heard it first...Arcuri from Indian Hill
Old 11-09-17, 09:35 AM
All Ohio

DaPope is on a distinguished road
I'll bet you $1,000,000 Nate Mahon and Evan Dryer both apply!
Old 11-09-17, 09:56 AM
All Ohio

tonka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPope View Post
And Jeremy Pflug.
Old 11-09-17, 09:59 AM
All Ohio

tonka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D 185 View Post
I have had two boys go through Moeller recently. Most of you know who I am and who they are.
1 - I am friends with Crable. I think he is an awesome person and I love his coaching style. However, my boys were on the varsity squad 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015. None of those boys were Crable's. (Other than the 2014 QB - his son)
2 - In my opinion, losing Pat M. as the offensive coordinator after the second state championship was devastating. He is awesome and my boys love him. Look at what Pat did at Reading and even the initial surge at Princeton. With Pat running the O, we would have beat Wayne in the semis and would be vying for a third straight title in 2014.
3 - The 2014 and 2015, the scoring dropped way off. Moe was winning and losing games by kicks. In fact, in 2014 through week 3, the defense had outscored the offense.
4 - Everyone talks about team speed. The 2013 team, with my son and Gruber as running backs did not have speed either, yet they handily beat a loaded Colerain team. Same in 2012, other than Watkins, Moe was not a speedy team. It was great play calling and solid defense that won those championships.
5 - JR is a great coach. He motivates the boys, he mentors them and he leads them. However, not having the supporting cast he had through 2013 hurt. Hopefully Coach Rodenberg stays at Moe and continues on with the program.
6 - Past results in sports never relates to future success. Times change, the game changes and people change. Programs have to change with it.
7 - While the advice from the GMC folks is appreciated, it's hard to put a lot of stock in it without the results. I hope Mason keeps rolling, with the number of kids enrolled, it shouldn't be that much of a stretch and they continue to get better. Boldin always keeps Colerain in the hunt, but has yet to reach the top of the mountain. Moeller, Elder and X play the same incredible schedules every year and still succeed. Downgrading the schedule isn't going to make them better, only feel better until they lose to a 5-5 team in the playoffs.
The GCL has won 3 Division 1 titles in the past 5 years and 3 division 2 titles in the past 3 years. Hard to question their methods.

Best of luck to all of the local teams! I would love to see a SW Ohio team in the finals every year. I travel to Texas often and I always brag that SW Ohio football is better than all of Texas football!!
This is well written and has excellent points. I agree on pretty much everything. Often times, outsiders look at just the head coach when the coordinators and position coaches can make a big difference. The close losses in 2015 and 2016 are well documented.

Also, SW Ohio is the greatest.
Old 11-09-17, 10:09 AM
All World

Bballer05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spille View Post
Datillo to Moe, unless he is simply waiting for Ramsey at Elder to resign.
this will never happen.

he also won't go back to Elder to coach football unless he wants to keep coaching after he retires from teaching.
Old 11-09-17, 10:27 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPope View Post
I'll take that bet! I don't see Dreyer applying at all. I think he found his "spot." He found out that his offense doesn't work against GMC/GCL Competition. Also, he lives in Anderson and grew up that area of town.

Mahon I could see, but again, Little Miami seems to be a good fit, and he is an admin up there. But, then again, the LM Levy just failed, that could mean bad things for the district like not too long ago.

Stranger things have happened, but we shall see.
Old 11-09-17, 10:27 AM
All American

rjewards is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincifbfan View Post
If enough money is offered, he will walk, government pensions aint what they used to be....